PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sharapova playing with her left-hand?

beauty_is_pink
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:10 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041020/i/r1333506355.jpg

http://wtaworld.com/ubb/confused.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/ummm.gif
since when did she learn a new trick like this?

Martian Willow
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
She hit a left handed forehand against Hantuchova at Wimbly that turned into a winner, so maybe she's decided to persue that avenue.

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Masha began playing tennis left-handed. After a certain age (can't remember :scratch: ) Yuri was debating whether or not Masha should play right or left, but eventually she chose right. During her Wimbly match with Dani, you can see Masha hit a short-angle lefty forehand winner on the run when Dani tried to rush the net.

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
She hit a left handed forehand against Hantuchova at Wimbly that turned into a winner, so maybe she's decided to persue that avenue. :lol: I kinda like it actually, maybe Masha will be the new Koulikovskaya :lol::lol::eek:;)

Pengwin
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:32 PM
is she left handed like Mauresmo and Navratilova?

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Momo isn't left-handed dear :)

SilK
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I can play both singles handed left and right...

but I played double handed normally :haha:

Lemonskin.
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:47 PM
What, is she not allowed to play with whatever hand she wants to? :confused:

Spunky83
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I can play both singles handed left and right...

but I played double handed normally :haha:

Cool! Ever tried to play with one racket at each hand? Should be interesting :lol: ...you know, you would be something like Edward Scissorhands, just with tennis-rackets!!!

@esquímaux: Actually it´s a wide-spread rumour that Momo actually is a lefty but plays tennis with her right hand...Not sure about this, but I always hear it.

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM
@esquímaux: Actually it´s a wide-spread rumour that Momo actually is a lefty but plays tennis with her right hand...Not sure about this, but I always hear it.Ah ok, thanx :D. Maybe that would explain her horrid forehand technique :tape: Oh well, I love you anyway Momesbo :kiss:

SilK
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Well, I think this goes up for ALL boys... :lol:

Not for Maria Sharapova!

Spunky83
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Ah ok, thanx :D. Maybe that would explain her horrid forehand technique :tape: Oh well, I love you anyway Momesbo :kiss:

I´d love to see if a die-hard Momo fanc can confirm this lefty-thing...where are you?

Frank
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Cool! Ever tried to play with one racket at each hand? Should be interesting :lol: ...you know, you would be something like Edward Scissorhands, just with tennis-rackets!!!

:haha:
They should change the rules for that!

Oh, Esquímaux gave a pretty good explanation, so I guess the question is answered...:)

beauty_is_pink
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:40 PM
What, is she not allowed to play with whatever hand she wants to? :confused:its a question. i saw the pic and wondered.
that is all.

brunof
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM

@esquímaux: Actually it´s a wide-spread rumour that Momo actually is a lefty but plays tennis with her right hand...Not sure about this, but I always hear it.
I've hit myself in the head several times while playing tennis...I can't imagine hitting with two rackets...What a mess for this uncoordinated fool! :lol:

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Well, I think this goes up for ALL boys... :lol:Why not? I do :)

thelittlestelf
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Masha almost played as a lefty! Although I can't say much for that grip :tape:

-Sonic-
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Everyone's on poor maria's case lol... or maybe its in your head. :devil:

Shenanigans
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I´d love to see if a die-hard Momo fanc can confirm this lefty-thing...where are you?

I asked this question in the momo forum cause I read she is naturally left handed but apparently she signs autographs with her right hand so don't know were this stems from. Maybe someone mixed her up with Jana Kandarr. :)

shnit.
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:45 PM
What, is she not allowed to play with whatever hand she wants to? :confused:she was jus askin. geez :rolleyes: why you have to be all *cough*sensitive*cough*..:p

Joana
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:02 AM
I Maybe someone mixed her up with Jana Kandarr. :)
It could actually make sense. Apparently the two of them switched places at one particular match 3 years ago. :sad:

the cat
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:09 AM
b_i_p, Maria is nearly ambidextrous and that's why she occasionally will hit a left handed forehand when she's pulled too wide to hit a backhand. And she hit a great lefthanded forehand at Wimbledon against Dani in their third round match.

Dan23
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:32 AM
Masha began playing tennis left-handed. After a certain age (can't remember :scratch: ) Yuri was debating whether or not Masha should play right or left, but eventually she chose right. During her Wimbly match with Dani, you can see Masha hit a short-angle lefty forehand winner on the run when Dani tried to rush the net.
Thats right and it was when she was 10 they decided to go right handed.
..and as the cat says it helps when reaching out on the backhand side to be able to hit a left hand forehand

Paldias
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:38 AM
I think this was when she was hitting balls into the crowd since she kind of has a smile on her face.

tennischick
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:46 AM
maybe she's saving the right hand to count her money :eek: :p

Leo_DFP
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:18 AM
What, is she not allowed to play with whatever hand she wants to? :confused:I don't know, maybe seeing a player who plays right-handed choke up on lefty forehand confused this peron. Is that not sensible? Not all of us have seen that match against Hantuchova at Wimbledon, believe it or not.

Marcus1979
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Maybe she needs the right hand free just in case.

Like certain other players do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maggie&MomoFan
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:42 AM
im pretty sure amelie mauresmo is right handed because if you see everytime she signs an auto its withthe right!

mrush2004
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:13 AM
im pretty sure amelie mauresmo is right handed because if you see everytime she signs an auto its withthe right!

just cause someone writes right doesnt mean their right handed.

i write with my left hand but im right handed in everything else.

Aphrodite
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:36 AM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041020/i/r1333506355.jpg

http://wtaworld.com/ubb/confused.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/ummm.gif
since when did she learn a new trick like this?

she got tired of using her right hand, cause she does too many other things with her right hand....:confused:

Maudy
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
In the earlier years it was not good if you were left handed. People thought everyone had to be righthanded. My aunt also was born left handed (now she is 50 years old) but at school she wasn't allowed to write with her left hand, so they taught her to write with her right hand. Maybe in Russia it was also taught untill the end off the Sovjet Union (they were very old fashioned in that time offcourse) or something, but that it still happend/was comon to people after that!

saki
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:19 PM
It's also possible that whoever uploaded the picture flipped it because they thought it looked better the other way around.

Pengwin
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:26 PM
It's also possible that whoever uploaded the picture flipped it because they thought it looked better the other way around.

you're right, look at this pic of Justine playing with her left hand that I happened to find

Shenanigans
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM
In the earlier years it was not good if you were left handed. People thought everyone had to be righthanded. My aunt also was born left handed (now she is 50 years old) but at school she wasn't allowed to write with her left hand, so they taught her to write with her right hand. Maybe in Russia it was also taught untill the end off the Sovjet Union (they were very old fashioned in that time offcourse) or something, but that it still happend/was comon to people after that!

I've heard of that but there is some players who play with the opposite hand to which the write. I think Nadal is right handed but plays left handed and Moya the other way round. I know Jana Kandarr on the women's side was the same. Strange, so maybe it is the same for Maria.

kikker
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
That's funny, I pleasure myself left-handed, but am right-handed in everything eles .
too much information

esquímaux
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
you're right, look at this pic of Justine playing with her left hand that I happened to findYes, that picture has been flipped, you can see the "s" behind Juju is reversed :).

Frank
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Yes, that picture has been flipped, you can see the "s" behind Juju is reversed :).
Sharp...;)

The picture of Maria isn't reversed in any case. You can easily see "wis" in the background...:)

esquímaux
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:44 PM
...and the fact that she has a choked-up grip on that lefty forehand (as if she had a two-handed grip and just release the right hand).