PDA

View Full Version : Venus Replaces Jennifer In The Last Spot In The YEC Race

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
With Venus' hard fought win over Ana in the 2nd round in Zurich, she temporarily holds the last remaining spot in the YEC race. I say temporarily because if Venus loses tomorrow against Maria, Vera and Jennifer can still overtake her for the last spot, but if Venus wins tomorrow and goes all the way to the final, I think Vera will be out of the running, but Jennifer may still have a chance to overtake Venus as she is playing in Philadelpha with Venus.

Venus could add more points if she plays Linz in addition to Philadelphia, which is a rumor, but I don't think she should play that tournament and just concentrate on playing in Philly, especially if she gets to the semifinal or final in Zurich.

tennnisfannn
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM
I thought the 8th spot was reserved for the wild card, although it would be tough for the org to chose jen over vee, they would need some serious reasons. If it were maria, out of it, it owuld be understandable coz she is a slam winner.
good work Vee, now make the semis pls.

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM
With Venus' hard fought win over Ana in the 2nd round in Zurich, she temporarily holds the last remaining spot in the YEC race. I say temporarily because if Venus loses tomorrow against Maria, Vera and Jennifer can still overtake her for the last spot, but if Venus wins tomorrow and goes all the way to the final, I think Vera will be out of the running, but Jennifer may still have a chance to overtake Venus as she is playing in Philadelpha with Venus.

Venus could add more points if she plays Linz in addition to Philadelphia, which is a rumor, but I don't think she should play that tournament and just concentrate on playing in Philly, especially if she gets to the semifinal or final in Zurich.
venus will be heading into Philly with the lead. so really when Philly rolls around. Even if venus looses tomorrow, when they get to Philly it will come down to Venus and Jennifer and whoever advances the furthest. Vera is out of the running. For in Philly i think both Venus and Jennifer will only have to win 1 round, and she will be out.

If venus does well in Zurich. Like win, she will most likely only have to probably get to the quarters to sercure a spot.

Take note that Jennifer hasn't played since US Open. And when Jennifer is on long breaks etc, she always always comes back rusty. So if she gets a hard first round opponent, she could go out then. Venus is the one with the match play in, and is looking good. I expect her to make it to the YEC with lil sis.

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM
I thought the 8th spot was reserved for the wild card, although it would be tough for the org to chose jen over vee, they would need some serious reasons. If it were maria, out of it, it owuld be understandable coz she is a slam winner.
good work Vee, now make the semis pls.
who was the wild card last year?

there wansn't one. :rolleyes:

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Don't think about that stuff. Just hope she does well in Zurich to get a little more confident.

xr6turbo
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM

there wansn't one. :rolleyes:

Dont need to be so harsh.. :(

tennnisfannn
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:23 PM

there wansn't one. :rolleyes:The wildcard is to be introduced this year, according the the sources on this board anyway. There was an article on the wtatour.com to that effect.

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
I personal could not care less if Venus makes the last eight or not. The most important thing to Venus Williams this year is matches. tought hard fought matches.
If she loses to Sharapova tomorrow then she should go and play linz.

Venus Williams year is over I know that sounds strange but Venus is all about Slams now. the Aussie Open is only 4 mouths away and that is where Venus Williams biggest goals are. But if she wants to do well she has to play matches.

Dawn Marie
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:44 PM
right on coolbird.

People also seem to forget all that Venus has been through this year, the women is not going away anytime soon.:)

WF4EVER
Oct 21st, 2004, 06:04 PM
Coolbird, with all due respect, if Venus can hardly win a Tier 1 or 11 how on earth is she going to get through to win a Slam? Winning tournaments is a foundation to take her through the Slam victories, IMO. You clearly stated that she has to play matches in order to prepare for the Slams, so is it too early for her to begin working on her game? Venus' game has virtually ceased up sinc eher injury; she needs to find her range and her confidence; I think these matches are helping her a lot. Even tho she's had some shitty results she justs keeps on trying. That's good, even though I think there are other things she can do as well.

Venus seems to be trying really hard to finish this year on a good note and I applaud her for her effort. She's not popular for flying over to Europe in the fall and for her to bother when her game is so handicapped suggests to me that she wants to, not only make the YEC, but to get as much matchplay as possible. I hope she's not playing LInz because I don't want her exhausted or injured.

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
WF4EVER Dont give up on Venus. I know there are more Slams in there. She is far to taltented not to be one of the favs ever time one happens.

Pureracket
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:54 PM
right on coolbird.

