PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova vs. Vaidisova

BK4ever
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Vaidisova winning her second title as a 15 year old presents a very interesting challenge for the WTA. When Sharapova was 16 and in the top 50 the wta changed the rules for her.

Curious what the wta will do about Nicole..after Philadelphia, she can only play 4 more tournaments until the end of April.

Note that she is already ranked #72 and if she continues her great play can break into the top 50 in her next two tournaments or so and she will still only be 15 :eek:

What do you guys think the solution is?

KV
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:26 PM
It's very fair to give Nicole a few extra tournaments. Same goes for the less than 18 y.o. If you want higher quality then change the AER. As well the AER provides too many underranked and overranked players. Wouldn't be suprised on average points a tourney Nicole'd have made the top 50 and being on the Silver Exempt list.

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm...If they changed rules for Maria I guess it's fair to change them for Nicole as well...

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
They were hinting on giving more tourns to players under AER.
Last i heard was 15 yr olds getting 1 extra event.
16-17 maybe 2 more.

the new rulebook wont be in place yet for a few weeks.

Wonder if they'll include any 15yr olds that make Top 100 as a Silver Listed Player ;)

Paldias
Oct 17th, 2004, 04:54 PM
You can not compare Maria with Vaidisova. Not even Maria was winning TIER V's when she was winning her first titles. Besides I bet if Sharapova had faced off against Vaidisova any day Sharapova would woop her ass (and this isn't coming from Sharapova's biggest fan). The only way they'll change the rules if Vaidisova starts winning Tier I titles and is stunningly gorgeous, which she isn't.

BK4ever
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
You can not compare Maria with Vaidisova. Not even Maria was winning TIER V's when she was winning her first titles. Besides I bet if Sharapova had faced off against Vaidisova any day Sharapova would woop her ass (and this isn't coming from Sharapova's biggest fan). The only way they'll change the rules if Vaidisova starts winning Tier I titles and is stunningly gorgeous, which she isn't.
Maria didnt win her first title until she was 16 and it was a Tier III...yes Nicole's was a Tier IV but she came all the way from Qualies ;)

The bottom line is that no 15 year has won two titles in a long time!

I'm not comparing their games, so much as the situation they are both in at a young age..

BTW...Nicole is stunningly gorgeous..you obviously haven't seen her ;) :wavey:

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Please don't get the looks involved in this...:lol:

Paldias
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Maria didnt win her first title until she was 16 and it was a Tier III...yes Nicole's was a Tier IV but she came all the way from Qualies ;)

The bottom line is that no 15 year has won two titles in a long time!

I'm not comparing their games, so much as the situation they are both in at a young age..

BTW...Nicole is stunningly gorgeous..you obviously haven't seen her ;) :wavey:

Sorry I don't mean to bring in 'NEGATIVE' vibes but I hate the young guns, they annoy me. I mean don't you think someone like Nicole Pratt, or Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi who like 0.5% body fat should be winning titles over people like Nicoel Vaidisova and Maria Sharapova who've been on the tour for like a year?

bandabou
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I guess if they did it for Maria, then there isnīt any reason why they shouldnīt do the same for Vaidisova....or are looks THAT important to the wta?!

Because letīs face it: Maria herself ainīt gonna win a miss universe title anyday soon, soo..

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Sorry I don't mean to bring in 'NEGATIVE' vibes but I hate the young guns, they annoy me. I mean don't you think someone like Nicole Pratt, or Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi who like 0.5% body fat should be winning titles over people like Nicoel Vaidisova and Maria Sharapova who've been on the tour for like a year?
Why? The better player wins, simple.

Volcana
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Admit they made a mistake last time and do nothing. They didn't change the rules to help Sharapova. They cahnged the rule to help Octagon and IMG. The AER works. Fooling with it is a mistake.

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I guess if they did it for Maria, then there isnīt any reason why they shouldnīt do the same for Vaidisova....or are looks THAT important to the wta?!

Because letīs face it: Maria herself ainīt gonna win a miss universe title anyday soon, soo..
Uhm. It's probably just me, but what does looks have to do with this? The comment that Maria won't win a Miss Universe title is totally not relevant here.

bandabou
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Uhm. It's probably just me, but what does looks have to do with this? The comment that Maria won't win a Miss Universe title is totally not relevant here.

Chubin rings a bell?!

Point still is: What explanation are they gonna give if they donīt give this girl the same treatment as they gave Maria?!

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Chubin rings a bell?!

Point still is: What explanation are they gonna give if they donīt give this girl the same treatment as they gave Maria?!
Pffffff. I really couldn't care less actually. I have too less knowledge about this anyway...

bandabou
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Pffffff. I really couldn't care less actually. I have too less knowledge about this anyway...

me too....:lol:

the cat
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Nicole reminds me alot of Maria on and off the court. She is blonde, tall, a big hitter, Bollettieri bred, a winner and well spoken. It will be interesting to see if Nicole can beat Maria when they play for the first time on the WTA Tour. Congrats to Nicole on a great start to her career. :D She is playing and winning small tournaments and that's a smart move on IMG's part. IMG also had Masha play alot of amller tournament early in her career and that paid off big time for Sharapova. Because getting that winning feeling by winning small tournaments led to Masha's winning Wimbledon this year as a 17 year old. :)

BK4ever
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Admit they made a mistake last time and do nothing. They didn't change the rules to help Sharapova. They cahnged the rule to help Octagon and IMG. The AER works. Fooling with it is a mistake.
Agree with you 100% and on principal I like the AER but sometimes, just sometimes when players like Sharapova, Golovin and Nicole come along you can't help but doubt it a lil...

But if I had to choose between keeping the AER or not I would definitely choose to keep it in place.

BK4ever
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Nicole reminds me alot of Maria on and off the court. She is blonde, tall, a big hitter, Bollettieri bred, a winner and well spoken. It will be interesting to see if Nicole can beat Maria when they play for the first time on the WTA Tour. Congrats to Nicole on a great start to her career. :D She is playing and winning small tournaments and that's a smart move on IMG's part. IMG also had Masha play alot of amller tournament early in her career and that paid off big time for Sharapova. Because getting that winning feeling by winning small tournaments led to Masha's winning Wimbledon this year as a 17 year old. :)
Nicole is nothing like Maria on or off the court ;)

I wouldnt call Nicole Bolletieri bred as she has only been there for a short while..maybe two years on and off.

jacobruiz
Oct 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Too bad more posts can't be like the Cat's; sensible, well-reasoned, positive and informative instead of bitchy, bashing and immmature.

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Too bad more posts can't be like the Cat's; sensible, well-reasoned, positive and informative instead of bitchy, bashing and immmature?
Keep dreaming Jacob, keep dreaming... ;)

starr
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Anybody who thinks vaidsova isn't pretty needs to take a look at this photo. She's very much in the style of Dementieva. Plus I notice she's wearing reebok. Reebok picked another pretty good 15 year old about 10 years back. :)

http://photo910.tripod.com/gkopihtm/v5048g3.htm

Frank
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I know it's a cliché...:p

the cat
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I guess we disagree, BK. Nicole is alot more like Maria than Maria is like Anna that's for sure. ;)

And I would say Nicole has come along way the way two years she's been living and training at Bollettieri's, wouldn't you?

Thanks Jaco.

t_fan
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Nicole is way more developed physically than Masha was @ 15 IMO. At least judging from what I've seen in September. Don't know about the mental side. I agree with Volcana and BK. Either you stand by AER or take an individual approach which is hardly possible.

Darop.
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:03 PM
The restriction rule is retarded :rolleyes:

The WTA is treating players like objects :rolleyes: Trying to keep younf girls hungry for tennis and trying to make them retire as late as possible :rolleyes:

Lemonskin.
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Maybe they should let the better 15-year-olds play more tournaments than the crap ones :tape: :p

*Karen*
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:38 PM
I think they should let them play more. Especially the over 16s. Nicole also deserves more wildcards into bigger tournies.

Bamafan717
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I can't wait in a few years for Vaidisova Time. She is SO talented. I can;t wait until 2006 or 2007.

thelittlestelf
Oct 17th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Vaidisova is the future of women's tennis :).

BK4ever
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:49 AM
I guess we disagree, BK. Nicole is alot more like Maria than Maria is like Anna that's for sure. ;)

And I would say Nicole has come along way the way two years she's been living and training at Bollettieri's, wouldn't you?

Thanks Jaco.
Cat your love for Maria has always clouded your judgement...but if you looked at Maria, her behavior, her career path (in terms of endorsements and media hype) she is no different than Anna...actually she is, she acts as if she is all about tennis but she is offering herself up to the media just the way Anna did...or at least IMG is offering her up that way.

Anna had the balls to say she loved the attention and she recognized that she had a great opportunity and she openly accepted it...she didnt hide behind "i'm not trying to be like anyone else" bullshit.

the cat
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
But BK, I try to be fair and impartial. And Nicole reminds me of Maria more than Maria reminds me of Anna. And Nicole is following the same scheduling path that Masha took. And that's a path that leads to WTA titles early in their careers. Masha did it and it paid off bigtime and Nicole is doing the same thing hoping it will pay off for her in a big way, too. :)

jacobruiz
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Cat your love for Maria has always clouded your judgement...but if you looked at Maria, her behavior, her career path (in terms of endorsements and media hype) she is no different than Anna...actually she is, she acts as if she is all about tennis but she is offering herself up to the media just the way Anna did...or at least IMG is offering her up that way.

Anna had the balls to say she loved the attention and she recognized that she had a great opportunity and she openly accepted it...she didnt hide behind "i'm not trying to be like anyone else" bullshit.
BK4ever - You are an intelligent and informed poster but I think your dislike of Maria has clouded YOUR judgement.

Maria is VERY different from Anna; she shows no desire to be seen as "sexy", a little modeling on the side is nothing compared with the sexy -Lolita image Anna worked with from the age of fifteen on. Maria is not hiding behind anything; she has won multiple WTA titles(yes, they are tier III and IV's but they are giving her the experience and confidence she needs right now. If only Anna had played lower tiered tournaments when she was 16 and 17 her while career might have taken a different track.)

And that Grand Slam win less than 4 months ago is only the beginning for young Maria. "I'm not trying to be like anyone else" - good for you, Masha!
And Nicole certainly has a very bright future as well.

the cat
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Nicely said Jaco. :) Especially about BK being an intelligent poster and how Maria is very different from Anna.