PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova vs Williams - If it should happen - Thoughts?

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:48 PM
'Thoughts' BTW, implies something more than 'Venus will kick her ass' and/or 'Maria will demolish Venus'. How do you think the match will actually unfold? What will each player attack? Where will they try to get their points?

You know, maybe this thread is a mistake. Maybe I should just delete it now. This sort of thing always fills up with really stupid comments. Oh well, let me give it half an hour and see.

cool bird
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:06 PM
If it does happen and that still quite far away.

But if it does it will be a battle from the baseline. Venus serve will hold to the key to match I think as well as the forehand.
Also Sharapova will have to be ready to play two or three shots more than she would normaly play. Her Cross court backhand will have to find the spot cus she is going in to a better (not by much) But a better Double backhand than hers. But Sharapova Forehand is a better shot that Venus forehand.
I think Venus will try to get Sharapova on the move Venus is alot better mover than Sharapova.
Sharapova will hit 90% of the balls to Venus forehand in a rally hopeing for a short ball of ufe.
It hard to judge who will win it. If both play there best I would pick Venus hands down as much as I admire Sharapova Venus is near unplayble when playing her best I mean she can hit a winner nearly off of anything.
But Venus is no where near that level and has not been for nearly two years now. I think I would give Sharapova the win purly cus I think she wants it maybe that little bit more.

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Masha should take her out too so she can have two Williams heads to put on her wall :lol:

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:15 PM
One thing Venus: backhand down the line.....just open the court with the shot. Maria isn´t the best mover, so if you can consistently go dtl than you should be fine.

Plus: Serve down the middle.....Maria doesn´t have any clue what to do with those serves.,

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Masha should take her out too so she can have two Williams heads to put on her wall :lol:Here come the stupid comments. I knew this was a mistake.

Andrew.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:19 PM
It will all be up to Venus IMO. Venus hits harder, moves better, volleys better... Venus is just better. Sharapova hasn't done anything since Wimbledon. Venus will go into this match with a gameplan - run around the forehand, hit serves down the tee and make Sharapova move.

esquímaux
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Here come the stupid comments. I knew this was a mistake.Well that was my thought :shrug: It's what you asked for, right? :scratch:

cool bird
Ban you make it sound so easy but Shaz does keep a great lenth with her cross court back hand so it will be hard for Venus to go dtl all the time.But is she can chuck it in it could even out one of Shrarapova greatest weapons. Cus it put pursure on Shrarpova to hit the down the line back hand which I do no not think is as good as the cross court one.
I disagree I think Sharapova has a very good return of serves from all courts

SerenaSlam
One thing Venus: backhand down the line.....just open the court with the shot. Maria isn´t the best mover, so if you can consistently go dtl than you should be fine.

Plus: Serve down the middle.....Maria doesn´t have any clue what to do with those serves.,
u know i noticed that about her. she has wonderful reutrns with her forehand don't get me wrong. but she acts like she is not with the progam when it comes to her backhand.

i think she will underestimate venus right now. knowing she isn't doing all that good. venus can pick it up drastically at times.

i think venus' forehand will be the key. b/c her backhand will start out doing the damage. its will be a nice match to see. they will be trading some nice clean shots.

venus in 2 though if it happens. 6-4 6-3.

know that if venus is on her game, and Maria is on her game, venus would even better like 6-2 6-3. but right now we don't know where or what venus is doing or where she is at.

esquímaux
:rolls:

Andrew.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Ban you make it sound so easy but Shaz does keep a great lenth with her cross court back hand so it will be hard for Venus to go dtl all the time.But is she can chuck it in it could even out one of Shrarapova greatest weapons. Cus it put pursure on Shrarpova to hit the down the line back hand which I do no not think is as good as the cross court one.
Her return of serve in general is nothing special.

tennisIlove09
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
they match up evenly, I think.

first serve: edge to Venus
second serve: edge to Maria
Forehand: edge to Maria
backhand: edge to Venus
net play: edge to Venus

they both run well and are good on defense. I hope it happens!

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Maria does many things right, but returning isn´t one of them...yeah, she has a decent return, but she CAN´T return the serve down the middle...go back watch that WImbledon against Lindsay before the rain...Maria was clueless with that serve.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Actually that match is only one win away....when Venus beats Ivanovic, she'll face Sharapova in the quarterfinals. (Oh by the way the 6th - 8th qualifiers for the YEC are Masha, Serena, and Venus!)

I think that if Venus plays the way she played against Sprem (a top 20 player), she will beat Sharapova no matter what Masha does. That's not so likely so in all honesty, if Richard, or Oracene did a good job of scouting out Masha and looking at the patterns she found herself in during her first match, Venus should have a pretty good idea of what kept that Hantuchova match so close. If Venus can keep her forehand side clean and hit lots of those beautiful down the line backhands, she should win, regardless of her serve.
Sharapova should win if she plays energetically (a la Serena match) and goes for everything, and it goes in....she kinda plays like Sprem with a lot more court sense (thanks to Bolliteri). If she serves bigger than Venus, and gets a HUGE 1st serve %, she might keep it close.
I think that Venus will win because she has more experience playing against players with lots of variety. Sharapova has not played players like Seles and Graf or developed career rivalries with Serena, Davenport, Dementieva, and other top players, so I think that Venus' experience should pull her through unless she has a dismal performance not unlike the 3rd round of the Oz Open, the quarters of the French, the 2nd round of Wimbledon, the finals of Bank of the West, and the quarters of Moscow.

This will be a good match of Wimbledon Champs, but I pick Venus to win in three tough sets.

faste5683
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I had some thoughts once, but they went away.

:wavey:

cool bird
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
That was true but after the rain she was picking the down the T. Why she wasnt in the first I will never know cus it Davenport fav sever.

Andrew.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
That was true but after the rain she was picking the down the T. Why she wasnt in the first I will never know cus it Davenport fav sever.
Probably because someone clued her in in the lockerroom.

cool bird
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Very good point.
I have a question if they do meet do you think Venus should maybe stand back a bit on Sharapova second serve to get a bit more time I notice a lot of players stand inside the base line for it and cus it such a good serve they have very little time to get it back

darrinbaker00
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
If that match indeed takes place, I think Sharapova will be as focused as she was for Serena at Wimbledon. Venus '04 may not be playing like Venus '00-02, but she's still a major notch to put on your six-shooter. By the same token, knocking off the reigning Wimbledon champion would be quite a feather in Venus' empty '04 cap, so I'm sure she'll bring her "A" game as well. All else being equal, Venus' experience should get her over.

darrinbaker00
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I think that Venus' experience should pull her through unless she has a dismal performance not unlike the 3rd round of the Oz Open, the quarters of the French, the 2nd round of Wimbledon, the finals of Bank of the West, and the quarters of Moscow.
With all due respect, the only thing "dismal" about the Stanford final was the end result, not Venus' performance. In fact, I don't have a problem with any of Venus' three losses to Lindsay; it's those other seven that shouldn't have happened.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Yep...it´s losses to Raymond and Sprems of this world...those are the bad losses.

SerenaSlam
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Very good point.
I have a question if they do meet do you think Venus should maybe stand back a bit on Sharapova second serve to get a bit more time I notice a lot of players stand inside the base line for it and cus it such a good serve they have very little time to get it back
venus and serena have the quickest "reflexis" out there. so whether or not she "tries" to surprise her w/ whatever, venus will have no problem. and once she does try and say she does get once. it won't happen twice. seeing that venus just like her sister learn very quickly in matches.

wimbledon Maria didn't really go for it that much. she knew what she was up against. errors are what helped her in that final.

if they meet. Maria is gonna have to play her game, but also at the same time be more so "safe" when it comes to her serve.

B/c everyone i don't give a damn about venus and her serve, knows going into a match, abilities vs abilities the williams sisters will have the "positive" going into the match (with the exception of the current venus williams forehand)

so really i think Maria is gonna be more so nervous of the venus serve, and not be going for so much with her second.

franny
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Well, here's my breakdown.

