PDA

View Full Version : Will Advanta tournament count towards Porsche standings and YEC qualifying

roots
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:35 PM
I apologize in advance if this has already been talked about, discussed or even answered. However, after reading the following section on WTA Tour, I'm wondering if the points earned in Philadelphia count towards making the Year-End Championships?

It says that "The player who finishes No.1 in the Race based on points standings the Monday before the Championships, will be awarded a 2004 Porsche Cayenne." Does that also mean the players have qualified if they are in the Top-8 the Monday before the Championships, thus November 1, when Philadelphia starts. Could someone let me know?

http://www.wtatour.com/rankings/porsche_howitworks.asp

The purpose of the Porsche Race to the Championships is to determine the eight singles players and four doubles teams that will contest the WTA Tour's season-ending Championships presented by Porsche. The Tournament is an eight-player round robin singles tournament and four-team single elimination doubles tournament scheduled for November 8-15 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California.

Unlike the WTA Rankings, which are based on a rolling, 52-week system - using a player's best 17 results for singles and 11 for doubles over the past 12 months - the Porsche Race to the Championships starts at the beginning of the season, with all players at zero points. Points earned from all WTA Tour events played (round and quality points) are added to produce the separate weekly Singles and Doubles Team standings.

This year's WTA Tour Championships provides an added incentive to players – a Porsche Cayenne. In addition to the $3 million in prize money awarded to the winners of the Championships, this year's event also includes a car giveaway to the singles winner of the Race to the Championships. The player who finishes No.1 in the Race based on points standings the Monday before the Championships, will be awarded a 2004 Porsche Cayenne.

PatM04
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I think that it counts...I know that there was a player last year who played it trying to get in...Sugiyama maybe?

Martian Willow
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM
YEC is 10-15 November, so the Monday before would be the 8th. I think.

Martian Willow
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM
The Cayenne is a shed, anyway.

martinafan
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:01 PM
As far as i know, the entire Phildapelphia tournament is counted.

Spunky83
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Yes, it does count. I can remember Myskina saying last year she needed to play Linz, cause she wanted to have more points to secure her place in the YEC. Would be a torture for the players if it doesnīt count since itīs the last regular tourney in the year...

Stefwhit
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:27 PM
It says that "The player who finishes No.1 in the Race based on points standings the Monday before the Championships, will be awarded a 2004 Porsche Cayenne." Does that also mean the players have qualified if they are in the Top-8 the Monday before the Championships, thus November 1, when Philadelphia starts. Could someone let me know?

Here's your answer:
Unlike the WTA Rankings, which are based on a rolling, 52-week system - using a player's best 17 results for singles and 11 for doubles over the past 12 months... Points earned from ALL WTA Tour events played (round and quality points) are added to produce the separate weekly Singles and Doubles Team standings.

The way I interpreted the article was that as an extra added bonus the player that just so happens to be leading by the Monday before the YEC wins a new Porsche. So the player going into the YEC as number one, and not the player to actually win the YEC, will be the one to recieve the car... As for as any preceding tournaments are concerned, they all count- up to and including Philadelphia.

Daniel
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:24 AM

roots
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for everyone's answers. I guess I thought the YEC started on Nov. 8, thus making the Monday before - Nov. 1st. I still find it odd that one or two players will only if they make it to the main draw to the YEC a couple of days prior to the event.

Who thinks if Jennifer doesn't qualify, she will not chose to be an alternate?