PDA

View Full Version : With Venus' loss today....

JenCpLvr
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Does that better Jen's chances for qualifying for YEC if she's successful at Philly??

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
I hope so. Someone with no top ten wins doesn't really deserve to be there.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Does that better Jen's chances for qualifying for YEC if she's successful at Philly??

Define successful for Jennifer. Is it great for her to just make the quarters, semis? For most of the top players successful means winning the tournament, but that's something Jennifer, hasn't done much of in her lengthy career.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:37 PM

We've had #1's who haven't even won grand slam titles. If Venus by chance gets the YEC then she gets there.

SerenaSlam
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
it will come down to who advances the furthest in Philidelphia. B/c venus right now has a 32 pt lead over jeninfer.

It will be interesting. I think venus will get out of her first round match. I think that will be Jennifer's biggest test though. And with that said, its a nail biter as to who will advance the farthest. venus seems to be so off and on. after she wins her first rounds who knows. But it will be extremly close. i still think that venus may end up going to YEC instead of jennifer b/c jennifer has never been well at playing a match after such a long break. she hasn't played since usopen right?

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Venus has no wins against the top ten, even with her 2 titles. Could that all of a sudden change at the YEC? I don't think it will. I think Venus really needs a top ten win soon for her confidence or she'll just embarass herself in LA. Even with no titles Jen's won more against top players.

I just read something funny. Anna K leads 3-1 in head to head with Jen. :o

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
You could also say a person who didn't win a title in 2004 doesn't deserve to be there, so Venus and Vera would be more deserving than Jennifer at this point.

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
So they should be there even if they didn't have to beat anyone in the top 8. Cos that's who they'll have to be able to compete with in LA. It doesn't really matter there will be enough withdrawels for both Vee and Jen to make it. There always is.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
So they should be there even if they didn't have to beat anyone in the top 8. Cos that's who they'll have to be able to compete with in LA. It doesn't really matter there will be enough withdrawels for both Vee and Jen to make it. There always is.

If they earn enough ranking points in 2004 to qualify, then they derserve to be there. The only reason either one is going is because Justine is too sick to play for the rest of the year. Other than that, either one would be going as an alternate. As far as withdrawls, the only possible withdrawl I can see at this point is Lindsay becuase she has the flu and I highly doubt she will still be sick on 11/8 not to play.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Please shut up Lizchris :rolleyes:

Jennifer might not have won a title this year but she's beaten Serena 3 times Myskina and Sharapova something Venus hasn't done and Jennifer reached 2 semis in GS while Venus has reached 1 QF I think this proves who deserves it more you should be the one blushing now :o

Kart
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Except that if she does qualify she does deserve to be there.

You get the points, you get the place - all the women know the score.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM

Jennifer might not have won a title this year but she's beaten Serena 3 times Myskina and Sharapova something Venus hasn't done and Jennifer reached 2 semis in GS while Venus has reached 1 QF I think this proves who deserves it more you should be the one blushing now :o
Since that is the case, then why is she now behind Venus in the YEC race?

If you can't asnwer that, then it's you who needs to shut up.:rolleyes: :fiery:

And you can kiss my ass while you are at it.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM

You shouldn't say that; you make a lot of sense!

DevilishAttitude
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM

Because shes been injured a lot this year and has been unable to play a lot and before you say Venus has been injured more she got injured during tournaments rather than before :rolleyes:

So unfortnately for you I can't kiss your ass but you can kiss mine :kiss: :tape:

SJW
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
i hope not. would shut a few of you people up :wavey: Jennifer has hardly set the world alight this year. what is it? 28-11? :)

Hurley
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM

Man. It's time for you to discover the comma and the period.

JenCpLvr
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Define successful for Jennifer. Is it great for her to just make the quarters, semis? For most of the top players successful means winning the tournament, but that's something Jennifer, hasn't done much of in her lengthy career.
LoL.. Exactly the type of comment I expect from someone of your caliber.. HAHA.. That made me laugh, thanks! :lol: :lol:

invictus
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
btw where is Jennifer? :o

Is she injured or something?

