PDA

View Full Version : Up Hill Journey For Kim

SerenaSlam
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I was looking at her ranking and the many options, and it looks Like kim is gonna have an up hill battle to get back in the rankings.

I think this is the saddest situation I haven't seen a player in this kind of siutaion besides Martina Hingis. As a matter of fact it's looking like a Hingis ordeal.

If Kim is out the rest of the year, than her ranking points will be around 1326 pts :eek: i know, very shocking. That would put her ranking at around 18 or so (yeah even sadder huh) That would in a sense end up being her seed for Australian unless the tournie director see's reason to feel for her, and give her a decent seeding. But then if you think about that, and her having to come back, and so many player coming and forming into their own games, Kim has 662 pts to defend at the Australian Open. So in a sense, inorder for her to stay top 11-20 its almost/basically a must that she gets at least to the final. (yeah the story continues to get sad/worse). And if she doesn't accomplish that, her ranking after the australian could be in the 40's :eek:

Im going by the numbers people, and looking at them, all this to me is just heart breaking when it comes to Kim. The same thing went down basically for Hingis. But I don't think it was this bad.

Do all the rest of you relalize this? Im surprised no one has looked at the numbers to see. But turning into a really bad siutation for kim. So many points to defend, and being injured, and coming back, and getting injured again, there won't be any chances of Procted Ranking for her. Im gonna pray, that some how her game finds its self ASAP, and she can defend these points. Cuz as bad as I cannot stand to see Serena floating around in the top 10 b/c of injury and not at number 1 where she belongs, i cannot stand to see kim w/ the talent she has continue to fall, and possibly be ranked in the 40's after the australian all as well b/c of an injury :sad: very very :sad:

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Rankings don't matter. Being healthy she will be back in top 10 in no time.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
i really dont mind cuz she's a fighter and she beat 2 quality opponents in her comeback and played pretty decently against bovina till the injury flared up.....i'm just hoping that she draws top players like momo and elena d in her comeback cuz she beats them handily most of the time and it'll give us an indication of how good her level if. i.e if she loses to them we know there's a lot of ground to cover and if she beats them, its not too bad. and besides, she has virtually nothing to defend after the AO.

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:10 PM
and besides, she has virtually nothing to defend after the AO.
Well, of course you have nothing to defend when you are at 0 points. :o

mboyle
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM
"The tournament director sees." You don't put an apostrophe before the third person singular verb form. Sorry, that was just bothering me a bit.:wavey:

mboyle
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM
okay as for your point, I agree. Kim really should not have come back so early, if only to obtain her injury protection ranking. I am convinced that this was an important factor as to why Serena did not come back earlier (like for Oz or late last season.) First, Kim shouldn't have played Berlin. Second, she shouldn't have played Hasselt. Had she merely rested until the Australian season, she would have recieved her special ranking, given her wrist more than ample time to heal, and had time to practice sufficiently, maybe even enough to develop a significantly new aspect of her game.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM
i´m with mboyle here....if she already missed three majors, then what was there for her to gain in playing the rest of the year?! Players of her caliber...only slams matter. This wasn´t a real wise decision.

lizchris
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I said when she had the sugery that she should have waited until 2005 to play again and I was laughed at by some on this board and unfortunately I am turing out to be right.

SerenaSlam is correct; this siutation is very sad and I wonder if her singles schedule plus playing doubles contributed to her wrist injury?

Not that this is important, but had she waited to come back, she would have been awarded a special seeding for her possibly her first eight tournaments. Now, she will be seeded based on her ranking.

SerenaSlam
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I said when she had the sugery that she should have waited until 2005 to play again and I was laughed at by some on this board and unfortunately I am turing out to be right.

SerenaSlam is correct; this siutation is very sad and I wonder if her singles schedule plus playing doubles contributed to her wrist injury?

Not that this is important, but had she waited to come back, she would have been awarded a special seeding for her possibly her first eight tournaments. Now, she will be seeded based on her ranking.
and that is the sad part, and to be honest, okay say she Kim wasn't thinking as in "i wanna get back in it to keep my ranking" if i was here i would be thinking the sense of Serena Williams.

