PDA

View Full Version : If Daniela is too reach the top, who will drop out to let her in???

aura of daniela
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM
I think Mauresmo may be the obvious choice, so I'm going by the current ranking like these without her included:
#1 V.WILLIAMS
#2 CAPRIATI
#3 CLIJSTERS
#4 HINGIS
#5 DAVENPORT
#6 S.WILLIAMS
#7 HENIN
#8 DOKIC
#9 SELES

#? HANTUCHOVA - who will she replace first and why that player?
- who is slipping out of the ranking?

Good Luck in the future Daniela my God given Angel
:angel: :hearts:

Simon

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:13 AM
either Amelie or Jelena

if it isn't Lindsay due to injury

Grice
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:14 AM
i think it'll take her a few more months to reach the Top 10, and that's provided she continues to win more big matches and tournies...
well, if someone really has to drop out, i think it'll be
1) Dokic
2) Mauresmo
3) henin

Williams Rulez
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Henin, that girl is in a slump and has low confidence. Besides, Daniela has beaten Henin recently as well...

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Henin..she hasn't beaten any other top 10 player, and often struggles to beat lower ranked players...

:bounce: :bounce: <-- (This is my 100th post!) :) ;)

Mazza
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Either Mauresmo or Henin, and maybe Dokic.....

THE NET
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:45 AM
KIM and JUSTINE!!

:o

per4ever
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
someone who's saying that Kim will drop out of top 10 is someone who knows nothing about tennis. Kim will only fall out of it if she's injured..otherwise she won't drop below 9.

matthias
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Justine didn´t impressed me much this year, and she have many points off at roland garros and wimbledon!

Rollo
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
The first with the most points to defend is Mauresmo, who went on a big clay court tear last year.

MLF
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:20 AM
I think it will be Dokic or Henin. Henin has a win over a Top 10 player ( Capriati ) but not in 2002. Henin's got loads of points to defend and I kind of think Dokic only sneaked into the top 10 because of September 11th ( she was the only one playing every week ) but all credit to her for that. I don't necessarily think Hantuchova will be the next int the top 10. Testud could do it with a solid clay season and don't write off Sanchez who could do it with a good clay season but I guess they prbably wouldn't be long term stayers this time round.

thefreedesigner
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
I agree with MirjanaLFan insomuchas though Daniela is a cert for the Top Ten, I don't think she's necessarily 'next in'.

I've not seen anything to suggest that Mauresmo isn't in the form to defend her clay points (it is hell of a lot to defend, but I think she's looking good for the majority).... next up is Justine who is the only player in the Top Ten, not displaying Top Ten form at the moment.

per4ever
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MirjanaLfan
I think it will be Dokic or Henin. Henin has a win over a Top 10 player ( Capriati ) but not in 2002.

btw Henin also beat Venus Williams in Berlin...

MLF
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Yep, I forgot to add her finest victory in! Apologies to Henin fans!

Rollo
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM
On form I don't disagree Free, Amelie is a bit more vulnerable IMO because she doesn't play loads of events, which in the long runis better for her health. If she hangs in there til the French she could pick up a lot by wining some matches there, making up for last year's bomb. Hantuchova will be top 10 by summer thoufh, one way or another.

Come-on-kim
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by THE NET
KIM and JUSTINE!!

:o

Where are you coming from???

If Kim will be out of the Top-10 it'll be because of her injury otherwise, she won't do out of the Top-10!!

alexxx
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM
I think it will be Mauresmo or Henin, they 're the most irregular of the top ten players
Dokic will have a lot of points to defend in the end of the year,but I'm sure that Daniela will reach top ten before

sartrista7
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Short-term Amélie, long-term Lindsay. See Volcana's thread for explanations, can't be arsed to type them out again.

Zhao
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:58 PM
seems like everybody is talking about it but i think Dokic will be the one replaced by Daniela :sad:

Comparing her results so far with Amelie and Henin and although i hate to do this but u guys might realise that the latter 2 came close to upset Venus in the previous tournaments this year so basically they are in good form.....:)

Its still early to judge now....may the better play wins:bounce: :bounce:

Berlin_Calling
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Not Justine :mad: SHes in a little slump right now and her confidence might be a little low but is everybody forgetting about last year?? She got beat in a very emotional semi by Kim Clijsters, but regrouped a couple weeks later in Wimbledon. Justine has a lot ahead of her and I think if she can control her BETTER serve this year, she will do very well.
As for the answer for this thread, I think Amelie will fall out because she never seems to be consistent or Jelena, only because she is injured with a back injury. BTW, if you think Justine hasn't beaten enough top ten players, Jelena has only beaten Seles :rolleyes: (Ithink)

Ryan
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Daniela won't be the nect top 10 player. She's currently 17, and there are players like Testud and Farina Elia, who are just waiting to pounce when the clay season arrives. Hantuchova wont get in top 10 until after Wimbledon, at the earliest.

GogoGirl
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Delightful Daniela: Hantuchova Hammers Hingis To Win First Career Title At Indian Wells

Photo By Cynthia Lum By Richard Pagliaro
03/17/2002

As a child growing up in Slovakia, Daniela Hantuchova played tennis while her peers played with toys. Tonight, the 18th-seeded Hantuchova played with poise and toyed with second-seeded Martina Hingis for much of the match in capturing her first career title with a 6-3, 6-4 victory in the final of the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells.

"I believed I could win from the very first point," Hantuchova said. "It's amazing. For me, it's like my dream come true. This was my first final ever in such an important tournament and playing one of the greatest players ever, beating her the way I did today was just unbelivable for me. I'm so happy."

Though Hingis' 15 Tier I titles is the most among active players on the WTA Tour, it was Hantuchova who came out playing with the confidence of a seasoned veteran. Playing in her first career Tier I final, the 6-foot Slovak pounded punishing shots into the corners to keep Hingis on the defensive.

A fearless Hantuchova took more risk with penetrating shots that frequently found the lines.

"Maybe I was too tentative and tried to play more through the middle (of the court)," Hingis said. "When I was 18, I was fearless too, I guess. She definitely has a great future ahead of her if she continues to play like this."

Hantuchova hit 33 winners in the match compared to 16 for Hingis.

"I just tried to put Martina under pressure," said Hantuchova, who has practiced with Hingis in the past, but had never played her in a WTA singles match until tonight. "I wanted to make Martina move."

Hantuchova moved Hingis around the court with all the control of a pupeteer manipulating a marionette. Holding Hingis on a string, Hantuchova frequently pushed her from corner to corner before blasting backhand winners down the line that left Hingis frozen in place.

The pace of Hantuchova's return proved to be an intimidating factor in the match. Facing break point at 3-4 in the first set, Hingis was set to deliver a second serve when she saw Hantuchova bouncing inside the baseline ready to pounce. The presence of the powerful teen forced a double fault as Hingis surrendered serve to hand Hantuchova a 5-3 lead. Hantuchova captured the first set with a fierce forehand down the line and punctuated the point with a fist pump.

"She just played very fearless, had nothing to lose," Hingis said. "I had a few opportunities, which I didn't take, especially early in the set. She hit very deeply, very few short shots that I could attack. She just played a very good match today. She wasn't afraid of going for the shots and going down the lines."

Striking the ball with even more authority in the second set, Hantuchova broke serve twice in the first five games to seize a 4-1 lead. Refusing to yield to her younger opponent, Hingis rallied briefly, winning eight straight points in a two-game stretch to close to within 4-5.

Serving for the championship for the second time, a confident Hantuchova delivered a service winner to reach championship point at 40-30 and ended the one hour, 15-minute match with her favorite shot — a backhand winner down the line. Dropping her racquet to the court, Hantuchova raced over to the stands where she embraced her parents and coach Nigel Sears.

The 26th-ranked Hantuchova is the lowest-seeded woman to win a Tier I event since 1980. As a result of her victory, Hantuchova will break into the top 20 for the first time in her career. Her ranking will rise to No. 17 when the new WTA Tour rankings are released on Monday and during her title run, Hantuchova proved she is a player with top 10 potential.

Infiniti2001
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Darn !! I'd ask Miss Cleo, but I just found out that she is a born and bred American moonlighting as a J'can heehee...
Of course playing a lot helped Jelena Dokic , but when will "some" posters realize that she is in the Top 10 because of her results???? :P

Ryan
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Maybe that was directed towards me so I'll answer anyways.

Dokic does have good results, she's won what, two Tier 1's? I just don't think she can keep up those great results.

Williams Rulez
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:48 AM
What's wrong with Dokic keeping those results?? :confused:

Scotso
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:56 AM
I think it will be Mauresmo or Dokic.

Henin has had a decent year, people.

jd4eva
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Don't worry, Jelena isn't well liked so you know, she'll of course fall out of the top 10 first. Don't you know? She got to the top 10 by turning up, god forbid she win anything.
From the FO onwards till after the US, I can only see Jelena gaining points provided she is fully fit. There's still a gap between Hantuchova and the top 10.

Tatiana Panova
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:11 PM
I would have to say Justine.

Martian Martin
Mar 18th, 2002, 03:02 PM
I think it'll be Justine, because she has a lot of points to defend at RG and Wimbledon and she won't match these performances from last year.

It could be Lindsay though depending on her injury, but I hope not.