PDA

View Full Version : One bad season wont break a career

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:54 PM
So Venus, hold your head up and continue improving...You are so much better than your recent results...Next season will be here shortly and I know you will rise to the occasion...I love you V...:hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss:

Katha-Ger
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
i also think that everyone can have a bad year and that it is not too bad.but i wondered that venus said she liked this season.... :confused:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
i also think that everyone can have a bad year and that it is not too bad.but i wondered that venus said she liked this season.... :confused:
I guess she learned a lot of lessons...thats what life is about...:shrug:

SilK
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Man... at the the mens side, Agassi slipped out of the Top100, regained himself the next year and won Roland Garros, and he is still on top now...

Plus, a bad year might not be that bad! Lotta points to regain next year...

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
I have a feeling Venus will play better tennis next year than she has this year. But how much better remains to seen.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
She won 2 finals and reached the finals of berlin and stanford. I wouldn't say it's a BAD season.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM
The season is not over yet.
(Linz), Phily, YEC...

darrinbaker00
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Man... at the the mens side, Agassi slipped out of the Top100, regained himself the next year and won Roland Garros, and he is still on top now...

Plus, a bad year might not be that bad! Lotta points to regain next year...
Are you saying that Venus should marry and divorce Brooke Shields? ;)

DevilishAttitude
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
If next year is like this year for her im pretty certain she'll retire :sad:

darrinbaker00
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
She won 2 finals and reached the finals of berlin and stanford. I wouldn't say it's a BAD season.
If you took Venus' name off her 2004 record and put Jane Doe's name on it, most folks would agree with you, but this is Venus Williams we're talking about. She got smoked today, which happens to everybody. Lindsay Davenport has beaten her three straight times this year, but since Lindsay had beaten her 10 times before this year, that's not inexcusable. Venus' other seven losses, however, ARE inexcusable in my opinion. Venus was quoted as saying that she doesn't need to make changes to her game; it sounds to me like she's running for governor of the state of denial. She'll be my favorite player until she retires, and I'm still picking her to win Philly AND the Tour Championships, but if she doesn't shore up that shaky serve and forehand, she can forget about being #1 again.

BK4ever
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
It doesn not break a career but it could be very telling.

Vee has not been in this position in a long time...losing to all these random people. It will be interesting to see how she handles it.

My major problems with Venus are :
She refuses to change anything.
She pays lip service to coming to net, but she does not do it consistently
She knows whats wrong with her serve technique (bad body position) but nothing new
She hits her second serve very shallow and week...not attempt to change it
She hits her FH in the next alot...
She has lost alot of her aggression...
She is living a lie...she keeps saying everything is ok...but the bs losses keep piling up

what is a fan to believe...I'm giving Vee three tournaments next year and then I'm passing final judgement and then I will adjust my expectations and move on.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:28 PM
If you took Venus' name off her 2004 record and put Jane Doe's name on it, most folks would agree with you, but this is Venus Williams we're talking about. She got smoked today, which happens to everybody. Lindsay Davenport has beaten her three straight times this year, but since Lindsay had beaten her 10 times before this year, that's not inexcusable. Venus' other seven losses, however, ARE inexcusable in my opinion. Venus was quoted as saying that she doesn't need to make changes to her game; it sounds to me like she's running for governor of the state of denial. She'll be my favorite player until she retires, and I'm still picking her to win Philly AND the Tour Championships, but if she doesn't shore up that shaky serve and forehand, she can forget about being #1 again.
A BAD season for Venus would be: winning no tournament

esquímaux
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
:haha:

SilK
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Are you saying that Venus should marry and divorce Brooke Shields? ;)

Well, that could do the trick... :cool:

Elvira
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
keep dreaming :cool:

cheo23
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:37 PM

Vee has not been in this position in a long time...losing to all these random people. It will be interesting to see how she handles it.

She knows whats wrong with her serve technique (bad body position) but nothing new
She is living a lie...she keeps saying everything is ok...but the bs losses keep piling up

what is a fan to believe...I'm giving Vee three tournaments next year and then I'm passing final judgement and then I will adjust my expectations and move on.
Everything is So Funny but in a Good Way...Poor Venus! :lol:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM

And Venus sheds a tear at the potential of you moving on.

This bad season will be a mark because it's a chapter in her career but Venus' total career and accomplishments, and what she's meant for tennis is more telling than anything that happened in 2004.

BK4ever
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM

This bad season will be a mark because it's a chapter in her career but Venus' total career and accomplishments, and what she's meant for tennis is more telling than anything that happened in 2004.
are u being cheeky with me :devil:

in moving on I meant accepting her level of play and adjusting my expectations. I think the reason why all these losses have been hard to take is because of our expectations.

look in my sig and you will see that there is no potential of ever truly leaving vee but I have to be real for my nerves and my sanity.

chill out:wavey:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
are u being cheeky with me :devil:

in moving on I meant accepting her level of play and adjusting my expectations. I think the reason why all these losses have been hard to take is because of our expectations.

look in my sig and you will see that there is no potential of ever truly leaving vee but I have to be real for my nerves and my sanity.

chill out:wavey:

Sometimes fans pass off their expectations to mean more than what is going on with Venus in reality. She's the actual player who's performing armchair critics and experts need to chill out :wavey: I would think this year and circumstances would be enough for people to alter their expectations and leave room for understanding.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
So Venus, hold your head up and continue improving...You are so much better than your recent results...Next season will be here shortly and I know you will rise to the occasion...I love you V...:hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss:

Continue improving? This is a joke, right? You call Venus's came an improvement? As opposed to what?

Kart
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Venus could have a hundred years like this one from now on and it still wouldn't break her career.

She's already achieved more than only a fraction of the rest of the tour and that can't change.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
If Venus doesn't get help for her weaknesses, next year will be a repeat of this year. Mark my words.

If you know that you have problems and you don't fix them will they just go away next year? I don't think so.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Preach it!

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:21 PM
I have a feeling Venus will play better tennis next year than she has this year. But how much better remains to seen.

The question is also: how much worse can she get? Losing to a Tier III/IV champion like Sharapova? She's hit rock bottom I say, rock bottom!!!!!! Pick yourself up, Venus, rise from the ashes like a broken spirit, and have a good tournament next time.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
yeah, EVERYBODY slumps. stefii had a horrendous 97.

jrm
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:32 PM
i don't see Venus at the top again

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
i don't see Venus at the top again.

I dont see you regaining your sanity...:shrug:

Jaime Bahena
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:19 PM

You're a university student, right: Philosophy major? It shows.

jean_genie
Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM

Nice words Cam. 2004 has certainly been subpar by her usual standards but here's hoping 2005 is a better year for her. :wavey:

SzavayFi
Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Same with Daniela Hantuchova