PDA

View Full Version : USA v.s RUSSIA

steve2005
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:33 PM
The biggest rivalry in womens tennis this year, if 4 of the top Americans played 4 of the top Russians who would win if every single one of them were on top form, the best they played all year.

no.1 USA v.s no.1 Russian
Davenport v.s Myskina 6:2, 7:6
If the FO(Myskina) champion played like she did then against the RED HOT SUMMER QUEEN (Lindsay Davenport) who would win, I think Davenport in 1 quick set but a tough 2nd.

no.2 USA v.s no.2 Russian
Capriati v.s Kuznetsova 3:6, 5:7
To be fair Capriati didnt reach her full potential this year, she missed BIG oppertunities to win 2 GS(FO and USO) while Kuznetsova reached her full potential by winning the USO and having an amazing year, theres no doubt in my mind that Kuznetsova would win in 2 sets.

no.3 USA v.s no.3 Russian
S.Williams v.s Dementieva 6:1, 4:6, 7:5
Williams and Dementieva have had mixed years, elena reached 2 GS final but lost in the 1r twice in the other GS, Serena has won Bejing and Miami, and reached the Final of Wimbledon and the Quarters of FO and USO, ill say Serena because i dont thibk she has performed badly once this year.

no.4 USA v.s no.4 Russian
V.Williams v.s Sharapova 7:6, 5:7 3:6
Williams has had the poorest year in GS terms, but had a good spell winnig back to back titles in Warsaw and Charlestone and reaching the final of Berlin, but Maria won Wimbledon beating Davenport and Williams, she also won Birmingham, which is on grass, so not losing once on grass is impressive, id go for Maria because she literally unstoppable on grass.
USA 2 RUSSIA 2

WHAT DO YOU THINK I THINK THE AMERICANS ARE BETTER AT THE MOMENT BUT IT WONT BE LONG TILL THE RUSSIANS TAKE OVER.

timray
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
young players rank:

1. SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA Russian
2. MARIA SHARAPOVA Russian
3. VERA ZVONAREVA Russian
4. KAROLINA SPREM
5. TATIANA GOLOVIN
6. JELENA JANKOVIC
7. GISELA DULKO
8. MARION BARTOLI
9. DINARA SAFINA Russian
10. BARBORA STRYCOVA
11. SAMANTHA STOSUR
12. ANNA-LENA GROENEFELD
13. VERA DOUCHEVINA Russian
14. MARTA DOMACHOWSKA
15. ANNA CHAKVETADZE Russian

Russians - 6
Americans - 0 :sad:

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:52 PM
The biggest rivalry in womens tennis this year, if 4 of the top Americans played 4 of the top Russians who would win if every single one of them were on top form, the best they played all year.

no.1 USA v.s no.1 Russian
Davenport v.s Myskina 6:2, 7:6
If the FO(Myskina) champion played like she did then against the RED HOT SUMMER QUEEN (Lindsay Davenport) who would win, I think Davenport in 1 quick set but a tough 2nd.

no.2 USA v.s no.2 Russian
Capriati v.s Kuznetsova 3:6, 5:7
To be fair Capriati didnt reach her full potential this year, she missed BIG oppertunities to win 2 GS(FO and USO) while Kuznetsova reached her full potential by winning the USO and having an amazing year, theres no doubt in my mind that Kuznetsova would win in 2 sets.

no.3 USA v.s no.3 Russian
S.Williams v.s Dementieva 6:1, 4:6, 7:5
Williams and Dementieva have had mixed years, elena reached 2 GS final but lost in the 1r twice in the other GS, Serena has won Bejing and Miami, and reached the Final of Wimbledon and the Quarters of FO and USO, ill say Serena because i dont thibk she has performed badly once this year.

no.4 USA v.s no.4 Russian
V.Williams v.s Sharapova 7:6, 5:7 3:6
Williams has had the poorest year in GS terms, but had a good spell winnig back to back titles in Warsaw and Charlestone and reaching the final of Berlin, but Maria won Wimbledon beating Davenport and Williams, she also won Birmingham, which is on grass, so not losing once on grass is impressive, id go for Maria because she literally unstoppable on grass.
USA 2 RUSSIA 2

WHAT DO YOU THINK I THINK THE AMERICANS ARE BETTER AT THE MOMENT BUT IT WONT BE LONG TILL THE RUSSIANS TAKE OVER. In actual matches they played this year:

Lindsay vs. Myskina:

Lindsay 6-1, 6-1 San Diego F
Lindsay 6-2, 6-4 Filderstadt SF
Myskina 6-4, 7-6 Moscow SF

2-1 to Lindsay

Capriati vs. Kuznetsova:

N/A

Serena vs. Dementieva:

Serena 6-1, 6-1 Miami F
Serena 6-3, 7-6 San Diego SF

2-0 to Serena

Venus vs. Sharapova:

Venus 7-5, 6-3 Hong Kong Exhibition

1-0 to Venus

Andrew.
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Davenport d. Myskina 6-2 6-4
Kuznetsova d. Capriati 6-1 6-3
Dementieva d. Serena 1-6 6-2 7-5
Venus d. Sharapova 6-2 3-6 7-5

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Davenport d. Myskina 6-2 6-4
Kuznetsova d. Capriati 6-1 6-3
Dementieva d. Serena 1-6 6-2 7-5
Venus d. Sharapova 6-2 3-6 7-5
Dementieva beat Serena?? You must be joking. :haha:

SJW
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Dementieva can't beat Serena lol...she gets thrashed a lot.

SJW
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
at their best:

Davenport is better than Myskina
Kuznetsova is better than Capriati
Serena is better than Dementieva
Venus is better than Sharapova

3-1 USA

Pengwin
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
If that happened I think Russia should cede Sharapova to play against Davenport, because Sharapova would lose against all of them, may as well lose against the best one.

If they did this then Myskina could beat Venus, Dementieva could beat Capriati and Kusnetsova could beat Serena

Davenport def. Sharapova 6-0 6-0 :devil:
Myskina def. Venus 6-4 7-5
Dementieva def. Capriati 6-4 4-6 6-4
Kusnetsova def. Serena 0-6 6-3 7-6

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:04 PM
If that happened I think Russia should cede Sharapova to play against Davenport, because Sharapova would lose against all of them, may as well lose against the best one.

If they did this then Myskina could beat Venus, Dementieva could beat Capriati and Kusnetsova could beat Serena

Myskina def. Venus 6-4 7-5
Dementieva def. Capriati 6-4 4-6 6-4
Kusnetsova def. Serena 0-6 6-3 7-6 Someone always has to go and change the rules.

Lemonskin.
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:05 PM
young players rank:

1. SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA Russian
2. MARIA SHARAPOVA Russian
3. VERA ZVONAREVA Russian
4. KAROLINA SPREM
5. TATIANA GOLOVIN
6. JELENA JANKOVIC
7. GISELA DULKO
8. MARION BARTOLI
9. DINARA SAFINA Russian
10. BARBORA STRYCOVA
11. SAMANTHA STOSUR
12. ANNA-LENA GROENEFELD
13. VERA DOUCHEVINA Russian
14. MARTA DOMACHOWSKA
15. ANNA CHAKVETADZE Russian

Russians - 6
Americans - 0 :sad:

This actually says a lot.

In 5 years time, when Lindsay, Jennifer, and the Williams sisters are all (likely) retired, there will be few or maybe even NO ( :eek: ) young Americans to take up the mantle. By then Myskina and Dementieva will be 28 and closer to retiring, but Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Zvonareva, Safina, Douchevina, Kirilenko and Chakvetadze will be there to keep the Russian's rolling.

igost
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:12 PM
core US players are better (at least on paper) than core Russian players
however, what US lack is the second wave which Russia has in abundance

there is something wrong with our tennis program - it hadn't produce any player of notice since forever

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
'The best they played all year'

I think Kuznetova and S. Williams both win easily, anyplace, anytime.

