PDA

View Full Version : Martina will fall out of the top 100 by the end of 2003

MartianJoeyWinson
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I honestky think this will happen, and many people will know that I am a devoted Martina fan, but I dont believe in complete blind faith.

It's completely over at last, we've had our necks wrung, put out of our misery, Williams fans can goad us as much as they want, power (ugly) tennis has won the battle. I've lost compete interest in the game.

Ryan
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Kepp dreaming.

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Well although I do not dislike Martina I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers but I don't think she will fall out of the top 100 by 2003 just because she lost one final!

ASV
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:14 AM
I really doubt that will happen.

She dominates everyone, but she can't overcome power.

So what? She can't beat four 5 players. She still beats the rest.

So what? She may not hold the #1 ranking any longer. She still did for like a zillion weeks.

Jordan.
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Thanks Angele!I cant believe you just said that Joey,are you truly a fan?If you were,you would stick with her through thick and thin.Just because she lost one final doesnt mean shes gonna fall out of the top 100.She is very talented and she will not go away,she will stick around in the top 10,(top 5 hopefully) for many more years to come.

smygelfh
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:17 AM
If she plays with today's attitude, she will fall out of top ten at least. But I'm sure she expected to win too easily, as almost everyone thought, so that's a reason. However, there will be plenty of more new good players, she can't afford to lose to everyone the first time.

nikita771
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM
I'm not even close to being a Hingis fan and I would never agree that she would ever fall that low in the rankings unless she stopped playing tennis completely. Also - power does not equal ugly. It's not the end of tennis and those type of matches will draw in more fan that it will turn away. Sorry you're no longer interested - cause the stakes have been raised a bit higher. I for one think that Martina will stay in the hunt and prove that she is still one of the best players in the world.

Ryan
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Its one match as I see it. Hingis iwll have a successful year, and will NOt fall out of the top 5 even. She'll be fine people.

Mikey
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by angele87
Well although I do not dislike Martina I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers but I don't think she will fall out of the top 100 by 2003 just because she lost one final!

lol! its so true! i think that even though hingis has lost two finals in which she should have won (the other being the AO final), i dont think that she'll fall out of the top 10, let alone the top 100. while i am not in any way a fan of martina, i still think she's still secure w/ her ranking :rolleyes:. lol

Ryan
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:25 AM
I completely agree niftymk. It's one final, and Hingis owns everyone else, and neats power players almost 50% of the time.

Sonja
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:32 AM
I am not a Martina fan, however, there is no way (barring injury, God forbid) she will fall out of the Top 100 in one year. She plays much too well for that and has been very consistent with her tennis.

She will continue to challenge the top players. She's only 21, and we haven't seen the last of her yet.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:41 AM
All i'm gonna say its gonna get alot harder than easier.

you just got to see the way all the kids play in juniors ..... they will frighten the life out of Hingis.

Zhao
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:49 AM
come on she lost only one final......i think she underestimated daniel right from the start n was too late when she wanted to twist her disadvantage situation.... :P

instead os saying daniel is venus's clone....why not say she is the stronger quickler of hingis:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

take heart guys...hingis will bounce back from todays defeat is not like she has not lost close matches b4;)

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Martina just took a set off of Serena? Hingis knows how to play power.. she just LOST tonight.

Also It was not all of Dani's power that won her the match. This girl knows how to play tennis. She moved the ball well from side to side. She played this match like a chess game. Infact imho she beat Hingis with her own game. Just with more power and aggression.

Imho Dani should be feared by alot of the players because she imho has it all!! Infact she reminds me of a cross between Venus and Hingis. And that sounds IS dangerous!!

Joey chill out and relax Hingis just got outplayed. She can't win them all. By the way I do think she will be out of the top 10 in 2003 but not top 100.

harloo
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:05 AM
This is what probably will happen, Hingis will stay around get to the semis, or finals if she makes it that far. I say this year she will stay in the top ten. However, I fear that if she doesn't improve her serve and overall aggression the other girls will only get better and I say it's gonna be hard for her to stay top ten. The competition is getting to thick for her type of game. She had a chance when it was only the Williams and Davenport, but now you have all these new power players who don't care who you are and will try to take you out.

I think Daniela is a power player also, but moreso like Lindsay Davenport. She doesn't give too much away, and she knows how to hold her nerves and that's gonna be a tough combination for the top 5. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Volcana
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:13 AM
JoeyWinson - If you wanna go, go. In five tournaments in 2002 Martina Hingis has a Tier I win, a Tier II win, a GS final, a Tier I final and a Tier II semi. Go find a player with a better record this year to root for. (If that seems like to small a challenge, try holding your breathe while you do it. :))

Deira
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Harloo, there's no way Lindsay could move like Dani. Doesn't she remind you of someone else ;)

Aci79
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:36 AM
yup I agree

Falling out of 100 is unlikely to happen if she keeps being healthy and go as far as final or semis most of the times.

She is still there.. not fully, but it was just Daniela's day.. As good as she is, Daniela got to win a title sooner or later. Martina happened to be the opponent on the other side of the net. It could had been someone else.

It is so great to see more young players like Daniela on the WTA Tour while the older players are still kicking butts.
Women's tennis rocks!!!

disposablehero
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Hurry! Everyone PANIC NOW!

AUSBOY
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Guys I think he is talking about Martina Sucha :eek:

Dawn Marie
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:25 AM
*dawn just spit out her drink* stop it with the sarcasm folks! Disposable and Ausboy please your making me laugh.

