PDA

View Full Version : could Kim switch to a 1-handed backhand?

vogus
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:34 PM
If it came down to a choice for Kim between retirement and learning a 1-handed BH, i would hope she would try to make the switch. This is an injury to her non-dominant hand for chrissakes, it shouldn't be an injury that knocks her out of the sport.

Even with a stinker of a 1-handed backhand (see Steffi Graf and Pete Sampras), i bet Kim could still be a Top 30 player. That would be far better than having no tennis career at all.

thelittlestelf
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Maybe temporarily but to me, her backhand is her best shot and I don't think she would be able to give that up just because of her wrist. It would totally hinder her entire game.

I don't think it's such a great idea and I don't think she would be able to perform nearly as well as she would with a two hander.

Brαm
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Even with a stinker of a 1-handed backhand (see Steffi Graf and Pete Sampras), i bet Kim could still be a Top 30 player. That would be far better than having no tennis career at all.

I disagree.

Pengwin
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Do you mean like a Graf backhand or a Henin-Hardenne backhand?

fleemke³
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
no she can't and I hope she doesn't need it

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Even with a stinker of a 1-handed backhand (see Steffi Graf and Pete Sampras)
And that's a stinker of a comment.

Yes, she could switch, but of course to slice only at first. Everything else might not be worth the effort anyway.

vogus
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM
no she can't and I hope she doesn't need it

why the hostility? It's pretty obvious that a choice between being a Top 30 player with a one-handed slice backhand, and being a retired top player at age 21, which choice is the better one. There's no reason why Kim couldn't do it, she is the kind of person who always has a positive, can-do attitude.

Brαm
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM
It's pretty obvious that a choice between being a Top 30 player with a one-handed slice backhand, and being a retired top player at age 21, which choice is the better one.

I think Kim would pick the 2nd option :shrug:

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think Kim would pick the 2nd option :shrug:
... and have lots of children with Lleyton. :o

Fingon
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Maybe temporarily but to me, her backhand is her best shot and I don't think she would be able to give that up just because of her wrist. It would totally hinder her entire game.

I don't think it's such a great idea and I don't think she would be able to perform nearly as well as she would with a two hander.
exactly

esquímaux
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hmmm you people make it sound like Kim's game is/was BASED on her two-hander :scratch:

kart_veteran
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I think this topic can be broken down in 2 questions:

If the injury doesn't heal anymore and Kim is forced to switch to a one-handed backhand:

1) What rank could she achieve with that one-handed backhand?

2) What's better for her: Retiring at age 21, or playing for that highest possible rank you just mentioned in question 1.

My opinions:

1) About 20th-30th place, with a solid slice backhand should be the highest possible rank for her.
2) As a tennis fan i prefer to see her staying active, and playing for that 20th-30th place rank. Just for herself, i think it might be better to retire since 20th-30th place is really bad compared to her current achievements, doesn't help her career, and might not be worth the effort.

flyingmachine
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:58 PM
It depends on how bad her left wrist are. One handed backhand is very difficult to master ask Sampras about it. It took him 4 YEARS :eek: to master that. However why not if she want to master. Sampras started to win things when he mastered the one handed backhand but I don't think she will. Since she wants to retied at 25.

esquímaux
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Then again, retiring at 21 couldn't be so bad; Kim could even take up a little equestrian work.

vogus
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:10 PM
of course the switch would hinder Kim's game: nobody is arguing that it wouldn't. Minus her 2-hand BH she probly couldn't be Top 10 anymore. But she could still beat an awful lot of players just on her FH winners, mental toughness, and hustle.

shap_half
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:25 PM
if elena can be top 5 with a serve like that (and this is no bust to elena because i love her), kim could survive with a slice backhand

fleemke³
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:47 PM
why the hostility? It's pretty obvious that a choice between being a Top 30 player with a one-handed slice backhand, and being a retired top player at age 21, which choice is the better one. There's no reason why Kim couldn't do it, she is the kind of person who always has a positive, can-do attitude.
I just don't think you can change your backhand that easily. And with only a slice backhand ... well Steffi could do it but I think thennis is going to fast now to manage it with only slice ...

Pengwin
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Then again, retiring at 21 couldn't be so bad; Kim could even take up a little equestrian work.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thelittlestelf
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Kim would not be satisfied with being a top 20 or 30 player. After Hingis retired she said something like, "I couldn't go back and just be a seeded, solid player, I have to be top 5 at least."

It's hard to go from being a feared top player to just being a solid top 20 to 30 player.

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I think Kim would consider going Graf.
Just really solidifying her forehand and learning to run around it from deep into the backhand corner, but I think if she realized that it would never work, and a 2 hander would not be an option, she'd call it quits :(

It would be crazy if TWO former #'1 had to retire within 2 years under the age of 22 :o
Add that to Anna Kournikova, and that's pretty sad.

If that does happen, they need to do some research and figure things out

Fingon
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
I think Kim would consider going Graf.
Just really solidifying her forehand and learning to run around it from deep into the backhand corner, but I think if she realized that it would never work, and a 2 hander would not be an option, she'd call it quits :(

It would be crazy if TWO former #'1 had to retire within 2 years under the age of 22 :o
Add that to Anna Kournikova, and that's pretty sad.

If that does happen, they need to do some research and figure things out
to put it simple, you want her to learn how to play tennis again, at age 22.

now she doesn't have only to learn an effective slice backhand (and fight her natural tendency to hit a two-handed backhand), she also needs to change her footwork, get a lot more control on the forehand while not losing power.

SG_Slam
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
and what? win Wimbledon?
Better stay 2-handed and try winning AO, she has no chance winning anything with 1-handed BH.

faste5683
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:21 PM
It depends on how bad her left wrist are. One handed backhand is very difficult to master ask Sampras about it. It took him 4 YEARS :eek: to master that. However why not if she want to master. Sampras started to win things when he mastered the one handed backhand but I don't think she will. Since she wants to retied at 25.

Come on now, it's not *that* difficult. Kim's an athlete, a damn good one. Mastering a one handed backhand (which would include slice, flat, and topspin shots) just isn't that big of a deal. I'll bet she has hit a million of them in practice, just goofing around the way players do. I've always had a one hander but hit two handed once in awhile for the fun of it.

Kim is so quick, so fast, that in the beginning she could compensate for her weaker side by running around her backhand as much as possible. She could also attack the net more often. I'm certain she could make the transition.

:wavey:

faste5683
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:28 PM
if elena can be top 5 with a serve like that (and this is no bust to elena because i love her), kim could survive with a slice backhand

:haha:

Exactly! But what's all this with the slice? A topspin backhand is *easier* to hit than a wimpy old slice. What is it with you guys? :eek:

Slice: High to low.

Topspin: Low to high.

It's not rocket science, folks.

:kiss:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM
i hope she comes back :(

moby
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
:haha:

Exactly! But what's all this with the slice? A topspin backhand is *easier* to hit than a wimpy old slice. What is it with you guys? :eek:

Slice: High to low.

Topspin: Low to high.

It's not rocket science, folks.

:kiss:
a slice is far easier to hit i believe
and much more effective than a mediocre topspin shot

the cat
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM
You make a good point, Vogus. I was thinking about Kim learning a one handed backhand as well. She's a tremendous athlete and I think she should learn a one handed backhand if that's what it will take to save her career. Even if her left wrist gets better she could re-injure her left wrist at any time hitting a two handed backhand.

ans
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM
If you have been at the top it's difficult to be satisfied with being top 20/30 so chosing for retirement (on the verge of getting married + being a millionaire) wouldn't be such a shocking choice then.

fifiricci
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:32 PM
to put it simple, you want her to learn how to play tennis again, at age 22.

She's 21

fifiricci
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Come on now, it's not *that* difficult. Kim's an athlete, a damn good one. Mastering a one handed backhand (which would include slice, flat, and topspin shots) just isn't that big of a deal. I'll bet she has hit a million of them in practice, just goofing around the way players do. I've always had a one hander but hit two handed once in awhile for the fun of it.

Kim is so quick, so fast, that in the beginning she could compensate for her weaker side by running around her backhand as much as possible. She could also attack the net more often. I'm certain she could make the transition.

:wavey:
I agree (even though there may be some wishful thinking in there).

It'll be a shocking bloody waste if she does retire now.