PDA

View Full Version : ladies and gentleman, it's beat's sunday report. plus reports from katie and pinky!

Beat
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM
hello everyone :wavey:

though i would really like to go every day, today was the only day i could go to the swisscom challenge. not enough money, too much work, i'm afraid... ;)
at least i could catch the 4 final qualifying matches. so here's my report:

golovin def. loit

well, what kind of losers go to see a qualifying match on a sunday morning, 10 a.m.? erm, me, for example. but not too many other people, it seemed... the arena was almost empty, which didn't exactly guarantee a great atmosphere.... :o
golovin, though slightly less impressing than i imagined her to be, was always in control in this match, i guess she just didn't have to show more, because loit was bad today. there was a good phase in the 2nd set, where emilie caught up from 1:3 to 3:3 - it probably lasted about as long as the rest of the match. and though loit seemed to get into the match more during that phase, golovin stayed very calm and focused all through the match. loit, meanwhile, threw her racket around, lots of times, smashed balls into the crowd (okay, into those 5 people), and screamed in frustration, which frankly made her look a bit silly at this hour in a qualifying match.

asagoe def. chladkova

the arena was filling up nicely now.
there was no barbie to butch for shinobu today, but she certainly played very well. it's all very breezy and light, the way she plays, but nontheless sharp and flat, which makes her quite enjoyable to watch. she could have won this much easier, she was leading 5:4 and 6:5, serving for the 1st set twice, but could only close it out in the tie-break. also towards the end of the 2nd set she seemed a bit shaky, but denisa made too many errors. i never realized what a horrible 2nd serve chladokova has :eek: shinobu hit quite a few winners off those.
ai came to watch the match for a bit. :)

mikaelian def. pennetta

a lot of people had finally arrived to catch the 1st match invloving a swiss player. :)
it was a long time since i'd last seen MGM play. she's had a terrible year, including surgery, but now she seems to be back (kind of). one thing that she seems to have gotten rid of is the weight problem - she looked very slim indeed. which led me to believe that some of her power has gone, but also that she moved slightly better than before.
flavia was up 4:2 in the 1st set and though marie almost always had a lead in those games, she seemed too nervous. she fought back, played a very good tie break and the 2nd set was all mikaelian. flavia didn't play bad, albeit a bit uninspired, but her serve let her down, while marie-gaïané served pretty well, which was the key. and her backhand worked brilliantly today (it's her best shot anyway).
i hope she can repeat this win, now that the 2 have drawn each other in the main draw as well! :)

ivanovic def. kostanic.

i had never seen ana play before. and wow! i'm impressed :eek: ! she's a big, young girl, and yes, she plays powerful tennis (what a surprise these days, isn't it? ;) ), including a nice serve, but she doesn't just hit the crap out of the ball, she really controls it, it looks very smooth, plus, unlike all those dokic-clones, she has a very good defensive game. kostanic tried everything, in fact she didn't play bad at all, but she just didn't find an answer. i really think that the pure physical advantage of ivanovic kinda made the difference.

ivanovic vs. golovin - could be very interesting!

greetings from zurich: beat :wavey:

Joana
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Danke schön, Beat! :kiss:

Beat
Oct 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Danke schön, Beat! :kiss:
Bitteschön! :D

I see you're a fan of ana - and rightly so! ;)

MLF
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Glad you enjoyed your day Beat, thanks for the report.

Joana
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Bitteschön! :D

I see you're a fan of ana - and rightly so! ;)
Yep, I've been following her career for almost 3 years now. Haven't seen her play since the junior days and judging from the pics she grew so much since then! :eek:
But still she's as cute as ever!

ZAK
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM
What was Tati wearing?

jean_genie
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful day Beat. Hope you can get away to go again. Thanks for the report.

Erdinger
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the report! :cool:

Wow that you still remember the "Shinobu the barbie butcher thread"! :eek: That poster was great, but unfortunately she never came back. :sad:

Ana, I really became a fan of you, please continue!! :bounce: :bounce:

Jackson.
Oct 17th, 2004, 11:18 PM
nice report :D :D :D

Kuilli
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the report, Beat! :D

beauty_is_pink
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks Beat!!!

did you see any players practising.. ie: Hantuchova? :p

martinafan
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Thanks Beat!!!

