PDA

View Full Version : I used to hate Hewitt and now I love him!!!

treufreund
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Lleyton used to be such a brat like my fave Martina Hingis (yes she was a brat but I still loved her :D) and I always rooted against him. I think he has matured a lot since he made that comment at the US Open and he is showing a lot of respect for great players in his interview. Not to mention that HIS GAME IS NEARLY IMPENETRABLE. He combined excellent controlled aggression with nearly perfect, frustrating defense. Watching him play is ALMOST as good as watching my Martina.

NOTE TO KIM CLIJSTERS: Start making only 12 unforced errors in a match like Lleyton and you will be much much better.

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:44 PM
I felt the same way......but I just love his game.....so much similar to Martina's! Very smart tennis!

treufreund
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:49 PM
He is very very smart AND crafty. The only advantage he has on Martina is a little bit more reach but maybe SLIGTHLY less feel and only slightly. I think his passing shots are just UNBELIEVABLE! He seems to have the answer for almost everything you throw at him and I LIKE THAT!!!

If he is playing against my faves I still root against him but I have started to really like him and especially his game.

JonBcn
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:55 PM
I´ve never been able to stand him! In fact, he puts me off cheering for Kim!!

treufreund
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:05 PM
I know he is REALLY unpopular in Spain because of his antics and some things he said against Spaniards. He has done a lot of immature things saying "fucking Spaniards" but I attribute a lot of that to his fiery personality (which incidentally has been what made him #1. Capriati has that aspect too. Not all champions are fiery but certainly McEnroe, Navratilova, Safin, Hingis, Pam Shriver (ooh was she fiery!!) Novotna,Connors, Capriati, Hewitt, Henin, Serena Williams, Boris Becker, Kafelnikov, Goran Ivanisevic, Gustavo Kuerten (often laid back but can really get pumped up) and Agassi have all been fiery.)

The other archetype is the chilly champion: Steffi Graf(the fire just beneath the surface), Venus Williams, Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl, Arthur Ashe, Bjorn Borg, Edberg, Monica Seles

Justin
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:15 PM
It's not hard to show the appearance of respect when a player in winning but, at least imo,he has a long, long, long way to go to make up for his racist comments in the past. His actions were nothing less than downright shameful.

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Hewitt never made racist comments. It's just the media and idiots distorting his comments. :rolleyes:

treufreund
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:31 PM
What does Hewitt have to do to make up for it? Ask yourself if your mind is truly ready to forgive. It was an ugly comment but it was also blown out of proportion too. People sometimes think stupid things under pressure. James Blake moved on. Why can't other people let that go? I absolutely do not believe that Lleyton is a racist. Actually Lleyton was accusing the linesman of being biased against him. He may have unfairly accused the linesman of bias which was wrong but I think a lot of players who rightly or wrongly BELIEVE that the same linesman OVER AND OVER was giving you the bad call might jump to that conclusion. Lleyton learned from that incident I believe but to say that accusing someone else UNFAIRLY of racism makes a person racist then HALF OF THIS BOARD ARE RACISTS. Many people on this board constantly play the race card so according to what you are saying then they themselves are the racists.

Shuji Shuriken
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:14 PM
I like Hewitt as a competitor. I like his style of play and his ability to run down any ball. The guy is relentless. But that's as far as it goes. His almost childish attitude is a real turn-off for me. He hasn't impressed me much as a person. That's one of the reasons i am crushed when he beats Agassi who is one of my all time faves.:wavey: :wavey:

Viva
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Are you people fucking God or something? Your not perfect so what gives you the right to condemn someone else? Hypocritical.

By the way - In spain, the Spainiard crowd weren't exactly angels. They booed EVERY time an Aussie did a fault, double fault, unforced error or if an Aussie won a point they'd boo - loudly! They even did this to the "respectable" Pat Rafter. Don't think that the crowd didn't provoke him. The crowd acted appaullingly.

JonBcn
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
I know he is REALLY unpopular in Spain because of his antics and some things he said against Spaniards. He has done a lot of immature things saying "fucking Spaniards" but I attribute a lot of that to his fiery personality (which incidentally has been what made him #1.