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
OMG!!! lichris!!! take your medicine!!! Now your having a fight over Jen fans!!!!!!!

This is Venus fault, she sucks!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
btw where is Jennifer? :o

Is she injured or something?

its her annual indoor season hibernation :o

mboyle
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:47 PM
You could also say a person who didn't win a title in 2004 doesn't deserve to be there, so Venus and Vera would be more deserving than Jennifer at this point.
titles mean nothing. In Vera's case, she just enters tier three and fours every week. Of course she's going to win a few titles. Has she done anything noteworthy this year? Not even close. Not one major quarter-final, not one major win, nothing. Venus has won titles over Kuznetsova pre hot-streak and Martinez. Not nothing, but not that impressive. Jennifer has been to two slam semi-finals. Venus? Not one. At this point, it is obvious that Jen deserves it more.

Ryan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:49 PM

lol, thats so true. If jennifer can make 2 GS semis and beat numerous top players but STILL doesnt have more points than Venus, she definately doesn't deserve to go. :rolleyes:

mboyle
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:50 PM

Right, so when Clijsters/Mauremo/Henin-Hardenne got to no. 1, the system needed to be changed, because Venus and Serena wer OBVIOUSLY better. When Venus goes an entire year without reaching a slam semi-final, without beating a top ten player, and without making the semis or better of 50% of her tournaments (just 6/14,) and yet qualifies for the YEC, the system is fine and we should all shut up, right?

SJW
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
we should all shut up, right?

right. :)

SJW
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
lol, thats so true. If jennifer can make 2 GS semis and beat numerous top players but STILL doesnt have more points than Venus, she definately doesn't deserve to go. :rolleyes:

right. she has made two slam semis a slam quarter, a final of a Tier I and i still think she hasnt broken the "30 win" barrier :o

Martian Willow
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Right, so when Clijsters/Mauremo/Henin-Hardenne got to no. 1, the system needed to be changed, because Venus and Serena wer OBVIOUSLY better. When Venus goes an entire year without reaching a slam semi-final, without beating a top ten player, and without making the semis or better of 50% of her tournaments (just 6/14,) and yet qualifies for the YEC, the system is fine and we should all shut up, right?

Do you remember Kart saying that?

DannerCal
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Jennifer had the Flu. Still not sure why she did not add an event in October though.
Regardless - she will go to the YEC as the last player, and alternate, or someone else will pull out and she will get the next spot. Venus did not play last year - and she qualified, so.....

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
titles mean nothing. In Vera's case, she just enters tier three and fours every week. Of course she's going to win a few titles. Has she done anything noteworthy this year? Not even close. Not one major quarter-final, not one major win, nothing. Venus has won titles over Kuznetsova pre hot-streak and Martinez. Not nothing, but not that impressive. Jennifer has been to two slam semi-finals. Venus? Not one. At this point, it is obvious that Jen deserves it more.

You're right; titles mean nothing but mroe ranking points, more money and a trophy.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should call Larry Scott of the WTA and tell him that because Jennifer was more sucessful at the Slams this year than Venus that she deserves to go to the YEC. And I tought most Americans were against affirmative action:confused: .

jcaprulez
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
It'd be better if they both made it. But can anyone explain why it's not ok when Maria wins titles without playing anyone her own level but it's perfectly acceptable for Venus.

SJW
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
It'd be better if they both made it. But can anyone explain why it's not ok when Maria wins titles without playing anyone her own level but it's perfectly acceptable for Venus.

cuz maria accepts appearance fees double the total tournament prize money :wavey:

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Because she is a Slam winner who is in the top 10.

I don't remember Martina, Iva, Monica or Serena playing these type of tournaments when they won their first Slams.

Kart
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM
right. :)
You beat me to it this time.

mboyle, why don't you go out and pick out all those posts where I suggested the system ought to be changed when Kim/Justine/Amelie got to no.1 ..... when you can't find them take SJW's advice.