First Serve: Williams
Second Serve: Sharapova
Movement: Williams
Forehand: Sharapova
Backhand: Williams
Net: Tied?
Return: Williams
Who is playing better right now? Tied

Niether are playing their best at the moment. Venus I think have played more big matches against higher quality opponents in the past few weeks. Maria has had trouble beating players in the top 30. If they do meet, I will actually pick Venus to win. The keys of the match are:

Venus' serve. How will that thing hold up? Will she serve a gazillion double faults or will it be one of her "on" days.

Sharapova's movement: The girl just aint fast. At Wimbledon she was moving so well, because grass just suits her game. But on hardcourts and indoor courts, she's just not very good. I watched those matches of her's at the Open and I gotta say, she was slower than Lindsay. Unlike Williams, she's just not quite used to moving with her lenghty frame. It's something she'll learn and get used to in time, but right now, Williams has the complete edge in the movement category. If Venus gets Sharapova on the run, I highly doubt that Maria will have much of a chance.

Who will dictate play? I think that this is THE key to the match. Sharapova CANNOT allow Venus to dictate play. She has to step it up and be the person on the offense. Otherwise she's got no shot unless Venus just plays abysmal.

Venus' forehand. Like another poster said, Maria will be hitting towards the Williams forehand 90% of the time. I have no doubt in my mind that's what she'll do. How will Venus handle the pace of the ball? Will she handle the pace to her forehand better than Serena did at Wimbledon? How will her footwork be. Will she pull up on the ball like she often does?

Break Points: This is indoors, both have big serves. Whoever wins will be the player who takes advantage of those break point chances.

My prediction: Venus in two with 1 break difference in each set. Something like 6-4, 7-5 or like 6-3, 7-6. The thing is, we never know which Venus will show up. When we least expect her to play her best, she does. I think that Venus will show up for this match and play her best tennis. Sharapova is just not a complete player enough yet. I think that next year will be the year we see Sharapova start beating the top players, but not this year. Not yet at least. Either ways, whoever wins, I'll be happy. I love both players.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
IF it does happen, it wouldn't be an interesting match. One of them will go of the boil and hit loadsa errors, and the over will be consistent in hitting the ball back. (hopefully Venus will be the latter)

franny
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Well that was my thought :shrug: It's what you asked for, right? :scratch:
Actually, it's not what Volcana asked for. To quote Volcana:
"'Thoughts' BTW, implies something more than 'Venus will kick her ass' and/or 'Maria will demolish Venus'. How do you think the match will actually unfold? What will each player attack? Where will they try to get their points?"

Dont be disrespecting the wishes of the thread starter man.

Lemonskin.
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:21 PM
My prediction: Venus in two with 1 break difference in each set. Something like 6-4, 7-5 or like 6-3, 7-6. The thing is, we never know which Venus will show up. When we least expect her to play her best, she does. I think that Venus will show up for this match and play her best tennis. Sharapova is just not a complete player enough yet. I think that next year will be the year we see Sharapova start beating the top players, but not this year. Not yet at least. Either ways, whoever wins, I'll be happy. I love both players.
You say that she loses when you expect her to win - does that mean you're condeming her to a loss against Maria? :p

Plzzzzzzzz win Masha, I want to see bandabou cry.

Frank
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Pffffffff...Uhm, I don't think Maria will win. That's it.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:48 PM
It will all be up to Venus IMO. Venus hits harder, moves better, volleys better... Venus is just better. Sharapova hasn't done anything since Wimbledon. Venus will go into this match with a gameplan - run around the forehand, hit serves down the tee and make Sharapova move.

I'm sure Maria won't go into the match with a game plan, so Venus has the advantage.

Andrew.
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I'm sure Maria won't go into the match with a game plan, so Venus has the advantage.
Maria will go in trying to overpower Venus, which she cannot do.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:00 PM
You say that she loses when you expect her to win - does that mean you're condeming her to a loss against Maria? :p

Why so mean to poor old bandy?! :angel:

franny
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM

lol no, i'm not that tricky ;). I really do think that Venus is playing better right now, that's all. Who knows, I just hope it's a good match, even though its not like i'll be able to watch it.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Venus will win, in straight sets.

faste5683
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Well, here's my breakdown.