Davenport vs Myskina and Sharapova vs V. Williams I think are a matter of surface.

If it's clay, Myskina and V. Williams should win easily.

ReboundAce_ V. Williams
Clay_______ V. Williams
Grass______ Sharapova
Hardcourt__ V.Williams
Carpet_____ Sharapova

ReboundAce_ Davenport
Clay_______ Myskina
Grass______ Davenport
Hardcourt__ Davenport
Carpet_____ Myskina

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Why do people think Sharapova is better than Venus on grass, is it only for 2004?

MLF
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:28 PM

If it's clay, Myskina and V. Williams should win easily.

Grass -Sharapova

I'm surprised you take Maria over Venus on grass, even though Maria took the Wimbledon & Edgbaston titles. I think if Venus hadn't played so tight ( and the other thing! ) and come through against Sprem she would have done very well at Wimbledon this year.

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Why do people think Sharapova is better than Venus on grass, is it only for 2004?
Yeah this thread refers only to 2004.

saab95
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Surface: Decoturf
it'll show who is who in L.A.

But Momo can to spoil the party USA vs Russia.
Sorry, Venus.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Using this year performance as a measure and at their best!!!!!

Lindsay will beat all of them except on clay.

All those 4 russians will beat Venus on any surface.

All four russians will most likely beat all americans on clay.

Lindsay and Serena can beat all of them on hardcourts.

yukon145
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Kuznetsova is not better than Capriati. They have placed once, last year at Dubai, and Jenn won 6-2, 6-1. Yes it was last year and yes Kuznetsova has improved her game this year. But Dubai last year was i think Jenn's second tournment of the year after losing first round at the Aussie, so its safe to say Jenn was probally still pretty rusty. So a rusty Jenn beats Kuznetsova easily. So i don't understand how people could think Kuznetsova is better. So let's say they did play this year, i say Jenn wins in straight sets; one tough one the other easy. 7-6, 6-2.

Andrew.
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM
If Dementieva is playing her best, she really can beat Serena...

*Karen*
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I don't know. I think in all those matches it could go any way.

Davenport vs Myskina - both on top form right now, either could take it.
Kuzzie vs Cappy - youth vs experience. Jen normally beats someone like Sveta. Not being bias but would pick Jen to win.
Dementieva vs Serena - Lena's the type of player who will win against someone like Serena, but will lose to someone like Harkleroad (no offence, just trying to use someone not in top 100 as example). So again, is all about who plays better on the day. Her serve is bad, but with two slam finals she's doing something right.
Sharapova vs Venus - Both very similar games. I believe it could be a case of trying to outhit each other.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Using this year performance as a measure and at their best!!!!!

Lindsay will beat all of them except on clay.

All those 4 russians will beat Venus on any surface.

All four russians will most likely beat all americans on clay.

Lindsay and Serena can beat all of them on hardcourts.

:rolleyes:

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:36 PM
All those 4 russians will beat Venus on any surface.Based on this year? Well, that make a QUEENLINDSAY amount of sense.
Venus made three finals, winning two, on clay this year, one over Kuznetsova. The only other player of these eight to make TWO clay finals is Lindsay, and one of those was Strasbourg.All four russians will most likely beat all americans on clay.Of those eight players, the Americans made six finals, winning three. The Russians made three finals, winning one. (Note they could only have won two, max.) There was an American in every significant clay final except the French.