She should have waited even longer for saftey, for she didn't know this was gonna happen. personally had she did like venus and serena both, and just waited till the following year, i think she would be doing fine. yeah, everyone is saying she did exactly what the doctors say etc, but somtimes you need to take matters into your own hands, and in this case, kim should have just put her racquet down till Australian Open. Some say this is not about rankings, but again people you have to think of those players that are starting to come into their own games etc and do well. The Bovina's and Petrova's etc. Kim can still run into these people early, and there fore a bigger possibility of loosing on a "comeback" run, and her ranking dropping yet again.

boggs570
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
For all we know Kim just might call it quits.As a matter of fact this is a good out for Kim since she wants to get married and have babies at a young age.

jenny161185
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:30 PM
she should of thought like Serena and Venus? what are you on about , Doctors said Kim could have played the USO but she wanted to rest and who are you to know this injury wouldnt have occured if Kim hadn t come back until Australia,

Who cares about rankings, If Kims back to full health she'll begin to shoot up the rankings come nxt May

tennnisfannn
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:56 AM
The rankings will come with good health. I would rather see her at no.100 but healthy to play. Like you say serenaslam it will be a tough ask, but then again there will be people ranked ahead of her she could handle well, there will be a fair bit of quality points for her to make.
I reckon it will be a tough one for the higher seeds to have to draw kim so early.

Hagar
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM
F!ck the ranking, when she's healthy, she'll be back.
The two matches she played in Hasselt showed that Kim still knows how to play tennis.

Pamela Shriver
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Up Hill Journey For Kim
Does she live on the top of a mountain?

~|Naomi|~
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I'm with the others the rankings mean nothing. If she drops to say 100 who cares,if she is fit once she plays enough tournaments she can get it back to top 10 , it isn't Kim who should be worried it's those who will draw her early on in tournaments cause that just means nice juicy bonus points for Kim. Serena and Venus had seedings when they came back Kim probably won't so she will draw top 10-20 players often early on.

Dechy who is ranked like 20ish and match fit took 3 sets to get past Maleeva Kim beat her in straight sets, making the top 20 again shouldn't be very difiicult at all and like I said once she has enough tournaments behind her she will be back better than ever and watch out world:D

Oh and yes Serenaslam we are all aware of Kim's ranking there has been a lot posted about it but Like I said we (kim fans) couldn't care less if she is 150 and fit to play matches then that is what matters that is better than having a protected ranking but not able to play. Mark my words once she gets fit and can play enough she will be back in top 10:worship:

Hagar
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:16 AM
i´m with mboyle here....if she already missed three majors, then what was there for her to gain in playing the rest of the year?! Players of her caliber...only slams matter. This wasn´t a real wise decision.
Another stupid comment of yours.
Kim does not give a damn about her ranking, she just wants to play.

pigam
Oct 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM
It is a sad thing,
but she will definetly be back...
I saw her matches in Hasselt, and like Bovina said
even with only one arm @ 'full force', she's still a level
above a lot of other players, so her place is definetly NOT in
the 40's or 50's, and she won't be there for long... :)

Flappie
Oct 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
how come everybody except Kim knows she's not ready to come back:rolleyes:

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2004, 11:27 AM
We´ll see....of course everybody knows that a healthy Kim is top 10, top5 easily.....but to get there, is gonna take a battle.

saki
Oct 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM
As I understood it, it was a new wrist injury not reaggravating the old one? If that's correct, then it didn't have anything to do with coming back and she could have injured it at any time. I do think it's rotten luck that she's not getting an injury ranking when she returns and it will therefore take her longer to get back to the top 5 as she'll be much more likely to play top 10 players in earlier rounds, but she will get there eventually. It's more a question of whether being ranked low will spur her on or discourage her and I don't know enough about her personality to know.

Hagar
Oct 6th, 2004, 11:44 AM
The way Kim was playing against Maleeva showed she's still way above most girls on the tour. If it wouldn't have been for the new injury, Kim would have had a tough match against Bovina but would have won in the end.
Don't know how she would have done against Elena D., I was actually really looking forward to that confrontation, in order to see how the current picking order is.

If Kim is healthy, she'll be storming up the rankings and be the comeback player of the year!