First Serve: Williams
Second Serve: Sharapova
Movement: Williams
Forehand: Sharapova
Backhand: Williams
Net: Tied?
Return: Williams
Who is playing better right now? Tied

Niether are playing their best at the moment. Venus I think have played more big matches against higher quality opponents in the past few weeks. Maria has had trouble beating players in the top 30. If they do meet, I will actually pick Venus to win. The keys of the match are:

Venus' serve. How will that thing hold up? Will she serve a gazillion double faults or will it be one of her "on" days.

Sharapova's movement: The girl just aint fast. At Wimbledon she was moving so well, because grass just suits her game. But on hardcourts and indoor courts, she's just not very good. I watched those matches of her's at the Open and I gotta say, she was slower than Lindsay. Unlike Williams, she's just not quite used to moving with her lenghty frame. It's something she'll learn and get used to in time, but right now, Williams has the complete edge in the movement category. If Venus gets Sharapova on the run, I highly doubt that Maria will have much of a chance.

Who will dictate play? I think that this is THE key to the match. Sharapova CANNOT allow Venus to dictate play. She has to step it up and be the person on the offense. Otherwise she's got no shot unless Venus just plays abysmal.

Venus' forehand. Like another poster said, Maria will be hitting towards the Williams forehand 90% of the time. I have no doubt in my mind that's what she'll do. How will Venus handle the pace of the ball? Will she handle the pace to her forehand better than Serena did at Wimbledon? How will her footwork be. Will she pull up on the ball like she often does?

Break Points: This is indoors, both have big serves. Whoever wins will be the player who takes advantage of those break point chances.

Great post! Thanks to you, I didn't have to think about the match at all. Sometimes all that thinking makes my brain hurt. Other than your prediction (after all, who knows?) I'm right with you - and pain free!

:kiss:

:wavey:

thelittlestelf
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:25 PM
I want Venus to get her first top 10 win since Wimbledon more than anything.

She has more weapons than Sharapova and moves a lot better.

It is in Venus' hands, as is almost every match.

Jaime Bahena
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:38 AM
Maria will go in trying to overpower Venus, which she cannot do.

Power's not everything, right? Who is the finesse player?

Andrew.
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:46 AM
Power's not everything, right? Who is the finesse player?
When you have two power players, power is alot. Neither does finesse too well.

First serve = Venus
Second serve = Sharapova
Forehand = Sharapova
Backhand = Venus
Mobility = Venus
Netplay = Venus

Chance
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM
first Ana....then we'll see about Sharapova.

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
I Think Maria has her mojo working now but Venus is always tough Id say Maria in 3:)

jenny161185
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:14 PM
oh ofcourse Maria didnt go for it in the Wimbledon final SerenaSlam , she just waited till Serena hit every ball out! can you ever give anyone credit! NO!

Anyone I think if Veus can get into the rallies and go for her shots she will do well , and if Sharapova can sustain baseline rallies and go for her shots I think it will be a v tough match to call , good luck to both

Chunchun
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:49 PM
serena win 60 60 :devil:

maybe it'll be next yr Wimbledon final :p

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM
Venus'll win 6:4 6:3

kikker
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:20 PM
i'm rooting for masha :bounce: :bounce: although it's gonna be a very tough match

selesbooz
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:08 PM
why does everyone say that Venus moves so well. she moves ok, alittle better then maria but not good. i thnik that is what has been keeping her game back is her movement.
Maria should win this match, at this point she is better then Venus, i like venus just as much as everyone else, but she has been playing pretty badly lately. Losing to a Russian not in the top ten......Come on

franny
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM
Are you kidding me? She moves OK? She is one of the best movers on the tour, that's something that you can't take away from her. You can say she's inconsistent, you can say she's not motivated, you can say her serve sucks, but you can't say that she's not freaking fast. Her long strides, big reach, and foot speed combined makes her one of the fastest on tour, and it's her ability to hit winners on the run or put players in a defensive position from the run that makes her so good.

selesbooz
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM
She is fast, but not a great mover, there is a difference. I am fast on a tennis court but i dont move my feet well. She would hit a lot more winners if she move better. look at that match at the Open against Davenport, venus should of won too many UFE. Venus is good, but some times i think she over runs the ball.