Did you watch any of the doubles matches at all?...Really curious to see how Husarova/Molik played!

pcrtennis
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Nice to see Ai supporting Shino!! Too bad now they have to play eachother...

Katie
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Haven't got a report as such but anyway:
Ok thanks to my visit to the Swisscom Challenge event yesterday, I got the following autographs:

Flavia Penetta,Lisa Raymond,Maria Sharapova,Marie Gaiané Mikaelian,Mary Pierce,Magui Serna,Silvia Farina,Claudine Schaul,Mervana Jugic,Zuluaga,Ai Sugiyama,Timea Bazcinsky,Emilie Loit,Tatiana Golovin,Iveta Benesova,Gagliardi,Anna Lena Groenfeld,Martina Hingis,Anabel Medina Garrigues,Daniela Hantuchova,Magdalena Maleeva,Janette Husarova,Ana Ivanovic,Vera Douchevina,Shinobu Asagoe,Cara Black,Venus Williams,Tina Krizan and Denisa Chladkova.Not a bad start!lol...

I didn't have a ticket for the matches yesterday so decided to go and get autographs and pics instead..lol! have some great pics!!!They'll be up shortly on my site!I'll be going tho to the tournament again on Wednesday and I have a ticket for that, so will see some matches!

Katie
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
The most adorable players were Shinobu,Ai,Magui,Fabiola,Silvia Farina Elia and Vera Douchevina.

blablabla
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM
nice one, beat. good read.

Beat
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
What was Tati wearing?
well, what is golovin wearing when she ran out of shorts? yes, that's right, a pink dress! ;)

of course i remember the "shinobu - barbie butcher" thread. 'twas hilarious :lol: what was the poster's name again?

no, martinafan, i couldn't stay to watch doubles, sorry.

lots of autographs you got there, katie :eek: will you give us the link to your website? have fun on wednesday.

Katie
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:14 AM
well, what is golovin wearing when she ran out of shorts? yes, that's right, a pink dress! ;)

of course i remember the "shinobu - barbie butcher" thread. 'twas hilarious :lol: what was the poster's name again?

no, martinafan, i couldn't stay to watch doubles, sorry.

lots of autographs you got there, katie :eek: will you give us the link to your website? have fun on wednesday.
Yeah lots of autographs!lol...:)

My website is in my signature Beat:)
http://www.geocities.com/worldwidetennis

Glad you had a nice time there yesterday Beat!

JonBcn
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM
cheers Beat :D

Sammm
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Ai came to see Shino :) They'll see each other in the first round too ;)

Pinky
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I didn't have a ticket for the matches yesterday so decided to go and get autographs and pics instead..lol! have some great pics!!!They'll be up shortly on my site!I'll be going tho to the tournament again on Wednesday and I have a ticket for that, so will see some matches!
I have a ticket for wednesday as well :)

Hope there will be good matches then... really hope to see Hantuchova - Sharapova then (there is a chance since Daniela played this morning)!

I am sad Patty/Babsi lost today :(

Katie
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM
All my autographs are up now on my forum in the "Have any of you got autographs of some players"thread,if you'd like to see them:)

http://tennisfan1.proboards33.com

CooCooCachoo
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Great you had fun Beat and Katie :yeah:

TS
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Thank you Beatovski :kiss: :D

Ryan
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the report Beat! If you had to pick, who do you think would win the Golovin-Ivanovic match? :)

Beat
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the report Beat! If you had to pick, who do you think would win the Golovin-Ivanovic match? :)

based on yesterday's peformances, i'd pick ivanovic. but like i said, i don't think golovin needed to show what she's capable of, so it's hard to tell.

katie and pinky, will you write reports, too? that'd be great! :)

Katie
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM
based on yesterday's peformances, i'd pick ivanovic. but like i said, i don't think golovin needed to show what she's capable of, so it's hard to tell.

katie and pinky, will you write reports, too? that'd be great! :)

Ok Beat:)....So Masha and Dani will play tomorrow??That'll be interesting!!!Hope to see that match!!As I won't be able to stay until the evening!So hopefully it'll be a day match:)

Beat
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:12 PM
based on yesterday's peformances, i'd pick ivanovic.
ha! ;)

Princess Fiona
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
:worship: ;)

Thank you for the great report Beat... :) I'm pleased you had a great time. :)

(I'm pleased you had a great time too Katie and Pinky... :) )

If only Sunday had been televised - I could have had a little game in trying to look for you in the crowd!! ;) The "Guess Which Gentleman is Beat" game... ;) I could beat Ana Ivanovic in that? lol... :unsure: ;)

Pinky
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:56 PM
:worship: ;)

Thank you for the great report Beat... :) I'm pleased you had a great time. :)

(I'm pleased you had a great time too Katie and Pinky... :) )

Hey, i didn't had a great time at that time ;)

Now, i am just back from Zurich, and... i had a great time :)

I will post something tomorrow. I guess quite a biut of people saw some of todays singles since eurosport showed 4 out of 5 of those i think?

Little teaser:
Near the end of the Sharapova-Hantuchova match (pretty good btw, close one), Hantuchova got really mad at Sharapova's endless "grunts", so when she got close to the ball boy, preparing for her next serve, she imitated Maria, moving her racket around with her wrist, doing some stupid grunts, and all with a disgusted face saying a lot :)
Hard to describe well, but i was only a few meters from her at the time and was litterally ROFLing when she did it! (maybe the TV catched that, but i doubt :) )

Beat
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:53 AM
Little teaser:
so when she got close to the ball boy, preparing for her next serve, she imitated Maria, moving her racket around with her wrist, doing some stupid grunts, and all with a disgusted face saying a lot :)

:lol: now i'm really looking forward to your report! ;)

fiona! how are you? :kiss:

Katie
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:32 AM
lol Pinky!

Saw Tatiana-ANA,WOW,what match!!!!!!!!!!To tell you the truth I had never heard of Ana before the tournament.Anyway, watched the match from the very beginning, fantastic tennis,both players hitting it out to one another.Ana was always down in every single set,but,have no idea how,managed to come back to either win the set or lose the tie break.Amazing, I was rooting for both of them in the beginning,then after a few games in the second set,was beginning to root more for Ana,cuz was just impressed by her game and by her will to come back in each game.Third set was the best,Ana just never gave up,and Tatiana was starting to get frustrated.In the end Tatiana lost it,and knew she'd lose the match.Was thrilling,really, and was SO happy for Ana:)

Also saw a bit of Elena-Fransesca,was entertaining but nothing like the match Ana-Tatiana.

Saw the first 2 sets of Vera-Alicia,was extremely disappointed by Vera's play but Alicia was just TOO good,wow her serves are unbelievable!!Saw Vera lurking around in the corridor after her match and she was in TEARS!!!!but, she went and signed autographs for everyone after,also got hers but my god,the tears she was shedding,felt so sorry for her:sad: ..I really do hope she'll get her game on track soon.

Then came the match Masha-Dani:
Only saw the first hour cuz then had to come home.Was great,super quality tennis,and Dani really hung in there!Was actually impressive seeing Masha play.Last time I saw her play was at Wimbledon(juniors event),so it had been sometime since I had last seen her play.Was impressed by her game and determination.Fantastic serves,super groundstrokes..dani was extremely focused,hit soem amazing winners,also was an entertaining match!

All in all had a fantastic day watching great matches and getting more pics taken and getting more autographs!lol..

So got this time:Franscesa Schiavone,Elena Bovina,Lizel Huber,Meghann Shaughnessy,Vera Zvonareva,elena Dementieva,Alicia Molik,Tatiana Golovin(but this time on a picture) and Nadia Petrova.

Beat
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM
thanks so much for the report, katie! :D i'm glad you had such a good day.

will we ever see vera not crying? how old is she? 12?

Katie
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:50 AM
lol Beat...I have seen Vera not crying actually...At Wimbledon this year when she beat Gisela Dulko...Would've been pointless to cry then I think...lol!;)

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM
thanx for the reports and stuff
but where are all the fans, its so empty and its a small stadia :o

even Sharapova vs Hantuchova was about half-full.

Pinky
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the report :)

I will just made a few adds / comments then:

lol Pinky!

