PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova def. V. Williams 6-3 6-4

Berlin_Calling
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Masha :D

Vee :sad:

Knizzle
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Venus this is just horrible. Rock bottom is near.

backhanddtl4
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Wow. Venus must really be playing bad to have this happen.

kikker
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
maria :worship:

silverwhite
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Venus, Venus.... You had your chances. :(

UDiTY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Ugh...I thought she had that last game.

Venus just NEEDS to get a win over a top 10 player to be back in it...:sad:

And having a break point and squandering it when your opponent is serving for the match is something Vee needs to stop doing.

Reminds me too much of her losses at the French and the USO.

What were the last 3 points anybody?!?!

Katie
It was a good match by both players,but Masha was just too good during key points!

pigam
:sad:
was Venus horrible, Maria great? or a bit of both?
or was Venus good but maria even better?

I never get to see any matches :(

henree
So for those who saw the match what was Venu's downfall. Unforced errors, serve, forehand, or was Maria that good?

Berlin_Calling
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Anyone see the match? Did Masha play well because her form since Wimbledon has been quite questionable (although she seems to had a good couple first rounds). Looks like Vee had a letdown after yesterday's thriller.

FWTATOUR
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Congrats Masha

tennischick
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Maria :hearts: :hearts:

and they said you couldn't do it :p

Katie
I saw part of the second set and Masha was rock solid.Played fantastic tennis when she needed to.Had some great angled shots at times and her serve was good..Venus wasn't bad at all,but as I said before,Masha was just too good.

Sugiyama=#1
11 matches winning streak.

Spunky83
The match was quite of good quality...Venus just couldn´t cope with Masha´s serve. It wasn´t that Venus played so horrible but Masha was really amazing.

Congrats for beating a Top Ten player Masha (when was the last time???)

!<blocparty>!
V was outplayed. Masha played very well. Congrats.

Better luck next time V. Liking the hair :)

jean_genie
Venus :sad:
Congratulations Maria :)

goldenlox
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
Now it's Sharapova-Dementieva. Who's the most Russian? :boxing:

TheBoiledEgg
Masha outplayed her ;)
better, bigger on the BIG pts ;)

Berlin_Calling
Anyone see the match? Did Masha play well because her form since Wimbledon has been quite questionable (although she seems to had a good couple first rounds). Looks like Vee had a letdown after yesterday's thriller.
And by questionable, I meant hasn't had very big wins (Korea Open and Japan Open don't count as big wins)

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Maria was brilliant but it was scary how easy that was. No top ten win for Venus all year. What's going on?

Congrats Masha!

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admitting it is the first step to recovery. I feel exactly like you do.

There's no use in trying to qualify for the year-ending championships when you haven't beaten any of the other qualifiers in ages. Venus might as well go to Luxemburg and play the Seat Open. She'll get lots of practise.

You can't imagine how annoyed I was when I read her latest update. She said she was going to play Ivanovic whom she had never heard of and she was least concerned to find out about this girl's game. Geez, I have to wonder if Venus' brain is in her forehand or something. Is she fucking serious?

This is just pathetic. I'm so fucking mad that if I bought any Reebox stuff because of Venus I'd have thrown them out. Venus has become the laughing stock of the tennis world.

For all the motherfuckers out there who keep saying she doesn't need help with her game, and for Venus herself, you are absolutely right. Who the fuck needs help to lose?

Mase
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Go ahead Maria!!!!!

Venus....... :sad:

Zhao
to summarise
lets not be deceived by that scoreline...
i think its just a few points here and there...
Masha was able to step up during crucial points...
full of confidence and today is her day...
while Venus was shadow of her 2000-2001 form...
she lead 30-0 on masha's serve on many occasions
yet ended unable to break... if this game was played during 2000
Masha would not have won so easily

Experimentee
Venus :rolleyes:
Apart from the clay season this year has been a joke :o
She needs to regain her confidence and stop losing all those leads :mad:

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
That's a nice win for Mashenka. :) And I think it's important that unlike last year Venus has stayed healthy this year. She could find her form again next year. But she won't find her form if she stops trying and I hope that doesn't happen.

Doraemon
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Where's Bandabou?

Sonja
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Congratulations and well done Maria! :D

Everyone has slumps; Venus will be back! Gotta believe. ;)

Dave B
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
:singer: MA-RI-A....YOU'VE GOTTA SEE HER!

timray
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
:sad:
was Venus horrible, Maria great? or a bit of both?
or was Venus good but maria even better?