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:08 PM
Well I have to say after watching Venus play she will need to pick it up a big deal if she is to have any chance when she plays Sharapova.

Sharapova will not get tight in the big match and she like Venus can hit winners from any where and at any time.

Venus played well in bits and pices but it was not really a great Venus Williams performance. Not to take anything away from Ana who played a great match. But you could see when they where in baseline rallys Venus had the tiny bit more class on her shots. But she made UFE at the wrong time. Venus should have been off the court 2 and 2 but let Ana back in it due to erros.

Not highly impressed with Venus tennis but her fighting quilty and Championship heart prove what a great she is.

And as for Ana well I think give her a few years a we have a new top tenner on are hands

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
Well I have to say after watching Venus play she will need to pick it up a big deal if she is to have any chance when she plays Sharapova.

Sharapova will not get tight in the big match and she like Venus can hit winners from any where and at any time.

Venus played well in bits and pices but it was not really a great Venus Williams performance. Not to take anything away from Ana who played a great match. But you could see when they where in baseline rallys Venus had the tiny bit more class on her shots. But she made UFE at the wrong time. Venus should have been off the court 2 and 2 but let Ana back in it due to erros.

Not highly impressed with Venus tennis but her fighting quilty and Championship heart prove what a great she is.

And as for Ana well I think give her a few years a we have a new top tenner on are hands
This year Venus played Sharapova. It was in January in Hongkong. Venus was 3-5 down in the first and won the match 7:5 6:3
That says a lot, man.

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
We'll see tomorrow.

Frank
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM
This year Venus played Sharapova. It was in January in Hongkong. Venus was 3-5 down in the first and won the match 7:5 6:3
That says a lot, man.
What does it say then? That Venus was better than Maria in January of this year? Wow, that sure is valuable information...:rolleyes:

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
What does it say then? That Venus was better than Maria in January of this year? Wow, that sure is valuable information...:rolleyes:

:lol: I Know some people just dont get that every match is like a fresh new start. And so many things are different from January to now.

And when they played was not a expo not a real match. Cus if it was that is total different to a real live match

franny
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
She is fast, but not a great mover, there is a difference. I am fast on a tennis court but i dont move my feet well. She would hit a lot more winners if she move better. look at that match at the Open against Davenport, venus should of won too many UFE. Venus is good, but some times i think she over runs the ball.
Oh ok, so you mean like footwork? That I guess I kinda agree with, she's best when she is on the run. That's why sometimes, when she only has to take small steps she hits the unnecessary errors. Still, when we refer to movement, we mean speed. Sharapova has great footwork but she's slow at this point.

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
It says that Venus will win tomorrow. Both are better than in January so things didn't change. And by the way - Sharapova played really shit yesterday against Hantuchova. Venus won Hantuchova 7:6 6:2 this year when Venus wasn't at her best.
And seems like Sharapova isn't very self-confident. Picking Tier 4 events shows that.
Lets wait till tomorrow and we will see how Sharapova gets ass-banged with Venus power. :fiery:

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
It says that Venus will win tomorrow. Both are better than in January so things didn't change. And by the way - Sharapova played really shit yesterday against Hantuchova. Venus won Hantuchova 7:6 6:2 this year when Venus wasn't at her best.
And seems like Sharapova isn't very self-confident. Picking Tier 4 events shows that.
Lets wait till tomorrow and we will see how Sharapova gets ass-banged by Venus' power. :fiery:

chris whiteside
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
It depends on which Venus turns up.

Frank
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Lets wait till tomorrow and we will see how Sharapova gets ass-banged by Venus' power. :fiery:
:haha: :spit:

Are you serious? :rolls:

It says that Venus will win tomorrow? :lol:

Dude, I have a feeling Venus will win tomorrow as well, but that has nothing to do with what happened 9 months ago.

For the rest of your post, uhm, I won't waste my energy on that.