LucasArg
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:01 AM
I can say Martina's game is not enough to beat the Top player and to win Slams.

If she does not change her game, she will be out of the top ten:rolleyes:

Hurley
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Joey had one too many pints tonight. ;)

One bad match. Not a really big deal. We'll re-evaluate after the next major.

~RedRose~
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:28 AM
I can't belive people are going on about her not winning a slam ... Monica hasnt won a slam since 1996 and Martina hasnt since 1999 but has gotten to the finals like ow many times, im sure if Marti makes continuous finals her ranking is sure to stay up where it belongs.

aura of daniela
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Ok, I firstly think that Daniela has very smooth power, compare to Venus and Capriati and the likes, raw grunt power.
Her game isn't based on muscle, more on timing and technique.
She has a very slow, smooth action on both forehand and backhand, although the backhand is the better looking shot.
I think her game is the most fun to watch, it is a merger between say a Hingis and Venus style of play.

Martina wont fall from the top that quickly Joe. There are many player in the top 50, let alone top 100 who aren't producing title worthy tennis, so to say because she cant beat Venus, Jennifer, Serena and now Daniela on a regular basis, doesn't me she is no good. It was only Hingis' first meeting with Daniela, so in the next meet, no matter what the result, it's is just a match against a tough player. Hingis is still better than 95, out of a 100 of the top 100 players, and on her day, can still compete with the other 5 as well.
Think of it more as the rise of a new champion in Daniela, not a fall of an old one, in Hingis.

Simon

Grice
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:19 AM
i'm not a Hingis supporter but i certainly think it's absurd to say that she'll drop out of the top100... unless she gets seriously injured ...
even Sabatini at the end of her career was hovering in the top 10...

Williams Rulez
Mar 17th, 2002, 06:24 AM
There is too much drama around here!! :rolleyes:

Martina just lost 1 final. She didn't lose in round 1 ten times in a row! And reaching the finals is already a great feat. Only 2 people in any draw can reach the finals, hence if you do make the finals, you are usually the 2nd best player in the draw. If you are, how is that gonna make you drop out of the top 100? :rolleyes:

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Go Marti!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Crazy Canuck
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:59 AM
The only way that Martina will fall out of the top 100 is if she only plays one tournament over the next 52 weeks. In which case she would no longer have a ranking :)

Even falling out of the top ten is a big exxageration IMO - people were saying two years ago that Hingis would fall out of the top 10 by now, and last time I checked, she was still kicking around in the top three.

NO she isnt the best player in the world anymore, and NO she doesn't dominate like in 1997 - but who cares? It doesn't mean she is not a great player, and it certaintly doesn't mean that one should kick her for it.

All things said, Hingis has had the best year out of anyone on the tour not named Capriati this year so far - and she has been more consistent that Jenn, but Jenn won the slam so she has her beat :)

Damage
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Well i was sad to see her lose... and i cant help but say that if she doesnt get her act together she wont win a grandslam and wont be in the top 5...not even 10... hope this match that she lost gives her incentive to work even harder and that she wil pick up the peices one by one, so that she will be one of the dominant players or the most dominant player as she once was...
Laters..:sad:

hugetennisfan
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Good grief, people, get a grip! :rolleyes:

Martina lost a tennis match to an excellent player in Daniela, who is clearly on her way up. Life goes on. No one was carrying on this much when Jennifer lost to Alex, or Venus to Sandrine, etc.

So everyone relax, the sun will rise tomorrow and the next day and so on... :)

irma
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
I think she will never win a match again, what a disgrace on court she is, all because of one match in a final!
doesn`t she have most points on the ranking based on this year(so what does that say about the others)?

MartianJoeyWinson
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Hurley got it half right, I think it was five pints too many.

Spent virtually all day in the pub, other than watching Belper beat Kendal 2-1 and the great news Derby beat Bolton 3-1, I was feeling really happy, bought a few tinnies, had a night in front of the telly, having a curry... everything was just fine as I entered a utopia that can only be fuelled by excessive alcohol consumption. I stumbled into my kitchen to get another can and a bag of crisps (quavers), sat down, turned on the computer. Then found out Martina had lost. The paradise I was in had long faded, and a deep red mist descended before my very eyes.

Therefore I decided to spout forth complete bollocks by creating this thread.

Sorry :p

GO MARTI! NOT EVEN 14 PINTS CAN STOP ME SUPPORTING YOU :)

(I'm still p*ssed off about the defeat, so no taunting please, otherwise I go back to looking like this :fiery: )

GoDominique
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:06 PM
fkhung, you are a stupid ass to bump all these old threads, so please stop it. :smash:

OTOH, congrats Joey ! ;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:09 PM
GO KIM....
dont let those monkeys get their banada...:)
can someone ban this jerk already? Really you must feel quite inadequate to attack people you dont even know.

Experimentee
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:16 PM
GO KIM....
dont let those monkeys get their banada...:)

How is he allowed to make all these different accounts and post nothing but crap with them? Cant they ban his IP or something? :mad:

-Sonic-
Aug 9th, 2003, 05:00 PM
lol at everyones comments so long ago though....

Vincent
Aug 9th, 2003, 06:19 PM
I was wondering why the replies are so strange, oops, it was 9869834576 years ago.:yawn:

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Okay, now I'm available for psychic readings by the looks of things.

Jamie
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Martina will ALWAYS be # 1 in my list.