PDA

View Full Version : Players who always seem to be called by their last names?

Doraemon
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Maybe they are not so personable or something. But I noticed some players are more often than not called by their last names.
Elena L is one example although I'm too dumb to bother spelling her last name. I know there are many other Elenas but while Elena Dmentoirs always seems to be called Elena and so does Elena Bovin, Elena L seems a bit off the coast.
I dunno why ppl call Nicole Pratt Pratty cuz her first name is quite easy to spell and common. maybe Her face and play style sound suited to Pratty.

Lemonskin.
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
"Pratty" is what her mates in Australia would call her :D

Chunchun
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM
:silly:

azmad_88
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:36 PM
all the russians basically
because their front namess are almost the same
elena dementieva
elena bovina
elena likhovtseva
so i am pretty sure they will prefer to call their last names..

azza
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Williams

azmad_88
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:47 PM
azza long time i didnt see u

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
It kind of the standard in sportwriting to call athletes by their last names. Actually, it's the standard for most writing.

Personally, I call most of the players by their last names because a) most of their last names are unique, and b) I pretty much only call people I'm personally acquainted with by their first names.

Although it seems to me that people call the players by their FIRST names a lot. To me it feels like a kind of false intimacy to call players by their first names. The Williams sisters get a bit of a pass because 'Williams' is one of the five most common last names in the English language. To differentiate them, you HAVE to use their first names. The same issue came up with Mary Jo and Gigi Fernandez.

Also, the Williams sisters both pass my 'non-tennis' rule. If I use the players first name to somebody totally disinterested in tennis and they know who I'm talking about, the player sufficiently well-known by their first name that I'm comfortable with it.

But ever since they started trying to confer false-celebrity on models by calling them all by their first names, I've been kind of uncomfortable with the practice.

*Karen*
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:43 PM
There's like 20 Elena's. So because Dementieva is the best Elena, she's the only one that gets called by her first name.

Pamela Shriver
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I'm only ever known as PAM or the Pamster. Or simply 'the one who carried Martina' Achem.

Doraemon
Dec 20th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Bump

soos n the sis
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM
I use the first name only with american players. Jen, Serena, Venus, Andy, Andre....
I know... little dumb american, but that's what I'm used to.

tennisjunky
Dec 20th, 2004, 09:07 PM
players who seem to usually be refered to by their last name: Bovina, Likhotseva, Myskina, Seles, Graf, Sabatinni, Clijsters, Hingis, and Mauresmo

players who seem to generally be refered to by just their first name: Justine, Elena (Dementieva), Serena, Jennifer, Chanda, Patty, Paola, Venus, and Conchita

players that tend to be called by both their first and last names: Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, Amy Frazier, Ai Sugiyama, Alicia Molik, Karolina Sprem, Natalie Dechy, Emeilie Loit

jrm
Dec 20th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I hate it!!! Even in school i despised teachers calling me by my surename - so impersonal!

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Pretty much everyone is called by their last names except for Serena and Venus, and really, that's only because they share a last name....well and they're so popular.

PointBlank
Dec 21st, 2004, 12:21 AM
Smashnova. Mauresmo. All Elenas.