I´d forgotten about that, actually. I was at the Davis Cup match and I knew I disliked him before that, but that was what cemented it. Fist shaking and so on is fine to motivate yourself, but dont direct it at your opponent, its just rude.
One reason I´ve never liked Agassi was his behaviour at a Davis Cup match against the Swiss years ago, screaming foul language from the bench, and was heard to remark something stupid about them not being in the alps now...I cant remember exactly, maybe someone else knows.
So fiery personality yes - all players are passionate about their sport, but from some players it comes across as an offensive demonstration of their inability to express themselves. Look at McEnroe - the guys a pantomime - I hope Hewitt never gets like that, and to his credit, he seems to be learning.

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:22 PM
As long as he keeps beating Sampras, I'm totally fine with him.

Sampras-beating is the quickest way in the world to get on my good side. :D

rhz
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:23 PM
I still think he's a brat:fiery: :fiery:

JonBcn
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Viva
what gives you the right to condemn someone else?

The crowd acted appaullingly.

Um...ok. I agree with you about the crowd, but as you´ve just demonstrated yourself, everyone has an opinion and a right to express it.

Mazza
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:36 PM
I really do wish people would just forgive and forget about the incident, yes Lleyton has said lots of crap in the past but he has learned from what he has said and has become a more mature person...he's not perfect but who is?! All players say things they shouldn't -thats life!
I think Lleyton's fiery attitude on court is great- I mean could you imagine Lleyton being tottaly the oppsite and being calm with no fist pumping, no emotion?! He wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for his "never giving up" attitude.
And also his game, he's not the biggest of guys on the tour, weight wise and height wise but thoes legs and the fact they could go on for days and his return of serve is one the best on the tour, second best to Agassi and see him now, he's had health problems first with his breathing and just recently chicken pox but he has always given 100%
And if he still hasn't impressed anyone......just look at him off-court, he's well spoken, polite and his love for Kim :hearts: plus he got rid of that awful ponytail :) (Thank you kim!)

Justin
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Maybe we don't read things the same way Scotso, but when a hothead turns to he ump and says, "look at him (a black linesman) and look at him (a black opponent) and tell me what the similarity is" -it really is not a stretch to say that it is a racist comment. What the hell else do you think he was talking about? The fact that both are men, or both were on a tennis court at the same time? Obviously not and it is completely and totally unreasonable to act as if he was not trying to say that the linesman was deliberately miscalling shots to help a black player. I don't need the media to help me along that line of thinking. :rolleyes:

Treufreund, Leyton doesn't have to do anything. I am not harping on it by any stretch. I brought it up in the context of one's personal feelings for the man. I surely do not go from thread to thread and discuss Leyton. In fact, this is the first time I have ever uttered his name since I joined here months ago. And, if you really buy the idea that Leyton was trying to act as if he was victim of racism on the day he played Blake then we are simply never going to agree- which is fine. I do not hate Leyton as a person. I do, think that he makes ignorant comments sometimes and is a hothead. For those reasons, I am not a fan of his. Despite what Viva says, I am not condemning the man. I am simply not a fan of his antics. And, never once did I call him a racist (nor did I say he was not a racist). I did say that he made a racist comment. No more, no less.

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Get your hearing checked.

The comment was "look at him, look at him" a repetitive comment toward to linesperson. He was saying that the linesperson was the same one that made the other bad calls.

And personally I think it's funny you're criticizing Hewitt when you have a picture of Andy Roddick in your avatar :rolleyes:

Viva
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:57 PM
I agree with Scotso.

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:00 AM
treufreund and cmon_kim01 thank you for your positive comments on Lleyton... YAY! Lleyton fans :)

Well I think Lleyton has made some questionable comments in the past and I must agree that the whole thing at the U.S Open was pretty bad but pretty much everybody, including James, got over that so I think everybody else should too! I think most of Lleyton's comments have just come in the heat of competition and believe me, in the heat of competition you can say things you don't mean, I know from experience :(

And like cmon_kim01 said, if you see the way Lleyton acts off court there is nothing wrong with him. With the media and stuff he has always been really polite and stuff and with Kim he is just so sweet. That's what really attracted me to Lleyton in the beginning!!

