PDA

View Full Version : Zurich Quarter Final Predictions

jonny84
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:09 PM
Friday is Quarter Final day in Zurich where eight players are fighting it out to take the last Tier I title of 2004.

The first match on court is the match between this years Gold Coast winner and the runner up of the 2004 French and US Opens. Ai Sugiyama takes on Elena Dementieva. Elena Dementieva is on wonderful form at the moment having won the Hasslet title and came runner-up last week in Moscow, whereas Ai is rediscovering her form after a mild slump where she lost in the first round three times in a row. Head to heads are 2-2 with Elena winning the last match all the way back in Shanghai last year. I predict that Elena will be the one that comes off the court the winner.

Elena Dementieva beats Ai Sugiyama 6/3 6/3

Next on should be the match of the day when Venus Williams takes on Wimbledon 2004 Champion Maria Sharapova. Maria's is on fire at the moment winning two straight titles, Seoul and Tokyo Outdoors, albeit not having to face any Top30 player. Venus is struggling a bit with her form and is not playing like she used to and hasn't reached a semi-final since July (San Diego where she retired against Lindsay Davenport). Venus was pushed and was near defeat in Round 2 with new WTA star Ana Ivanovic so this does not bode well for this match. I would say that the Russian starlet would win this one in two straight sets as Venus will not cope with the form Maria is showing.

Maria Sharapova beats Venus Williams 6-4 6-4

Next, if Amelie Mauresmo hadn't withdrawn we would probably have seen her in this match but no Paola Suarez takes her part in the draw against home star Patty Schnyder. Head to heads favour Paola who has beaten Patty 5-2, however Patty can take comfort from the fact that she beat her on their last matchup in Melbourne this year. I think that with home support Patty will win through this match.

Patty Schnyder beats Paola Suarez 6-2 7-5

Finally its the match of Alicia Molik versus Nadia Petrova. Alicia has already beaten Vera Zvonareva to win through while Nadia has beaten Raymond and Dechy. Nadia thrashed Alicia last time they played in Miami [2 and 1] so this certainly favours her, but on this occasion I think that Alicia is on the right form to pull of a minor upset in three sets.

Alicia Molik beats Nadia Petrova 6-4 2-6 6-4

Pengwin
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Friday is Quarter Final day in Zurich where eight players are fighting it out to take the last Tier I title of 2004.

The first match on court is the match between this years Gold Coast winner and the runner up of the 2004 French and US Opens. Ai Sugiyama takes on Elena Dementieva. Elena Dementieva is on wonderful form at the moment having won the Hasslet title and came runner-up last week in Moscow, whereas Ai is rediscovering her form after a mild slump where she lost in the first round three times in a row. Head to heads are 2-2 with Elena winning the last match all the way back in Shanghai last year. I predict that Elena will be the one that comes off the court the winner.

Next on should be the match of the day when Venus Williams takes on Wimbledon 2004 Champion Maria Sharapova. Maria's is on fire at the moment winning two straight titles, Seoul and Tokyo Outdoors, albeit not having to face any Top30 player. Venus is struggling a bit with her form and is not playing like she used to and hasn't reached a semi-final since July (San Diego where she retired against Lindsay Davenport). Venus was pushed and was near defeat in Round 2 with new WTA star Ana Ivanovic so this does not bode well for this match. I would say that the Russian starlet would win this one in two straight sets as Venus will not cope with the form Maria is showing.

Next, if Amelie Mauresmo hadn't withdrawn we would probably have seen her in this match but no Paola Suarez takes her part in the draw against home star Patty Schnyder. Head to heads favour Paola who has beaten Patty 5-2, however Patty can take comfort from the fact that she beat her on their last matchup in Melbourne this year. I think that with home support Patty will win through this match.

Finally its the match of Alicia Molik versus Nadia Petrova. Alicia has already beaten Vera Zvonareva to win through while Nadia has beaten Raymond and Dechy. Nadia thrashed Alicia last time they played in Miami [2 and 1] so this certainly favours her, but on this occasion I think that Alicia is on the right form to pull of a minor upset in three sets.

To be honest I think these are very good predictions and I agree with everything you said. Shows how brainy us British people are. :worship:

Lemonskin.
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Dementieva def Sugiyama 6-0 7-5
Sharapova def V Williams 6-4 7-5 6-2
Suarez def Schnyder 7-5 7-5
Molik def Petrova 6-4 7-6

:hearts: 3 of my faves in the QF's!!!

GO MASHA, LENA D AND ALICIA!!!

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:18 PM
jonny84 never picks Venus to win anything, he is full of shit.

pcrtennis
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
If you look at Sugiyama-Dementieva's Head-to-Head you might change you mind about how close it may be..... GO AI!!

