PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay to play until March of next year including Australian Open.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Back atop rankings, Davenport plans to play Australian OpenBy HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer
October 18, 2004

Back at No. 1, Lindsay Davenport (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/93/) is putting retirement on hold and plans to play in next year's Australian Open.

Davenport officially moved atop the WTA Tour computer rankings for the sixth time Monday and said she tentatively has worked out a 2005 schedule through March.

The three-time Grand Slam tournament champion, who's 28, said at Wimbledon that she thought this would be her final season. But a strong summer, including four straight titles and a 22-match winning streak, convinced Davenport that she can still contend.

``I was interested to hear that actually no player has retired at No. 1, but I don't think that's going to matter at all,'' Davenport said in a conference call from her hometown of Laguna Beach, Calif.

``I feel like I play for the opportunity and the chance to win Grand Slams. I had two chances this year at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open,'' she added. ``I'm looking forward to going to Australia and trying to win again, and that's definitely the way I'm headed right now.''

Davenport moved up one place to overtake Amelie Mauresmo (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/166/), who spent about a month at the top. The Frenchwoman was just the second player to reach No. 1 in the WTA rankings without winning a major.

Davenport first led the rankings in October 1998, then had brief stays in 1999 and 2000, last holding the spot in January 2002. She leads the tour in match victories this season with a 61-8 record and in titles with seven.

She wasn't able to add to her major titles (1998 U.S. Open, 1999 Wimbledon, 2000 Australian Open), but Davenport did reach the semifinals at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon this season, eliminated by the eventual champion each time.

At Flushing Meadows, Davenport lost to Svetlana Kuznetsova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/151/) in three sets, hampered by a left hip injury.

``I feel like it was bad luck at the U.S. Open. That's one of the reasons why I think I've been able to be so successful and so consistent this year and get to No. 1 -- I've been pretty healthy,'' she said. ``I was pretty disappointed after the U.S. Open. I feel like after a couple of years I've gotten my game back and my confidence back.''

Mauresmo is second, followed by three Russians: French Open champion Anastasia Myskina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/101/), Kuznetsova, and two-time major runner-up Elena Dementieva (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/89/). Justine Henin-Hardenne (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/319/), No. 1 until Mauresmo replaced her Sept. 13, tumbled from No. 3 to No. 6. Updated

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
GO LINDSAY!!!!!!! Make 2005 your last year with a BANG!!!!!

GermanBoy
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Please the whole year... :worship: :worship: :worship:

PatM04
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Where does it say March of next year?

PatM04
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM
OH never mind...I see it :)

Andrew.
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I think we'll see her after March. She's probably just commited to things up to that point.

~SunFlower~
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Good news! :yeah: :bounce:

Elldee
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Lindsay's putting a lot of pressure on herself at the Australian Open but I am so glad she's coming back and I hope she exceeds her expectations!

Kelly
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
woohoo!!!

go on lindsay play wimbledon...you know you want too!!

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Do you thinbk if she give much effort for RG she could contend with those russians. Well its on clay and russians always do best there.

I think its a very good opportunity for her to have her last hurrah in RG as a champion!!!! that would be awesome!!!!

Andrew.
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Do you thinbk if she give much effort for RG she could contend with those russians. Well its on clay and russians always do best there.

I think its a very good opportunity for her to have her last hurrah in RG as a champion!!!! that would be awesome!!!!
I think she's probably going to skip RG next year, then continue with the year at Eastbourne.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I think she's probably going to skip RG next year, then continue with the year at Eastbourne.
It depends on how she performed in AO. If she wins it, she defenitely should try RG again for the last time. While US Open I believed should be her last schedule.

Pengwin
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I hope she keeps playing until her number 1 ranking drops off, it'd be such a shame for the world number 1 to retire

Elldee
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I'm a bit dumb, what surface is the AO on? and is clay a slow surface? Thanks!

Andrew.
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM
It depends on how she performed in AO. If she wins it, she defenitely should try RG again for the last time. While US Open I believed should be her last schedule.
I seriously think RG is pointless for her. She's gotten injured there the last three years she's played there.

Andrew.
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm a bit dumb, what surface is the AO on? and is clay a slow surface? Thanks!
Rebound Ace. Clay is slower.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I seriously think RG is pointless for her. She's gotten injured there the last three years she's played there.
Mary Pierce does it!!!! and Lindsay do it all better than mary so I think she can at her best!!!!!even if its a slow surface, though I admit it, her chances are slim because of the russians.

Elldee
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM
I don't see why Lindsay, if she continues through to RG, shouldn't play. She does reasonably well usually. It's so funny that in 2000 she won the australian and was a finalist and wimbledon and the US but lost in the first round of RG.

If Lindsay retired as number one all the players would move up a spot and love her!

JLDementieva
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM
YAY Lindsay!!! You definitely got one GS more in you!!!!

