PDA

View Full Version : Turning point for Venus Williams?

Pureracket
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Venus has had some incredible victories and defeats in her moderately long career. That victory over Davenport in the final of Wimbly(=) must rank up there with one of the best victories for her. Likewise, the loss to Myskina in the quarters of the '04 French(=) must be one of her lowest moments.

However, I don't know if there is a match as import for this fan as the one that she is playing right now agains Maria Sharapova. There are several reason that this may be so crucial, but the main reason is that Maria's chaotic game is so similar to the flashes of brilliance that Venus used to show herself.

If Venus loses this match, this will be, in my mind at least, one of the signals that there is a definite changing of the guard. The era of Venus, Hingis, Kournikova(one of the best eras since Evert/Navratilova) is officially over.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Well, she is down a set and a break...so :shrug:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Whooohhhooooo...she just broke back...:D

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, you knwo? Venus is so erratic. She was up 40-15 and now it's deuce.

While I have a lot of respect for Sharapova's steely, unabashed countenance at Wimbledon I am not that impressed by her game. I think she needs to mature a lot in terms of her game, therefore unless she's playing outof her mind Venus should be able to beat her.

I was so disappointed after she got broken for 4-2 I had to leave.

Consistency, consistency.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
BTW pureracket I totally disagree with your post. If Venus loses it may prove to be a disappointingly painful one for her but I know Venus has the ability to play better. If Venus was playing at her 2000, 2001, 0r 2002 levels with these results I might agree with you, but I know she can play better. If she doesn't improve she's as good as done, but only time will reveal that.

Beat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
The era of Venus, Hingis, Kournikova is officially over.
i have a feeling that there's a mistake in this sentence.

tennischick
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
i am not sure what a Venus loss to Maria would mean but a win would work wonders for her self-confidence.

Pureracket
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
i have a feeling that there's a mistake in this sentence.?:confused:

tennischick
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
i think he's wondering what's Kournikova doing in that sentence. i agree :lol:

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
If Venus loses this match, this will be, in my mind at least, one of the signals that there is a definite changing of the guard. The era of Venus, Hingis, Kournikova(one of the best eras since Evert/Navratilova) is officially over.
It has when Venus fell out of top 10 last year. Now at 24, she is a veteran slam winner in a new era, more like Pierce. But I thought this is a great era as well. There is more dynamics in the tour now since anyone can win anything, and yet they are not unknown players like the ATP slam winners.

BK4ever
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
I have some comments about Vee's game and where she is headed but :taped:

its really sad to see a champion end up like this! such is life...

tennischick
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Maria 6-3 5-3 :eek:

MarkyMark
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
BTW pureracket I totally disagree with your post. If Venus loses it may prove to be a disappointingly painful one for her but I know Venus has the ability to play better. If Venus was playing at her 2000, 2001, 0r 2002 levels with these results I might agree with you, but I know she can play better. If she doesn't improve she's as good as done, but only time will reveal that.

are u also pureracket by chance???? Just wondering, I know it would be so weird to question whether someone was actually pretending to be two different posters just to post something about Venus and pretend to disagree about it?????

kikker
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
maria to serve for the match :bounce:

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
are u also pureracket by chance???? Just wondering, I know it would be so weird to question whether someone was actually pretending to be two different posters just to post something about Venus and pretend to disagree about it?????
Is that possible?:lol:.

Pureracket
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
It's officially over- for me, at least. This match was historical.

MarkyMark
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Is that possible?:lol:.

well i know it is possible, there is this guy in jenns den who pretends to be about three different people, his posts are all alike and he joined all three posters at the same time(month/year) it is totally bizarre. You can tell when they are the same poster when they back up each others statements and stuff. This one was funny because WF4Ever disagreed with pureracket but by the end of the post had said the same stmt pureracket said

tennischick
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
now that Maria has spanked both Sisters what do the critics have to say now? :rolleyes: :tape:

BK4ever
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
now that Maria has spanked both Sisters what do the critics have to say now? :rolleyes: :tape:
why does every thing in this place has to be a fight :fiery:

one break per set is not a spanking, but she definitely played better on the big points than Vee...

to me this loss is not worse than any other she has had this year.

Pureracket
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
now that Maria has spanked both Sisters what do the critics have to say now? :rolleyes: :tape:Kinda thinking that this comment was silly and inappropriate in this thread.:eek:

DA FOREHAND
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Venus has had some incredible victories and defeats in her moderately long career. That victory over Davenport in the final of Wimbly(=) must rank up there with one of the best victories for her. Likewise, the loss to Myskina in the quarters of the '04 French(=) must be one of her lowest moments.

However, I don't know if there is a match as import for this fan as the one that she is playing right now agains Maria Sharapova. There are several reason that this may be so crucial, but the main reason is that Maria's chaotic game is so similar to the flashes of brilliance that Venus used to show herself.

kournikova? Surely you are joking. :lol: If there were players defining that era anna wasn't among them...more like Hingis, Davenport , Venus. Kournikova would fall in w/the Coetzers, Hubers, Pierce and Martinez crowd...and a notch or two below that group..

Pureracket
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
You all,
I was not necessarily talking about victories and tournaments wins. Certainly, Kournikova doesn't rank among the greats in that category. I was referring to the amazing popularity and boldness of womens tennis that the presence of these three women ushered in. In that sense, Hingis, Kournikova, and Venus should be lumped together.