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:22 PM

does she win anything?:p

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:23 PM

Venus was NOT pused to near defeat, as she won the first set of her match. Since Wimbledon, Maria has yet to beat a Top 30 player, something Venus can at least say she did. This match is a toss-up, wchich means the winner will be the one who makes fewer errors and can hold serve more. Having said that, I see Venus winning this match. I think the semifinalists will be Elena vs. Venus and Patty vs. Nadia.

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
does she win anything?:p
Seh won two titles this year, including a Tier I, something Dementieva hasn't done.

exoneuk
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM
*sighs*
Elena, Maria, Patty and Alicia to make the semis.
Personal opinion.
It doesn't rhyme, so what, big whoop, ya wanna fight about it? Tee hee!

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:28 PM

A very sound prediction!!!!!:worship:

exoneuk
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Venus was NOT pused to near defeat, as she won the first set of her match.
Beg to differ. 5 setpoints to save in the first set and 3 in the second set so despite having only gone to 2 sets, it could have gone either way...

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Venus was NOT pused to near defeat, as she won the first set of her match. Since Wimbledon, Maria has yet to beat a Top 30 player, something Venus can at least say she did. This match is a toss-up, wchich means the winner will be the one who makes fewer errors and can hold serve more. Having said that, I see Venus winning this match. I think the semifinalists will be Elena vs. Venus and Patty vs. Nadia.Since Wimby??? Well the highest rank player Venus defeated is Sprem and Masha beated Daniela who is more accomplished player. Get your facts straight!!!!

Lemonskin.
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Venus was NOT pused to near defeat, as she won the first set of her match. Since Wimbledon, Maria has yet to beat a Top 30 player, something Venus can at least say she did. This match is a toss-up, wchich means the winner will be the one who makes fewer errors and can hold serve more. Having said that, I see Venus winning this match. I think the semifinalists will be Elena vs. Venus and Patty vs. Nadia.
Venus WAS close to defeat, as Ivanovic held set points in both sets. Had she won those points, she would have won the match. I think it was more the experience that Venus had that got her over the line. But make no mistake, she nearly lost the match. It teetered over a few points.

Doraemon
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM
Ai def. Dementieva 6-4, 7-6
Sharapova def. Williams 6-0,6-0
Schnyder def. Suarez 7-5, 6-1
Molik def. Petrova 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:32 PM
Seh won two titles this year, including a Tier I, something Dementieva hasn't done.
just wait 3 more days...

and btw, if you ask any player, they'd rather be in 2 GS finals this year than to win a Tier I. something V.Williams hasn't done.:wavey:

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:33 PM
Venus WAS close to defeat, as Ivanovic held set points in both sets. Had she won those points, she would have won the match. I think it was more the experience that Venus had that got her over the line. But make no mistake, she nearly lost the match. It teetered over a few points.
It was a close match, but unless your opponent is close to a match point, you are not close to defeat.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:34 PM
just wait 3 more days...

and btw, if you ask any player, they'd rather be in 2 GS finals this year than to win a Tier I. something V.Williams hasn't done.:wavey:
Oooooh, 2 GS finals, shame on Venus!!!

What a joke!!!

:haha: :haha:

Liz, just laugh at this fool. :lol:

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:36 PM

What a joke!!!

it takes one to know one

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
it takes one to know one
Niiiiiiiice comeback!!!

Paldias
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM
Molik in 2.
Patty in 2.
Venus in 2, maybe 3.
Sugiyama in 3, maybe 2.

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
as long as you enjoy it...

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:44 PM
Dementieva def Sugiyama 7-6 6-3
Sharapova def V Williams 6-1 6-2
Schnyder def. Suarez 7-5 6-4
Petrova def. Molik 2-6 7-6 7-5

*hingis_forever*
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:45 PM
He's full of shit because he doesn't agree with you? Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Paldias
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Dementieva def Sugiyama 7-6 6-3
Sharapova def V Williams 6-1 6-2
Schnyder def. Suarez 7-5 6-4
Petrova def. Molik 2-6 7-6 7-5

I think 6-1 6-2 is a little far-fetched...this is Maria Sharapova after all...:o :devil:

fammmmedspin
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=ti-online]To be honest I think these are very good predictions and I agree with everything you said. Shows how brainy us British people are. :worship:[/QUOTE

i am slightly less brainy - Petrova in the 4 th match.

Maria v Venus is a very close call depending on how they play on the day.

Patty is due a winning run.

Elena is very near to passing Sveta in the rankings - thats even more incentive.

switz
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
dementieva def sugiyama 6-4, 7-5
venus def sharapova 6-3, 6-3
schnyder def suarez 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
molik def petrova 6-4, 2-6, 6-4

VW#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM
just wait 3 more days...

If you ask any player they would say they'd rather have an off year where they only won two titles and still have their 4 grandslams then to have a great year and still be grandslam less. :wavey:

fammmmedspin
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:06 PM
Arguably Venus was saved by Ana's inexperience. Ana hit the wrong shots on several set points including the very optimistic drop shot she tried on one. If she had known better and hadn't had one of several other misses she would have taken enough of those to win. It wasn't as if Venus had much say - on enough of those points to matter the court was open for one winning shot but it didn't come.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:11 PM
He's full of shit because he doesn't agree with you? Give me a break! :rolleyes:
No, not cause he doesn't agree, but because he consistently picks Venus to lose no matter what, EVERY SINGLE TIME he makes one of these sets of predictions. At some time someone who is CREDIBLE will vary in their thought on who wins a match especially when you are speaking about the top players.

Caz
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:12 PM
I don't normally do this, but, here goes (no predicted scores, sorry ;) ):

Ai def. Elena.

Maria def. Venus.

Paola def. Patty.

Alicia def. Nadia.

timray
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:17 PM
Elena Dementieva beats Ai Sugiyama 7/5 6/3 :smoke:

Maria Sharapova beats Venus Williams 6-2 6-0 :eek:

Paola Suarez beat Patty Schnyder 6-4 3-6 6/4 :zzz:

Nadia Petrova beats Alicia Molik 7-6 6-4 :yeah:

Venus_Serena
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:25 PM
V Williams def Sharapova 7-5 6-4 or 4-6 6-3 6-4 :bounce:

GO VENUS!!!!!
:kiss: :hearts: :D :worship: :)

hablo
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:52 PM
Ai def. Dementieva 6-4, 7-6
Sharapova def. Williams 6-0,6-0
Schnyder def. Suarez 7-5, 6-1
Molik def. Petrova 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

Sharapova is going to bagel Venus?? :lol: :lol: :haha: :haha: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, this is who I hope to see move on :
Dementieva, Schnyder, Petrova, and . . .Venus (even though I don't usually cheer for her!) ;) :p

MAURO
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:56 PM
this it the time of Paola over Patty again

Mr_Molik
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:02 PM
Dementieva def Ai- one easy set, one tough set.
Schnyder def Suarez- same as above.
Sharapova def Venus- very tough to call, I'll say Sharapova will come through.
Now for the important match!
Alicia def Petrova- two tough sets.

pav
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:05 PM
Venus at ten percent could beat all those others at the same time as well as plucking a freshly killed goose and wheeling a barrow full of demolition bricks, and look extremely regal throughout the whole procedure!

sarcasm is the lowest form of ...

faboozadoo15
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:09 PM
some people pick venus to win everything... who's more full of shit? :tape:

faboozadoo15
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:15 PM
Venus at ten percent could beat all those others at the same time as well as plucking a freshly killed goose and wheeling a barrow full of demolition bricks, and look extremely regal throughout the whole procedure!

sarcasm is the lowest form of ...
k, then hopefully venus will be smart enough to stop playing her 5% game and upgrade herself to 10%. afterall, it shouldn't be that hard...

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:19 PM
Maybe only her fans, but that's not really a surprise.

Chunchun
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:23 AM

:lol:

Mr_Molik
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
good point

Chunchun
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Demenva def. Miss Jap 6-2 6-3 :cool: :yeah:

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
But many times they are wrong though, we cant blame Venus for that of course.
Maria this time around is the favourite with 10 matches winning streak on her.

Chunchun
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
Maria this time around is the favourite with 10 matches winning streak on her.

Hey nine of them are Tier III/IV !!

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:40 AM
just wait 3 more days...

Ask any player if they would rather have four GS champion trophies or two runner-up trophies?

Next!

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Beg to differ. 5 setpoints to save in the first set and 3 in the second set so despite having only gone to 2 sets, it could have gone either way...
True, but I went Venus' way and she will be playing tomorrow and not Ana.

~Sherry~
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Prediction: Ladies will take off skirt for contribution of charitable nature.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
angry people

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
Since Wimby??? Well the highest rank player Venus defeated is Sprem and Masha beated Daniela who is more accomplished player. Get your facts straight!!!!

Check the rankings? Who is currently ranked highe, Karolina or Daniela?

I rest my case.:rolleyes:

Mr_Molik
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
just wait 3 more days...

actually i would rather a tier 1 title
i just find losing finals so heartbreaking, especially at GS level

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:48 AM

What a joke!!!

I would if he/she/it were not so pathetic.

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Close to defeat = she won:rolleyes:

hotandspicey
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
just wait 3 more days...

and btw, if you ask any player, they'd rather be in 2 GS finals this year than to win a Tier I. something V.Williams hasn't done.:wavey:Garbage. Being in grand slam finals don't mean shit.... winning them is what counts. 4 slams and 31 titles....something Dementieva will never get!!! :rolleyes:

switz
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:19 AM
snap.

random.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:47 AM
This whole anti-Venus sentiment is full of crap!

