PDA

View Full Version : Daniela won a title before Anna Kournikova!

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:51 AM
This just came to my attention.

Uh oh.. and wasn't Anna just talking about Daniela during Scottsdale about how she still has some experience to go thru or something? Oh don't get me wrong Anna is talented, but is this win by Dani a sign that Anna better also step it up and quick?

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Now the battle is on between Alex and Anna and Tammy, me thinks we need a new POLL.:)

LucasArg
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:53 AM
This is really surprising to me. If you asked me who was gonna win IW, I could said Dokic or Seles or Hingis, but I did not expext Hantuchova to win it.

But like Dokic won her first title ( tier I ROME), Daniela won her first title , and a tier I one too:D

SO, CONGRATS DANIELA, YOU DESERVE TO BE A TOP TEN PLAYER FOR A VERY LONG TIME:wavey:

Vanity
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:56 AM
LMAO, Anna was in Acapulco that week. Get your facts straight Dawn Maree :)

So glad Daniela won tho! :D

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Dawn, somehow I knew that you would not forget your secret fave, ANNA. :eek: :p

Dani is quite a bit ahead of ANNA at this time, but hopefully she and Alex will get a win this year as well. :cool:

juggler
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:59 AM
thanks for being so informative...i wasnt aware of that

but i would liked to hear anna's quotes from scottsdale, especially considering she wasnt there. that would be some achievement from anna.

at present anna leads daniela head to head 2-0

good on daniela for her win, she is one of my favourites, but this has little to do with anna, and bringing her into this is just being mischievous.

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:08 AM
The facts still remain that Daniela passed Alex and Anna with the quickness. Now come on this is surprising.. Daniela played great tennis. Not ragging on Anna or Alex at all.. they will be next, but wow Daniela surprised me.

apoet29
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Actually Anna and Martina were asked about Daniela's potential after they defeated Hantuchova/Sanchez-Vicario @ the Oz. Anna/Martina stated that Daniela had a lot of potential, but that is all she had at that time. I think Daniela has made a great start to fulfilling that potential by winning Indian Wells defeating two top ten players (Hingis and Henin) so decisively. I hope that Daniela will continue to develop her game and not buy into the hype that will probably start to surround her now!

I really don't know where Anna K fits into Daniela's win. This day belongs to Daniela and she should be allowed to enjoy it without references to this event being watered down (only 5 top ten players showed up Henin, Clijsters, Dokic, Hingis and Seles) or any one referring to Anna K's lack of tour titles. Kudos belong to Daniela on a fine victory and great start to the year! So far Daniela has won a mixed doubles title, made the finals in doubles and won a tier 1 event in her first final defeating former no. 1 Martina Hingis. Not bad for an 18 year old girl!

THE NET
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:19 AM
OH it's ANNA again!

Don't forget that Elena Dementieva hasn't won any tournaments yet!!!
Not even a doubles title!!!

Also my country's Tammy!!...She has won only 2 doubles with no singles'.

If I'm not wrong......KIM hasn't won any Tier 1 tournaments yet!!!

POOR KIMMY!!!

:o

Greenout
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
that CNN World Sport use to always mention Anna winning
a match and getting closer to that first title. NOW, they don't
even mention if she's playing because they're tired of getting
burned in tournament report. LOL.

veryborednow
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:30 AM
You get the feeling she may never do it.

Kinda like Pam S and her grand slam it'll be Anna and a tour title.

thefreedesigner
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
I still believe Anna K will win a title this year. Maybe I'm delusional - it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

Also, Daniela may be younger than Alex Stevenson and Anna Kournikova, but she's been around for a while too... I'm sure I was hearing of her back there in '99 (although she would have been 17). Daniela is older than both Jelena and Kim!

sartrista7
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Seems like a long time ago now that an in-form Kournikova at her highest ranking would beat an unknown Slovakian rookie named Daniela Hantuchova, not yet in the top 100, in r1 of Oz 2000... now look where they both are.

The race for the 1st title? Elena D, Tammy, Anna, Alex, Magui Serna, Nathalie Dechy, Lina, Nadia, Elena B...

I'm going with either Anna, Tammy or Alex. At a Wimbledon warm-up tournament.

Iconoclast
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Dokic: 12.04.83
Hantuchova: 23.04.83
Clijsters: 08.06.83

Yup, a few weeks older than Kim, but 11 days younger than Jelena!

Compared to those two, she has actually blossomed a little late.

Dokic was already frightening people on the senior tour in 1999. And so was Kim. Especially with their Wimbledon showings that year. And Clijsters in the US Open.

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:10 PM
I'm not a fan of Anna's but I wish she would just win a title already so all the announcers could just get over it lol... I'm starting to believe Anna is never going to win one though.... and a note to THE NET :

GET OVER IT!!

essielewis
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:18 PM
I don't know why anybody is "surprised" that Daniela won a tournament before Anna.:confused: Anna is never going to win a tournament, therefore EVERYBODY will win one before she does.:rolleyes:

Anna K. has given up on trying to win a tournament. She's just going to spend the next 10 years, entering tournaments as a wild card, losing in the first round and cashing her endorsement checks.:p Why should she bother doing anything else?

Shane54
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Daniela won a title before Anna....WOW! What an unbelievable accomplishment-one that will go down in history:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by essielewis

Anna K. has given up on trying to win a tournament. She's just going to spend the next 10 years, entering tournaments as a wild card, losing in the first round and cashing her endorsement checks.:p Why should she bother doing anything else?

I doubt that. Please remember that she is a solid player that suffered some injury and your comment is not fair. I am not a big Anna fan but she is not just Tits and a$$. Give the poor girl some credit.

Meesh
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:56 PM
I second what apoet29 posted! Congrats Daniela on a great victory!

auntie janie
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Apoet,
Daniela has TWO Mixed Doubles trophies-- Wimbledon 20001 and Australia 2002. :) :)

Aside from that, I agree with your post; I have no idea how Anna Kournikova's name has to come into any discussion of Daniela's fabulous win. :rolleyes:

It is FAR more interesting to speculate about how Daniela will handle being the new media darling of the WTA, as well as suddenly being the favorite in most matches, an adjustment Justine is struggling with right now. I think Daniela wil handle it well; best of luck to her! :D

Bright Red
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:30 PM
You must have seen something in Dani, Dawn. I didn't. *sigh* The game never ceases to amaze me.

KindaNice
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:46 PM
geez...it's always Anna, Anna, Anna...

I think I will win a Tier 1 event or any event before Anna does..

Dani seems to spend more time on her tennis. Not commercials, photo shoots, calendars, and music videos. Big difference.

tennisfreak
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Shane54
Daniela won a title before Anna....WOW! What an unbelievable accomplishment-one that will go down in history:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lol :D I thought the same ;)

oddkayla
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:15 PM
If Daniela does not win another tournament again, she would still not be among those that are yet to win one, with eons on tour!

I wish everybody would stop mentioning that Anna is coming off an injury. She came back in the fall for goodness sake! How many tournaments and exhibitions has she played? The coming off injury is more than old and worn out!

Jakeev
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Dawn I have not seen Anna play at all this year so heck I am not gonna comment.

But if I were to compare Daniela to Alex, I would say that the Slovak is still playing more consistently as of now.

I think Alex is ultimately much more powerful then a rather powerful Hantuchova is already. But Daniela's advantage right now is she is great footwork and mobility on court.

The was evident to me in the many times she wrong footed Martina yesterday.

Still, a very exciting time in the women's game.

Martian Martin
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:55 PM
I say so what if Daniela won a title before Anna!!. I was really pleased for Daniela winning, even though I wanted Marti to win, because over the last year it's been great seeing Daniela rise up the rankings. :). But so what if she won a title before Anna, as has been said there are plenty of players that haven't won a title so why aren't you saying about them?!!. You have to remember that Anna practically had a year out from tennis with her injuries last year, I don't think there is any doubt that had she steered clear of these injuries last year, she would have a title by now.

Deira
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Hi Jakeev honey :wavey:
Dani's forehand down the line was wicked and she must have hit it a gazillion times and Marti still wasn't ready for it. I still gotta see her play a powerhouse the quality of Venus (again) or Serena (well actually there's nobody like them ) :D or Jenn, before I am totally convinced she's all that and a bag of chips ;) Anna is out of Dani's league :hearts:

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Agree with my buddy Jakeev and my girlie Deira.. BUT I gotta say IMHO I think Daniela is the real deal. Venus and Serena need to scout this one.:)

Never trust an up'ncomer Slovankian teenager! LMAO:)

As far as Anna is concerned I think she will win a tourney this year.. I am just surprised and find it a good piece of tennis conversation that she did it before Anna.

Deira
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Hi Dawn :wavey: Now you know Venus and Serena already have the 4-1-1 on Dani. ;) :D

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:45 AM
LOL@Deira!:)

essielewis
Mar 18th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Daniela is the real deal, for sure. She also has the ambition to get to the top. I don't think the expectations will bother her a bit. Now that she's won a tier 1 event, she's probably brimming with confidence.:cool: And she should be. She beat some good players to get this win.:)

I have a feeling Venus and Serena are very aware of Daniela. They would be stupid not to be aware of her and I don't think they're stupid.:p Both girls will be ready for Daniela at Key Biscayne.

I read somewhere that Daniela will be #17 in the next ranking. I'm anxious to see the draw at Key Biscayne. It will be interesting to see who she plays. I don't think any of the top women will be happy to see Daniela's name in their quarter.

. . . she is not just Tits and a$$. Give the poor girl some credit.

Oh, please!!! Credit for what? Never having won a tournament?:rolleyes:

And that "Anna was injured" stuff has got to go. She's been playing all year in tournament after tournament and still hasn't won anything.:( What kind of "credit" would you like me to give her?:p

Light-skinned Girl
Mar 18th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Congratulations to Daniela from a loyal Anna Kournikova fan.

marshmellow
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Oh, please!!! Credit for what? Never having won a tournament?:rolleyes:

And that "Anna was injured" stuff has got to go. She's been playing all year in tournament after tournament and still hasn't won anything.:( What kind of "credit" would you like me to give her?:p

if you look at your recent post before the 'give her credit' remark, you'll see why that was posted...

'Anna K. has given up on trying to win a tournament. She's just going to spend the next 10 years, entering tournaments as a wild card, losing in the first round and cashing her endorsement checks. Why should she bother doing anything else?'

you think that anna's gonna hang around the tour for the rest of her career contented to go out in every first round of each tournament she plays :p

to say this is to completely dismiss anna's talent, work ethic and everything the girl has worked for (even if there's a lack of a single singles trophy there), and is still trying to attain... thus the 'credit' remark...

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Anna is not my favorite but I will say that she has game. She is a tough player and she will win a tournament. This year.. IMHO.

juggler
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:40 AM

ok i hereby declare that anyone who achieves a career high ranking of 8 in the world or lower has done nothing in the game of tennis

Jakeev
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Yo Deira!!!!:kiss: You meant Daniela's backhand right? I think she smacked 20 backhand winners that much, most of them down the line and out of Martina's reach.

I also agree Deira, next on the Slovak's list is that she is going to need to beat the powerhouses like you said.

But she has been close and I have got to believe winning such a big title has got to give her the confidence she is as good as the sisters, Jenn , Monica or a healthy Lindsay.

ajayares
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:43 AM

yeah.. why would she bother.. just like anyone else who plays the game, why do they bother???.. I mean she is such a bad player.. It can't say much for the other players who have been beaten by her.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But then again she loses in the first Rd at every tournament, so how could she have beaten anyone??
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: