PDA

View Full Version : The pressure on Venus, Lindsay and Jen to catch up to Martina in Slam titles

Internet Lover
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:08 AM
If Martina wins the French then Venus will have to defend BOTH her Wimbledon and US Open titles AGAIN to tie Martina at 6 Slams each.

Lindsay and Jen have 3 each and no chance to do it this year.

Martina still leads them by 5. Monica is the overall leader with 9 but she hasn't won a slam since like 1996.

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:17 AM
How can Martina lead them by 5? Especially Venus because she only needs one slam with 3 to go to tie Hingis?

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Martina win Roland Garos?
She can't even take the Indian Wells title! :eek: :p

joao
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Internet lover.......i think you're the only one who really thinks that Venus and JCap are playing a little game of who's the first to catch up with Hingis!!!!! Nobody cares about Hingis GS anymore.......they're very very old story!:confused:

Nimi
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Martina win Roland Garos?
She can't even take the Indian Wells title! :eek: :p

true, true, but all-in-all Martinas the best on clay, but if she lost like that to a rookie....:o

Williams Rulez
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Venus should overtake Martina this year, hey Wimbledon and US Open is 2 more slams!

4+2 > 5

Hence, by the end of the year Venus will have more slams! ;) :D

And don't worry, Serena or Monica will win Roland Garros, so all the slams for the rest of the year are booked :p ;)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:13 AM
I highly doubt the players sit around and go "I have to catch up to Martina and Monica" in grand slams.

I mean seriously - who does that? :rolleyes:

And for those fans who will jump up and down when their fave passes Martina in slams - well I'll be sure to be there to hand you all a hero cookie and congratulate you on "your' accomplishment :cool:

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Becca this is a tennis message board for the FANS(US). You make it seem that we should not FEEL for our favorites or something. Now I will be perfectly happy when or IF Venus surpasses or ties Hingis in slam wins. I will FEEL that it is my accomplishement too because My fav did it.

I mean you make it seem like not one Hingis fans did not jump up and down when Hingis dominated in 97 and made it to the Oz final in 2002? Excuse me or us if I jump up and down when or If Venus overtakes Marti. And as for who does that? Well you got a PC camera? I'll show you who does that... when it happens.:) Get that cookie ready.. I prefer Chocolate chip myself.

Venus is on her way to 5 slams.. I hope. :cool:

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Oatmeal with raisins and pecans for me please, dear Becca. :p

Rollo
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some(or most) players think about it Becca-they got where they are because they're competitive:)
All have something to prove-especially in Paris.

disposablehero
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Internet Lover
Martina still leads them by 5. Monica is the overall leader with 9 but she hasn't won a slam since like 1996.

What kind of crap is that? Normally I defend Martina when people point out that she has gone over 3 years without a Slam. At Martina's current pace, she should overtake Monica's Slam total sometime around never.

Incidentally, Monica was Martina's age somwhere around June/July of 95. She had 8 Slams even though she hadn't played a match in over two years.

Rolling-Thunder
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:02 PM
:eek: Are you really serious? At the rate the Venus and Jennifer have been playing at the slams, I hardly think that Martina would take much comfort from the original post. When all things are said and done, unless Martina has a lucky draw (she hopes she draws Monica) and is able to avoid either Venus, Lindsay, Jennifer, and Serena, she won't be expecting to claim another slam title this year nor any time soon.

Her real hope and prayer (she needs a lot) is at the French where a good draw and some nice upsets will provide her with her only, and I mean only chance this year. Otherwise, come January 2003, the commentators will be saying poor Martina has not won a slam in what four years. But I guess we should say good luck. Just do you best 'Tina!

Blazedboy
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:27 PM
am I the only one who thinks Martina plays better on hardcourts than clay? I mean I don't think she is going to win a slam anytime soon, but I would say her best shot is Aus Open than MAYBE the US Open. She dosen't ever play her best on clay in my opinion.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Dwn I fully expect that Venus will ovetake Martina in singles slams - perhaps this year.

And I'll be happy to dole out the hero cookies to each and every individual who acts like a braggart and that they are better than fans of another player.

Its one thing to feel for your fave - its another to act like a total ass about it.

For the record - if and when I jump up and down and imply that I am somehow better than someone else because someone I will never know accomplished something - well then I wil also be happy to indulge in hero cookies

:cool:

Oizo
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:48 PM
I hope Jenny will win the GRAND-SLAM this year :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
And then she will be the leader, well after Monica ;)

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Becca so you finally see what we all see then right? That Internet Lover's thread makes a total ass out of itself? We all know that he was BRAGGING.. on Hingis's past achievments. All some fans of tennis did was to explain that Venus and Jennifer are the one's catching up to Hingis. LMAO

Now it seems to me that the thread starter was putting himself in Hingis's postition about winning slams and being ahead of the pack. So alot of people Becca.. DO DO THAT.

Obviously you don't care for fans of tennis bragging on what they can achieve in the future. Oh well that's on you. You lost me on the *who's better then who* stuff that you mentioned. All this is IS a tennis message board. Where people are going to BRAG on their favorites. Yes Becca their is and will continue to be GLOATING. Get use to it. I am so sure Becca you saw how some fans were talking How bad Hingis beat Seles and all that other stuff. Where was miss BUSYBODY.. Board Police at then? Now I am sure you probably already gave away about at least half dozen cookies. (TO YOUR OWN FAN BASE no less) I just hope you make/bake some more when or IF Venus ties up Hingis.

and when I see a thread like this again.. BRAGGING on Hingis and how many slams she has over the rest.. you can be sure I will mention that Venus only need 1 more to tie it up. Anyway nobody on the WTA can even hold a candle to Seles. Hmm maybe I should Brag about that.. and mention just how many MORE slams that Hingis needs to catch up with Monica(miss grunt).

Crazy Canuck
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:25 AM
In case you failed to read my previous post before replying - which appears to be the case, as usual - I achnolaged that Venus should likely pass Hingis in slam count this year.

Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ass either way. If she does, good for her. If Hingis wins more slams, good for her too.

I enjoy to watch tennis, and like the way certain players match up against each other. I have favourites, in that I enjoy to watch their game, but I dont' have favourites in that I always want them to win no matter what.

At US Open 2001, I wanted Iva to win that match. US Open 2000 I wanted Venus to win. Oz 2002 against Monica I was torn.

So I'm not sure what exactly my own fan base is suposed to be. I generally stay away from player forums, as I don't usually find them interesting - that and reading through some of them disgusted me at how hate plagued they were.

I can't recall the last time I went into the Marti Forum - ages ago. I'm sure I've posted in there a grand total of twice anyhow. I went into the Alex forum a few dyas ago though, so maybe I should send all people in the Alex forum cookies :confused: Is that my fan base? I wasn't aware that I had one, so now I'm having an identitly crisis.

I didn't actually interpret the initial post as bragging. His facts were wrong - but I thought it was just pointing out what the current singles slam count was. Though I'm a tad annoyed to see her left off Martina N off - I mean, its only fair, she's still active ;) Or Arantxa for that matter.

As for the bragging - I have things in my own life that I am proud of - I don't need to go on a tennis message board and feel good about myself by pointing out that Monica Seles is better than so and so, in as ignorant a manner as possible. Your entitled to do so all you'd like of course.

THough I continue to LMAO at you calling someone else a busy body :rolleyes: :p :D

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Okay Becca, but I do think you do care. It just seems that you can't stand it when Williams fans shout out and GLOAT on their favs achievments at times. When your own fanbase gloats and brags you don't pop in threads making comments.. BUT as soon as Williams fans do what alot of Hingis fans do you pop in you make hypocritical remarks. lately you been a messgage board buggaboo. I don't know and my opinons can be WRONG and if they are I aplologize but you get miffed when Williams fans get cocky. This thread is a prime example. You said nothing about the topic starter but as soon as we came in here with the otherside of the debate you wrote a snotty reply.

Oh well I guess we just disagree on this one Becca. Your still one of my favorite posters though. We just bump heads on this matter.:wavey: :)

Internet Lover
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Sorry it got a little crazy or what not but I was totally just raggin on the Martina haters and just thought kinda sorta that ppl would ignore me and stuff.

Sorry guys I was just pullin yer chain. This was a bunch of crap. Even I knew it friggin stupid but I was just raggin on the haters. Sorry I wasted your time and that I ragged on your fav's even if it was just a joke. :o