I never get to see any matches :(
Venus was good, but maria played a lot better than Venus.
it was fun to see how easy that was. :cool:

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
I really don't care how well Maria played. Venus is a much better player allround that Maria SHarapova, and if Maria went out there to win, what did Venus go out there to do? SHow off her new hairdo and her new dress? Give me a break!

There are two opponents on the court and they should both bring the goods, but Venus is plain out a more experienced player with a better variety in her game than Maria. If Maria outplayed her it's because she allowed herself to be outplayed.

Maria went out there to win and that's what she did because she had her shit together. Venus has no excuse for losing to anyone as far as I'm concerned because I know she has the game to beat them all, but where the fuck is it?

Everybody's talking about 2005, like waking up on Jan 01 is going to change everything. If Venus does not start to get her shit together 2005 is going to be a repeat 0f 2004. ANd since she insists that she just needs to be healthy to have better results, what's her excuse for losing last week and this week. Isn't she healthy, now?

When will she wake up?

pigam
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Venus was good, but maria a lot better than Venus.
it was fun to see how easy that was. :cool:
should I believe you?? :devil: :p

Andy T
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Losing to the reigning Wimbledon Champion is not a disgrace so I don't think V fans should see this as a disaster at all, especially given the fact that she's probably still adjusting to indoor play and the few matches she's played in the last couple of months.

It's a real boost for Masha and her recent form augurs well.

Dan23
Great win Maria..:clap2:
Always had the answers :D

Wojtek
Where's Bandabou?
I wonder what he will post now? :rolleyes:

kikker
Better luck next time V. Liking the hair :)

you must be the only who thinks that :lol:

no1mariafan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Well done Masha :bounce:

Both players played some great shots but maria did dominate Venus with her power and accuracy. Venus didnt even play that bad!

StarDuvallGrant
Better luck next time Venus.

villa
Determination was the difference. Maria wanted it bad and didn't squander her break points/game points, venus on the other hand was extreamly inconsistant in the big point situations. She would go up 0-30 then play a couple of loose points. Her movement was very good but she really does need to get some help with her game- Nothing seems to be changing, when the big match comes she's cuaght out.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Where's Bandabou?

I know ;) Im interested to see his reaction to Sharapova finally beating a top 30 player :lol: :haha:

Im pretty certain it won't be :woohoo: :singer: :bounce:

:hehehe:

timray
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Look the score doesn’t lie, maria won easily. :p
I think maria played very good.
As for venus she didn’t played better before (in 2004)

Beat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
i hope they repeat it tonight on tv.

pigam
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
Look the score doesn’t lie, maria won easily. :p
I think maria played very good.
As for venus she didn’t played better before (in 2004)
ok, I believe you... :yeah:
Congratz to Masha then, I suppose... :sad:

Frank
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
They both played very good tennis. Maria just played one level above Venus though. :)

But for the Venus fans: Don't worry, Venus is definitely on the way back...;)

And for Maria, congratulations and good luck in the next match!

ys
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Masha gave a chance to Vera to make YEC.. Door is still open..

To think about it.. It is all the same tendency... It's becoming an Era of complete players. Players who have no world class physique will struggle. Players who don't have a good technique, like Williamses, will struggle too.. Complete players are taking over the game.. Kudos to Lindsay for managing to greatly improve her footspeed this year.

Dolphin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
WOW!! Awesome scoreline Masha!! :D :yeah:

Good luck Masha & Elena in the Simi final, should be a great match! :)

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Go Maria! Awesome..too bad for Venus...Hope Jenn makes into the YEC but it will be tough!:)

cheo23
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:17 PM
I know ;) Im interested to see his reaction to Sharapova finally beating a top 30 player :lol: :haha:

Im pretty certain it won't be :woohoo: :singer: :bounce:

:hehehe:
He'd probably claim Venus WAs Injuried or some Freakin Excuse..I don't consider him reliable Anyway..since he's Anti Every FReakin Player Besides SERENA!!!!!!!!! U know What I'm SayinG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TIRED OF HIM! :lol:

rabbit_boi_313
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Vee :tears: :tears:
Good luck next time. It's juz not ur day
anyway congratz Masha

anton
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
congrats maria.

venus made too many errors most likely.

can somebody please PM me if they have the match on tape in NTSC?

i have some good matches to trade with.

darrinbaker00
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
The sun was in Venus' eyes. Maria used a corked racquet. The chair umpire announced the scores in Swiss so Venus couldn't tell (s)he was cheating. Yuri Sharapov kidnapped Oracene and threatened to kill her if Venus didn't lose. You see, ladies and gentlemen, there's a perfectly logical explanation for what happened. ;)

Martian Willow
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Maria. :banana:

GermanBoy
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Venus :rolleyes: losing to that .... :ignore:

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Go Maria! Awesome..too bad for Venus...Hope Jenn makes into the YEC but it will be tough!:)
Unless Jennifer can do better in Philly than Venus, Venus will secure the last spot.

Brandon85
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM
I really don't care how well Maria played. Venus is a much better player allround that Maria SHarapova, and if Maria went out there to win, what did Venus go out there to do? SHow off her new hairdo and her new dress? Give me a break!

There are two opponents on the court and they should both bring the goods, but Venus is plain out a more experienced player with a better variety in her game than Maria. If Maria outplayed her it's because she allowed herself to be outplayed.

Maria went out there to win and that's what she did because she had her shit together. Venus has no excuse for losing to anyone as far as I'm concerned because I know she has the game to beat them all, but where the fuck is it?

Everybody's talking about 2005, like waking up on Jan 01 is going to change everything. If Venus does not start to get her shit together 2005 is going to be a repeat 0f 2004. ANd since she insists that she just needs to be healthy to have better results, what's her excuse for losing last week and this week. Isn't she healthy, now?

When will she wake up?
ok your sort of wrong. maria obviously can outplay venus. if her strokes are going and her serve is on she can beat anybody. when jennifer loses i don't whine about how ohhh she played so bad, most likely her opponent was too good or she chokes which is a problem jen has not venus. so why don't you venus fans just admit she was outplayed. the williams sisters arent god!!! they are the best all the time and really aren't the best right now so quit your pointless comments about hoe venus is over blah blah.

Kart
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Oh Venus :sad:.

Never mind though, all these defeats will only make her return to form that much sweeter when it happens :).

QUEENLINDSAY
LOL @ Bandabou,Linchris,Volcana,Infinitti,and the likes!!!!!!!!!

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Poor Venus:(

Frank
Venus :rolleyes: losing to that .... :ignore:
Don't be a bad loser...;)

invictus
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
I watched the match and must say it was pretty good! ;)

Both players played well, maybe Venus just making a bit more errors then usual...

Near the end both players started grunting pretty much, and players grunting = :drool:

cometz9
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Venus :sad: I hope you will do much better in Philly. Good match from Masha :yeah:, best of luck against Lena in the SF.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
The reason why Venus lost is that she did not take the opportunites she had. I was following the score and as far as I was concerned, neither was playing at her best, but when Maria was down 0-30 (and she was a few times), she fought back to win the game. Venus, if she was playing better, should have broken her to love or 15. She did that at the beginning of the match, but when she was broken back, I knew she was in trouble.Venus didn't help herself by not being able to hold serve when she needed to.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM

Why don't you shut the fuck up?

You are the main reason why I hope Lindsay NEVER wins another Grand Slam and from the looks of things, I will be getting my wish.

DEETHELICK
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Maria really did outplay Venus. And she was hungry. Her groundies just looked much more solid.

Venus wasn't really doing much wrong, she was just getting outplayed on the big points.

I was hoping Venus would win and was amazed at how Maria handled her.

Good luck next time Venus, and Go Elena! ;)

apoet29
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
I am amazed at the number of people who continue to insist on slamming Maria. If she doesn't beat a top 20 player, then her Wimbledon win was a fluke. When she does beat a top 20 player, well, that win was a fluke because Venus is not at 100%. That's BS. Venus, as far as I know, has no injury problems of any kind. Her game has not evolved and players are no longer intimidated by her. That is why Venus has had such a bad year. Hopefully, she can look back on this year and learn from it for next year. If Jennifer Capriati can turn her career around in the six weeks leading up to the Australian Open 2001, then Venus can do the same, but she is going to have to want to do it and not just play lip service to it.