And Scotso, please do not start with this Andy stuff again!

Justin
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:13 AM
I don't know what to say to you Scotso except that you are simply wrong if you think that I got the comment wrong. Maybe you should go back and check the tape.

I also don't understand your Andy Roddick comment but, to tell you the truth, I couldn't care less what you personally find funny.

Justin
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:38 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/in_depth/2001/us_open_tennis/newsid_1520000/1520183.stm

Hewitt caught in race row

Lleyton Hewitt has denied making a racist comment during his five-set victory over American James Blake on Friday.

The Australian complained to umpire Andres Egli and asked for a black linesman to be moved after being called for two foot-faults in the third set.

"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

"You put him off the court, get him off the court."

Hewitt was asked about the incident after the match and vehemently denied that the remark was racist.

"I don't think I said anything racial out there," said Hewitt. "It was a conversation between me and the umpire.

"I come from a multicultural country. I'm not racial in any way at all. People can have their own opinions. That was between me and the umpire. There was nothing racial said out there at all."
Blake did not see it that way but refused to condemn his opponent.

"He said there was a similarity between the line judge and myself," said Blake. "My reaction was to try to win the match.
"It did bother me a little bit but I figured that it was in the heat of the moment when he's fighting out there and not thinking about being politically correct. "I hope he didn't mean anything derogatory by it but I can't speak for him. I hope he didn't mean it in a racist way.

"If he has racial problems, he has to be the one to deal with that.

"I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has this me against the world attitude that makes him play better.

"That's how he gets pumped up. I tried not to let it mar the match.

"I don't like to slam other players. I want to put it in the past and move on."

US Open tournament referee Brian Early said the USTA and the International Tennis Federation "will review the videotape, speak with all parties involved and issue a statement at the appropriate time."

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:52 AM
I feel the same with Hewitt. I didn't really like him before, but now I want him to win every single tournament...and it's not because I'm Australian...;)

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:42 AM
MaRKy MaRk you are so lucky!! I've always wanted to live in Australia... too bad I'm stuck in Canada for now :(

Scotso
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Did I not say the media was the one that blew it out of proportion? I heard it, there was no "and." I saw it, there was no pointing at Blake. You can post articles until the sun goes nova and that doesn't change the fact that I saw what I saw and heard what I heard.

nikita771
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:51 AM
I actually don't like him at all....but I like Henman even less - so I'm rooting for Hewitt to win tomorrow.

AUSBOY
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Scotso is 100% right!!

There was no "AND"

The media invented that and printed it in articles like the stupid one that you just posted.

If there was an "AND" do you think the ITF would clear him of all allegations and not even charge him a fine????????

If there had been an "AND" and pointing that would have been blatent racism and I would agree with you, BUT that never happened, only the media invented that part. Frustrating that so many tennis fans believe everything the Media prints!

And Hewitt had everyone reason to hate Spain after what they did!! They were squealing out just as he was about to hit every ball, every serve, they even threw stuff onto the court, especially at the changeover. I remember seeing him get hit in the back with a drink bottle. And too Hewitt's amazing credit he was able to miraculously block all that out, (God only knows how) and win his rubber! I still today can't fathom how he did that!

Hewitt is the nicest guy on the tour off the court, even nice than Rafter! Sure he pump's his fist on court, but thats how he stays focused, its the same with Monica! Her grunts help keep her focused on her shots. You can't begrudge someone cos they have different methods of keeping themselves focused on court

juggler
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Hewitt sorry after stray shot hits ballgirl
By Eleanor Preston

Click to enlarge photo

INDIAN WELLS, California (Reuters) - Lleyton Hewitt was quick to comfort a ballgirl after hitting her with a stray forehand during his 6-4 6-4 quarter-final win over Swede Thomas Enqvist at the $2.95 million Indian Wells Masters.

The world No. 1 may have been ruthless in his defeat of Enqvist, but he was quick to comfort Jessica Walls after he accidentally struck the 13-year-old in the face with a forehand which cannoned off the net post.

