PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Rocker

DUNEMAN
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM
:music: :rocker: :rocker2: :music: :banana: :banana: :dance: :dance: :music: :rocker2: :rocker:
by Venus Williams

What's Happenin' in My Music Room

I always try to save some free time for the things that I love to do. This is usually difficult because I have so much to do, practicing, going to the gym, going to school, going to my office and, of course, also trying to lead a regular life.

As a true fan and a member of my fan club you know that I love music. I kind of like all the offbeat songs, I guess that I just don't follow the trends. Most people would probably think that I would be a big hip-hop, R&B and rap fan but that really is not the case. Truth be told, I am totally a rocker. I love bands like 311 (of course) Incubus, U2, Green Day, Aerosmith, The Doors . . . well you get it. So anyway lets get on with what is happening in my music room!

I usually start by practicing scales on my bass. I don't travel with my bass, so I have to practice it the most when I am at home. Then I get on with all of the boring stuff like all the note reading, not actual songs but technique and theory. I am really technical in my approach. I hate when I don't know everything! So I practice my bass, thump, thump! I always do my warm up with the baseline from Jimi Hendrix's Hey Joe, totally love that song, I totally love Jimi! So after I get on with that I move on with the guitars, I tune them all first, including the bass, and then I make sure that they are all in tune with each other. Even amateurs don't want to be off key!

With the guitar I do the scales, blah, blah, blah, all the boring stuff. I try to practice hard on learning songs but I really do get distracted. When I learn a new lick or something I am like "oh cool!" and I start making my own stuff up from it. What I end up with is a whole bunch of bits and pieces of my own songs and only half learning other peoples songs! This is why I can't play covers.

I've got this awesome keyboard too, but I am not much of a keyboard player. I am more into the programming and sounds. I love digital music too like Moby and Felix da House Cat. I know you guys are feeling me. The problem is that I still have a lot to learn on the keyboard as far as playing and programming goes but I figure I have a lot more years to live (God willing)!

Finally, there is my computer music creation and production system, my pedals and my mini recorder. My production system is real simple, just basic to get me started because I know that I don't have time to learn Pro Tools! It keeps me busy on the road and I have fun with it.

I have one pedal its real basic too, it's got everything on it including a drum machine, I just discovered this when I finally broke down and decided to read the manual! My mini recorder is awesome, just right for the recreational musician like me. It records 64 tracks, has guitar and bass effects, a drum machine, just about everything you need in a digital recorder. The best thing is that it is small enough to put in a backpack and travel with, if I am so inclined.

Don't feel left out if you don't like rock! I like hip-hop too! I loved that song "tipsy' this year, I could not get enough of it, "E'rbody in da club gettin' tipsy!" I like Dre and 50, Jay-Z, Emienem, Michael Jackson, lots of people besides rockers. The only thing is that I must have the clean versions.

So that is my musical set up! I am really not as good as I want to be, probably because I spend all my quality time and energy playing tennis!

Stay cool,

Venus