Maria fought hard and won this match. She went out determined to win and has done so. As such, she deserves credit for beating Venus. However, you may feel about her, she is the reigning Wimbledon champion, who did beat Serena to win the crown. It wouldn't be a great stretch of logic to say that Maria is capable of beating anyone. You may not like her game, and you may not like her. That's fine, but give credit where credit is due.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
If Maria had her old Wimbledon form, there is nothing Venus (or anyone for that matter) could do. Maria has been crappy since then, but for those two weeks she looked like the #1 player in the world.

Even though V is finally healthy, it's going to take her some time. This indoor stretch is the first time she's played matches fully healthy in about 18 months. In all of her matches this fall, she's had stretches of 5 or 6 games where she's looked like the Venus of old. That in itself is an encouraging sign because it's something we haven't seen all year. Baby steps people.

Elvira
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
:lol: :lol: I will not stop laughing for 5 days :lol: :lol:

Dan23
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Good post apoet29 ;)
Gee theres a few sore losers in here.

LindsayRulez
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Why don't you shut the fuck up?

You are the main reason why I hope Lindsay NEVER wins another Grand Slam and from the looks of things, I will be getting my wish.
What does a wtaworld poster have to do with Lindsay Davenport. If you don't like one of her fans then you don't like her? That's a bit harsh, it must mean that I don't like ANY player (Lindsay included). And how exactly do things look to you, seeing as how Lindsay is #1?

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
Asking for bandabou, I see.....Here he is. Congrats Maria...I made fun of your playing tier IV and not beating top 30 players since Wimbledon, but on the same token...I can congratulate you too when you do well. So....Congrats.

I didn't think you had it quite yet to beat Venus, specially considering the surface....but this proves that you're a top 10 player as Venus couldn't beat you this time....a thing she hasn't done the whole year, so I guess...this was no accident.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Asking for bandabou, I see.....Here he is. Congrats Maria...I made fun of your playing tier IV and not beating top 30 players since Wimbledon, but on the same token...I can congratulate you too when you do well. So....Congrats.

I didn't think you had it quite yet to beat Venus, specially considering the surface....but this proves that you're a top 10 player as Venus couldn't beat you this time....a thing she hasn't done the whole year, so I guess...this was no accident.

:worship:

No excuses and true :worship:

treufreund
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

:lol:

cheo23
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
:worship:

No excuses and true :worship:
I'm Surprised Myself !!!!!!!!!!111 :lol: ..I thought he would Say Something like Venus was injuried or some Type of LAME EXcuse as to why She Lost to Maria SHarapova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SInce he's Anti Every FReakin Player Besides SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 By the Way..Venus GO GET A COACH FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!!!!!!1 U're Makin Way To0 Many Unforced ERRORS !

BK4ever
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM

To think about it.. It is all the same tendency... It's becoming an Era of complete players. Players who have no world class physique will struggle. Players who don't have a good technique, like Williamses, will struggle too.. Complete players are taking over the game.. Kudos to Lindsay for managing to greatly improve her footspeed this year.
are u saying that Maria has a complete game :confused:

fammmmedspin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Wow. Venus must really be playing bad to have this happen.actually she was better than she has been most of the year.

I had doubbts Maria could do it.

Must write out 100 times "Maria is the real thing"....

fammmmedspin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:26 PM
The sun was in Venus' eyes. Maria used a corked racquet. The chair umpire announced the scores in Swiss so Venus couldn't tell (s)he was cheating. Yuri Sharapov kidnapped Oracene and threatened to kill her if Venus didn't lose. You see, ladies and gentlemen, there's a perfectly logical explanation for what happened. ;)
"Swiss":confused: :eek: That would really confuse everyone....

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:28 PM
I really didn't make that much of an excuse for Serena at Wimbledon....I only said that: what happened to fire in that final?! I admit Maria was playing well and totally deserved her win....but I think that if Serena could have mustered just a fraction of her form against Momo, that she would have had made a better match of it..and I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

Back to the topic. What excuses can one make for Venus?! The facts are all there: She HASN' T beaten a top 10 player this year...period. You can' t keep making excuses for that. After sometime...you are what you are and I think this year Venus was just a solid top 15 player. Not more, not less.

esquímaux
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
She won?! :haha: I didn't think she'd actually do it! :haha::haha::haha: Two down, zero to go :haha:

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
I agree there's no excuses. Vee just needs to work on a few things. Hopefully 2005 will be a better year for her. She seems in denial. She claimed to be totally in control of the match against Ana, scraping through isn't control.

Wojtek
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Back to the topic. What excuses can one make for Venus?! The facts are all there: She HASN' T beaten a top 10 player this year...period. You can' t keep making excuses for that. After sometime...you are what you are and I think this year Venus was just a solid top 15 player. Not more, not less.
:yawn: :yawn:

cheo23
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I really didn't make that much of an excuse for Serena at Wimbledon....I only said that: what happened to fire in that final?! I admit Maria was playing well and totally deserved her win....but I think that if Serena could have mustered just a fraction of her form against Momo, that she would have had made a better match of it..and I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

WHATEVER! She made Countless Unforced ERrors in HEr Match Against Amelie Semis AT Wimbledon..by the way..she only won that Match because Amelie hurt or Reinjuried her Back Durin the 2nd SET Where she lead...after the injury timeout SHe Wasn't THE SAME Player!!!!!!!!!!!11

chris whiteside
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:34 PM
I am amazed at the number of people who continue to insist on slamming Maria. If she doesn't beat a top 20 player, then her Wimbledon win was a fluke. When she does beat a top 20 player, well, that win was a fluke because Venus is not at 100%. That's BS. Venus, as far as I know, has no injury problems of any kind. Her game has not evolved and players are no longer intimidated by her. That is why Venus has had such a bad year. Hopefully, she can look back on this year and learn from it for next year. If Jennifer Capriati can turn her career around in the six weeks leading up to the Australian Open 2001, then Venus can do the same, but she is going to have to want to do it and not just play lip service to it.

Maria fought hard and won this match. She went out determined to win and has done so. As such, she deserves credit for beating Venus. However, you may feel about her, she is the reigning Wimbledon champion, who did beat Serena to win the crown. It wouldn't be a great stretch of logic to say that Maria is capable of beating anyone. You may not like her game, and you may not like her. That's fine, but give credit where credit is due.

Fair enough, congrats to Miss Sharapova on winning the match but surely the #7 player in the world should beat the #11 player so we can't take too much out of it.

The next match will be the one to judge her progress by because this time she is playing someone ranked above her.

tennisIlove09
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Good job Maria :woohoo:

Great effort Venus! :hug: I love you no matter what...you'll be back, I'm sure of it :)

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
The match was quite of good quality...Venus just couldn´t cope with Masha´s serve. It wasn´t that Venus played so horrible but Masha was really amazing.

Congrats for beating a Top Ten player Masha (when was the last time???)

I would hardly call the quality of Venus's game at this point in time as being of "top ten" quality. She played horribly, but Sharapova didn't help matters any.

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Venus probably ? will make the YEC Serenas chances look pretty good too of course & now Maria will make Im sure Jenny better come through in Philly!:) Congrats Maria youve beaten both Williams sisters in straight sets this year:) as for the guy who thinks Davenport is finished thats ridiculous shes #1 after all & when shes healthy watch out! Shes the fave for AO '05 Im glad shes didnt retire yet!:)

fammmmedspin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM

I was struck by the fact that when it really really mattered Maria bashed a winner to a corner and Venus missed her first serve and then missed the key shots. You do wonder what Serena beating her in GS, the death of a sister and a frustrating year and a half have on your nerves. Its not will its just the hormones and the brain wiring get you into a state where you can't cope so well with pressure. Alternatively I can't see what her objectives now are. She has GS wins and the FO is a big hurdle to go for. The field and her sister stand between her and more GS and the records are way off in terms of being number 1 or GS totals. Being number 5 or 6 isn't very satisfying if you were number 1 and she has even done the olympics (and fed cup(?)) If you have oodles of money you would really have to like playing to carry on - not sure Venus does - less so if she loses.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
I would hardly call the quality of Venus's game at this point in time as being of "top ten" quality. She played horribly, but Sharapova didn't help matters any.
That's wrong. Venus played better than yesterday. She ran to every ball. She had not as many Unforced Errors as Sharapova had. But Sharapova was able to hit Winners. Venus wasn't able. She did just 8 or so.

LucasArg
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
I will forget this day too:o :sad: :sad: :sad:

faste5683
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry to be redundant, but two words come to mind: Brad Gilbert.

:wavey:

alfonsojose
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Venus' fall is worse than Hingis :sad:

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
What does a wtaworld poster have to do with Lindsay Davenport. If you don't like one of her fans then you don't like her? That's a bit harsh, it must mean that I don't like ANY player (Lindsay included). And how exactly do things look to you, seeing as how Lindsay is #1?