"I miscued it a little bit," said Hewitt afterwards. "It was unfortunate, with the angles, it came off and sconned her (hit her on the head)."

The Australian immediately apologised to the ballgirl and checked that she was okay before resuming the match.

"I just asked her how she was," explained Hewitt. "She looked like she had a delayed reaction a little bit. First off when it had hit her, I don't think she realised quite what had happened, then she probably felt the pain.

"I think she was trying to hold back the tears on national

TV."

Brave Jessica, despite sporting a bright red mark where the ball hit her on the chin, resumed her duties for the rest of the match.

Hewitt look time to meet the local teenager in the Players Centre afterwards and signed a hat for her.

LucasArg
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:32 AM
He is not my fave in men. But the way he beat Sampras today was amazing.

He is the best player right now. :wavey:

gokimmie
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:43 AM
I think we schould all take Kim's wod for it,lol,she's very smart and down to earth,and she loves him,so he must be ok.......;)
Just kidding,I think Lleyton is a total different person of court,and even then....i kinda like it...:p :p :p

Justin
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Jeez :rolleyes:

Um, Scotso, with or without the “and” if he is not making for a comparison then why is he asking for a "similarity" between two things? I guess it is kinda funny to watch you grasp at straws, though. Jesus, and to think people were saying I couldn't let this die.

Now, stop acting like a friggin Princess because you are getting real irritating, real fast. You can just say that you like Leyton without trying to act as if he was vilified in the media.

Hermione
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:40 PM
I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him x10000000000000000000000000000:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
God, I am so obsessed! My friends get really annoyed with me talking about him so much but I LOVE HIM!!

Scotso
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:49 PM
And your argument falls apart so you resort to personal attacks. Typical. :rolleyes:

Chance
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:12 AM
I agree with Justin.

Hewitt 's a great player, he has beaten nearly every top player.
I don't believe he is a racist..he played with Serena mixed doubles at the 1998 AUS OPEN so I don't see him as a racist.....but people who arn't racist can still say ignorant/racist comments, without even realizing it....that's what hewitt did.....it's hard to erase some comments from peoples mind..it takes time
:wavey:

louisa2k2
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:43 PM
hey,
i like hewitts style of play and the way he shows emotion on court, ie. shouting come on. why does this bother people so much. i was so pleased to hear how he beat henman. I find his style more exciting. I dont beleive he is a racist and i like his personality. its cool to hear positive comments about someone on a thread for a change.

aura of daniela
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Scotso
Get your hearing checked.

The comment was "look at him, look at him" a repetitive comment toward to linesperson. He was saying that the linesperson was the same one that made the other bad calls.

And personally I think it's funny you're criticizing Hewitt when you have a picture of Andy Roddick in your avatar :rolleyes:

Yes, that is true. That little word 'and' can make a big difference in the way what Hewitt said can be taken.
But he definitely did say, "Look at him, Look at him and tell me what the similarity is?", like scotso said, Hewitt was pointing out that it was the same linesmen who made both bad calls.
But these day, you have to watch anything that could be consider racist. It's a bit of a joke really.
I have never disrespected someone because of there nationality, in fact, I try to stop my mates doing so, but it doesnt work.
Actually, it has been since that incident last year that I began to look at Hewitt for his game, not his attitude, I actually was so jealous of his talents previous to that, that I disliked him a lot. But now, I consider him the smartest player on the tour.
He will dominate, I repeat, dominate, (again like hewitt said) the Men's tour. He is the best by far at the moment when he is fully fit.

Simon

aura of daniela
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Justin
Jeez :rolleyes:

Um, Scotso, with or without the “and” if he is not making for a comparison then why is he asking for a "similarity" between two things? I guess it is kinda funny to watch you grasp at straws, though. Jesus, and to think people were saying I couldn't let this die.

Now, stop acting like a friggin Princess because you are getting real irritating, real fast. You can just say that you like Leyton without trying to act as if he was vilified in the media.

I have to back up scotso here.
The comment about 'similarity' was because he was comparing the two calls you 'goose'.

Now I'm not one to usually defend what Hewitt says, in fact, when he first said it, I thought, you idiot, but after the storm had passed, I found it obvious that what he what comparing was the bad line call.
But I think it's because of judgemental people like you that I thought Hewitt should keep his mouth shut, and since then, he has!

Simon

Justin
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:29 PM
LMAO

Reading is fundamental. Again, if he was asking the ump to comment on the two line calls- then, in English at least, is makes no sense to say "look at him. Look at him and tell me what the similarity is." But, I guess it is easy (and desperate, frankly) to say that the media "got it wrong."

"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

Too bad you don't have the tape, scotso. I do. But, I am sure that even if you had it, you would still be behaving ridiculously and acting as if something there in black and white (excuse the pun) didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Nimi
Mar 18th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Lleyton is the best player in the world right now.
no question, & im not a Lleyton fan, check my sig.

angele87
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Well what Lleyton said may or may not have been a racist comment but that was like months ago, i think you should get over it! James, who the comment might of been directed at, is over it so I'm pretty sure you should be too :D Oh and btw, I am a HUGE Lleyton fan!! Congrats to him for his awesome win yesterday!!

Kart
Mar 19th, 2002, 12:32 AM
LOL @ nikita771 :) - I completely agree.

Hewitt has gone up in my estimation after his complete humiliation of Henman yesterday :).

Rocketta
Mar 19th, 2002, 01:03 AM
I think people could get over the comment if...

1) he had admitted it and apologized for saying something stupid in the heat of battle and.....

2) His fans would stop rationalizing it as if it didn't happen and trying to come up with this revisionist history

Sometimes I wish Blake wasn't such a diplomat and called him on it but I can understand his position. Being one of the few African-Americans/multi-ethnic Americans on the tour, I can see how he didn't want to cause a stir and move on.

But as we know sometimes it is easier for the one offended to forgive rather than the people who observed the offense.

SerenasMelons
Mar 19th, 2002, 01:19 AM
I remember television in the U.S. replaying the tape over and over, and each time it showed what Justin has been saying. The media doesn't just make things up, and even if it did, I'm sure a knowledgeable tennis personality/commentator would have informed us of such. The claim that the media was lying is complete crap.

:rolleyes: @ Juggler, what does your news story show? If I clobbered someone with a tennis ball accidently, I would also comfort them.

There is no question that Lleyton Hewitt is the best player in the world right now. But a ranking won't change my opinion about his character. I'll never forget the comments he made.

juggler
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by SerenasMelons

:rolleyes: @ Juggler, what does your news story show? If I clobbered someone with a tennis ball accidently, I would also comfort them.

unless your name is marcelo rios

i come from hewitts home town, i see and hear alot more of what he says and does in a week than most of u people would do in a lifetime...so i believe i am in a better position to judge his character than most. im not going to explain the blake thing because its boring, and it wont change anybodies single minded attitude. needles to say the man suffers from white line fever, this causes him to sometimes carry on like and idiot and say some things he regrets...but this is also what makes him no.1.

Scotso
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:39 AM
"I remember television in the U.S. replaying the tape over and over, and each time it showed what Justin has been saying."

And you don't consider that the media?

Bottom line, you people are just jealous.

Lisbeth
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
A lot of reasonable comments have been made by both sides here. I think the central problem is that we think it's great when people have great achievements really young, but then we expect them to act like adults when they are really still kids - and kids with a lot of money and attention at that. Lleyton is growing up; so are Martina and Venus and many many others. Most 25 year olds are more mature than most 16 years olds and there's nothing wrong with that.

aura of daniela
Mar 19th, 2002, 09:30 AM
I think that the bottom line here is that everyone has probably said something in the heat of the moment that they regret and that doesn't have to be a racist comment, it could be anything. But you should hold one comment against someone for the rest of their careers. Ever since then, he hasn't said anything bad, and I have to say he has toned down the way he acts on the court now, so maybe it was a blessing.
It will be interesting how he is taken when he returns to New York, but he is the defending championship, so they should be ok.
He has already won another two titles in the US, and was really received well by the crowd, so I think they have forgotten.....Why can't you guys?

Justin
Mar 19th, 2002, 04:25 PM
That's just it. I surely am not vilifying him. But, there is a huge difference between not holding a grudge about a particular comment and pretending that it never happened even when it is caught on tape (like what Scotso likes to do).

Juggler- I think the point about questioning why you posted the story is that it has absolutely nothing to do with Hewitt's comment at the Open. The fact that Hewitt may be a standup guy in 99% of his life does not mean that he didn't make a stupid comment about 6 months ago. So, it is totally unrelated to this topic. Again, I never said that Hewitt is a racist or anything. Rather, I said he can be a hothead and did make a racist comment. Big difference.

And you don't consider that the media?

Bottom line, you people are just jealous.

Man, Scotso, now not only are there "spin doctors" in the media who, not only angle written stories about Hewitt and posture his words but there are video journalists who doctor his tapes and edit his words so that people can hear Hewitt say things that he never said. LMAO If that was the case, you can bet the ranch that Hewitt would have been all over it. But, he isn't. You are the only one making foolish arguments. If I relied on such feeble arguments as yours, I would hang my head in shame. Why can't you say, "the guy f'ed up in the heat of battle, but I am still a fan of his." It is really not difficult to say and it lets you keep your credibility- unlike what you are doing now.

juggler
Mar 20th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Juggler- I think the point about questioning why you posted the story is that it has absolutely nothing to do with Hewitt's comment at the Open. The fact that Hewitt may be a standup guy in 99% of his life does not mean that he didn't make a stupid comment about 6 months ago. So, it is totally unrelated to this topic. Again, I never said that Hewitt is a racist or anything. Rather, I said he can be a hothead and did make a racist comment. Big difference.

lol..haha thats quite hailarious, check the title of the thread mate. the article merely adds support to the original posters thoughts. The "racist" comments were never brought into this until u had your 2 cents, and last time i checked u werent the one who started the thread.

Man, Scotso, now not only are there "spin doctors" in the media who, not only angle written stories about Hewitt and posture his words but there are video journalists who doctor his tapes and edit his words so that people can hear Hewitt say things that he never said. LMAO If that was the case, you can bet the ranch that Hewitt would have been all over it. But, he isn't. You are the only one making foolish arguments. If I relied on such feeble arguments as yours, I would hang my head in shame. Why can't you say, "the guy f'ed up in the heat of battle, but I am still a fan of his." It is really not difficult to say and it lets you keep your credibility- unlike what you are doing now.

50% say one thing 50% say another, its how you want to interpret it. the only one who knows is hewitt, and he denied it...so hes a lier as well to 50%

Scotso
Mar 20th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Justin, I have no shame. You're the one that is buying into all the bullshit that occurred.

Justin
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Justin, I have no shame.

That's exactly the problem, scotso. You have no shame. Glad you see it that way, too. You say the most ludicrous things when they are against the weight of all the evidence out there. You actually go as far as "tape doctoring" and a "conspiracy theory." Pull yourself together, man. It's insulting to even your own intelligence.

First, you tell me that my hearing needed to be checked… then you say that, I heard correctly but the tape was doctored by the big, bad powerful media who is out to get Hewitt (who, btw, was nowhere close to #1 when he made these comments- and not a target of the media at all). You are all over the logic spectrum to try to rationalize something that was a mistake. Call it what it is- a mistake. It’s not hard.

Juggler- "this topic" as in Hewitt's US Open remarks. Try not to be even more irritating. You know perfectly well what I meant.

As for... 50% say this, 50% say that.... the problem is that 50% are wrong. 50% are making reasonable, direct observations while the other 50% are saying there is video editing going on (nothing less than calling the powers-that-be at CBS criminals) in this elaborate effort to make Hewitt look bad. I tend to support the side where there is a friggin videotape evidencing exactly what "50%" say. If you want to put blinders on, be my guest.

Clearly, you two are foaming at the mouth to have the last word. It's all yours. At least the reasonable people out there understand what happened. I hope you two wake up at some point.

I'm out.

treufreund
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:47 PM
What about what I wrote earlier?

The fact that what Lleyton did was to UNFAIRLY ACCUSE the linesman of bias/racism. That is not RACISM on Lleyton's part. It's INJUSTICE. Why is it that nowadays in the English language we are using the word RACISM for other sins. Accusing someone (the linesman) of being biased is an attack on the character of the linesman, questioning his integrity, not because Hewitt thought that dark-skinned linesman PER SE, I repeat, PER SE, are biased but because he believed the linesman had something against him because he was white. FOLKS: Racism is terrible but NOT THE ONLY FORM OR IMMORALITY. Injustly accusing someone (whether it be a linesman or accusing POSTERS ON THIS BOARD) of racism without proof is also WRONG and UNFAIR.

Lleyton made a bad MISTAKE in JUDGMENT. The same linesman was over and over making bad calls. In the case of Jennifer Capriati in Oz Open final she was screaming "I want him out , I want him out" and using expletives because she was losing it and felt that he was BIASED against her or INCOMPETENT. Lleyton, unfortunately and without proof, took Jennifer's situation and saw the skin color of the man and ASSUMED that the man was
BIASED in favor of the dark-skinned player. Richard Williams also assumed that all Australians are racist when he weighed in on the matter. That's also an unfair GENERALIZATION which a lot of people on this board get very upset about. Hopefully Lleyton has LEARNED from his mistake and moved on. In life we make mistakes and then we apologize (as he did to James and the linesman) and then we are FORGIVEN and then we MOVE ON.

GogoGirl
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Hewitt's leap to prominence drops him into game of his life
Go Rocky, go: Lleyton Hewitt is pumped after another winner against Tim Henman. Photo: Al Bello/Getty Images
Whether Lleyton Hewitt claims a place in history will depend on how he develops as a man, writes Bill Dwyre in Indian Wells, California.

He is the present and future of men's tennis. He is blue-eyed, blond, wears his cap backward, says "mate" and "bloody" a lot and looks as if he'd be perfect in the Winter Olympic halfpipe.

Like it or not, Lleyton Hewitt, who made a shambles of Tim Henman in the Indian Wells Masters on Sunday, is the leader of the new generation of the sport. He is young and tireless and quick and plays with no conscience or fear, things that creep into one's game with age and soreness.

The ATP tour has been running an ad campaign for the past few years titled "New balls please". It was an attempt to promote the newcomers and was taken by some as a slap at Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, veterans who had done so much for tennis and weren't exactly playing as if they were ready to buy Florida condos and play golf five days a week.

Now, it appears that the only sin the ATP committed with its campaign was starting a year or so early.

Hewitt is here. He is the leader of the pack that includes Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Marat Safin, Juan Carlos Ferrero, James Blake and Mardy Fish and a few more we haven't heard enough from yet to know.

If you tend to cling to the past, get over it. (Where have you gone, Pete and Andre? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.)

The 1990s were wonderful for tennis, but the '90s are over. Certainly, there are moments left for Sampras and Agassi, but not as many as there are for the likes of Hewitt.

There are a lot of things to say about Hewitt's 6-1 6-2 trouncing of Englishman Henman, a very fine player who must have felt as if he got hit by a truck.

Henman's main weapon is his serve-and-volley game. He didn't hold serve once in the first set.

Henman approached the net 38 times and lost the point 20 of those times. Henman won only 39 points, Hewitt 61.

Hewitt had five double faults and 19 unforced errors and none of that mattered in the least.

In past years, the final in this event was always best-of-five sets. Television this year dictated it to be best-of-three. For once, television got it right, even though the estimated crowd of 12,000 - on a day when the weather was warm-and-blue Palm Springs picture postcard stuff - kept pushing Henman to extend the match. Sadly, another set would have been cruel and unusual punishment for the 27-year-old from London.

Hewitt is world No1 and he's not just hanging on to that rank.

"The scary thing is," Henman said, "he'll probably improve."

Since he demolished Sampras in last year's US Open final, 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 6-1, Hewitt has run up a 33-4 record, including his past 11 in a row, a title match in San Jose two weeks ago against Agassi and a 6-2 6-4 win over Sampras here.

