PDA

View Full Version : Regaining #1

shap_half
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:25 AM
Will any of women who have reached #1 and are still playing have a realistic chance of reaching that spot again before they retire. Amelie, Justine, Kim, Serena, Venus, and Jennifer have all been number 1 but have yet to get it back since they lost it. Will any get it back?

azmad_88
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:28 AM
its tough nowadays because the field is much stronger

Marcus1979
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Serena has a chance to get it back if she would play more.

Mauresmo is a bit premure as she only lost it last week. its not like she has lost #1 long term yet.

Diesel
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
Serena and Justine

franny
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
Justine. She's gonna come back with a vengeance next year.

Bitter Blue Bong
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:29 AM
I'd say Serena and Justine.

Stamp Paid
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Serena, most definitely. Justine - I'm 90% sure that she can as well. I can see Serena and Justine being the #1 and #2 players in the world, or Maybe Justibe - 1 , Myskina - 2, and Serena 3.

jonny84
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Realistically Kim or Justine - if they played like they were playing in 2003 - and with hardly any points to defend they could be sitting on top by end of 2005/early 2006.

Marcus1979
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Justin henin Hardenne has nothing to defend from Clay season onwards basically.

Kim Clijsters has nothing to defend from Indian Wells onwards.

Venus Williams has not a great deal to defend with QuarterFinal (Roland Garros, US Open) best results in a slam

Serena Williams has not much to defend.

all 4 of these with a good 2005 could realistically be #1 by end of 2005.

After all its easier to reach #1 than to stay #1.

Lady
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Justine actually reached #1 2 times already!! ;)

Greenout
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:30 AM
I'd say...the obvious ones who became number 1 in the past 2 years.
It's more difficult to forecast new number 1's for 2005 than selecting
the comeback queens.

fleemkeģ
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Justine and Kim

Williams Rulez
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:13 PM
Serena and Justine...

Junex
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Justine actually reached #1 2 times already!! ;)

yes!

she held it for one week at Zurich. lost at by not playing at Linz where she is the defending champion, and then regained it after the YEC!

so that means, Justine already achieved this feat, regaining the #1 ranking.
and she can regain it again the second time around too!

OTOH, Serena & Venus could regain it with a couple of GS titles each, I dnt know with Kim since she can't be able to win any GS. I see in 2005 that to be able to be #1, with the resurgence of the big four, one must be able to really dominate the GSs.

TonyP
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
I think this is an interesting topic. Six women, four of them slam winners, who held the number one slot, but SO FAR have never gotten it back once they lost the top spot.

Martina Hingis is often criticized on these boards for not being a fighter. But look at her record at the top.

She first reached number one in March of '97 and she held that spot for 80 weeks.

She lost it in October of '98 to Davenport, but got it back 17 weeks later and held it for another 21 weeks. She lost it again to Lindsay for five weeks, then got it back and held it for 34 weeks. She and Lindsay then swapped it back and forth, sometimes holding it for no longer than a week, until May of 2000 when Martina took back the crown and hung on to it for another 73 weeks.

Martina held the number slot until October of 2001 when she tore up her ankle at Filderstadt, the beginning of the serious injuries that sidelined her for the rest of the year and eventually forced her retirement.

So, who is the real fighter?

Gogo123
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
yes!

she held it for one week at Zurich. lost at by not playing at Linz where she is the defending champion, and then regained it after the YEC!

so that means, Justine already achieved this feat, regaining the #1 ranking.
and she can regain it again the second time around too!

OTOH, Serena & Venus could regain it with a couple of GS titles each, I dnt know with Kim since she can't be able to win any GS. I see in 2005 that to be able to be #1, with the resurgence of the big four, one must be able to really dominate the GSs.
Kim already did that by losing it to Justine and then regaining it but itwas for only a week or two

CooCooCachoo
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Justine, if she is fit...

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I Think regaining achievement is something like you lost it for 5 months or so and been outside top 5 or so and then regaining it. If you became number 2 because of not playing, I think technically your still in top of your game and a co number one.

Lindsay has number one stints in 98,99,2000,2001,2002 and 2004.

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
I think this is an interesting topic. Six women, four of them slam winners, who held the number one slot, but SO FAR have never gotten it back once they lost the top spot.

Martina Hingis is often criticized on these boards for not being a fighter. But look at her record at the top.

She first reached number one in March of '97 and she held that spot for 80 weeks.

She lost it in October of '98 to Davenport, but got it back 17 weeks later and held it for another 21 weeks. She lost it again to Lindsay for five weeks, then got it back and held it for 34 weeks. She and Lindsay then swapped it back and forth, sometimes holding it for no longer than a week, until May of 2000 when Martina took back the crown and hung on to it for another 73 weeks.

Martina held the number slot until October of 2001 when she tore up her ankle at Filderstadt, the beginning of the serious injuries that sidelined her for the rest of the year and eventually forced her retirement.

So, who is the real fighter?
It is interesting. #1 ranking is different from a slam. A slam, you want it all the time, but a #1 ranking, yes, it is wanted is, but there is also an element of who you dont want it to be, unlike the slam winner, #1 ranking is "personal".
Martina was not nice when she talked about Lindsay taking over #1 ranking.
But Venus didnt mind much, she was just content to get there, like Amelie.

I thought it was interesting as well. Other than Amelie, Serena is my pick to become #1 again.
But in 2002, the Belgians werent as hard to beat as the Russian slam winners in 2004. In 2002, Jennifer and Venus are two largest obstacles she had to cross for the #1 ranking, but they didnt care for that #1, but now, Lindsay and Amelie care a lot more. It's just so much harder for former #1 to come back again.
But Amelie will probably get it back soon.

faste5683
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM
If Barbara Schwartz had ever reached # 1, I'd say she would be the one to watch.

<sigh.>

:wavey: