PDA

View Full Version : Question about ranking points

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Vera Zvonareva had a bye at Zurich. Venus Williams did not.

Making the round-of-16 at a 32 players Tier I is worth 42 points, plus bonus.
Loisng your first match means you only get one point, regardless of if you have a bye or not.

So, if Venus and Vera both lose in the 16s, Venus gets 65 points (42 + Sprem) and Vera gets 1 point. Isn't that a little messed up?

Or am I reading the rules incorrectly?

*Karen*
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Serena and Jen have the same number of points. How do they decide who's ranked higher?

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Vera Zvonareva had a bye at Zurich. Venus Williams did not.

Making the round-of-16 at a 32 players Tier I is worth 42 points, plus bonus.
Loisng your first match means you only get one point, regardless of if you have a bye or not.

So, if Venus and Vera both lose in the 16s, Venus gets 65 points (42 + Sprem) and Vera gets 1 point. Isn't that a little messed up?

Or am I readin gthe rules incorrectly?
No it's not messed up cause Vera got a bye into the second round meaning she beat no one to get there. If she got points it would be even more messed up cause she could get 42 points for going out there and retiring after the first game of her R of 16 match. Would you want to lose your #1 ranking to someone who got a bye and didn't win a match?? The only tourney you can get more than one point for winning nothing is the YEC, but you had to have qualified for the YEC so the player actually DID accomplish something by making the 8 player field.

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Serena and Jen have the same number of points. How do they decide who's ranked higher?Serena leads in Porsche points 2596 to 2300.

Gogo123
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Serena and Jen have the same number of points. How do they decide who's ranked higher?
the player with the more number of tournaments played...in this case, jen

*Karen*
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM
They have Jen at 8 and Serena at 9. Jen has played 12 tournies, Serena 10. Jen has more qual points, whatever they are.

http://www.wtatour.com/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

AjdeNate!
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Jennifer.

1st tiebreak: quality points (Jen leads).
2nd tiebreak (if needed): # of events (Jen leads).
3rd tiebreak (if needed): alphabetical order (Jen leads). ;)

darrinbaker00
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Jennifer.

Alphabetical order? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!! ;)

AjdeNate!
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Dead serious. :lol:

WF4EVER
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM
As soon as I read it, I thought the same thing!

I'm sure my kids could come up with a better criteria.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:44 AM
As soon as I read it, I thought the same thing!

I'm sure my kids could come up with a better criteria.
3rd option: the player with fewer code violations over the past 52 weeks :lol: ;)

GoDominique
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Jennifer.

Actually the rules say that players who have same no. of quality points and tournament are TIED so they share the same ranking. But the players will be listed in alphabetical order. :)

The question is: will alphabetical order be considered when it's about tournament entry and seedings? :scared:

Marcus1979
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:16 AM
3rd option: the player with fewer code violations over the past 52 weeks :lol: ;)

Poor Jennifer,

She is only human u know. She thought the chair umpire was there to take her abuse to help relieve her stress.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mboyle
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM
The alphabetical order thing doesn't mean you would be ranked 9 and Abigal Adams 8. You would both be 8, but she would be listed first.