Mmm... that's me! :cool:

Saw Tatiana-ANA,WOW,what match!!!!!!!!!!To tell you the truth I had never heard of Ana before the tournament.Anyway, watched the match from the very beginning, fantastic tennis,both players hitting it out to one another.Ana was always down in every single set,but,have no idea how,managed to come back to either win the set or lose the tie break.Amazing, I was rooting for both of them in the beginning,then after a few games in the second set,was beginning to root more for Ana,cuz was just impressed by her game and by her will to come back in each game.Third set was the best,Ana just never gave up,and Tatiana was starting to get frustrated.In the end Tatiana lost it,and knew she'd lose the match.Was thrilling,really, and was SO happy for Ana:)

It was a typical "rookie" match, but a great one: quite a bit of errors but also tons of great shots. The very close score added a lot to make a very enjoyable match to watch :)
I never saw Ana before and i must say i was quite impressed. There are definitely a good bunch of girls that are getting ready to replace the current generation!

Also saw a bit of Elena-Fransesca,was entertaining but nothing like the match Ana-Tatiana.

technically it was a pretty good match, but it as Katie said, it wasn't that entertaining to watch. Fransesca good fighting spirit nearly permitted her to get to a 3rd set but it fell short in the end.

Saw the first 2 sets of Vera-Alicia,was extremely disappointed by Vera's play but Alicia was just TOO good,wow her serves are unbelievable!!Saw Vera lurking around in the corridor after her match and she was in TEARS!!!!but, she went and signed autographs for everyone after,also got hers but my god,the tears she was shedding,felt so sorry for her:sad: ..I really do hope she'll get her game on track soon.

Worst match of the day, by far, for me, even if it went to the third. Vera basically tanked for a good part of the first and even if the second set was a bit better, i decided to make a "pause" during the 3rd. I followed it a bit on the TV screens around but well, all sets were pretty much one-sided and the level of play wasn't great.

Then came the match Masha-Dani:
Only saw the first hour cuz then had to come home.Was great,super quality tennis,and Dani really hung in there!Was actually impressive seeing Masha play.Last time I saw her play was at Wimbledon(juniors event),so it had been sometime since I had last seen her play.Was impressed by her game and determination.Fantastic serves,super groundstrokes..dani was extremely focused,hit soem amazing winners,also was an entertaining match!

This was the show match of the day, on paper. As we all know, these great matches on paper often end up being just average on the court.
It wasn't the case at all. For me, it was the best and most enjoyable match of the day, even if Daniela lost :sad: . It is really too bad that it didn't go to the 3rd. Sharapova was impressive with her serve and to a lesser extent return game. This is certainly what permitted her to win.
See above in the thread for the little teaser :D

Then was... the Powerball! What? you don't know the powerball? Well, if you don't speak german (even swiss-german to some extent) you better forget about it ;)

After that came Sugiyama and Penetta. The first set was good, and Flavia was dominating but it went to tie-break and then experience spoke. After that, Penetta looked a bit less "into it" and Sugiyama won pretty easily.
Flavia seems to have a tatoo in the lower part of her back. Part of it was visible each time she was preparing for return. I got some pictures, will post something :) Anyway, she won the "look at me preparing for return, from behind" award, with a short margin over Sharapova! :lick: (sorry, that's my typically basic male side ;) )

All in all had a fantastic day watching great matches and getting more pics taken and getting more autographs!lol..

So got this time:Franscesa Schiavone,Elena Bovina,Lizel Huber,Meghann Shaughnessy,Vera Zvonareva,elena Dementieva,Alicia Molik,Tatiana Golovin(but this time on a picture) and Nadia Petrova.

Great day, 2 really good matches plus 2 interesting matches made it a well over average tennis day. It is even a top day for a mixed 1st / 2nd round day i would say! :)

I tried to take some pics from the girls on the court, but as you may know, unless you have a 5k$ objective (also weighting a ton) it is really hard to get some honest results of indoor sports. I shot in raw, so i will need to work on the pics a bit and will post some later :)

Finally, about the autographs, well i am not that much into it, but i managed to be there when Elena Dementieva was signing some, so i now have 2 signed tennis cards of her :)

Princess Fiona
Oct 21st, 2004, 03:11 PM
Great reports... :) Thanks!!

Pinky, I'm pleased you had a great time THIS time... ;) Please excuse my error in my last post... *blush* ;)

Poor Vera Z... I'm sorry she was crying.

Beat!! :kiss: :wavey: I am okay thanks... :) I said I was going to leave this computer to give Venus and Ana my full concentration in "What Band" thread... :o Tsss, this addictive Internet... :o ;) I very much send my best wishes to you... :)

(I think Ana looks a little like Claudine Schaul... Right!! Time to leave computer Fiona... ;) )