People also seem to forget all that Venus has been through this year, the women is not going away anytime soon.:) :mad: w-o-m-A-n

WF4EVER
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:14 PM
WF4EVER Dont give up on Venus. I know there are more Slams in there. She is far to taltented not to be one of the favs ever time one happens.
I wasn't trying to suggest that Venus couldn't win another Slam, but she needs to be consistent all around in order to achieve that, IMO. My frustration with Venus is with her unwillingness to seek outside help where her inside help has failed, not because I don't believe in her abilities. Venus thinks she's the best and I think that she is the best but currently and for this past year she has not been anywhere near her best. Whether she can ever be again is left to be seen.

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:14 PM
Wow, Venus is going to YEC? It was unfortunate for her to miss the cut last year. But I think it'll be great for her this time aroundc.

Rocketta
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:21 PM
:mad: w-o-m-A-n
Your such a grammar-ton....:p

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Wow, Venus is going to YEC? It was unfortunate for her to miss the cut last year. But I think it'll be great for her this time aroundc.
She qualified last year.

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM
She did? I just assumed, because I didnt see her name on last year's draw.
Thanks for the reminder.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM
She did? I just assumed, because I didnt see her name on last year's draw.
Thanks for the reminder.
She pulled out before the tournament started.

Volcana
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM
I thought the 8th spot was reserved for the wild cardI believe this to be the case as well. However, one has to look at financial issues. The YEC has has a lot of trouble selling tickets in L.A. No one who's sure to sell tickets is going to be removed from the #8 spot. The nightmare scenario for anyone in marketing is Williams at #8 and Sharapova at #9.

If you take Venus' spot, Serena's participation becomes ... speculative. Lose both of them and you lose a lot of your celebrity audience. Rappers, actors, Hollywood types. Fortunately, that's not going to be an issue.

What I DON'T want to see is Zvonareva at #8. (Or technically #9, given JH2 isn't playing.) With Williams AND Capriati on the outside looking in, I think she would not get to play, and that would suck. I understand the reason behind rules like this, but this year is not one to apply it, no matter who gets left out. None of the slam winners had a strong enough year. If somebody wins two slams and misses four months with an injury so they're #12 in the race, THAT'S a person to jump into the wildcard spot.

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:31 PM
:mad: w-o-m-A-n

Pure I am so sorry I will change it now :lol: :lol: Only a day after you told me before

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:37 PM
Pure I am so sorry I will change it now :lol: :lol: Only a day after you told me before
How can YOU change Dawn Marie's posts?? :confused:

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Pure it was not even mine :lol: I just forget what I post most of the time.

W4F Venus will never get out side I have final come to terms with that. It pains me to see it cus I think there is still another 30% that could be gotten out of Venus and her game. And if that happened she would be unplayble to anyone. But it never will so we just have to enjoy Venus game for what it is now and try and find relistic goals for her.

fammmmedspin
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
The wild card only made logical as opposed to financial sense if used for Kim - a defending champ returning from injury. Given that who ever gets in gets free ranking points and loads of money it would be totally unacceptable to jump someone out of 8 th ranking spot to put someone who was in ninth spot in. You might as well not have rankings.

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:47 PM
The wild card only made logical as opposed to financial sense if used for Kim - a defending champ returning from injury. Given that who ever gets in gets free ranking points and loads of money it would be totally unacceptable to jump someone out of 8 th ranking spot to put someone who was in ninth spot in. You might as well not have rankings.
Yes, I do agree with that. But Kim is injured, so it may be right to give the wildcard to someone else.

fammmmedspin
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:55 PM
Yes, I do agree with that. But Kim is injured, so it may be right to give the wildcard to someone else.
Do they have to have a wild card or did they say they gave themselves the option of having one? If its optional they just don't bother. If they have to have one they could just announce it was the eight person in the rankings. Problem only comes if they change the rankings which is massively destructive of the whole system. Imagine Jen fans if Jen went out to get Venus in or non-American players and fans reacting if the supposedly global WTA ditched a Russian to get an American in. It would make George Bush look diplomatic.

DannerCal
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:40 PM
They don't have to have a wildcard. The way things look right now, I don't believe they will use it now.

WF4EVER
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:06 AM
Ain't it something when the top 8 qualifiers for the YEC can't draw a big enough crowd to make it worth the WTA's while.

The WTA also needs to look at its scheduling. If having day matches means empty stands start the matches later or voce versa. I dunno; these people seem to be the worst marketers of women's tennis especially in this day and age.

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:59 AM
Wildcard is ridicolous! :haha:

Marcus1979
Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:01 AM
ATP has a wildcard. (a current slam winner ranked inside the top 20) if needed.

the Womens have never had wildcards.

davidmario
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Fairest thing would be: giving the WC to the 8th ranked player