PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the WTA player of the year?

JennyS
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Who was the top woman in tennis in 2004?

bmxbandit
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Davenport

Chunchun
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Dementieva

Gowza
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM
we had 4 different slam winners but i dont see any of them being in contention. i think its down to dementieva and davenport dementieva has been in 2 slam finals this year which no one else did this year. and she has been pretty consistent this year although not winning many titles. davenport, from about wimbledon onwards she was the best player out there, she didnt win a slam or even make the final but she did get the number 1 ranking and got quite a few titles this year. its a fight between the 2 slam finals for elena and the #1 ranking for lindsay.

ans
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Justine is one of my faves, but I voted Davenport, she's been most consistent this year, so she definitely deserves it.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
justine. won two big ones. sorry, lindsay had a terrific year. very consistent, but she just doesn't have that big title.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Tough, tough.....I think right now if one of the slam winners or Dementieva or Davenport wins the YEC then she is the player of the year.

deckham
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM
whoever wins the YEC... you have all the frontrunners in there.... if myskina, dementieva, mauresmo, or davenport wins it then i'd say it's that player....

but it's got to be one of those 4.

Greenout
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:02 PM
What if Amelie and LD are still not fit, and the Russians all choke?
Let's say Serena wins the YEC out of sheer will to set things straight.

Who will be the player of the year now?

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Now that makes things even more interesting......

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:04 PM
If one of the slam winners or Davenport, win the YEC, then it's obvious.
Otherwise, it's wide open.

TennisFan75
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:06 PM
justine. won two big ones. sorry, lindsay had a terrific year. very consistent, but she just doesn't have that big title.
My thoughts as well... :wavey:

Greenout
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Now that makes things even more interesting......

The way I see it is if Serena wins the YEC, the WTA player
of the year will still go to LD. The only Russians that have
a chance to be player of the year are the slam winners-
Sveta, Sharpy and Myskina- they must win the YEC to be
WTA player of the year. Amelie is not loved by the WTA nor
is Justine they have no chance- even if Amelie wins the YEC
she will not be player of the year, it will still be LD.

Now for the ITF- this is different. If Serena wins- Justine will
be the player of the year. The Olympics was a big deal this year
more so than any other year because it was in EUROPE, and
it had the best placed ranked players in the draw. It also doesn't
hurt that with Olympic President J. Rogue- especially moved and
inclined to keep tennis in the Olympics from here on after 2004.

If Maria wins the YEC she will be the player of the year for the
ITF. LD will be the player of the year only if she wins the YEC.

The only 3 players in contention for ITF player of the year are
LD, Sharpy and Justine. The rest won't get a look in I suspect.

Whatever the outcome it's really fascinating and full of intrigue.

deckham
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:14 PM
What if Amelie and LD are still not fit, and the Russians all choke?
Let's say Serena wins the YEC out of sheer will to set things straight.

Who will be the player of the year now?
not serena.... :)

j_dementieva27
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM
its obviously lindsay right now, especailly if she takes the YEC

otherwise its between her, justine, and elena d

ace4lleykim
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Davenport, she won 7 titles and becomes Number 1, and lead in the Porsche Race. I think she deserves to be Player of the Year.

jonny84
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Without a doubt Lindsay - just a shame that she didn't win a Grand Slam this year.

And probably a special mention to Elena D, Maria S, Svetlana and Anastasia for their Grand Slam accomplishments.

Fearful Jesuit
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Dementieva

ys
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Davenport.. With one slightest exception.. Unless Myskina wins Masters.. Than, I think, it is Myskina.

But who should be *real* player of the year is obvious..

Justine played just three freaking months out of all year and still she qualified for Masters.. If she'd manage to play healthy another two months, #1 and player of the year would have never been in question..

An that said given that I _really_ dislike her..

Capster
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Hantuchova

*kaz*
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I don't know.

I'd say Henin because she has a slam and an olympic gold, but does she deserve it after hardly playing.
Myskina, Sharapova and Kuznetsova have a slam, so one of them doesn't deserve it more than the other.
Dementieva got to 2 slam finals but didn't win them.
Momo and Lindsay got to number 1, but didn't win anything important. So who'll remember their performences this year, five years down the line.
Same for the rest of the top 10 and Venus. Didn't win anything important this year to deserve it.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I picked the injury bug! Look at this:

Venus withdrew from Pan Pacific because of wrist pains, she retired in her Davenport match after leading the eventual champion 5-0.
Serena started her season two months later because of knee pain and the flu, she missed the olympics, and montreal because of her knee, as well as giving walkovers in the Family Circle Cup and Acura Classic.
Justine lost in the second round of the French and didn't play Wimbledon because of her viral disease
After making it to the finals of the Oz Open, Kim played four more tourneys and then didn't play "her schedule" of tennis (+20 tourneys a year) and now might be facing permanent retirement
Lindsay SHOULD HAVE won her semifinal against Kuznetsova and Sharapova, but she cited groin injuries in both losses.

If I had to pick a player....I would say either Davenport or Dementieva. I think that, since I'm such a HUGE Williams fan, if they make it an All-Williams Final (which is appearing quite likely), then I would have to say Serena. But I really think that Davenport deserves it....especially since she will be year end #1 and if she wins YEC.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM
The way I see it is if Serena wins the YEC, the WTA player
of the year will still go to LD. The only Russians that have
a chance to be player of the year are the slam winners-
Sveta, Sharpy and Myskina- they must win the YEC to be
WTA player of the year. Amelie is not loved by the WTA nor
is Justine they have no chance- even if Amelie wins the YEC
she will not be player of the year, it will still be LD.

Now for the ITF- this is different. If Serena wins- Justine will
be the player of the year. The Olympics was a big deal this year
more so than any other year because it was in EUROPE, and
it had the best placed ranked players in the draw. It also doesn't
hurt that with Olympic President J. Rogue- especially moved and
inclined to keep tennis in the Olympics from here on after 2004.

If Maria wins the YEC she will be the player of the year for the
ITF. LD will be the player of the year only if she wins the YEC.

The only 3 players in contention for ITF player of the year are
LD, Sharpy and Justine. The rest won't get a look in I suspect.

Whatever the outcome it's really fascinating and full of intrigue.

Pretty much sums it up....I think Lindsay is gonna get it for sentimental reasons.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:14 PM
I don't see HOW Sharapova could be considered for Player of the year unless she wins the YEC. She won a Grand Slam yes....but she won her other three titles as Tier IIIs and a Tier IV, and in one of her tourney wins, she didn't play anyone ranked in the top 100! Same with Myskina. When Justine won the French she lost to Serena in the SEMIS of Wimbledon (an emphatic performance from Serena, especially after such a terrible loss). Myskina and Sharapova have both had dissapointing performances as recent GS Champions. I honestly think without the YEC in their grasp, they are totally undeserving of the Player of the Year Award. When players like Justine (pre-virus), Lindsay, and Dementieva have played good tennis all year, and player like Serena and Mauresmo played good tennis as well, but were hampered by injuries (Serena's was physical and Amelie's was mental).

*kaz*
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I didn't realise it was the WTA that picked it. I thought it was a fan vote. They'll either pick Lindsay or Maria. Probably Maria because she's 17, she's a pretty blonde russian like Anna, she's brought the tour lot's of attention. She has a big list of titles. The WTA won't mind what level they are.

Fingon
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry but IMO it's all down to the GSs.

I don't care who is consistent, I don't care who ends the year # 1, or holds the # 1 for more weeks during the year.

Player of the year means player with the best achievements, not most consistent player.

And the YEC cannot remotely compare to the slams, neither can GS finals, it's winning the slams what really counts.

Because we have four different GS winners, IMO it's down to those 4 players, and unless one of them wins it, the YEC is completely irrelevant.

So to break the tie among the 4 winners then you can see what else they won.

Justine Indian Wells, the Olympics, Sydney, Dubai (a big tier 1, the olympics and two tier 2s). Personally I don't think the olympics should be weighted.

Myskina has Doha and Moscow, a tier 1 and a tier 2.

Maria has Birmigham, Seoul and Tokyo (two tier 3 and a tier 4) (Bandabou STFU).

Kuznetsova has Eastbourne and Bali (tier II and tier III).

Of course if Kuznetsova, Sharapova or Myskina win the YEC that player should get the player of the year,

but if that doesn't happen, then it's down to the tier 1s: Myskina and Justine have 1 each while Sveta and Maria don't.

Because neither Myskina or Justine can win Zurich, and, Justine still has an advantage with the tier 2s (not counting the Olympics or the fact that IW is bigger than Moscow), so unless Myskina wins Linz AND Philadelphia (I don't know if she is playing) then her only chance is to win the YEC. Even if that happens then you would have to break the tie somehow and then maybe the Olympics and the bigger size of IW should count.

Because SVeta is not playing Zurich, she has no chance unless she wins the YEC.

Maria, she needs to win the YEC, another possibility is winning Zurich, that would tie the tier 1s but she would still lack in the tier 2s (but if she does win Zurich that at least would shut Bandabou up and that would be really worth it).

So basically it's Justine, unless one of the other 3 slam winners wins the YEC.

About Davenport, Dementieva, Mauresmo, etc. no slams, no player of the year, an numeric system like the ranking can tell you the # 1 is a player who hasn't won a GS in the past year, but deciding the player of the year certainly should take the GSs in consideration, and a player without one should not even be considered.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Fingon...you talking to me?! :angel: ;)