PDA

View Full Version : Shocking news - Jelena Dokic back home with her family?

Joana
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
There's a big story in Serbian newspapers about Jelena. According to them, she is back home in Serbia. For the first time she has visited her family's country estate in Vrdnik where she should rest until the end of the year. She also came to her tennis club Partizan in Belgrade. She won't play again this season, she will spend some time with her family and start practising later this year.

:eek:
I really hope this is true.

Gowza
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM
as much as i think damir is bad for jelena, he is also good in a way and i think she needs her family.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:53 AM
So, did she go back on her own or finally succumb to her father's threats?

Wojtek
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM
I hope she will back next year.

©@®eLess
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
That's true
http://www.novosti.co.yu/vest.php?vest=33360&rubrika=Sport

don't have time to translate...

She won't be going to Australia next year. She wants to get back to top 15, and play more doubles, the reporter says she looked very happy, and that she will train with Damir. She didn't want to talk about last two years, cause she said she will put that behind, and just look forward...

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I hope she trains hard for the start of 2005. Come on back Jelena! :wavey:

vutt
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Good news I guess!
I only hope skipping OZ again is more due to resting more and not about Damir's views.

Veritas
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM
If this 'reunion' means that Jelena will drive herself back to the top end of the Tour, then I guess this is 'good' news. But I wish she would've held out a bit longer. I reckon it is still possible for her to find a coach she is really suited with to hone and improve her game. Damir hasn't shown any signs of maturing and judging by the tactless comments he made about his very own daughter, I doubt he and Jelena have really 'reconciled'.

blablabla
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM
If this 'reunion' means that Jelena will drive herself back to the top end of the Tour, then I guess this is 'good' news. But I wish she would've held out a bit longer. I reckon it is still possible for her to find a coach she is really suited with to hone and improve her game. Damir hasn't shown any signs of maturing and judging by the tactless comments he made about his very own daughter, I doubt he and Jelena have really 'reconciled'.
how much longer and how many more coaches ? until she's 30 ? what nonsense.

true that damir should attempt to be a bit more PR friendly and PC when dealing with the media who thrive on spin and creating controversy.

good news this.

Veritas
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM
how much longer and how many more coaches ? until she's 30 ? what nonsense.

Of course we do not know. It could have taken a decade, a few years or even just a few months. Damir is not the only coach who can bring Jelena to the top end of the Tour.

true that damir should attempt to be a bit more PR friendly and PC when dealing with the media who thrive on spin and creating controversy.

So I suppose the scuffle with Wimbledon officials and the outbreak of the 'Salmon dispute' at the U.S. Open happened only because the media were 'spinning' and 'creating' controversy?

Evelyn Tremble
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
It’s dire when news of a get-together or a reunion with your family is titled as ‘Shocking’.

blablabla
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM
my translation from Novosti.

JELENA RETURNS HOME

The former world number 4 has returned to Serbia.

The reporter from "Sport" found the family to be all smiles when he visisted them at the the Dokic ranch in Fruška Gora (http://www.fruskagora-natl-park.co.yu/) for his "exclusive".

Jelena prefers not to discuss events that happened in her life these last couple of years. She's leaving that behind her and is turning over a new leaf and looking to the future instead of dwelling on the past.

- I consider this to be the right decision. I've returned home and that's my personal decision. As far as my tennis is concerned this will help me a great deal. My private life needs to be sorted out in order for me to be able to compete and achieve good results. I will be working with my dad and we have already drawn up a plan - says the blonde beauty.

She achieved major successes under the tutelage of her father. At 15 she was the world junior champion. A year later she went down in history for beating Hingis in the first round of Wimbledon. The following years could be viewed as her golden era with 5 WTA titles.

Now the 21 year old finds herself languishing in 105th place but she has plenty of time to return to her winning ways.

- Basically I'm starting from scratch. I first have to take care of some health issues (dental and tonsils). My first tournament is 2-3 months away so I have plenty of time to prepare. I haven't trained properly in a while and am nowhere near what I used to be. Initially I will work on my physical preparation. In all likelihood the training will take place in Belgrade - explains Jelena.

- We have looked over everything. What happened happened. She decided that it's its best to be with her family. She has already proved that she is a great player but then was hit by a crisis. It's time to mend the fences and for her to return to her former ranking - says Damir Dokic.

Since leaving Australia to return to Serbia in 2001 she hasn't participated in the first Grand Slam of the season.

- I won't be playing in Australia next year either. The plan is to return to the top 15 in 2005 and play as much doubles as possible - confirms Jelena.

blablabla
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
So I suppose the scuffle with Wimbledon officials and the outbreak of the 'Salmon dispute' at the U.S. Open happened only because the media were 'spinning' and 'creating' controversy?
Looks like Australian historians have named this:

"The Great Salmon dispute of 1999"

:lol: