PDA

View Full Version : Venus Spanks Sprem in Zurich

tennisIlove09
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Venus Spanks Sprem in Zurich
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/VenusMiami04FMullane.jpg
Photo By Fred Mullane By Tennis Week
10/20/2004

Venus Williams settled the score today. The seventh-seeded Williams crushed Croatia's Karolina Sprem, 6-2, 6-2, to avenge her Wimbledon loss and surge into the second round of the Swisscom Challenge in Zurich today.
The match was a rematch of Sprem's shocking 7-6(5), 7-6(6) second-round upset of Williams at Wimbledon in in a meeting marred by a scoring error committed by chair umpire Ted Watts in the second-set tiebreak.

This time, Williams, who was sporting a new shorter hairstyle and a large glittering ring on her left hand, dressed down Sprem with deep drives from the baseline. She broke Sprem's serve twice in each set to wrap up the win in 54 minutes. Williams will play either Tatiana Golovin or Ana Ivanovic in the second round.

The stunning setback to Sprem at Wimbledon marked Williams' earliest exit from a Grand Slam tournament since she fell from the second round of Wimbledon in 1997. It snapped her streak of four consecutive appearances in the Wimbledon final and marked the first time since Williams' 1999 quarterfinal loss to Steffi Graf that she succumbed to a woman other than sister Serena.

For more results, please visit the Swisscom Challenge (http://www.swisscom-challenge.com/) web site.

In other results, eighth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova beat American wild card Lisa Raymond, 6-4, 6-3; ninth-seeded Ai Sugiyama was a 6-2, 6-3 victor over Shinobu Asagoe in an all-Japanese meeting; Daniela Hantuchova defeated Vera Douchevina, 6-1, 6-4; Nathalie Dechy stopped Swiss wild card Timea Bacsinszky, 6-1, 6-4; Alicia Molik overcame Silvia Farina Elia, 6-1, 7-6(5); Paola Suarez edged Jelena Kostanic, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4; and Fabiola Zuluaga handled Mary Pierce, 6-3, 6-2.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I love you Venus, great job babygirl! :kiss:

bmxbandit
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I want Venus to spank me :)

Paneru
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM
You're not the only one! :drool:

Jaime Bahena
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM

I want to spank Venus, in front of Serena!!

DUNEMAN
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM
You're not the only one! :drool:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, Venus is giving out spankings? I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant one, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:16 PM
'large glittering ring on her left hand'?

RVD
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:33 PM
WAY TO GO VEE!! :bounce:
Making that slow and easy come-back to form. :)
The dynasty awaits! :cool: :kiss:

Venus Forever
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
How come none of these articles have any quotes from Venus??

I WANT SOME QUOTES!!!!

AjdeNate!
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:05 PM
"The Wimbledon match wasn't on my mind at all," Williams insisted afterwards. "I just see that game as a one in a million kind of thing. It's ancient history."

"I don't think she necessarily played her best today, but she's a very good player," said Williams.

"My game was nice. I was serving well, returning well, just an all-around good game. A lot of pace. That's one of my strengths, to use my pace and power to dictate."

Kart
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
'large glittering ring on her left hand'? Is that the sound of your heart breaking I hear Volcana ? :p

faboozadoo15
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:44 AM
nice win v!!! good quotes too, so nice ;)