She has NEVER lost a set 6-0 in recent remeberance, and Sharapova....puhlease! She couldn't bagel Serena during arguably her WORST grand slam match EVER!

That being said:

Match-up #1: (9) Ai Sugiyama vs. (3) Elena Dementieva
-This match seems open and shut, but Dementieva's serve troubles have earned her tight matches with players with decent groud games and serious trouble against players with solid ground games. Fortunately for Dementieva, Sugiyama is the former and not the latter. Elena's groud game is definately in the top tier of the WTA, but her serve is like a shot in the foot everytime. Ai has problems winning lots of matches in a row, especially against players better than her. She had the chance to change Wimbledon history, but couldn't close Sharapova out. Elena should advance, but not without missing a set on the way. This will be close, but Elena in three (5-7 6-2 6-3)

Match-up #2: (7) Venus Williams vs. (4) Maria Sharapova
-Many people have written off Venus Williams due to her sub par season (which has included a tier I victory, in her tournament debut, and a tier II victory, along with the longest clay streak of the year. Although her other results, including a tier II final 3-set loss to Davenport and a tier II semi-final loss to Davenport a week later, have caused many to think she is washed up, Venus has proved that she is the most dangerous when she is underestimated. Her grand slam results have been bad to say the least, but her regular tournament schedule has been befitting of a player of her calibur....which is more than I can say about her opponent. Who despite her Grand Slam triumph, has choked against top players that she is VERY capapble of beating, and playing lower end tier events to inflate her W-L record for the year. Sharapova is good, great even, but if she can't consitently play players on her level and higher, she'll never get any better. Venus has been going through quite a slump, but this match should be a great litmus test of whether or not she's ready for the YEC. I pick Venus to win in two tough sets (7-6 7-5)

Match-up #3: Paola Suarez vs. (10) Patty Schnyder
-Thank heavens Serena and Lindsay withdrew or else this draw could have turned out terribly for Patty. She's good, great indoors and the home court advantage should suit her well. She handled Zuluaga, who made the semis of the Oz...so did Patty. Suarez could have won this match on clay....well mabye not. It seems like Patty has this one wrapped up. Patty in two (6-3 6-2)

Match-up #4: Alicia Molik vs. (8) Nadia Petrova
-If anyone has done thier best this year to squealch the Russian Rebellion, it's been Alicia Molik. She beat Myskina in Athens when many (including myself) thought she was outmatched. This tournament, she has proceeded to take advantage of the mental weakness of Vera Zvonareva. Nadia Petrova will be her next victim. The tour's best player without a title (the REAL next Anna) has had problem's in the past winning matches she should win. Alicia will have a tough time, but she should get through. Alicia in three sets (3-6 7-6 6-2)

My Predicted Sem-Final Match-ups:

(10) Patty Schnyder vs. Alicia Molik

(7) Venus Williams vs. (3) Elena Dementieva

...these'll be goood!

Good Luck Ladies!

bmxbandit
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:51 AM
Dementieva def Sugiyama 6-0 7-5
Sharapova def V Williams 6-4 7-5 6-2
Suarez def Schnyder 7-5 7-5
Molik def Petrova 6-4 7-6

:hearts: 3 of my faves in the QF's!!!

GO MASHA, LENA D AND ALICIA!!!
Why are Venus and Maria playing best of 5?

ex hopman
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Ai def. Elena-D 7-5, 7-5
Sharapova def. Venus 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
Patty def. Paola 6-3, 6-1
Petrova def. Molik 6-1, 6-4

Veritas
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
Elena will beat Ai. She's had a much better indoor season this year so far, plus Ai's a very streaky player: one day she'll amaze people with great results and the next, she'll play way below her usual standards. It's unfortunate they'll have to play against each other at this stage.

But I reckon the real 'toss-up' will be the Maria/Venus match. Venus has beaten Maria before, so she might have some confidence going into this match. Plus Maria hasn't beaten a top-30 player for a while. But Maria might also have a lot of confidence with her two recent titles behind her and she has improved a lot since she last met Venus, so she won't have much to lose here. This will most likely be a 3-set match either way.

Being in grand slam finals don't mean shit.... winning them is what counts.....something Dementieva will never get!!! :rolleyes:

You seem quite certain about this. I mean, I highly doubt you can tell the future...

tenn_ace
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
well I hope now it's clear why Venus is not picked to win anything :haha:

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Check the rankings? Who is currently ranked highe, Karolina or Daniela?

I rest my case.:rolleyes:
yeah, rest your case coz Venus is the loser!!!!!!!

lizchris
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:07 PM
yeah, rest your case coz Venus is the loser!!!!!!!

A loser in life like you or just a loser in a tennis match?

*hingis_forever*
Oct 27th, 2004, 12:56 AM
A loser in life like you or just a loser in a tennis match?
And who are you to be the judge of QUEENLINDSAY's life?