PDA

View Full Version : Where is Justine as a seed in Australian Open 2005?

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM
The seeding will be according to the year end ranking 2004. She is the defending champion, if she skips it, she is out of top 10. But since she pulled out of YEC, she is likely to finish lower than top 8. We could have Jennifer, Justine, Venus, or even Serena at 9-12 range. It'll be quite an interesting slam next year.

Mercredi
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:07 PM
The seeding will be according to the year end ranking 2004. She is the defending champion, if she skips it, she is out of top 10. But since she pulled out of YEC, she is likely to finish lower than top 8. We could have Jennifer, Justine, Venus, or even Serena at 9-12 range. It'll be quite an interesting slam next year.
And Kim Clijsters not even top 20!! :eek: (get well soon kim :))

jonny84
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:14 PM
Well Grand Slams can seed players as they like. Maybe they will seed Justine #2 as she is the defending champion with Lindsay at #1. Kim could be seeded #3-#4 or #5-#8 for being the defending runner up

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think you will have to skip up to 6 months to apply for a SR which can be used for seeding.
So if Justine skips Australian Open, she'll still remain #1. Unfortunately, Kim probably will not be back in a short atime.

Marcus1979
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:43 PM
its a pity she played the US Open.

if she had of skipped it she would of had a injury protected ranking for Australian Open.

Junex
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:26 AM
I think on the part of Justine, special seeding isn't really that important.
I know her camp would agree with me in saying that she needs as much as many matches she could get and some tougher opponents early in the rounds for conditioning.

Of course in GS they dnt give "byes" nonetheless it applies to other tournaments where she is the defending champion like Sidney & Dubai.

Special seedings only benifits the organizers and the tournament itself.
I dnt think it directly affects the players performance as a whole.
If Justine is healthy and fit she doesn;t fear anyone to face even if she is gonna play Lindsay in the first round of the OZ Open ;)

We Justine fans couldn't care less how or where she is seeded, all we wanted is to see her play, be healthy and rule the tennis courts again!

Allez Justine!!!!!!!
Good Luck in 05

fammmmedspin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Kim is going to be around number 21 by the end of the year so you could see her playing a top player in the third round - she is the one who get really hit by coming back and then getting injured again.

tennnisfannn
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:04 AM
Justine will be in the 5-8 range and she will love it. Tradtitonally the players she has struggled with i.e venus and serena will be in hte same range and wouldn't play them till the semis. So far she has proven even with abscence she can keep up with amelie and myskina, kuzy always bothered her but i think lindsay is yet to prove she can handle justine, plus i believe she will be strong enough come january.

Greenout
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:29 AM
She knows that not playing events led to the lower ranking #.
I think she prefers not having people or the media bug her like
in Athens.

The way the standard of play is at tournaments nowadays, seeding
doesn't really matter. You'll end up playing someone very tough
everywhere in the draw.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:20 AM
Serena should be seeded in the top 4 if she wins the YEC or makes the finals considering she won in 2003, completing the Serena Slam, and defaulted because of injury in 2004. If she perfoms poorly @ YEC, she'll be 5-8...FOR SURE

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:31 AM
That being said...Justine should be top 3. Grand Slams usually respect injury rankings.

moby
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:37 AM
the thing is, i don't think justine has an injury ranking
she came back after about 4 months played 2 tournaments, and hasn't played since
so i'm not sure where they will seed her
most likely it will be in the 5-8 range, in the best case scenario i think she'll be the 4th seed