Apr 05 Amelia Island_ Davenport __ def Mauresmo
Apr 12 Charleston____ V Williams _ def Martinez
Apr 26 Warsaw________ V Williams _ def Kuznetsova
May 03 Berlin________ Mauresmo ___ def V Williams (w/o)
May 10 Rome__________ Mauresmo ___ def J.Capriati
May 17 Strasbourg____ Schaul _____ def Davenport
May 24 Roland Garros_ Myskina ____ def Dementieva

hotandspicey
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:48 PM
If Dementieva is playing her best, she really can beat Serena... The key phrase is at "their best". Serena's serve would eat Dementieva alive!!!! She wouldn't stand a chance.Dementieva at her best, has no serve. :devil:

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Elena D beating Serena?! Wow..whatīs gotten into Andrew? You canīt possibly think that someone with a serve THAT predictable and to Serenaīs best returning side can possibly beat her, do you?!

Elena D can work her magic during the rallies and can hold her own with serena....but you have got to get into rallying first...and I donīt think anybody with a serve that bad will get away with it consistently enough to beat Serena.

Lindsay def Myskina....too much firepower, but just a minor slip by Lindsay and it could get interesting.

Svetlana def Jen in three....Sveta can be wild at times and Jennifer loves to play those kinds of opponents, but I think Sveta when the match gets close, will be more tougher mentally.

Serena def Elena..not even gonna discuss this.

Venus def Maria...although Venus hasnīt beaten a top 10 player this year, Mariaīs only top 10 because of wimbledon...and the odds of the match being on grass arenīt that big.

LindsayRocks89
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:16 AM
If Dementieva is playing her best, she really can beat Serena...

not if Serena is playing her best

kodeRED
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:19 AM
The key phrase is at "their best". Serena's serve would eat Dementieva alive!!!! She wouldn't stand a chance.Dementieva at her best, has no serve. :devil:
yes their best... dementieva has days when she does not serve doubles and can even get a couple of aces...
her fight is way better than serena's and on their best days ... if both are playing at 100% elena wins..
elena has the intangibles and heart that serena does not have so even at 100% serena doesn't have heart...
elena wins!!!!

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Dementieva and hearts?! Hello!!!! Does a 1-5 record in finals this year alone, ring a bell?! and she doesnīt just lose, she gets BEATEN! Sets like 6-1 and 6-0.....

Knizzle
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:28 AM
yes their best... dementieva has days when she does not serve doubles and can even get a couple of aces...
her fight is way better than serena's and on their best days ... if both are playing at 100% elena wins..
elena has the intangibles and heart that serena does not have so even at 100% serena doesn't have heart...
elena wins!!!!You are crazy, NO ONE has more fight than Serena. Only person that comes close is her sister and Justine.

faboozadoo15
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:57 AM
You are crazy, NO ONE has more fight than Serena. Only person that comes close is her sister and Justine.
:rolleyes: no, dementieva doesn't fight... she just won 3 consecutive 3 set matches against top 10 players while nursing an injury at the us open. 2 consecutive matches that went to the third set tiebreak.... and with her serve... that's fighting and giving it all you've got.
the girl gets bagelled in a tier 3 final and then fights to the finish to try to avenge a 6-1 6-1 loss against a compatriot.

and venus hasn't fought very hard at all this year, justine sure, but venus, nope. she's lost in straight sets in all of her grand slams this year. that says something. matter of fact, all year, venus won only 2 sets against top 10 players at the time.

i know venus IS a great fighter, but let's please look at what's recent, and show elena some respect. it's not right to go out there, fight, and have your efforts ignored.

Diesel
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:30 AM
elena wins!!!!

:lol: :smash: :haha:

Stefwhit
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:54 AM
her fight is way better than serena's and on their best days ... if both are playing at 100% elena wins... elena has the intangibles and heart that serena does not have so even at 100% serena doesn't have heart... elena wins!!!!
That must be some really good chronic you're on- Top of the line, I'm sure. In your altered state I bet you think Steffi could have been a good player if only she would have learned to hit a better forehand... :wavey:

Look what i found in kodeRED's hidden thoughts:

- Patty Schynder should give Kim lessons on etiquette
- Dementieva should give LindZ some tips on improving her serve
- Sugiyama should show Serena how to survive in South Central
- Kuznetsova should give Maria lessons how to market oneself to heterosexual white men

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:15 PM
The last two majors were won by Russian TEENS. The Russians are young and hungry.
The Americans are older and their best results are probably in the past.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Serena is the same age as the two best Russians: Myskina and Dementieva, soooo...you mean their best has past too?!

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Serena is the same age as the two best Russians: Myskina and Dementieva, soooo...you mean their best has past too?!
That depends on when you reach the peak ;)
so No :p

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Myskina and Dementieva are both having the best years of their careers. By far.
Serena is having an off year. Davenport is the best American in 2004, and she won her last major in the '90's.

SJW
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM
:haha:

put it this way.

if you had to bet your house on a match between the Russians and the Americans at their best, i would only pick Kuznetsova to beat Capriati.

otherwise the Americans are still playing better week in week out than the Russians :shrug: and Dementieva a better fighter than Serena? love Alyona but that's laughable. maybe she's fought more times, but Serena rarely lets herself get down against players, never mind about those outside the top 50

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Dementieva reached two slam finals this year. Both Serena and Lena D. have been inconsistent, but this is the first year Lena has better results than Serena.
And Kuznetsova is just starting her career. Jennifer is finishing hers.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
lets look a bit further down ;)
(ages in ( )

top 20
1-Anastasia Myskina (23) vs Lindsay Davenport (28)
2-Svetlana Kuznetsova (19) vs Jennifer Capriati (28)
3-Elena Dementieva (23) vs Serena Williams (23)
4-Maria Sharapova (17) vs Venus Williams (24)
5-Vera Zvonareva (20) vs Amy Frazier (32)
6-Nadia Petrova (22) vs Lisa Raymond (31)
7-Elena Bovina (21) vs Chanda Rubin (28)
8-Elena Likhovtseva (29) vs Meghann Shaughnessy (25)
9-Dinara Safina (18) vs Mashon Washington (28)
10-Vera Douchevina (18) vs Jill Craybas (30)
11-Alina Jidkova (27) vs Laura Granville (23)
12-Tatiana Panova (28) vs Marissa Irvin (24)
13-Anna Chakvetadze (17) vs Lindsay Lee-Waters (27)
14-Eugenia Linetskaya (17) vs Shenay Perry (20)
15-Maria Kirilenko (17) vs Abigail Spears (23)
16-Lina Krasnoroutskaya (20) vs Ashley Harkleroad (19)
17-Galina Voskoboeva (19) vs Lilia Osterloh (26)
18-Lioudmila Skavronskaia (24) vs Jenny Hopkins (23)
19-Anastassia Rodionova (22) vs Kelly McCain (21)
20-Ekaterina Bychkova (19) vs Teryn Ashley (26)

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Myskina and Dementieva are both having the best years of their careers. By far.
Serena is having an off year. Davenport is the best American in 2004, and she won her last major in the '90's.

and whyīs Serena having an off year?! Exactly....because she has just returned from surgery. Nothing more, nothing less...

Bes years of their career...interesting. What 1 one major, and two other titles.....and 5 lost finals for the other?!

Even in her down year Serena easily matches that.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM
If you consider losing almost all your finals as having better results, than yeah...ELena had a better year than Serena...but to my count 2 titles is better than 1.

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Surgery plus plenty of distractions. Lena D. has never been more focused on tennis.
She wants to be world #1, and win majors. This year, she's moved forward.
We don't know if Serena will ever approach her 2002 and 2003 form again.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Surgery plus plenty of distractions. Lena D. has never been more focused on tennis.
She wants to be world #1, and win majors. This year, she's moved forward.
We don't know if Serena will ever approach her 2002 and 2003 form again.

From a groundstrokes department Elena has already peaked, so as long as she canīt find a way to improve her serve, then this is her plateau.

