PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows what happened to Ai?

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:12 PM
How come she is having such a bad run now? I thought she did great last year, especially around this time.

pcrtennis
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:21 PM
She did for a while, but she has had two very solid performances over two tough opponents. She is due for a big win again. Every player goes through slumps. NICE TO SEE ANOTHER AI FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She'll rebound and start having stellar results again!

Veritas
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM
How come she is having such a bad run now? I thought she did great last year, especially around this time.

It happens sometimes. Players usually have one very good run for a particular year, then they would find it hard to defend all those points they earned in the year after. I guess Ai happens to be one of those players right now.

But I reckon she'd have a great chance to earn more points next year. She doesn't have to defend as much - especially since she had more earlier losses this year. Even though she'll reach that retirement age (30), Ai's a great athlete and I reckon a lengthy training season plus finding the right doubles partner for next year would do a lot to help her game.

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys, especially pctennis, it's great to see an Ai fan like me here:).
Hopefully she'll do well next year. It's never too late to have a career best year at 30.

jonny84
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM
I think that Ai was doing so well all last year because she was doubling with Kim Clijsters - which really helped her singles. Now the partnership is defunct and Ai has irregular partners she can't get into a regular pattern.

Celeste
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:37 PM
I kind of think her good runs had a lot to do with playing doubles with Kim and that's almost a year ago and her results haven't been great over the last year, I expect she's out of the Top 20 at the end of the year. I think playing doubles with such a great player like Kim helps for a long time, but then it wears off and it's worn off for her. I always root for Ai, but I think no Kim with her has taken its toll. Maybe she'll have a good run soon, but I'm not expecting much between now and the end of the year.

Celeste
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:40 PM
I have to say, I was never a big Kim fan, more of a Justine person, but I really miss Kim, a lot. I kind of feel like Justine has achieved a lot so no big deal she's on and off right now, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss Kim. I sort of wish I'd rooted for Kim more before. Come back Kim!!!

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:44 PM
Yes, you guys might be right, but Ai did take down Paola and Virginia with Kim's help,
which Lisa has failed to do so with Martina's help. She should have a regular partner next year.

Celeste
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM
I totally agree, Ai is far more talented than Lisa. Ai actually has decent singles titles, unlike Lisa. Ai kicks Lisa's ass!!!

Mr_Molik
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:03 AM
its not really all that surprising, she has been very up and down all yr unfortunately :sad:

Celeste
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:07 AM
What I mean to say is, when Kuznetsova played with Martina, her singles improved. When Ai played with Kim, Ai's singles improved. When Lisa played with Martina, Lisa's singles didn't improve. Lisa is the weak link here, you watch her Tennis Channels interview, she thinks she's on par with Martina. That's so wrong. Martina was like one of the best ever, she needs to totally use Martina as a sponge, and I think Martina is into that. She doesn't. Dope!

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:13 AM
That's correct, Lisa won all her singles titles when she was partnering with Ranee.
But Lisa decided to partner with someone else for Olympics, she suffered in singles as well.
I do think it's a bad move for Lisa not to go back to Ranee, she'll once again fail to make YEC cut this year.
Last year Lindsay was busy, but this year after the full-time partnership with Martina, she still failed.
I say go back to Ranee, otherwise, it's only going downhill from here. Ranee qualified with Cara.

Mr_Molik
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:17 AM
That's correct, Lisa won all her singles titles when she was partnering with Ranee.
But Lisa decided to partner with someone else for Olympics, she suffered in singles as well.
I do think it's a bad move for Lisa not to go back to Ranee, she'll once again fail to make YEC cut this year.
Last year Lindsay was busy, but this year after the full-time partnership with Martina, she still failed.
I say go back to Ranee, otherwise, it's only going downhill from here. Ranee qualified with Cara.
its rennae ;)

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
its rennae ;)
Oops:). I'll remember it next time.

ex hopman
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:38 AM
Ai has mentioned that sometimes.
Ai needs some good doubles games to keep up her singles rhythm.
This season, unfortunately, Ai has some bad luck to keep her doubles partners... some good results, but not as consistant as the last season...

Also, she mentioned that this summer schedule (europe to america and back to europe (greece), and the us open... was very tough...

She changed her residence to Japan now... maybe that affects too? flight hours?? :p

Anyhow, her good form will come back soon! good luck against Elena-D!! :)

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:52 AM
Then choose a good partner and stick with it. It's just not right for Paola/Virginia to be on the top for this long when Ai can easily take them down. She is the best doubles player in the world by far if she can partner with the right person. If Lisa goes back to Rennae, then Black will be a good partner.

AnDyDog621
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM
I thought Elena and Ai is actually a good partnership. At the US Open, they played reallie well together and looked so happy playing with each other.

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Hope Ai takes down Elena ;)

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
I thought Elena and Ai is actually a good partnership. At the US Open, they played reallie well together and looked so happy playing with each other.
But Ai and Elena just lost to Paola/Virginia pair in Moscow 1 and 2.
Ai has lost to the top pair 4 times already, with 3 different partners.
They may look good together, but like Davenport/Morariu which look great, they still wont take down Paola/Virginia. Hopefully next year she'll find someone she can do well with.

CooCooCachoo
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
But Ai and Elena just lost to Paola/Virginia pair in Moscow 1 and 2.
Ai has lost to the top pair 4 times already, with 3 different partners.
They may look good together, but like Davenport/Morariu which look great, they still wont take down Paola/Virginia. Hopefully next year she'll find someone she can do well with.

That's the strength of Paola and Vivi :hearts: But Ai is great in doubles too :yeah:

Elldee
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
I think her great performance in sets 2 and 3 today should get her out of her slump; she played some awesome tennis.