PDA

View Full Version : Combs Ordered to Pay $35,000 a Month Child Support

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Combs Ordered to Pay $35,000 a Month Child Support

Tue Oct 5, 7:27 PM ET
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/my/addtomyyahoo3.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/addtomy/*http://add.my.yahoo.com/content?id=6182&.src=yn&.done=http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26cid=765%26e=3%26u=/nm/20041005/people_nm/people_combs_dc) Entertainment - Reuters Celebrity/Gossip (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/addtomy/*http://add.my.yahoo.com/content?id=6182&.src=yn&.done=http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26cid=765%26e=3%26u=/nm/20041005/people_nm/people_combs_dc)

By Jeanne King

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hip-hop mogul Sean Combs was ordered to pay $35,000 a month in child support for the 10-year-old son he had with fashion stylist Misa Brim, according to a court ruling made public on Tuesday.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041004/t/r1438612137.jpg (javascript: rs()
Reuters (javascript: rs() http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/auctions/cam.gifSlideshow: P. Diddy (javascript: rs()

Combs, also known now as P. Diddy and formerly as Puff Daddy (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Puff%0ADaddy%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw) - web sites (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-storylinks&p=Puff%20Daddy)), got the news in a 13-page decision by Westchester County Family Court Judge David Klein, who upheld an earlier ruling.

The judge in the earlier case set the monthly amount based on a yearly income for Combs of $50 million and Klein said he had not presented sufficient evidence that his income was less than that to warrant lowering the support.

Klein said that Combs must also pay more than $398,000 in retroactive support as well as all medical, dental and education expenses for his son, Justin.

Combs was ordered to maintain a life insurance policy and to pay $60,000 in legal fees to Brim's attorney.

"This is a gross abuse of discretion by the court. We are confident it will be overturned on appeal," Combs' lawyer, Stephen Gassman, said.

"This is not about child support, it's about adult support. Any increase in support will be likely utilized to enhance Misa Brim and her two other children's lifestyle rather than in any way benefit Mr. Combs' already well provided for son," he added.

Klein upheld an August 2004 ruling by Support Magistrate Carol James for $35,000 monthly child support, which is believed to be the highest court-ordered monthly payment in the country, according to Brim's lawyer, Brett Kimmel.

Combs' lawyers argued that a 1996 agreement between the parties when his son was 2 years old set monthly support at $2,795, dropped to $1,290 after the boy's 14th birthday.

The judge said that over the years, Combs had raised the support payments to $5,512 a month.

Klein said Combs provided "scant" information about his income, including a reported income of $800,000 in 1996 and a 2002 federal tax return showing income of $16 million.

Brim testified that Combs had boasted at various times of earning $50 million a year, of being a billionaire and of paying about $35,000 a month in support for another son and buying an expensive home for that child, Klein said.

"In the absence of evidence to the contrary ...the Support Magistrate (James) concluded" that Combs was capable of meeting the support request of Brim for $35,000 a month," said Klein.

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:45 AM
damn....:eek:

$35,000 that's way more than people make in a year. Should women really be able to hit the lotto just cause they got pregnant? Besides provided a house, food and clothing does anyone think the mother will then put the money away for her child so when he gets older in life he'll have money for college or anything? :confused:

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:48 AM

$35,000 that's way more than people make in a year. Should women really be able to hit the lotto just cause they got pregnant? Besides provided a house, food and clothing does anyone think the mother will then put the money away for her child so when he gets older in life he'll have money for college or anything? :confused:
I thought Kim Porter was getting 35G's also?? If she's getting it then why would he think the courts would slight his other child??

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:52 AM
I thought Kim Porter was getting 35G's also?? If she's getting it then why would he think the courts would slight his other child??
She might be getting it but I guarantee you it's because she is his girlfriend, ie he's taking care of her and the kid....but I don't think it's court apointed. I read somewhere else that this mother already has a salary of $300,000 a year...:eek:

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:55 AM
She might be getting it but I guarantee you it's because she is his girlfriend, ie he's taking care of her and the kid....but I don't think it's court apointed. I read somewhere else that this mother already has a salary of $300,000 a year...:eek:
I think she is a stylist for hip-hip/R&B artists so she probably has some duckets.

Wigglytuff
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:10 AM
i never say this about women but..... thats a gold digging hussy!

Sally Struthers
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:15 AM
That's just outrageous. What kid needs $35000 a month? The woman needs to be shot. Don't get any ideas and pull an OJ, P. Diddy. It's just a figure of speech but Sally would understand if you did it :o

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:20 AM
That's just outrageous. What kid needs $35000 a month? The woman needs to be shot. Don't get any ideas and pull an OJ, P. Diddy. It's just a figure of speech but Sally would understand if you did it :o
No one NEEDS it, but the child should have a somewhat similar style of living as the parent. 35G's a month isn't anywhere near what Puffy probably spends on himself in the course of a month.

Sally Struthers
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:23 AM
No one NEEDS it, but the child should have a somewhat similar style of living as the parent. 35G's a month isn't anywhere near what Puffy probably spends on himself in the course of a month.

Bah. Kids are able to adapt well. Pay to stay in the same house and get the kid toys and what not but no way does that add up to 35000 per month.

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Bah. Kids are able to adapt well. Pay to stay in the same house and get the kid toys and what not but no way does that add up to 35000 per month.
Yeah, but if Puffy made less money, the child support would be less money.

gentenaire
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Fair enough, but then there should be some guarantee that the money is only spent on the son and not used by the mother. I can't stand Puff Daddy, but I don't he should be paying for the expensive lifestyles of all his exes.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:18 AM

I imagine that the mother can keep a pretty good lifestyle for her kid with that kind of money. Send it to the best school, bring it on fancy vacations... and all that jazz ;)

Crazy Canuck
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Fair enough, but then there should be some guarantee that the money is only spent on the son and not used by the mother. I can't stand Puff Daddy, but I don't he should be paying for the expensive lifestyles of all his exes.
Having lived with a mother who received child support, I think that it's extremely hard to draw the line between what is "for the kid" and what is strictly "for the mother"... uh, fancy jewelry aside ;)

harloo
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Combs' lawyers argued that a 1996 agreement between the parties when his son was 2 years old set monthly support at $2,795, dropped to $1,290 after the boy's 14th birthday.

Cmon now Puffy this was just pathetic. And Misa did not start tripping about child support until she learned Nicole was getting 35,000 a month.

With all the money Puff makes from that Sean Jean label, 35000 a month is small potatoes for him. He probably spends that in a couple of hours.

I think it's good that he is made to pay this because you can't get away with giving one child one thing, and the other less.

esquímaux
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM
That's ridiculous. Plain and simple.

jrm
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM
:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Helen Lawson
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM
He should have hired a shark lawyer and gotten sole custody like I did when Jess and I divorced. Sole custody = no child support payments.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Kim Porter gets 35g as well and that was after she took Puffy to court...But Misa claims in interviews that her son should live the lifestyl that he lives when he goes to see his father...I just dont get it...:shrug:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM
And keep in mind that Misa is married to a man name Jojo who is a big time AR Director at a major music label...She is also a big time stylist who styles the likes of Lil Kim, Foxy and even Serena Willams...:D

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I don't get it either.....u don't take the father of your child to court over money when you don't need it. You should want to keep the tension and relationship as friendly as possible...we know he gives his current girlfriend more is that suppose to be shocking? I don't think it is...

Also, Harloo that's what the agreement says but the article also goes on to say he gives her over 5g's a month. That should be more than enough to provide half the support for your child to live a luxurious lifestyle..

Martian Willow
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:33 PM
It would appear he set the amount of maintainance himself by giving that sum to the mother of another child. They are both his children, and one is not worth less than another, so I don't see what the objection is.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:08 PM
You want to know what funny, Kim (the current "girlfriend" and baby Momma of the millennium) use to be Misa's best friend...Misa started dating Puffy when she was 19 and he was an intern at Uptown trying to start up as a producer. Kim Porter was the receptionist at Uptown at the time and she snatched up Al B. Sure and had his baby...after moving to NYC from Atlanta with the then unknown Dallas Austin (Chilli from TLC baby daddy). Puffy tried to holler at Kim at the time but she was such a money hungry bitch she did not give him the time of day...When Misa got pregnant, Puffy had just started producing Jodeci and Mary J Blige. So he was on the come up...Well, Kim became best friends with the pregnant Misa. After having the baby, Misa started having troubles with Puffy and she would confide in Kim and Kim would tell her to leave him and take him to court for custody and child support. Come to find out…Kim turned up pregnant for Puffy and walked off with him leaving Misa to fend for herself…Misa said in an interview that she is still cordial to Kim and she is happily married to Jojo Brim and has two other kids…While Kim continues to be Puffy door mat…He left her MANY times for the likes of J-lo and Naomi Campbell. Some women just want to be in a certain lifestyle and do not care what the fuck the man does. I guess she realizes that she took him from another woman so he is fair game as long as at the end of the day he comes home and she can continue to wear Prada and Gucci…:rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/mag_apr02/beautiful_people2002/images/misa_hylton_brim.jpg
Misa Hylton-Brim

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
An interview with Wendy Williams about Puffy and Kim

What makes Kim Porter "baby mama of the millennium"?

"Every time we open up the newspaper we see Puffy hitting on or being in a romantic liaison with a different woman, yet Kim Porter continues to stick around. Although how she got him is how she keeps him. She's a scandalous ho. And you know what? You can't turn a whore into a housewife. They will never marry. He's keeping her around because it's cheaper to keep her. Even though she's getting the $30,000 a month now , imagine how much drama she would bring into his life if she wasn't around."

So it's like hush money? "I mean, you know, yeah. Puffy has [i]the secret. I don't want to go into what the secret is. Listeners know if they listen to the show. But Puffy has the secret. Like Will Smith has the secret, like so many rappers, actors and artists have the secret--men and women."

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
http://web.**************/images/thumbnail/1954790.jpg
Kim and Puffy...:tape:

esquímaux
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_02/mag_apr02/beautiful_people2002/images/misa_hylton_brim.jpg
Misa Hylton-BrimI didn't know today was trash day :scratch:. Crap, forgot to set mine out :mad:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I didn't know today was trash day :scratch:. Crap, forgot to set mine out :mad:
What's trashy about her? :confused:

harloo
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I didn't know today was trash day :scratch:. Crap, forgot to set mine out :mad:
She's beautiful.;)

harloo
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
You want to know what funny, Kim (the current "girlfriend" and baby Momma of the millennium) use to be Misa's best friend...Misa started dating Puffy when she was 19 and he was an intern at Uptown trying to start up as a producer. Kim Porter was the receptionist at Uptown at the time and she snatched up Al B. Sure and had his baby...after moving to NYC from Atlanta with the then unknown Dallas Austin (Chilli from TLC baby daddy). Puffy tried to holler at Kim at the time but she was such a money hungry bitch she did not give him the time of day...When Misa got pregnant, Puffy had just started producing Jodeci and Mary J Blige. So he was on the come up...Well, Kim became best friends with the pregnant Misa. After having the baby, Misa started having troubles with Puffy and she would confide in Kim and Kim would tell her to leave him and take him to court for custody and child support. Come to find out…Kim turned up pregnant for Puffy and walked off with him leaving Misa to fend for herself…Misa said in an interview that she is still cordial to Kim and she is happily married to Jojo Brim and has two other kids…While Kim continues to be Puffy door mat…He left her MANY times for the likes of J-lo and Naomi Campbell. Some women just want to be in a certain lifestyle and do not care what the fuck the man does. I guess she realizes that she took him from another woman so he is fair game as long as at the end of the day he comes home and she can continue to wear Prada and Gucci…:rolleyes:
;)

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
That's what I'm saying the $35,000 to kim is not for just "child support" it's for the momma....and if you are going to court asking for that much you want if for you too. No way you're spending all that money on one kid and not spending it on yourself, your husband and your other kids...:unsure:

wayitis
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
An interview with Wendy Williams about Puffy and Kim

So it's like hush money? "I mean, you know, yeah. Puffy has the secret. I don't want to go into what the secret is. Listeners know if they listen to the show. But Puffy has the secret. Like Will Smith has the secret, like so many rappers, actors and artists have the secret--men and women."

what's the secret :confused:? and what is Will Smith's secret?

harloo
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I don't get it either.....u don't take the father of your child to court over money when you don't need it. You should want to keep the tension and relationship as friendly as possible...we know he gives his current girlfriend more is that suppose to be shocking? I don't think it is...

Also, Harloo that's what the agreement says but the article also goes on to say he gives her over 5g's a month. That should be more than enough to provide half the support for your child to live a luxurious lifestyle..
Puffy will still have a great relationship with his son regardless if she gets the extra money or not.

Also, Rockie I have seen many brotha's struggle with the garnishment of their checks. These are average everyday hard workers who are dealing with baby mama drama everyday. I feel sorry for them because the money taken out is a hardship but this is what they should of thought about before getting involved.

Puffy has a multi million dollar clothing line, a record label, a couple of restaurants, and many other ventures. If you want to sleep with multiple women at the same time, then you need to pay up. 35000 is not a lot in Puffyland. Now it may be a huge amount to the average worker, but for him is small potatoes.:D
:kiss:

harloo
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:31 PM
what's the secret :confused:? and what is Will Smith's secret?
I don't listen to the trashy Wendy Williams but it probably has something to do with,"How you doin?". She has accused Puffy of being gay before, but Wendy accuses almost everyone of being gay just to keep people listening.:o

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM
As a college kid depending on child support to pay his cell phone and grocery bills every month, I know what its like to be dependant upon it. I know what its like to be shortchanged, because my mother never took my father back to Child Support court after the 1986 ruling off of his THEN income, so until recently, I was getting $30 a week in child support. Needless to say, that did NOT go far in supporting a child. While my little sister, who has another mother, on the other hand, gets substantially more (I'm not sure how much more). I think Misa is right for taking Diddy to court to get paid whatever Kim Porter's children are getting paid, because P. Diddy is even claiming Kim Porter's other sons as his own and paying for their educations, medical expenses, etc, while his firstborn son Justin is getting what, $2,750 a month? WTF?

He should pay all of his children equally, instead of caking up Kim Porter and buying her houses in Alpharetta and shit. http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/firey.gif

BK4ever
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM
She deserves every penny...why should Kim get $35,000 and Misa not get the same.

Puffy need not bring up Misa's other kids because Kim has another kid as well, who Puffy has publicly admitted that he takes care of and that he bought them a house in Atlanta...etc

Misa was there for him when he was a nobody and now this ho bag Kim comes along and gets to live the high life...don't think so :rolleyes:

PhoenixStorm
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:00 PM
What I dont understand is why a parent is obligated to pay for an adults education. After your child turns 18 you should not be liable for any educational or living expenses. That child is a child no longer but a legal adult and should be responsible for his or her own financial expenses. period.

PhoenixStorm
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:02 PM
She deserves every penny...why should Kim get $35,000 and Misa not get the same.

Puffy need not bring up Misa's other kids because Kim has another kid as well, who Puffy has publicly admitted that he takes care of and that he bought them a house in Atlanta...etc

Misa was there for him when he was a nobody and now this ho bag Kim comes along and gets to live the high life...don't think so :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous. Why doesnt she just let puffy have custody then? Child support should not equal parent support.

Just because he makes a certain amout of money doesnt mean he cant control how it influences his children. Hell i know millionaires who shop for their kids at walmart. So please dont tell me that kid needs 35k a month. He doesnt.

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:06 PM
What I dont understand is why a parent is obligated to pay for an adults education. After your child turns 18 you should not be liable for any educational or living expenses. That child is a child no longer but a legal adult and should be responsible for his or her own financial expenses. period. You obviously haven't been to college. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/confused.gif

I dont know what I would do without BOTH my parents right now. If I were to get a job to support myself, I would have to claim my earnings as income, and that would mess uo my scholarship money which is already paying my high ass tuition, AND grant money I receive from the government that contributes to my room and board costs would be seriously decreased.

I believe that in the case of state ordered child support, the parent should have to contribute to the child's welfare until they are out of school. Period.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Thats right, Misa was with him when he was interning and producing at Uptown...when he was on his come up...they shared a small apt in Hackensack NJ when she was fresh out of high school...Misa is a smart business woman with a husband that makes a lot of money by anyones standard and she may as well get the money now and ensure that her son is set for life because you never know how long Puffy's money will last...:tape:

Sally Struthers
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:35 PM
When Dr. Rader and I split in the 80s I wasn't about to give him 35 grand a month. Not that I couldn't afford it, but if he thought I was going to support the extravegant lifestyle that he became accustomed to living with me as his wife he had another thing coming to him. I got custody of the kid so I dind't hae to pay child support. Just palimony

this was me after I wrote my first check to him:

http://www.cs-zine.com/pt/Strurthers_Sally_portret.jpg

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM

yeah but you're pretty much saying the mother deserves it and the money isn't for the mother? What about making someone commit to you before you pop out a kid? :tape: I'm not saying she's bad at all I'm just saying lets be real.....like Harloo said there are many people out there struggling to support their children and every dime counts....this is not one of them. We know women out there look at their children as meal tickets and that's not right. Misa isn't cause she has money it really seems like its a "get even" thing but other women out there will look at it as a winfall. I think the men should be accountable but so should these women...

Kart
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:28 PM
$35,000 a month is a lot more money than is needed to bring up a child.