LindsayRocks89
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:23 PM
well this is great news, i don't think she would retire mid year, so i see Lindsay playing all of next year, and i honestly think the reason she isn't retiring is because she wants to win another grandslam so badly, and she has the self belief that she can do it again, i know she can, and she now knows again that she can too, Lets go Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

!<blocparty>!
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah, she hasnt said she'll stop in march, she'll carry on, hopefully. Does anyone know how far ahead players schedule? :o I mean are there players on the list for tournies after march?

Andrew.
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah, she hasnt said she'll stop in march, she'll carry on, hopefully. Does anyone know how far ahead players schedule? :o I mean are there players on the list for tournies after march?
Players usually won't commit to tournaments more than four months in advance.

!<blocparty>!
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:42 PM
:cool: thanks :wavey:

I feel Lindsay really needs to win the Aus for some reason. Then maybe have a stab @ RG, and Wimby!

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:53 PM
i will SO cry if she doesnt do wimbly. I know the retirements coming, but im gonna be so devastated!

Crazy_Fool
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:58 PM
good news but i hope she plays the whole year

pcrtennis
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Everytime she loses there's always "bad luck" or an injury....honestly I was looking forward to her retirement...

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM
shes only had 2 big loses this year and that WAS due to injury first time and then flu!

Elldee
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM
I'd say Wimbledon was a big loss too.

I think that this proves Lindsay does still have hunger for the sport and how much she loves tennis.

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:44 PM
oh yeah! i forgot about that!!! *is selfish now* but if lindsay hadnt have lost that match, i wudnt have met her!

fammmmedspin
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM
You have to look at when she could go health willing, pregnancy or something like that allowing.

Would there be any sense in going after the 2004 YEC if she made year ending number 1 and/or won the YEC? Yes

If she is playing the australian she might want toadd another GS but is it credible she would then drop out before wimbledon? End in australia? very odd.

If she stays till wimbledon would it make any sense not to say farewell to the californian tournaments and then the USO.

Bottom line, the end of this year might be the nost dramatic time but if she plays next year, hasn't set an arbitary deadline and stays healthy why would she give up before the USO? She can't go when she loses number 1 so she may as well say goodbye at a big US tournament.

lindsayno1
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:29 AM
i reckon if her knee holds out, so will she!

Daniel
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM
good news :)

!<blocparty>!
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I'd say Wimbledon was a big loss too.

I think that this proves Lindsay does still have hunger for the sport and how much she loves tennis.

yeah, wimbledon was a HUGE loss. :mad:

lindsayno1
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:37 AM
she didnt look too bad the next day when i saw her! she was on court *thinks* 3, just behind court 1 and she kept watching the score whilst she was training. Poor gal

jonny84
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I think that her schedule will look something like this until March:

SYDNEY
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
TOKYO INDOORS
INDIAN WELLS
MIAMI

Lemonskin.
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM
YAY!!!

Lindsay to win 2 slame next year, Australian and US Opens :D

(French and Wimbly are Maria's ;) )

bis2806
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I hope she's playing till end of 2005 at least though...

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I think that her schedule will look something like this until March:

SYDNEY
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
TOKYO INDOORS
INDIAN WELLS
MIAMI
She wont play Miami, She always got injured there.

lindsayno1
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I hope she's playing till end of 2005 at least though...

shes already said she definately wont be playing 2006

Fantastic
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
What are the chances that Lindsay will get knocked up during the Christmas holidays?

Chriskip
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I just think that for her own sake Lindsay has every right to be so focussed on the Aussie Open. Now that she is top ranked (and barring "home favourite" Aussie Kim taking the top seed) she should be also seeded #1 there. Now with all her complaining about being cheated out of her rightful ranking spot this year, she had better live up to her rank and win the Open, or else she will be the butt of all those talks about being #1 ranked without a Slam.

I honestly think, in the last few years, she has a mental problem when she gets far in Slams. She has no problem winning other tourneys. In fact she even commented on her being mostly a 1/4 finalist.

Elldee
Oct 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
What are the chances that Lindsay will get knocked up during the Christmas holidays?

None. She'll be sensible and use birth control until she is ready for kids. :angel:

Lindsay's not superstious, she won't not play Miami because she always gets injured.

gRaFiC
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:25 AM
I've never been too fussed by lindsay especially after she beat steffi wimby 99. :sobbing: But for me her talk of retirement makes me sad so I will definitely see her play at the aus open.

None. She'll be sensible and use birth control until she is ready for kids.

Can we please not talk about lindsay and birth control puhleeease! It's more than i dare to think about...

jacs
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:41 AM
No, she's not being superstitious by not playing Miami. She just doesn't like the conditions there because it seems that her body can't take it.

Marcus1979
Oct 20th, 2004, 05:47 AM
when Lindsay is not injured she is one of the best players in the world.

lindsayno1
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
nooooooo dnt talk bout kids!!!