PDA

View Full Version : I guess that VENUS is the standard by which all players are now measured.

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:40 AM
This information has been in several articles about Hantuchova:

Hantuchova, a lanky 5-foot-11, 123-pounder who joined the tour in 1999, had extended top-ranked Venus Williams to three sets earlier this year in the third round of the Australian Open

Even though Dani is a very good player, who is now on a solid path to a possible future win over VENUS and and even a Grand Slam title someday, the following little factoids do not seem to be mentioned:

No mention is ever made of the fact that she also went three sets against Mauresmo, Davenport and Capriati.
They also fail to mention that VENUS put a doughnut on the young Slovak as well.

But, I guess that is just another indirect compliment to the talent of VENUS and her affect on the sports world.

The standard questions now are; did they win a title, how did the person play and how did they do against VENUS.

However, all this being said, I enjoy have my fave as the measuring stick for a players ability. ;) :cool:

GoDominiqu
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Reasons why they mentioned that match:

1. It was only 2 months ago, while the other matches mentioned were older.

2. Venus is no. 1, so she IS the standard by which all the players are measured RIGHT NOW, and that means only today, because from tomorrow on it will be Jen again. :p

Nimi
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
yes Jen!

daNieLa iS cUtE
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Although I like Venus, I'm with GoDominique on that. It's blatantly obvious that the other results weren't mentioned because they were played last year. The amount of bias on this forum sometimes is amazing...:eek:

(I'd also add that she is the measuring yardstick because she IS the world no.1 right now, but taking into account when the article was written, maybe the argument would not be valid)

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:07 PM
I think even when Jen is number one Venus will still be the player that most players are compared with!

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Angeles87 - It is good to see the words of intelligence and logic. :cool:

GoDominiqu
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:42 PM
TeeRexx - then please avoid to read your own posts ! :p

Brαm
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:46 PM
LOL @ GoDominique :D

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Some of you guys are my personal violin that I just love to play from time to time. :p :cool:

GogoGirl
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Firstly, I’m left wondering about the poster that has listed on his/her every post - Venus’s title record so far this year. What, pray tell is the point of that? Who here is willing to state that if Venus had entered into a tier one tourney this year – she would have lost it? How can someone win a tier one tourney if one doesn’t play in a tier one? We – shall see how she performs next week at her first tier one event.

Secondly – Venus played in twelve tourneys last year – and she won six tourneys. I’m not for sure, how many tourneys Martina played in last year. But I do know it was a heap. She only won three – and neither of those were tier ones. I don’t know – maybe it’s just me – but I believe Venus will try her best to win the tier one tourneys she enters – and for that matter, she will try to win each and every tourney she enters.

So my point again is, why would some try to demean the titles Venus has won so far in 02? IMO – having that kind of attitude does not bode well for posters like that – because they may see that their fave will never win another tier one title (let alone a slam), this year. After all, Daniela just snatched one tier one title from Martina – and IMO – this could only mean that she is definitely in the running and on top of the heap – in trying to win another one, this year.

I mean – why do folks think Lindsay is coming back for the Pilot Pen – which is a tier one? She and Venus played each other in the finals last year. She and Venus may also meet in the finals this year – but we have to wait and see. Surely, Venus wishes to defend her title and have the momentum going into the US Open. So like Lindsay, players are aware of the tier ones, to include Venus.

It just does not make any sense to me that some would try to demean Venus’s tourney wins this year – for this time last year – she hadn’t played in any of the tourneys she won this year. + She thought Serena was playing in Sydney, and that is most likely why, she hadn’t committed to it. And we know why she didn’t enter the PLO tourney in IW. So posters that feel like that, may need to think twice and tread carefully – for hopefully, next week – Venus will defend. And, ya might just get what you ask for. After all, Venus is just getting warmed up – so look outtttttttt!

TeeRexx - I think maybe the reason Venus was mentioned in the latest articles is because she is at #1 right now - until twelve midnight tonight. I have read some articles - where they mentioned, Venus, Jen & Lindsay, all had been taken to three setters by Daniela.

On another note - why is it being bandied about that Martina caved in, didn't try, hit too much down the middle, made no effort, etc....? I mean - are those questions asked when she comes up against other power players? What was her problem last year at the US Open? I mean - Serena took it to her. She was not able to dictate the match and Serena was. DICTATION - is usually the adjective used when describing a tennis match between two players. Not all the time - mind you - for there are many matches where there is never a clear cut dictator. But - when one is playing a power player - said player usually dictates - and this may mean making a lot or errors and winners by said player.

I mean - look at the amount of errors Serena made last year in the semi against Martina at the US Open. I don't remember Serena having a heap of errors. Matter-of-fact - in the last set - she served 100% percent. In the semi match between Venus & Cappy - Cappy got no more than six winners - and she had more errors than Venus - yet Venus dictated the match. So - it all depends on if a player either misses or hits - for the most part. And of course, there are the forced errors to be considered.

When Martina was out there playing yesterday - she was not playing by herself. There was someone on the other side of the net - and she was not chopped liver. She was a real human being - w/her own agenda. Though Martina - is great at redirecting the ball - that chore was taken away from her yesterday, because of the pace of Daniela's shots. Some, must think Martina had all the time in the world to set up for her shots -in order not to hit the short ball or hit them back down the middle. Daniela's - just like anybody else's pace, has something to do with how their shots are hit back.

It is not as if Martina had all day to contemplate how and where to hit a shot back - because she only had a second or two. And the pace of Daniela's shots had her completely off guard. The same can be said for the way Serena played Martina at last year's US Open. Serena dictated that match, as Daniela did last night. Martina had to react to Daniela's act (shot). Point blank! The question in my mind that needs to be answered is how and when can Martina start dictating a match? She used to - even against Venus, Jen and Lindsay - so why not now?

I could elaborate - but I have to go start dinner - and I already write too much as it is, at times.

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Angeles87 - It is good to see the words of intelligence and logic. :cool:

:wavey: Thank you Tee :kiss:

Bright Red
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Venus is the true benchmark. It's against her, that I measure all others.

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Well, I just thought it was an interesting occurance that only VENUS was mentioned and not theses other top players.
Nothing mean, just an observaion, that's all.

Hey, VENUS will be #2 starting on Monday, so I guess that Capriati will be used as the measuring stick now. :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:59 PM
I only think Daniela is compared to Venus because they are both powerful, tall and lanky players.

Nothing wrong with comparisons as long as they fit and I at least think Daniela will soon be challenging Venus for Grand Slam titles.

Williams Rulez
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Venus has been used as a benchmark cause she is the toughest player to beat, and has the highest winning percentage (match and title) on the tour for 2 years straight, so it is a good benchmark.

LucasArg
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Williams_Rulez
Venus has been used as a benchmark cause she is the toughest player to beat, and has the highest winning percentage (match and title) on the tour for 2 years straight, so it is a good benchmark.

I agree and the WTA players too:D

Jakeev
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Damn Lucas who is that.....:p :drool: