PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Hitter?

king416
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Who do you reckon is the hardest hitter of the ball in the womens game. People normally say the Williams sisters but i would say Mary Pierce has the edge on any player in regard to pure hard hitting.

thelittlestelf
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Monica Seles.

Rtael
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Lucic.

selking
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Monica Seles.

good choice. Her and Linds hit the ball with the most power.

SzavayFi
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:52 PM
the Williams, but their consistency takes them down, Daniela used to be up there in 2002 early 2003, sadly its a different story now.....

SJW
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:53 PM
power with the least effort? Davenport then Pierce.

croat123
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:54 PM
lucic...her problem is that the court is too small :p

timray
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Nadia Petrova

Andrew.
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Lucic was the hardest hitter.

Of active players, Davenport and Pierce.

SJW
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Lucic was the hardest hitter.

Of active players, Davenport and Pierce.

copy cat

:p

*Yoav*
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Sprem
Sharapova

Wiggly
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Sprem ( :eek: )

Andrew.
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Sprem
Sharapova
Sharapova isn't even in the top 15 hard-hitters.

jean_genie
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Lucic and Pierce definitely
Monica
Lindsay (her timing makes such good use of that height)
Venus
Serena
Kim (just doesn't look like it's hard)
Sharapova
Sprem
Capriati/Dementieva
Justine

More but those are the ones that make me go
:eek: sometimes.

*hingis_forever*
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:05 PM
She probably is.

thelittlestelf
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Don't forget Bovina, although I still don't think she hits harder than Venus.

Smackie
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Thinking about it, Kim and Monica's styles are quite alike - fast and powerful.

Of those mentioned by Jean, I have to say Serena. When she is in position to hit the ball, you just don't want to be where it goes.

Justine hits very hard when taking body size in consideration but anyone on the list can whack the ball harder than her - speed, in this case, makes her hitting more lethal.

Wiggly
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I see Mayny players in Montreal, the hardest hitter was Bovina and Sprem

thelittlestelf
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Jelena hits the ball FREKIN hard ...... i dunno if it's gonna go in or out LOL but she hits it up with the hardest hitters, or at least used to.
Oh yeah! She hit REALLY hard. It was http://wtaworld.com/ubb/eek.gif.

bmxbandit
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:43 PM
How quickly people forget Jelena :(

hotandspicey
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Depends on the surface..Serena, Vee, Pierce, Davvy, and Jcap are damaging on hard courts.

faboozadoo15
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:00 AM
tell that to serena williams who was overpowered by her on a fast court and constantly hitting off her heels...
to dismiss sharapova's power is to do something rather foolish. she hits the ball as hard as anyone.

Andy.
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Mary Pierce hits the ball extreamly hard when she is position and has time. And Maria is in the top 15 hardest hitters, you can see that by her matches against Serena, Linsay and Mary

selking
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:12 AM
well I know one thing and that is that I was amazed by Maria's power against Serena in the final.

smarties
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I see Mayny players in Montreal, the hardest hitter was Bovina and Sprem

I was there also and I agree for Sprem, Bovina is a verry hard hitter but not the hardest. I say that right now, it's Serena and Sprem.

PatM04
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Lucic
Lindsay
Serena
Monica
Venus
Jen
Kim
Justine
Maria
Nadia
Vera
Sprem
Bovina
Elena
Jelena

None of those are in a particular order except for the top 5.

G_Slammed
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Lindsay Davenport at the top of her game hit bigger than any woman I've ever seen.

Davenport, then place Pierce and M. Lucic however you like, but Davenport is #1.

MisterQ
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:36 AM
In her prime, Seles probably hit the hardest if you consider every shot in a given rally. She even hit her short angles incredibly hard. I've never seen such a ferocious player as early 90s Seles.

Davenport probably hits the hardest in terms of pure power. Those balls fly off her racket -- they are struck so purely.

Serena and Venus need consideration too.

It's kind of hard to give a blanket statement on this. There are players who can hit even harder, but without much consistency. Most smart players will take some pace off the ball in certain situations.

Paldias
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Sprem, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Dementieva, Capriati, Seles, Pierce (that forehand is :eek: )

J_Migoe
Oct 18th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Venus and Serena!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:02 AM
The hardest hitters:

Lucic
Davenport
Dokic
Seles
Sprem
Pierce
Venus/Serena

ashwu
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:09 AM
mary, then lindsay

dreamgoddess099
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:31 AM
tell that to serena williams who was overpowered by her on a fast court and constantly hitting off her heels...
to dismiss sharapova's power is to do something rather foolish. she hits the ball as hard as anyone.
Serena hits off her back foot a ton and that's do to poor footwork, not shot power of her opponents. She even does it against players who don't hit that hard. Serena practices with male players who hit harder than any female player, so she's seen much more power than Sharapova could ever produce. Serena knows how to deal with power, she has positive or equal H2Hs against every body on most people list of power hitters.

azza
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Forehand - Pratt.
Backhand - Pratt.

firefly_ac
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM
y dont we have a thread- " softest hitters in the top 100"see. . tt will be more interesting. . .!!

Athena
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Who do you reckon is the hardest hitter of the ball in the womens game. People normally say the Williams sisters but i would say Mary Pierce has the edge on any player in regard to pure hard hitting.

Monica Seles and Serena Williams , no doubt are the hardest hitters in women's tennis history. They not hit the ball very hard but it also has the lethal "sting" effect to their opponents. :worship: :worship: :worship: :devil:

Athena
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
lucic...her problem is that the court is too small :p

Lucic also hits the ball very hard and flat but very erratic and inconsistent. Sometimes its in but most times its out or hits the net....It's like a game of Russion roulette... :devil: :devil: :devil:

But hopefully, she can still make a comeback...

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Davenport! She is ruthless and hits the ball SO hard, yet with such precision. To watch her in a match live...oh my god! Amazing! The ball even makes a different sound when it comes off her racquet compared to others! :angel:

Athena
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Monica Seles.

One thing that's amazing about Monica (especially during the Pre-stabbing dominant years) is that she even hits the ball even harder and goes more for the lines on pressure points especially on the crucial stages of the match. Her fearlessness was just mindboggling... :devil: :devil: :devil:

geegables
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM
i thought henin hardenne was a hard hitter in 2003, haha i might be really wrong but just always noticed she'd whip amazing forehands

New_balls_please
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Monica, Mary.....

And...
Dominique Monami/Van roost :hearts: :hearts: She used to hit the ball very hard.

azmad_88
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:12 AM
davenport
Bovina
Dementieva

bandabou
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Funny...everybody seems to agree that the sisters arenīt the hardest hitters, yet their power-tennis has been called bad for the game....I guess they meant Lindsayīs power game.

Greenout
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM
LD hits hard. It's just doesn't seem that way because she won't
scream or yell when hitting a ball. :lol:

Athena
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Davenport just strikes the ball so well, cleanly and with so much pace. But in terms of sheer power, I think Serena hits the hardest among the current active players. Very Seleslike when she pounces on the ball :devil: :devil:

Greenout
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Davenport just strikes the ball so well, cleanly and with so much pace. But in terms of sheer power, I think Serena hits the hardest among the current active players. Very Seleslike when she pounces on the ball :devil: :devil:

This might be true; but we may never really know since
none of us had the pleasure of being in a match
against either player. Hingis could give an honest opinion
about this debate; but she has yet to ever truly give
an answer to this when the power hitting issue comes up.

!<blocparty>!
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Who can hit the ball the hardest - Serena
Overall Power, hits the ball hard consistantly - Davenport.

bandabou
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM

aah....so itīs all about the screams.

xr6turbo
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I still maintain that when Venus goes after her forehand.. Like a full on swing, its the hardest shot.. Probably because her arms are so long and she can get alot of leverage on it...

Grachka
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Karen Paterson hits the ball very hard, especially on the forehand :)

Darop.
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Anna Smashnova Pistolesi, duh :rolleyes:

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM
lmao the interviewers/commentator people ASKED lindsay why she doesnt grunt considering the force seh hits the balls with!

xr6turbo
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:17 PM
lmao the interviewers/commentator people ASKED lindsay why she doesnt grunt considering the force seh hits the balls with!

I've heard her grunt before...

Doraemon
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Sveta

mandy7
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM
:scratch: elena

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM

oh i have the odd time too, when she gets tired. Im like 'Lindsay!!!'

Greenout
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Actually I did too, it was more of a moan of
disgust during her grand slam matches against anyone of
the eventual champs. :tape: Kidding folks!

No, seriously she has been known to utter a grunt; but
not really loud. There's alot of players that make sounds; but
not screaming or yelling in the opponents face.

xr6turbo
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Actually I did too, it was more of a moan of
disgust during her grand slam matches against anyone of
the eventual champs. :tape: Kidding folks!

No, seriously she has been known to utter a grunt; but
not really loud. There's alot of players that make sounds; but
not screaming or yelling in the opponents face.

Yeah, i heard her grunt in the 03' Wimby Quarter against Venus... ;) Got a bit lost in there with all of Vees loud peircing grunts.. :lol:

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Id Say Jenny ,Davenport, Maria,Svetlana,Venus & Serena & Mary sometimes & Monica if she played & steffis forehand!:)

skanky~skanketta
Oct 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
smashnova pistolesi and martinez. very underrated :p

i'd say sprem. she hits the ball REALLY hard....sharapova too, but sprem seems more powerful.

davidmario
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Venus and Lindsay are on top.
If you see the two playing you notice that it's a class faster than other players. But I think the racquet does a lot.

Don't forget Kveta Peschke. In the past, it was Kveta Hrdlickova. She hits every ball very hard.

R&J
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM
The Williams Sisters hit really hard, Lindsay Davenport, Monica Seles, Mary Pierce, Jennifer Capriati, Maria Sharapova, etc......

I think all of these women play with the same frame of mind, hard and harder!!!!

DemWilliamsGulls
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM
1. Monica Seles
2. Serena Williams
3. Lindsay Davenport
4. Jennifer Capriati
5. Mary Pierce
6. Venus Williams
7. Justine Henin
8. Kim Clisters

Jaime Bahena
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Serena hits off her back foot a ton and that's do to poor footwork, not shot power of her opponents. She even does it against players who don't hit that hard. Serena practices with male players who hit harder than any female player, so she's seen much more power than Sharapova could ever produce. Serena knows how to deal with power, she has positive or equal H2Hs against every body on most people list of power hitters.

Serena's power didn't do her much good when she lost to Maria at Wimbledon, so power might be overrated. If power was the determining factors in success, she would have won all her tournaments (at least, a majority of them, similar to what Navratilova used to do in her dominant period).

davidmario
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
i don't think jennifer capriati hits harder than venus

SerenaSlam
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
im confused. if all these people can hit "harder" than serena than why can they not beat her?

when you talk to players, they all say serena hits the hardest out there. this is evidently "fan biased"

one factor as well you should consider is a "players strength" and a lot of people say, "serena is so strong" that it not only adds to her power, but in fact, it more so ables her to just "muscle" BIG shots from players back at them as if they were nothing

serena is by far the hardest hitter, but who would i put behind her? Monica Seles.

You all have not seen "hard hitting" untill you watch the Toronto match i believe it was the final btween Serena and Monica. Monica was blasting balls and serena, and serena's sheer strength showed. and to add to her strength was "determination" that Monica was not going to out hit her, and with every big shot monica had, serena answered with more power. it was so close of a match. like 7-5 7-6. only 1 BREAK OF SERVE PEOPLE!