And Serena despite as you say not being focused on tennis and having lost whole titlist points at the Oz open, still is good enough to be ranked top 10 and being no.6 in the race...imagine if she focused.

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Maybe she can't focus the same as she used to. Serena looked good at Wimbledon against Capriati, but couldn't hold that form.
The Russians have depth. Nadia took out Justine at the US Open, Lena D. took out Mauresmo and Capriati, and Sveta took out Davenport.

deckham
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM
i think this is a great thread to make the americans sound better than the russians... which we know this year is not even close. The last 3 grand slams were all won by a russian and 2 of them were an all-russian final. That explains enough.... And also..... I like the way the thread goes to just the top 4... :lol: extend it past that and everyone knows russians dominate.

There is nothing I've seen this year that would make me think anyone but lindsay would be able to take the Russians down in a do or die match. Venus seems to be on form more now then a few months ago, so maybe venus and lindsay would win... but capriati and serena i would never bet on winning.

serena may be able to beat these 4 on any given day, but her lack of passion for the game now is the main reason why she won't beat them... all these russians have passion.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM
All I say is that Serena even this year has only lost two matches against those russians. Only once has a russian stopped her at a major....this year it wasnīt the russians that were the problem, it was Jennifer..

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Even just one month ago Serena took out Nadia, Vera and Sveta in order...Iīm not that worried about that.

hingis-seles
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Anyone remember Serena, the Russian Slayer in Beijing? :devil:

I think it's a toss-up and on any given day, any player could win said match-up. That's what makes the women's game so interesting these days. You just don't know who will win.

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
All I say is that Serena even this year has only lost two matches against those russians. Only once has a russian stopped her at a major....this year it wasnīt the russians that were the problem, it was Jennifer..
And Jennifer was taken out by Myskina and Dementieva. For the top players, the objective is to win majors.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:14 PM
And Jennifer was taken out by Myskina and Dementieva. For the top players, the objective is to win majors.

All about match-ups and who you get up to play...Jennifer seemingly only comes to play and wants to fight only when itīs Serena across the net...and thatīs it.

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:19 PM
When Serena and Venus were at their best, it wasn't about matchups.
They met in 5 of 6 finals. Justine and Kim met in 3 of 4.

It's about matchups when the players are evenly matched. And there are a lot of good Russians, all having career years in 2004.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:24 PM
When Serena and Venus were at their best, it wasn't about matchups.
They met in 5 of 6 finals. Justine and Kim met in 3 of 4.

It's about matchups when the players are evenly matched. And there are a lot of good Russians, all having career years in 2004.

This year obviously was for the russians....will it be the same next year?! Only time will tell...

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM
If any Russian wins the AO, it's a Russian slam.
Even if Sveta and the rest don't win it, they're young, and they're not going away.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:28 PM
If any Russian wins the AO, it's a Russian slam.
Even if Sveta and the rest don't win it, they're young, and they're not going away.

Iīm sure the rest doesnīt include Myskina and Dementieva, right?! Because if they can keep it up, it would be foolish to think the sisters, Kim and Justine are finished then.

Jenny.C.Fan
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Jen at her best would beat sveta,myskina dementieva and sharapova, as would all the americans at their best

DEETHELICK
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:56 PM
This is really hard. I think any of the americans at their best could overpower Nastya at her best, simply because they all hit it bigger than her.

Against Sveta, I think Lindsay could lose and maybe Venus. Jen and Serena would take her down IMO.

Serena is the favourite over Elena. However Elena at her best would use her big serve, so it might be more even as off the ground they are very very close.

Elena could take down Jen, Lindsay and maybe Venus too. But they could all take her down too.

Maria would only beat Lindsay IMO. And that isn't a guarantee either. And depends on surface.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Jen at her best would beat sveta,myskina dementieva and sharapova, as would all the americans at their best
jen's best was so long ago that its just a blip on the radar :p

Dementinator
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:15 PM
jen's best was so long ago that its just a blip on the radar :p

It was in fact so long ago that Paelentologists have described it being of signifcant interest!! :lol:

*kaz*
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
2 slam finals is also better than one. But they've both had pretty decent years. It's going to be the russians dominating from now on. They have all the youngsters. Most of the americans will never return to their best.

Marcus1979
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
2005 will be a good year.

the sisters fit
JHH and Clijsters fit
Davenport
and all the russians

2004 has been boring in the aspect that the top players have always been injured.

2005 we could see some dream matchups.

Hopefully

azmad_88
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM
Big Wins for RUSSIANs 2004

Myskina
def Capriati-DOha i think
def Venus - RO

Kuznetsova
def Davenport-US
def Henin Hardenne

Dementieva
def Mauresmo-RO
def Mauresmo-US
def Capriato- US

Petrova
def Serena-amelie
def heninhardenne-us

Sharapova
def Serena-wimbledon
def Davenprt-wimbledon

*kaz*
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM
I think it'll be competitive for the next 2 years. After that Jen, Lindsay, Venus, Momo may have retired, depending on age fitness etc but atleat half of them will have retired. Then it's just going to be russians, russians and more russians. I don't think any other country has any where near that amount of young players coming up.

Dolphin
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:08 PM
I think it'll be competitive for the next 2 years. After that Jen, Lindsay, Venus, Momo may have retired, depending on age fitness etc but atleat half of them will have retired. Then it's just going to be russians, russians and more russians. I don't think any other country has any where near that amount of young players coming up.

Czech Republic is the only one close to Russia right now, as far as young players go.

4 of these girls were in the junior top 10 at the same time last year. Could have been 5 if Strycova had stayed in juniors longer.

Name (Age)

Nicole Vaidisova (15)
Barbora Strycova (18)
Andrea Hlavackova (18)
Katerina Bohmova (18)
Veronika Chvojkova (17)
Iveta Benesova (21)
Daja Bedanova (21)
Lucie Safarova (17)
Nikola Frankova (16)
Eva Birnerova (20)

xan
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah?

And what was the result last time they met, again? Oh yes. davenport announced her retirement.

Stop dreaming.

tennnisfannn
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:23 PM
lets look a bit further down ;)
(ages in ( )

top 20
1-Anastasia Myskina (23) vs Lindsay Davenport (28)
2-Svetlana Kuznetsova (19) vs Jennifer Capriati (28)
3-Elena Dementieva (23) vs Serena Williams (23)
4-Maria Sharapova (17) vs Venus Williams (24)
5-Vera Zvonareva (20) vs Amy Frazier (32)
6-Nadia Petrova (22) vs Lisa Raymond (31)
7-Elena Bovina (21) vs Chanda Rubin (28)
8-Elena Likhovtseva (29) vs Meghann Shaughnessy (25)
9-Dinara Safina (18) vs Mashon Washington (28)
10-Vera Douchevina (18) vs Jill Craybas (30)
11-Alina Jidkova (27) vs Laura Granville (23)
12-Tatiana Panova (28) vs Marissa Irvin (24)
13-Anna Chakvetadze (17) vs Lindsay Lee-Waters (27)
14-Eugenia Linetskaya (17) vs Shenay Perry (20)
15-Maria Kirilenko (17) vs Abigail Spears (23)
16-Lina Krasnoroutskaya (20) vs Ashley Harkleroad (19)
17-Galina Voskoboeva (19) vs Lilia Osterloh (26)
18-Lioudmila Skavronskaia (24) vs Jenny Hopkins (23)
19-Anastassia Rodionova (22) vs Kelly McCain (21)
20-Ekaterina Bychkova (19) vs Teryn Ashley (26)From the above except for mixed results in the top 4, the Russians are light years ahead of the Americans.

ys
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM
All I say is that Serena even this year has only lost two matches against those russians.
Steffi also hasn't lost to a Russian since 1998..