View Full Version : Mauresmo Out Of Zurich

AjdeNate!
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Replaced by LL-Emilie Loit.
Get well soon Momo. :hug:

azmad_88
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:48 AM
so technically
dementieva is now the highest seed left?
and this is tier 1?
wow
who we have now
dementieva
sharapova
zvonareva
williams?

Elldee
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM
MAURESMO CAUTIOUS OVER COMEBACK
Click here for latest tennis results
http://www.sportinglife.com/pictures/general/allsportmauresmous04rd1.jpg

Amelie Mauresmo is set to adopt a low-risk strategy as she returns to fitness following a thigh injury.

The Frenchwoman became world number one for the first time in September but did not hold the position for long, as injury forced her out of the Moscow tournament last week as well as upcoming events in Zurich and Linz.

However, her coach Loic Courteau is optimistic the 25-year-old will recover in time to play again this year.

"The medical examinations do not reveal anything serious," Courteau said.

"The two objectives are the Masters (November 8-14) and the Fed Cup (December 22-28) and it would be a shame to take risks now."

American Lindsay Davenport, who trailed Mauresmo by 15 points in the WTA rankings, has taken advantage of her rival's absence by overtaking her and seems set to finish the year at the top.

--------------------------------------

At least Lindsay keeps her number one spot!

I'd like Vera to win here... she deserves it.

Loit is french, oui? so that'll make Amelie happier.

Foot's Fingers
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:09 AM
very week draw now

Agree with Grand Slam

Would like Vera to win

azmad_88
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Dementieva vs Vera Finals!!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I don't like when these top players pull out at the last minute, they ruin draws. And I'm not just saying Momo, they almost all do it.

lindsayno1
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
yeah but if shes injured shes injured. serenas injured and lindsays got the flu

Mariangelina
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM
The thing is, no one ever wants to pull out of a tournament unless they have some strange and unusual reason to. If they realise they're nowhere near ready to play four days before, then the draw won't get messed up when they pull out. But when they're not sure whether they'll be okay to play or not, they veer towards the optimistic and try to make a decision at the last minute- and if they decide they're not quite ready, the draw gets messed up. It must annoy the draw organisers (and this particular draw now has more holes in it than its country's best-known cheese) but I don't think you can really blame the players.

Poor Amélie. :sad: You can't help but wonder what those idiots who said she was faking are thinking now that she's missing three tournaments. I suspect she'll add Philadelphia to her schedule now; it wouldn't be smart to play the YEC after not playing for a few weeks.

chris whiteside
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM
This can no longer be regarded as a genuine Tier I tournament for this year.

lindsayno1
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM
hell no!

crazillo
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:45 AM
The winner of Maleeva/Schnyder should go far now!!

jonny84
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Just hope that Amelie will be there for the YEC.

Think about it: if Lindsay withdraws with Serena, and there is no Momo + no Kim or Justine - it will look weak!

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Momo's still faking. She's incorrigible.

(Sarcasm warning.)

Pinky
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM
This can no longer be regarded as a genuine Tier I tournament for this year.

The worse is that the tournament had basically the best Tier I entry list of the year only a few weeks ago :sad:

vettipooh
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM
The worse is that the tournament had basically the best Tier I entry list of the year only a few weeks ago :sad:Now its a tier 1 with tier 11 players......only 2 top 10 remain. Sharapova and Dementieva!!!!!

!<blocparty>!
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
unlucky MoMo. so many withdrawals :(

switz
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM
bad luck for amelie bad i pray patty can take advantage of this huge opportunity.

Junex
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I hope this time Elena can win this tier 1 title! (masha of course is fine too)

I wonder why didn't Nastya play in Zurich.

She could have made it back-to-back tier 1 titles, since all the players left in the draw are beatable by her standards.

Plus she could have a bigger shot at becoming YE #1.

If only she played here, then the YE#1 ranking could have been to close to call since its gonna be a 3-way fight.

Shenanigans
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Get well soon momo, hopefully she will be back for the YEC.

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry that Amelie is injured, but if she had withdrawn earlier, Venus probably would have had a first round bye.

Shenanigans
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry that Amelie is injured, but if she had withdrawn earlier, Venus probably would have had a first round bye.

:rolleyes:

switz
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM

like another well known player she probably wanted to give herself the best chance to actually play.

venus really needs good wins not byes right now IMO

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:24 PM
like another well known player she probably wanted to give herself the best chance to actually play.

venus really needs good wins not byes right now IMO

IF it's Serena you're sepaking of, she withdrew before play started.:rolleyes:

Linnie
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Momo :sad: but not surprising....

She'll most likely play Philadelphia, and I wouldn't be shocked if she decided to play Linz.

Get well soon :)

rabbit_boi_313
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Plzzzzzzz lena D :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Winnnnnnnn this tourney :toothy:
I know you can do it :yeah:

Sonja
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'm sure she was hoping to make a go of it here. She could have taken No. 1 back if she'd done well. I think she probably waited, hoping it would get better, so she could play. I'm glad that she withdrew. Not a smart move to play injured and risk getting hurt worse.

When players pull out at the last minute it is disappointing but that's the way the ball bounces. I just want them all to look out for their health and stay longer on the tour, rather than risk career ending injury from playing before they are ready.

switz
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:56 PM
IF it's Serena you're sepaking of, she withdrew before play started.:rolleyes:

so, you don't know how amelie's injury she is. she obviously wanted to play and expected to be able to but couldn't in the end.

as i said venus doesn't need or deserve a bye. i want her to beat spre,

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:21 PM
so, you don't know how amelie's injury she is. she obviously wanted to play and expected to be able to but couldn't in the end.

as i said venus doesn't need or deserve a bye. i want her to beat spre,
Well, you may be getting your wish. Venus is leading 6-2, 2-1(with a break of serve).:)

MinnyGophers
Oct 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
poor Momo... recover well my girl, you deserve the rest.
At least Lindsay is out too, so she won't get too much ahead of Momo ( lol I really want those two to be rivals for number 1, battle it out girls, don't just sit and wait for the other to get injured or sick)

I also agree with Venus not needing nor deserving a bye.
First of all, she hasn't played all that great, and second of all, she needs to earn those wins to improve her psyche

KV
Oct 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Shame

p1
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Sad to hear

Lapin
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Possibly Venus enjoyed beating Karolina more than she would have enjoyed having a first round bye?! :devil:

PLEASE GET WELL SOON AMELIE!! :hug:

Daniel
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:21 AM
Get well Mauresmo :)