PDA

View Full Version : A Must Read for those who obsess over players' weight

JennyS
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:31 PM
I found this fabulous book at the library last night and it makes so many good points about the obsession over weight and how it's destructive. Being a Jen fan, I've put up with a ton of Jen isn't fit or Jen is fat crap so I found the book a breath of fresh air.

One great point that I've been making for a long time is the author Paul Campos goes into great detail that weight and fitness are completely unrelated. He cites that many people who are supposedly overweight are very physically active and that you're not going to lose a zillion pounds by being active. It made me think of when Tracy Austin said Jen didn't look "fit" to her, when she meant "thin." Yet Jen showed great speed and endurance during her matches. She played 4 3 setters at the US Open and was still running hard for every ball in her long SF match. She can't help being big boned.

I think this book does a great deal to clear up the myths about health and weight and it's a must-read. He really shows the dangers of obssessing over weight.

Here's a link on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592400663/qid=1098368583/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-9852631-9850242

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM
I found this fabulous book at the library last night and it makes so many good points about the obsession over weight and how it's destructive. Being a Jen fan, I've put up with a ton of Jen isn't fit or Jen is fat crap so I found the book a breath of fresh air.

One great point that I've been making for a long time is the author Paul Campos goes into great detail that weight and fitness are completely unrelated. He cites that many people who are supposedly overweight are very physically active and that you're not going to lose a zillion pounds by being active. It made me think of when Tracy Austin said Jen didn't look "fit" to her, when she meant "thin." Yet Jen showed great speed and endurance during her matches. She played 4 3 setters at the US Open and was still running hard for every ball in her long SF match. She can't help being big boned.

I think this book does a great deal to clear up the myths about health and weight and it's a must-read. He really shows the dangers of obssessing over weight.

Here's a link on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592400663/qid=1098368583/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-9852631-9850242

Very good point!!! You are right you shouldn't need a book but some people on here our idiots and keep saying stupid things that are not true!!!

Dementinator
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Exactly Look at Demenieva's chassis she must be at least 160 -165lbs or so ,considered to be real heavy in womens circles but have u seen her body!! its all
muscle and looks great it does not matter what the weight is its how its made up!!
There is nothing wrong with big girls as long as they look like Lena d!!!

LostGlory
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM
I dont know about all that stuff but from a personal experience I can say this..I 've been very fit sportive and athletic most of my life....lately I put on some extra weight....After I had some serious back pains ....my doctor said you sould loose weight and that will eliminate 50% of the problem and the rest is all up to exercise....because it is difficult for your body to carry around all that weight all the time...

Pinky
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM
Exactly Look at Demenieva's chassis she must be at least 160 -165lbs or so ,considered to be real heavy in womens circles but have u seen her body!! its all
muscle and looks great it does not matter what the weight is its how its made up!!
There is nothing wrong with big girls as long as they look like Lena d!!!

Exactly. I found myself in front of her for the first time yesterday. Knowing she is also 1.80m, i was surprised and definitely found her to be even tiny!!! (I am 1.86m)

LostGlory
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM
ya i thin elena has a great body .I wish I had the same bdy

Dementinator
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:14 PM
Who said Dementieva doesn't have a great body? I don't recall anyone saying she's fat.

no no nobdy said she is fat!!! but I expect she is heavy! 1.80m and muscular means she aint gonna be 120lbs!!
Lena D show girls that you can be strong ,muscular and dammned attractive too ,for gods sake girls do not have to be tiny!! I love Lena Ds body I am a bloke and I expect she would make mincemeat out of me in a fight but thats fine by me I am happy to admit it!!

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2004, 06:38 PM
big bonededed :haha:

SelesianFan
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:30 PM
nowadays, the players are taller and more muscular and all, i don't see them with a whole lot of fat of any kind:)

TeamUSA#1
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM
8 to 16% body fat is considered elite for a MALE, for a FEMALE elite is considered 10 to 20%.......... But body fat % alone does not make up an athlete. It has more to do with strength and aerobic/an-aerobic conditioning, whcih Jen is obviously in good athletic shape. Sure, she could lose a few pounds, but she in not fat or unfit....

JennyS
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
The book is very well written. He is talking about people who are looking to lose 10-15 pounds, not 100 or more.

He makes a good point about people wanting to lose weight, not to be healthy, but to be thin. Plenty of people take pills, starve themselves, stop eating carbs, smoke, etc to be thin. He also makes a good point that a lot of people who lose weight wind up gaining a lot of it back.

Capriati's weight is not endangering her health in any way, so why does she need to lose weight? A little excess fat never killed anyone. The people who need to lose weight for health reason are those that are REALLY overweight (John Goodman for example).

The thing is, Jennifer has never been able to stay at her thinnest (early 2001) for that long. That shows that her natural weight is probably what it is at now. Jen plays tennis several days a week and often works with a trainer. So she probably has to be on a very strict diet to be her thinnest.

LostGlory
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
Where can we read a review about the book???