SerenaSlam
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Serena's power didn't do her much good when she lost to Maria at Wimbledon, so power might be overrated. If power was the determining factors in success, she would have won all her tournaments (at least, a majority of them, similar to what Navratilova used to do in her dominant period).
but a lot of serena's power not only comes from her arms, but she uses her legs. and in wimbledon that is what her problem was. she was not moving, not taking the little steps. that in itself can throw you completly off. Maria didn't all of a sudden over 3-4 months after their previous meeting b/c extremly stronger than serena :rolleyes:

lindsayno1
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
people may have power, but it depends what u do with it

KindaNice
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
lucic...her problem is that the court is too small ....from Croat123....LOL

Well....I have seen Mary, Lyndsey, Serena, Venus, Jelena, and Monica all play up close and personal. I admit...Mary SMACKS that sucker. But....Monica is the only person I have ever watched where the spectators would actually GASP after she hit a ball. It was unbelievable...she just crushed the ball. Plus...the ball is hit so flat that it just screams over the net. I remember a story a long time ago that I read regarding the Bolletierri Academy. Monica and Jim Courier used to be hitting partners. He asked to hit with someone else because "she hit the ball so hard he thought he was going to get hit".....hehe.

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:47 PM
jennys power keps serena at bay & most others...Venus & serena & Davenport can match her power but her movement & Speed puts her ahead a lot Venus is the same way.....power isnt everything Steffi had the biggest gun her forehand but her slice backhand worked great too....Plus she moved like a sprinter:)

Seles_Beckham
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Monika Seles

DEETHELICK
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
From what I have seen this year: Davenport, Dementieva, Serena and Sharapova.

Athena
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Monika Seles

At only 10 years old, Monica already had grounstrokes of a pro female player twice her age. It's just mindboggling back to recall back then on how much a kid can so possess so much power.
Seles almost always contact inside the baseline and uses the opponents power to further magnify her own power.
But among the new generation of female players, the most powerful shots belomgs to Serena Williams. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

alfajeffster
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Jeff Tarango's wife was a pretty heavy hitter at Wimbledon years ago, but I haven't heard much from her recently

G_Slammed
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Who can hit the ball the hardest - Serena
Overall Power, hits the ball hard consistantly - Davenport.

This is why I say that Davenport at the top of her game, hit bigger than any other gal around. Most controlled, most accurate, most depth - powered groundstrokes I've ever seen are from Davenport.

thelittlestelf
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Capriati, Svetlana, Venus, Clijsters, Seles

I don't think Lindsay hits the ball as hard as people say she does, it's deceptively hard becuase of the heavy topspin but it's actually not as hard as the flat balls Capriati hits.
The heavy topspin!?!? You can literally see the ball not moving when Lindsay hits the ball. Lindsay hits way harder than Jennifer.

jochem
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM
If she's in a good mood Myskina can also punish opponents with her groundstrokes...it might not be that consistent but it's definately hard hitting.

Jenny.C.Fan
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Jen-Jen, Lindsay and sveta

TeamUSA#1
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I think off the ground, you gotta give it up to Elena D., Serena, Davenport, and Capriati.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I don't even realise how hard Davenport hits the ball alot of the time, its such so easy, and you're right there are no grunts from her :lol:

I would say Mary Pierce hits the ball the hardest, but there are loads up there as well - Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Jen, Sveta

jimbo mack
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:57 PM
anne-gaelle sidot used to hit the ball very hard

davidmario
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:22 AM
anne-gaelle sidot used to hit the ball very hard
that's right :) but not the backhand

backhanddtl4
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:06 AM
There is a difference between speed of the shot, and pace....Speed is like, how hard you smack at it.. And pace is how much it bounces at you because of topspin....
I'd have to say all in all, that Serena, Venus, Seles, and Pierce hit it the hardest...

However, hitting it hard doesn't always win you a match.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Serena's power didn't do her much good when she lost to Maria at Wimbledon, so power might be overrated. If power was the determining factors in success, she would have won all her tournaments (at least, a majority of them, similar to what Navratilova used to do in her dominant period). I agree that the power of either player had no baring on the outcome of that match. Champions adjust, but that's hard to do when you've had a long layoff and haven't faced that kind of pressure in a match of that magnitude in over a year. I was responding to a poster who suggested that Serena was overpowered because she was hitting off her back foot. I was saying that Serena hits off her back foot a lot because of poor footwork, whether she's facing a powerful shot or not. And that Serena knows how to adjust to deep powerful shots because she's faced much more powerful ones on that very surface. And I agree, power is as overrated, as the talent of power players is underrated.

faboozadoo15
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:04 AM
i think there's literally a bunch of girls that are sooo close in power. it's what else you can do that makes the difference. for instance, serena doesn't hit any (or much) harder than seles but has superior athleticism, but in the same right, monica has better angles and court sense. that's why some of their matches were so amazing.

a player like bovina could very well be the hardest hitter. it seems to be day to day. when i see venus play lindsay, i see no power difference, it's always "what else" you can do with the ball.

Rub
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:19 AM
hingis! :lol:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:36 AM

My top picks

Seles
Davenport
Serena and Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova

davidmario
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Miriam Casanova, Marie G.-Mikaelian

faboozadoo15
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Miriam Casanova, Marie G.-Mikaelian
interesting picks. i've only seen them when the play top players, but i never noticed them overpowering the top players. perhaps you saw these players (who are great, fun to watch players) play people on lower levels than what i saw and were very overpowering in their wins.
can anyone else weigh in on the power f casanova and mgm?

davidmario
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM
interesting picks. i've only seen them when the play top players, but i never noticed them overpowering the top players. perhaps you saw these players (who are great, fun to watch players) play people on lower levels than what i saw and were very overpowering in their wins.
can anyone else weigh in on the power f casanova and mgm?
yes when mgm played venus in wimbledon you didn't get to see it.
But the Eurosport-Commentator always says Casanova hits the ball very hard.

Mr_Molik
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:39 AM
i dont see y everyones saying monica- in the early 90s, then yes she was the hardest hitter
but nowadays, there are so many players that hit harder than her like pierce, lucic, williams, davenport etc

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Venus hits the hardest case closed. She may not hit the ball hard and flat like the old days, but when she wants to rip a winner, she does it the fastest. Serena, Davenport, Bovina, Lucic, and Seles are all right behind her.

LindsayRocks89
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Capriati, Svetlana, Venus, Clijsters, Seles

I don't think Lindsay hits the ball as hard as people say she does, it's deceptively hard becuase of the heavy topspin but it's actually not as hard as the flat balls Capriati hits.

Lindsay uses Heavy topspin?! :o Lindsay hits pretty flat if you ask me, she hits alot harder than capriati.

1. Lindsay- she has the best technique, and can hit hard all the time, very very good control
2. Serena, now she may be able to hit harder than Lindsay at times, but its pretty much just pure strength and muscling the ball from her, like serena can have poor footwork sometimes and doesnt have time to set up or anything, but yet she still hits the ball very hard, which is a good thing to be able too do
3. Venus, i honestly think her shots are very flat and hard off both sides, when she goes up the line on her backhand or forehand, great hard shots

faboozadoo15
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:21 AM
i dont see y everyones saying monica- in the early 90s, then yes she was the hardest hitter
but nowadays, there are so many players that hit harder than her like pierce, lucic, williams, davenport etc
i disagree, even in 2002-03 she was one of the hardest hitters, sure lucic and pierce hit harder than her, but they hit harder than everyone.
i think monica looks to be one of the hardets hitters even in todays game (assuming she was still playing) bc nobody can hit hard angles like her. any of the big girls can clock it up the middle and down the lines, but what made monica different is that she took the ball sooo early that it seemed like she never lost pace with anyone.

brunof
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Hardest hitter I have seen is Anne Keothavong... :o ... Okay, she may actually be a powder-puff hitter but she was the hardest player I saw in St. Paul in 04. She is impressive, but also inconsistent. Abby Spears also smacked the ball very hard. :wavey: