PDA

View Full Version : Leona Naess, Nerina Pallot, Carina Round

MLF
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:50 PM
These ladies are three artists I've been reading very good things about and I like the sound of what I hear.
Any fans of any of them at hand to give a bit more info on style and sound.
I already have Leona's debut album Comatised which is good so does anyone have the follow up?

thefreedesigner
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:55 PM
I'm interested too! :)

A friend of mind was beating me to death about how good Carina Round is, and I can't move for Nerina Pallot, she was at V2 last year I think (pray God, I have the right woman!)

:)

MLF
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:19 PM
I suppose I should download some of their stuff first but I'd like to hear some opinions. I haven't heard anything negative said about these three. But if they wanna mix it with my fave gals Polly, Tori, Heather and Bjork they're going to have to be pretty special!

sartrista7
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Right, I've heard stuff from all three so can give you an expert opinion.

Leona Naess - I got Comatised as well (v cheaply) but really wasn't that impressed - it all seemed a bit lightweight. I ended up selling it without MDing any of the songs, though I do remember at least one good one. But it was all very forgettable, and the lyrics weren't up to much.

Nerina Pallot - is dreadful. Imagine an Alanis Morissette with all the lunatic edges sanitised away, but with appalling psychobabble intact. She called her album Dear Frustrated Superstar (hmm, not too many echoes of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie then) and one of the songs appears, horrifyingly and cringingly, to be addressed to Billie Piper.

Carina Round - is absolutely amazing. I hear lots of new music nowadays and it's rare that something blows me away like this, but from the opening chords of 'Message To Apollo' your jaw just drops. Only one mini-album so far, The First Blood Mystery, but it's stunning. Breathtaking vocal range and versatility - one minute it's PJ Harvey-style aggression and intensity, the next as heart-breakingly tender as Jeff Buckley (both of whom are the two main comparisons). Lyrically it's emotional stream-of-consciousness with some fantastic images. Only three albums better in 2001 (Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia, the White Stripes, Tori Amos). She *will* produce better stuff than anything on ...Mystery, just like Tori would go on to trump Little Earthquakes several times over with Pele, Choirgirl and Venus, but it's still an incendiary debut. Definitely a recommendation. If you want to download stuff, 'Message To Apollo' (dirty jazz chords, strutting beats, the most amazing scat-singing in the history of music), 'Lightbulb Song' (bug-eyed intensity) and 'How I See It' (gorgeous, lilting torch ballad) are the best - also check out 'On Leaving', it's the 7-minute closer to the LP and ends with the most primal roar since Tori's live version of 'The Waitress'.

MLF
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:38 PM
I'll definitely check out Carina. The Times raved about her too and anyone who gets cast favourably against the genious of Ms Harvey is definitely worth some of MY attention.

Still haven't heard Nerina. I'm downloading a Sneaker Pimps remix of her single Patience. I haven't heard anything yet though I think you're the first person who I've heard really dislike her so much. I have to admit that her album title did put me off a bit and really if she's from Alanis' lyrics school I'm going to have to stay away.

As for Leona, I got Comatised for US$4.99 which is a snip! As a whole album it's OK but there are some great guitar edged pop tracks on there e.g Charm Attack, Anything and New York Baby.

By the way I downloaded some Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton who are receiving much media attention. I find them terrifyingly bad.

sartrista7
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Charm Attack - I remember, I think that was the one I liked. I've heard Very Bad Things about Michelle Branch... being into female singer-songwriters is dangerous, because they'll either be the most stunning talent ever (Carina Round, Thea Gilmore) or cringingly bad (Nerina Pallot, Joan Osborne).

Incidentally, check out Thea Gilmore. Very good indeed.

Holden
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Hi MirjanaLfan,

I actually bought "comatised" pretty soon after "Charm Attack" was a (little) hit in Belgium and I absolutely loved the album. For me it was one of the best of 2000. I love Lazy days, charm Attack, Anything, Comatised, All I want, New York Baby & Chose Family.

So, when I heard she had a new album, I couldn't wait till it was released in Belgium and bought it from Amazon over the holidays. Since I had such high expectations after loving "comatised" so much, I was a bit disappointed. "I tried to rock you, but you only roll"' does contain several tracks similar to those guitar pop tracks on "comatised", like "Mayor of this town", "Mexico", "Blue eyed Baby" & the title song (however, this is sort of the problem for me, she hasn't really evolved as a singer/songwriter it seems). Another minus on the album are the ballads, where there were (IMHO) a few good ballads on her debut, the ones on her second album are uninspired and anything but gripping. A more positive note though is that she (or her producer) put a disco beat under some of the songs, like "All the stars" and "Boys like you"...which I like a lot ;-) But for me the album could've stopped at song number 8 (out of 12).

I think the rating from rollingstone.com at the time was pretty accurate -I think they give it 2 or 2.5 stars out of 5-. I personally would give it 3 stars or 4 if it was her debut. So, by and large if you really love "comatised" and disco beats under guitar-based songs, then yeah...you should buy it -I think- :-)

The other 2 i never heard of, but will definitely check'em out

thefreedesigner
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Bought the Carina Round album... Hmmm.

It's terrible to comment after one listen, BUT I will anyway (and will stand corrected should I change my mind, or have my mind changed for me):

both Pooka and Fiona Apple do much better jobs. That's not to say I'm not interested in her, but first impressions say a lot I think.

And the most immediate track lyrically is very boring musically. Perhaps that's the charm of the thing.

Oh, I'm sure I'll live to regret those words!

sartrista7
Mar 19th, 2002, 12:14 PM
thefreedesigner - Oh, you will regret those words. *grins evilly*

Seriously, I can definitely see how it would be a grower - the tunes aren't very immediate, and stylistically it doesn't shock you. I don't see where the Fiona Apple comparisons are coming from though - Fiona barely belongs in the 'rock' genre at all, as both her voice and arrangements are heavily jazz-influenced. Both Carina and Fiona use complex arrangements, but Fiona's are polished and smooth whereas Carina's are more ramshackle and lo-fi.
Pooka - a bit more similar, but Carina has an emotional intensity which Pooka lack.