Keep living in your own little imaginary world! :wavey:

P.S. I hope for you Venus wins tomorrow, you would look pretty stupid if she gets beaten...;)

Paneru
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM
It depends on which Venus turns up.
:cool:

davidmario
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
:haha: :spit:

Are you serious? :rolls:

It says that Venus will win tomorrow? :lol:

Dude, I have a feeling Venus will win tomorrow as well, but that has nothing to do with what happened 9 months ago.

For the rest of your post, uhm, I won't waste my energy on that.

Keep living in your own little imaginary world! :wavey:

P.S. I hope for you Venus wins tomorrow, you would look pretty stupid if she gets beaten...;)
Venus knows how to win against her - that has of course something to do with it :cuckoo:

Frank
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:12 PM
Venus knows how to win against her - that has of course something to do with it :cuckoo:
Oh, how could I forget? :tape: :lol:

WF4EVER
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:37 PM
The consensus is "It depends on which Venus turns up".

ITA.

Like I said in another forum, Venus has played Maria and has seen Maria play, so she should already have her gameplan mapped out. If she goes out motivated like she was in the first round, it should be a doozy, but which Venus Williams will take the court tomorrow is anybody's guess.

We'll see. We'll see.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM
Its all in Masha's racket wether she will bring it on or not!!!!!!!!! Venus wont do anything if Masha plays really good.

tennischick
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM
i think it depends on how well Venus recovers from being roughed up in her last match against the 16 year old. if she is fully recovered, Maria will lose in straights. if she isn't, Maria in 3.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM
Its all in Masha's racket wether she will bring it on or not!!!!!!!!! Venus wont do anything if Masha plays really good.

Now,now....you DO remember that the highest ranked played Maria has beaten since Wimbledon was Daniela, do you?!

Sooo, it goes a bit too far saying that the match is just on her racket.

thelittlestelf
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM
why does everyone say that Venus moves so well. she moves ok, alittle better then maria but not good. i thnik that is what has been keeping her game back is her movement.
Maria should win this match, at this point she is better then Venus, i like venus just as much as everyone else, but she has been playing pretty badly lately. Losing to a Russian not in the top ten......Come on
Um, a miss Venus Williams used to be able to run a 5-6 minute mile and almost pursued track professionally. She knows how to move, thanks.

Venus is probably about the fastest player on tour.

thelittlestelf
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:22 PM
:lol: I Know some people just dont get that every match is like a fresh new start. And so many things are different from January to now.

And when they played was not a expo not a real match. Cus if it was that is total different to a real live match
And other people don't get that previous match history means a lot, EVEN if it was an exhibitation match.

Not to mention that that was the 2nd match she played after being out of the game for so long.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Now,now....you DO remember that the highest ranked played Maria has beaten since Wimbledon was Daniela, do you?!

Sooo, it goes a bit too far saying that the match is just on her racket.So tell me who was the highest rank player venus defeated after wimbledon???? And how many titles did she won since wimbledon???

daniela is far more accomplished than Sprem who was the highest rank player venus has beaten since wimby.

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
What history they have played once. When you have played somebody 24 times like Davenport and Venus have then maybe we can comment. But once in a exhibition match is not a real insight in to there pervouis match history

tennischick
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:54 PM

Sooo, it goes a bit too far saying that the match is just on her racket.sooooo...if Maria DOES succeed in spanking Venus, what exactly would that mean? and who would the win/loss have worse implications for -- Venus or Maria? :confused: :confused:

DEETHELICK
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
New match, new day. I think venus will be that tad bit more consistent off the ground. Her groundies were pretty good. Yes she overhit, but she also reined them in when needed. And I think she will be motivated.

Go Venus. I want a Venus vs Elena SF. Now that would be exciting!

lindsayno1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
i havent read the whole of this so sorry if someones said this already, but as much as im not a fan of masha, i wouldnt underestimate her. look what she did to davenport and serena at wimbledon. addmitedly neither were on top form, but neither is venus. So i dunno, depends how they play on the day!

Frank
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
:tape:

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Bandabou, infinitti, lichris, volcana, etc......