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:05 PM
That's a good win for Maria even if Venus isn't playing at a high level. Masha is playing good tennis late into the season while while still playing under the WTA AER and that's a good sign as far as her endurance goes. Well done Mashenka! :D

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
You all,
I was not necessarily talking about victories and tournaments wins. Certainly, Kournikova doesn't rank among the greats in that category. I was referring to the amazing popularity and boldness of womens tennis that the presence of these three women ushered in. In that sense, Hingis, Kournikova, and Venus should be lumped together.
I think so as well. Ever since Hingis retired in 2002, #1 player in the world has always changed each year. So I guess this is what you call a transition era. Anna's niche in that era is replaced by Maria. We will just now need a new rivalries on the top and some threatening #3-#5 in the world to have an era. Amelie is too lower profiled as Lindsay's rival.
I do think that when Justine comes back she'll be like Venus of Hingis era.
Serena will soon rise to become #1 player's rival, and lastly, maybe Amelie will win a slam and take on the #1 player in the world role. Then that's when tennis will become real popular:).

Last year, we had Kim and Justine, but no one took the Anna role on the tour and no one could threaten Kim and Justine.

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
There is no fight, BK. Everyone has repsect for Venus and Serena and deservedly so. But I must admit what TC wrote about what Masha's critics would have to say about her win over Venus crossed my mind too.

VW#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM

Not only is that wildly inappropriate for this thread, but that shows the high level of immaturity you have. Obviously it's too hard for you too comprehend, that at least the critic's on this board problem with Maria has always been the hype in the media. Sharapova with each match is showing more and more the hype is justified, but how many people have we seen have one good or great year and then not be able to duplicate it? I would imagine that due to your own ignorance you haven't even noticed that that statement above shows how much respect you have for the Williams Sisters and what they can do on a tennis court

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Media hype for tennis players is nothing new, VW. Sharapova, Kournikova, Hingis, the Williams sisters and Andy Roddick have all received an immense amount of media attention before they even did well professionally. I think the hype for Masha and Roddick is different because of the internet. When Hingis and the Williams sisters were hitting the tennis scene in the mid 1990's the internet was a much smaller place then. Now it's hard not to find media on Sharapova and others because it will be available on the internet and that's why it seems Sharapova gets more media attention than the other players did when they were starting out their professional careers. But it all comes down to results and Masha is starting to build on her huge Wimbledon triumph. But it takes time to do so. Alot of time.

MLF
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Venus Williams can be back at the top of the game if she wants it and wants to work hard enough to do it again. I mean, she's had an injury ravaged season and is still in the top 8 for the race to LA. Not bad going at all.

The problem for Venus this year is getting momentum. Every time she seems to get something going she has suffered a set back which has put her back to square one. For a start she shouldn't have played in Australia, she wasn't ready having missed half the previous year. Then she finally found some great form on clay winning in Charleston, Warsaw and getting to the final of Berlin only to pick up an ankle injury in her semi with Sprem which put an end to the momentum she'd built up . She plays a great final in Stanford with 2004 hardcourt queen Lindsay, looks very good in LA, only to sprain her wrist and suffer another setback. Though these losses are hard to take at least she's playing, looks like making LA and all this should help her for next year.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Venus Williams can be back at the top of the game if she wants it and wants to work hard enough to do it again. I mean, she's had an injury ravaged season and is still in the top 8 for the race to LA. Not bad going at all.

The problem for Venus this year is getting momentum. Every time she seems to get something going she has suffered a set back which has put her back to square one. For a start she shouldn't have played in Australia, she wasn't ready having missed half the previous year. Then she finally found some great form on clay winning in Charleston, Warsaw and getting to the final of Berlin only to pick up an ankle injury in her semi with Sprem which put an end to the momentum she'd built up . She plays a great final in Stanford with 2004 hardcourt queen Lindsay, looks very good in LA, only to sprain her wrist and suffer another setback. Though these losses are hard to take at least she's playing, looks like making LA and all this should help her for next year.
That's right ;)

mboyle
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
If you are looking for a turning point, it was the loss to Shaughnessy at Miami in '03. Venus has never been the same since. Her last hurrah was (probably) her Wimbledon final of that year, but, even so, Venus was not one of the top two or three players from January through June of that season.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
I will never agree that Venus came out too soon after her injury. None of the injuries which she suffered subsequently had anything to do with the injury that sidelined her!

Venus played well in HK and played well until she injured herself in Australia. Everyone knew she had sprained her ankle when she lost to Lisa Raymond.

She could have come out in March or May and still gotten injured regardless. I saw her match in the HK final and she was fine. All she needed was more matches to get into a groove, but her injuries prevented that.

I'm confused as to why people are blaming her bad season on returning too soon when she has not been bothered by that stomach tear since she returned (as far as we know)

And she's not injured now (as far as we know) so what's the problem? Venus needs to wake up and smell the shit because it's spinning off all sides of the fan. She needs help: that's the bottom line. No amount of matchplay will fix what is technically wrong with her game. It can help sharpen her game but it can not correct the flaws if she doesn't recognize and acknowledge them.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM

Venus has the ability to play better, that's for sure. Unfortunately, Maria is only seventeen, and the ability to play better than she did against Serena at Wimbledon, and Venus at Zurich. Kinda scary, right?

Ryan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
You all,

I completely agree. Anna may not have won a thing in singles, but she was THE woman's tennis player from 1997-2002. Noone was more popular than her, and her popularity definately allows her to be in the "era" of Hingis, Venus, and Davey.

I think this match had lots of significance too Pureracket. I'm hoping though, that Venus will call it quits for this year and come back strong in 2005. :fiery:

P.S. I never thought that I'd ever root this hard for Venus to win again. :o