PDA

View Full Version : The REAL top ten

Volcana
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM
01 Emmanuelle Gagliardi .... :)

Seriously, I really don't know. Daniela looked good taking out Henin and Hingis. But Schiavone took out Clijsters and Seles in Hopman Cup, and I thought she was ready for a great year. Nothing so far. If this one tournament were everything, I'd have to rate Daniela above Hingis, Seles, Henin and anyone I ranked below those three. Fortunately, there's more to tennis than what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. Unfortunately, it doesn't shed much light on the subject.

Serena's healthy and just won Scottsdale, beating Jenn and Martina. But can you put a player #1 who hasn't won a GS in over two years? Well yes, actually, but throw in her allergy to playing her sister ....

Jenn just lost to Serena

Venus hasn't played in a while. And she's had a lot of injuries this year. And Jenn and Serena see her as THE obstcale between them and ending the year ranked #1. Definitely the hunted.

Lindsay, rumor has it, may not be back til the USopen.

Kim is, if not still injured, certainly not back in form.

Jelena IS still injured, and probably needs to sit it out for a while.

Amelie is MIA taking of IW and KB to be sure she's ready for clay season (Thank you Ted). She'll be healthy and in condition when she returns. Her timing may be a little off.

I guess I'd put Serena somewhere in the top four and choose names at random for the other spots. Couldn't do any worse than I'm doing trying to work it out. I'll try again in two weeks.

Scotso
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:10 AM
I agree ;)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Volcana:

Amelie isn't MIA. She stated last year that she thinks playing too much on the American hardcourts is bad for her body, which is why she doesn't play IW and Key Biscayne. She'll play one or two of the summer hardcourts + the US Open, but save her body for the easier (on the body) surfaces.

Considering her history of injury, I don't blame her. Frankly, I wish IW and Key Biscayne could be converted to green clay so there could be an entire green clay season, since this might make *everybody* less injury-prone, but it's never going to happen. :(

--Ted

LucasArg
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:29 AM
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

-Sonic-
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:31 PM
:hearts: green clay :hearts:

:fiery: no green clay :fiery:

veronica
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:53 PM
for Daniela. If she is to be a real threat now then she will go far in this tournament regardless of who she draws. Well a loss to Jennifer, Venus or Serena might be acceptable. LOL!

I would expect her to take out Hingis, Monica, Justine or Kim though. Her game looked that good.

Like Hingis stated in her post match interview:

"Once you make it to the top, there's another kind of pressure," said Hingis, who ascended to the top of the rankings at age 16. "She did great at this tournament. Now it's about making another step, proving it next week or over the next few weeks."

Volcana
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Ted of Ted - Thanks for the tip, I've made changes to the first post reflecting that.