PDA

View Full Version : Maria vs Venus - WWW?

Lemonskin.
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM
This will turn into "who do you want to win" I'll bet ;)

The way I see it:

If Maria wins: That's awesome. Great stuff, and she proves she CAN beat top 20 players.

If Maria loses: There's no shame losing to a Williams.

Discuss this match :angel:

Frank
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM
Not at all "who do you want to win"...

Although I want Maria to win, I voted for Venus in 3.

They're both not too impressive lately, but I'm pessimistic from nature...:)

Lemonskin.
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah I voted Maria in 3, but I fear this match :sad:

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
I think Venus in 2, one close set and one easy set.

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:37 PM
coudn't be more even that what it is right now.

Venus in 2- 4 votes
Maria in 2 -4 votes

Venus in 3- 3 votes
Maria in 3 - 3 votes

Volcana
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:37 PM
Since Wimbledon Venus has beaten better players but ....

Venus is playing MUCH further below her best than Sharapova is below hers. And Venus has BEEN off her game since getting hurt before the French. If she plays the average of how she's played since then, Sharapova will win. Venus doesn't have to play nearly her best to win, but she has to play a LOT better than she has since May.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:38 PM
Intriguing match....is this Venus the most mobile player Maria´s gonna face since China Open?! How´s she gonna react to being forced to hit more than three balls?!

Venus already got warmed up for the power-game...the question is: how are the errors?!

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:41 PM
Intriguing match....is this Venus the most mobile player Maria´s gonna face since China Open?! How´s she gonna react to being forced to hit more than three balls?!

Venus already got warmed up for the power-game...the question is: how are the errors?!
so you picked maria in 3 :rolleyes:

i think Maria is gonna be intimidated by venus' speed. b/c i think better than anyone even her lil sister one of venus' main intimidating factors is her speed. venus gets just about everything but what her sister delivers. and i think it will be the key to the match. it will knock maria off her hills, and she is gonna have re-adjust and focus to the talen taht venus displays out there.

venus in 2. sorry but she is just gonna do the "veteran" thing and run the gurl off the court with ease.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:55 PM
so you picked maria in 3 :rolleyes:

i think Maria is gonna be intimidated by venus' speed. b/c i think better than anyone even her lil sister one of venus' main intimidating factors is her speed. venus gets just about everything but what her sister delivers. and i think it will be the key to the match. it will knock maria off her hills, and she is gonna have re-adjust and focus to the talen taht venus displays out there.

venus in 2. sorry but she is just gonna do the "veteran" thing and run the gurl off the court with ease.

Me picking against a Williams?! Hellloooooo!!!!

faboozadoo15
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:03 PM
tough one to call. venus of course at her best is better than sharapova has been playing; however, i don't think either of these players are playing their best or their respective high level of play. both need to step it up from their last match if they want to win, that is unless you feel daniela and ana are as good as these 2 players we're talking about here (i haven't been able to watch :sad: ). speed gives the obvious edge to venus, but i think sharapova's serve effectiveness exceeds venus's (the second serve especially). maria wants to beat venus more than venus wants to beat sharapova. venus got the best of maria in hong kong with a good fight, and i think maria has done so much since then and venus has maybe even dropped her level.
maria in 2 close ones.

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:20 PM
Venus will win 6:4 6:3

Doraemon
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:23 PM
Maria in 12 (games)

Chunchun
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
:shrug:

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
I think Maria will win a tough 3-6 7-6(5) 6-4 3 set battle againt Venus. It should be a humdinger! :D :bounce:

darrinbaker00
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Venus :worship: in straights. I only wish that TTC would show this match instead of those underfed "ballgirls" at TMA Madrid. :fiery:

pcrtennis
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:57 AM
Venus is starting to show those nerves of steal that we're used to seeing from her during matches and that last one against Ivanovic was a good warm up for this one. Venus will beat Sharapova in straights!

Gowza
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:03 AM
it will be the first time in awhile that maria has played anyone as good as venus and that hits as hard as venus, if it takes her a few games to get into it then venus will take the match, i think venus has the edge but she did just have a tough match which has adavantages but also disadvantages, she may be a little tired mentally from the ana match and if thats the case then maria might take the match. but if venus serves well then maria will have a tough time winning.

beauty_is_pink
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:03 AM
i thought the "WWW" was gonna stand for "World War something" :retard:

:haha:

SelesFan70
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:16 AM
This is the battle of shakey forehands and weak 2nd serves. I picked Maria in 3 based on current form, but her lack of playing "power players" lately should help Venus take a set. I wouldn't be stunned if Venus wins, though.

Sharapova: 6-3, 5-7, 6-3

darrinbaker00
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Venus is starting to show those nerves of steal that we're used to seeing from her during matches and that last one against Ivanovic was a good warm up for this one. Venus will beat Sharapova in straights!
That's Capriati, not Venus. ;)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:39 AM
Good luck to both Masha & Venus!!

It should be a very interesting match!

At the Hong Kong exhibition in January Masha was leading 5-1 in the 1st set but couldn't close it and lost to Venus 5-7 1-6.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:09 AM
An interesting statistic is that while Venus had more errors in her match aginst Ivanovic than Sharapova had against Hantuchova, Venus had 6 more forehand winners. Also, Masha had NO net winners and NO passing shot winners while Venus put away 10 winners from the net and had 1 passing shot winner. Venus is showing better net play and MUCH more EFFICIENT defense. I picked Venus in 3.

Junex
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:17 AM
Just a question of notice:

maria played her 2nd round last Wednesday, Venus thursday.
and now they will play the QF friday, Maria obviously had a much more time recuperating amd to note an easier game played than Venus. Is this a factor?

I always though that schedule of play is based on the draw, like the players in the
same half should play at the same day to have them a fair recuperating time.

anyway...
not gonna vote, just jinx a player (zuluaga) again yesterday.
good luck to both!!!

selking
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Venus in two

VW#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:20 AM
I picked Venus in straights, though I think it will be tough. But I think (and hope) it will come down to this. Since Wimbledon Venus has only lost to power players. (Davenport, Pierce, and Bovina) Sharapova has only beaten non elite players. I think that helps Venus a lot more than it does Sharapova, because certainly even Venus in her current form is a couple of steps up from anyone Sharapova has faced recently. I am positive that venus knows exactly what has to happen in order to win this match. The questions are will she be able to do it and what kind of fight will Sharapova put up

Mattographer
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:32 AM

Me too! :lol:

Vut
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:57 AM
Venus in 2!

jacs
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
I can't pick from the two of them but I think this will be a three-setter nonetheless.

LucasArg
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
I am positive about Venus, she will be mentally prepared for this match!

Venus in 2 sets. :bounce:

Daniel
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Maria in 2 :bounce:

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
:D Dan the good luck man proclaims it!!!

Everything he says comes true :worship: :p :D

Doraemon
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Again me thinks Maria in 12. You heard it here first.

Marcus1979
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Sharapova in 2

or

Venus in 3

depends how she plays.

she needs to play better than Yesterday however

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Again me thinks Maria in 12. You heard it here first.
:eek: How does THAT work?!?!?!?!?!

Marcus1979
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:15 AM
12 sets of tennis.

Someone will be tired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
OK then, I pick It to be Masha in 12.

7-6 5-7 6-2 3-6 7-6 6-1 6-3 3-6 6-7 7-6 21-19 :p

Frank
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
She said 12 games!

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
She said 12 SETS :eek:

So I predicted :p

Ahoy, Frank! :wavey:

Frank
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
She said 12 SETS

So I predicted

Ahoy, Frank!

Maria in 12 (games)
Am I just very intelligent or are you just very stupid? :p

Lemonskin.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
12 sets of tennis.

Someone will be tired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was working off this :p

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM

I thought it was Women's World Wrestling or something. I was expecting a very interesting thread. ;)

the cat
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Lemon only posted 11 sets not 12. ;)

Maria is in a no win siutation in her match against Venus. If Masha wins people will say this isn't the same Venus Williams as before. And if Masha loses she will be criticised for losing to a slumping Venus.

*kaz*
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Maria won first set 6-3. She is way the better player at the mo.