Watching Hewitt's dissection of Henman, No11 in the world, made it clear that Sampras and Agassi are still pretty good.

Agassi had two match points on Hewitt in the San Jose final, a three-setter, and Sampras, playing in a swirling wind that destroys his service toss, was much more in contention than Henman.

But there is no denying the current air of invincibility about Hewitt, who will be huge favourite to win the next tour stop at Miami, which is, like Indian Wells, one of the ATP's nine Tennis Masters Series events.

Nor is there any denying that, despite the excellence of his back-court game and the lure of his invincibility, Hewitt has a way to go before he invades the public consciousness like Sampras and Agassi and those before them. Hewitt has one grand slam title, the thing that ultimately counts most in tennis. Sampras has 13, Agassi seven.

Getting there is a process. The more Hewitt wins, the more he is exposed to the press and the public. How he handles himself in those situations will go a long way toward determining his legacy.

Right now, he has a tennis game and little image beyond that. But at 21, neither Sampras nor Agassi, nor many tennis players, were ready for the cover of Time magazine.

The veterans of this sport, the ones who leave the best memories, are reminiscent of the famous line once written about an aging athlete who had mishandled public relations until the twilight of his career. Of him, it was written: "He didn't learn to say hello until it was time to say goodbye."

Hewitt's future is the great sports cliche. It is all ahead of him. He has the athletic skills, the drive, even the apparent toughness and strength despite being 1.8m and 68kg.

Learning to say hello has nothing to do with backhands and forehands, but everything to do with his place in the future of tennis. As the leader of the new pack, here's hoping Hewitt figures that part out as well as he has his cross-court angles.

Los Angeles Times

gogetter
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Great analysis and post, treufreund. I agree with everything you said. The "R" word gets thrown around way too much these days because it's such a hot button. But it would serve everyone well to really examine the behavior to make sure it fits.

treufreund
Mar 21st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Gracias Gogetter. Good to know someone read it. :D

gentenaire
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
I agree completely, Truefruend.

When people accuse an American judge for giving an American more points, for example, it doesn't mean they're against Americans. Is the accusation an anti-American comment? NO, it's an anti-favouratism comment.

Lleyton thought the linesman was making more favourable calls for Blake because he's of the same race. Does that mean that Lleyton has a problem with black people? NO! Does that make him a racist? NO! Is that comment a racist comment? NO

Rocketta
Mar 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tine
I agree completely, Truefruend.

When people accuse an American judge for giving an American more points, for example, it doesn't mean they're against Americans. Is the accusation an anti-American comment? NO, it's an anti-favouratism comment.

Lleyton thought the linesman was making more favourable calls for Blake because he's of the same race. Does that mean that Lleyton has a problem with black people? NO! Does that make him a racist? NO! Is that comment a racist comment? NO

They question is why would he assume the guy would favor blake just because he's black?? Maybe because Lleyton favors people by their color and thought thats what everyone does?? I don't know but I find it funny that the one time (maybe happend more but I doubt it) he plays against a black player and a black line judge he accuses the judge of playing race favorites!!! That is wrong and it shows to me that Lleyton has some deep routed backwards ideas of people not like him.

Nobody wants to talk about the fact that Lleyton has no reason to suspect the guy of favoritism. Everybody gets bad line calls at sometime. That was probably the first time he ever encountered a black player and a black line judge at the same time. I mean they were both americans and nobody seems to think he was implying that is why the guy was favoring blake. That might be because all Lleyton saw was two black men and they obviously had to know each other and were colluding to keep him from winning what was rightfully his. :rolleyes: Sugar coat it all you want. Cheer for him all you want. He showed his true beliefs on that court. It was the most disrespectful thing I have seen in a long time. Thats why some people will not get over it and will never respect him as a person who plays tennis.

angele87
Mar 21st, 2002, 05:39 PM
Ok fine Rocketta, you don't like Lleyton and that's fine with me. I like Lleyton, in fact, he's my favorite player on the ATP and didn't really like the comment he made at the U.S Open but I don't believe in hating somebody forever because of one immature comment so I got over it!!