It took her two years to get back there, so what's your point?

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM

Yeah, "perfectly logical explanation" is that Maria kicked some booty!!

AnaIvanovicFan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

maria showed that she is a MUCH better player than venus.

great job masha!

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Yeah, "perfectly logical explanation" is that Maria kicked some booty!!
Maria won 6-3, 6-4. That isn't an ass kicking. Now 6-2, 6-2 is and that is the score in the Venus/Sprem match from earlier in the week.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

maria showed that she is a MUCH better player than venus.

great job masha!

She is a much better player now, but other than her Grand Slam title, all of her other titles this year are Tier III and lower, so that's not saying much.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=Zhao]to summarise
lets not be deceived by that scoreline...
i think its just a few points here and there...
Masha was able to step up during crucial points...
full of confidence and today is her day...
while Venus was shadow of her 2000-2001 form...
she lead 30-0 on masha's serve on many occasions
yet ended unable to break... if this game was played during 2000
Masha would not have won so easily[/QUOTE

Of course, she wouldn't have won in 2000. She was only 13 years old.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
ok your sort of wrong. maria obviously can outplay venus. if her strokes are going and her serve is on she can beat anybody. when jennifer loses i don't whine about how ohhh she played so bad, most likely her opponent was too good or she chokes which is a problem jen has not venus. so why don't you venus fans just admit she was outplayed. the williams sisters arent god!!! they are the best all the time and really aren't the best right now so quit your pointless comments about hoe venus is over blah blah.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd expect this from a Maria fan not a Jen fan. LMAO!

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Maria really did outplay Venus. And she was hungry. Her groundies just looked much more solid.

Venus wasn't really doing much wrong, she was just getting outplayed on the big points.

I was hoping Venus would win and was amazed at how Maria handled her.

Good luck next time Venus, and Go Elena! ;)
If Venus' game was where it's supposed to be Maria could not have outplayed her. venus can do everything Maria does even better but she has not improved those weaknesses that have been plaguing her game for eons.

Of course Maria outplayed her if she didn't do what she was supposed to. And her countless errors are the death of her.

The only thing worst that could happen to Venus Williams, Tennis Player, this year, is getting bagelled or double-bagelled. She's wasting her time trying to qualify for the YEC because her game is nowhere near the level of the others. Maybe she should show up at the weaker tournaments to give them a celebrity boost and score some matches under her belt, but she's turning into Hingis, who couldn't beat the top players because of her weaknesses.

BTW, it's great for Maria that she beat Venus, but why anyone would want to grade her on a win over a Venus that has stunk for most of the year baffles me. Venus has not stepped up to the plate when it counted, therefore she cannot be used to measure anyone's game, which is sad because beating a Williams sister used to mean something a time ago.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
I can't believe this, as bad as Venus has been playing, it takes alot to lose to Sharapova...Alright Venus, enter Linz and get some points, win it, and then storm through Philly and the YEC's. I can't stand theses losses, I think I'm going to cry...

jenny161185
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
well done Maria nice to see you winning at tier one

Calimero377
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM

No, she played better than yesterday.
Still it was not enough.

Calimero377
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM

Complete?
With a proper serve and so?
Well, I saw all the women's slam finals this year .. and ....
:lol:

BTW, you don't improve your foot speed with 28.
Davenport would be a solid #5 with Henin, Clijsters, Serena and Venus playing in their normal form.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Again!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Calimero377
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:00 PM

Now Bandy is already addressing tennis players personally.
Eerie .....

Andrew.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Wow. I eat my words.

Congrats Maria.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
ugh.

looks like venus cant handle power all that well anymore. its depressing to see her being overpowered. vee, i dont care what u do to get it, but i wanna see some form in 05.

hablo
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:42 PM

Pretty gracious in defeat, especially since a bunch of posters are expecting otherwise. ;) :lol: :yeah:

Anyhow, I can't believe what's happening to Venus. . . . At least it wasn't a couple of bagels !

On that note, go Momo go!!

Off topic : I can't believe that Clijsters and Hewitt broke up! Wow.

Frank
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
That's wrong. Venus played better than yesterday. She ran to every ball. She had not as many Unforced Errors as Sharapova had. But Sharapova was able to hit Winners. Venus wasn't able. She did just 8 or so.
Hey David, Mario, whatever your name is...:wavey:

What went wrong dude? :lol:

Foot's Fingers
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Good Win Masha!!!

It's a key win for you!

Btw, i became a little beat tired abt the speach tt Venus ( Serena/Nastya/Kim/Henin/anybody) was not in form.

It's yr problem You are proffessional tennis player So it's yr job to be in form. It doesn't make other player win less deserved.

Foot's Fingers
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Good Win Masha!!!

It's a key win for you!

Btw, i became a little beat tired abt the speach tt Venus ( Serena/Nastya/Kim/Henin/anybody) was not in form.

It's yr problem You are proffessional tennis player So it's yr job to be in form. It doesn't make other player win less deserved. Venus is playing all the year and she lost her fans began to post abt her "not in form" But Masha smtms is not in form as well (USO)

Good luck to Venus
But now it's Masha's time to celebrate her iwn!

lakeway11
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
:yeah:

Jeleno Benesovo
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Venus' fall is worse than Hingis :sad:
don't even compare it! Martina was forced to retire due her injuries, Venus is just playing like shit!

BTW well done, Masha! :yeah: now just grab the trophy! :cool:

cool bird
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Why is everybody so shocked. Venus is not at the level where she can beat a top ten player yet. But it is slowly starting to come togther. After yesterday I knew Venus was not ready to win this title yet. But the most important thing is that she playing matches. She still has a good record for somebody in a slamp 42 and 11 for the year.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Venus is now getting overpowered by her opponents, well what can you say, the comparison with Hingis is looking more true by the day.

Congrats Masha :)

jacobruiz
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
Great win, Masha!!:bounce: Now beat Elena!!:D

Venus - you should consider another coach!

ys
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
are u saying that Maria has a complete game :confused:

We are not talking about "game".. For what it's worth, Venus doesn't have it either and has always been very chaotic and not really intelligent player. So is Maria, of course. But Maria has much more sound basics in terms of technique. Physical strength+technique+speed = complete player. If one doesn't have it by age of 20, one will never be..

Veritas
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:09 PM
I'm :eek: that Maria managed to pull this off in straight sets! I think I've mentioned this before, but I'd always thought the winner of this match would walk away in 3 sets, not 2.

Congratulations Maria! :woohoo: Now hopefully this win will stop all those "Maria hasn't beaten a top-30 player since the US Open" accusations.

Exactly! But personally I don't care whether or not people give Maria credit for her wins. As long as they don't downplay it or come up with fresh new excuses about why Maria will never be as good as so-and-so, then the lack of compliments won't matter much. The results are there. Maria won that day and deserved to. No one can take that win away from her, even if they tried (because that would make them look very hypocritical).

pcrtennis
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:11 PM
I hate seeing Sharapova win...

Come on Venus, comeback next year and pound this overhyped egotistical brat into the ground!!!!!!!!!!!

rhz
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Congrats Maria... better luck next time Venus...

Why can't people just admit for once that their fave lost because the other player played better, not because she hits millions of unforced errors, she has flu, she is injured, she has family problems, etc.....

bottom line Maria wins and Venus lost... if you are a true fan you should give the other player some credit to beat your player.

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
I wonder if Bandabou will cry now? :p

Doggy
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:55 PM

yeah venus sux, i had no idea the injury was gonna do this much damage to her

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:15 AM
Congrats Maria!!! Great win, now go take the next match against Elena!!!
Sad for Venus, but I think she is regaining her form. Indoors has never been her best surface and she'll come back next year and do extremely well. Both players have future GS ability. I still believe that Maria is destined for greatness and will win at least one major in the next 3 years. I'd predict the same results for Venus over the next 3 years as well. That's about as far as I will look into my crystal ball....
2 talented ladies, Maria got the win today.
Venus's career is far from over. I wouldn't be surprised to see her win ANY tournament, GS included.
At this moment in time, I think Masha's next match is EXTREMELY interesting!!!

jbone_0307
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
Venus should be getting use to getting her ass whooped by now??

Doc
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:52 AM
Great win for Maria in straight sets!

She's now beaten two players who have come back into form at these Championships. Both Dani and Venus seemed "up" for their matches against Maria and played as well as I've seen them play all year - and still Maria came through. Venus had the speed and was getting all sorts of balls back. The Eurosport commentator said that venus might be up for revenge for her sister here, and it did look like that for a while. But Maria has looked VERY determined this tournament.

Good luck Maria! Now she faces another very determined-looking player, in Elena, who fought through a very tough 3-setter against Suggs.

Lemonskin.
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:26 AM
Apparently she's only the 5th player to beat both Williamses in one year.

And she's done it without dropping a set! :D

thelittlestelf
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
:eek::sad::bigcry:
:timebomb:

SzavayFi
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:45 AM
Gaaah, this is really quick freightening, Venus better hurry up and make things happen or her Career could become a trainwreck quickly.

Dan23
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:50 AM
A nice photo from after the match :)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/KLO110102214_1024x768.jpg

Junex
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:56 AM
Losing to the reigning Wimbledon Champion is not a disgrace so I don't think V fans should see this as a disaster at all, especially given the fact that she's probably still adjusting to indoor play and the few matches she's played in the last couple of months.

It's a real boost for Masha and her recent form augurs well.

Actually it is a huge disaster!

to some of them, especially the WS fans, masha is just a fluke who had no shame playing in low tier tournaments just for money.
actually they humiliated and questioned the girls wimbledon victory as fluke!

not winning against a top 30 player huh!

of course, masha can always find a way to shut you all up!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:39 AM
Better luck at your next tournament, Venus!!

And congratulations to Masha!!

Rub
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:53 AM
what is happening to venus? where's the venus-thing in her?

franny
Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
Guys, please give Venus time. She's not playing her best right now, but she's still a top ten player and can beat most players outside the top ten. I know it hurts to see these losses, but every player experiences them. Let Vee take her time, eventually she'll regain her form. Maria...I LOVE YOU GIRL!!! You rock! You proved me wrong and you deserve it!

gRaFiC
Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM
oh Maria how fantastic for you :yeah: It's sad to see Venus out of sorts lately but she'll be back, I'm sure :)

gmak
Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
maria was brilliant :worship: :bowdown: :drool: :kiss: :crazy:

venus didn't play bad she was simply outclassed.

and maria served great to get out of those 0-30 situations ;)
she even had an ace on second serve at 30-30! :eek:

Brandon85
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd expect this from a Maria fan not a Jen fan. LMAO!what's that supposed to mean?

Sammm
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
A nice photo from after the match :)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/KLO110102214_1024x768.jpg
I thought Maria had better skin than that.

WF4EVER
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Now that Sharapova has beaten Dementieva, Venus will think she didn't do so badly and she'll never get help.

kikker
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
I thought Maria had better skin than that.

she's 17 , did you really think that she had an acnefree face :rolleyes: :lol:

Sammm
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Hey Kikker :wavey:
Her skin is really good, but if she wants to be a model.............

kikker
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Hey Kikker :wavey:

hey sammm :wavey:
she never said she wanted to be a model but hey they can
allways paintbrush it like they do it with the real models ;)

starr
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Hey. Until someone shows a correlation between good skin and good game, who cares?

Sammm
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
hey sammm :wavey:
she never said she wanted to be a model but hey they can
allways paintbrush it like they do it with the real models ;)
I'm sure she said she was interested in modelling ...doesn't that mean she wants to be a model?? ;)
Anyway, I need some of that paint :lol: :lol:

InDemand
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Actually... There are a few models and actresses with bad skin. Vanessa Williams, Stephanie Seymour and Cameron Diaz immidiately come to mind. All considered top beauties.

backhanddtl4
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
I'm sure if Venus played like she is able to play....She would have destroyed her

Geisha
Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
I thought they were both very equal. Venus made errors on BPs while Maria won them. That was the main difference, I think.

Frank
Oct 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Hey. Until someone shows a correlation between good skin and good game, who cares?
Hmmmm...But then we would have another problem. Is it good skin that causes a good game, or is it a good game that causes good skin? :p

Jaime Bahena
Oct 23rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Wow. Venus must really be playing bad to have this happen.

My sentiments exactly. Serena must also really be playing badly to lose to Sharpova at Wimbledon.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:01 PM
I'm sure if Venus played like she is able to play....She would have destroyed her

Here we go again: the "if" word.

Frank
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Is it really that difficult to give some credit to the player who beats your favourite?

Jaime Bahena
Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Believe what you want: it won't change the score of the match

kikker
Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
I'm sure she said she was interested in modelling ...doesn't that mean she wants to be a model?? ;)
Anyway, I need some of that paint :lol: :lol:

well actually she's more interested in designing clothes
than becoming a model, but who cares acne smacne everyone has them
except me offcourse i am perfectly acnefree :p