PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer is barely avg. a tournament win a year. It's time..."Dad you're fired!"

DA FOREHAND
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM
It's high time Jennifer brought in a new coach and dumped daddy dearest for good. The old hit everything three feet from the sidelines bit isn't gonna win her any titles.

boggs570
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Oh no, the only players who need a new coach are the williams sisters and they win tournaments every year. No Jen does not need a new coach her coach is just terrific. What are you talking about Daforehand.

gourownway
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I don't remember Stefano being around for the tournaments leading up to the French, and I don't remember him being around for Wimby. If I'm not mistaken Jen had the same results with or without him.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Jen shouldn't get rid Stefano but she should stick to coaches instead of firing them when she has a bad match (like French Open) :mad:

TeamUSA#1
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this.......Jen has had fantastic results with her father (3 grand slams, 2 other titles....) Jen was just a bit more fitter in 2001-2002. I also think she was on to something with Heinz G. earlier this year, but he did not want to travel so much, so that didnt work out..... Come to think of it, I also think Paul Annaconne was really good for her as well, but then that damn back injury came along.....

For Jen, I think at this point it really doesnt matter who the coach is, as long as she is in her best physical shape. I mean look at this year, the back injury fucked up her conditioning, and she was not 100%, more like 75% to 80% and she still made 2 slam SF and 1 QF. I think if Jen stays healthy and in shape and with 1 coach, not a revolving door, she will win more titles next year....

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
She should play more agressive again in my opinion. Go for her shots more,like she used to do. But what do I know? I'm not an expert. It just seems logical to me to come to that conclusion when I compare the Jen of three or four years ago with todays version.

I'm not sure I agree with this.......Jen has had fantastic results with her father (3 grand slams, 2 other titles....) Jen was just a bit more fitter in 2001-2002. I also think she was on to something with Heinz G. earlier this year, but he did not want to travel so much, so that didnt work out..... Come to think of it, I also think Paul Annaconne was really good for her as well, but then that damn back injury came along.....

For Jen, I think at this point it really doesnt matter who the coach is, as long as she is in her best physical shape. I mean look at this year, the back injury fucked up her conditioning, and she was not 100%, more like 75% to 80% and she still made 2 slam SF and 1 QF. I think if Jen stays healthy and in shape and with 1 coach, not a revolving door, she will win more titles next year....

SerenaSlam
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
She should play more agressive again in my opinion. Go for her shots more,like she used to do. But what do I know? I'm not an expert. It just seems logical to me to come to that conclusion when I compare the Jen of three or four years ago with todays version.
but then again, if you look back, jennifer against the williams sisters, has always been defensive, barely the dictator in maybe 5 points out of the entire match. but now, she has really gone off, and has become defensive to those like Jutsine, Amelie, Lindsay etc. It went from only a couple people out there able to dictate an entire match against her (the william), to about 10 player now. And i think she can narrow that down, but the sisters will always be the ones out there doing the dictating.

TeamUSA#1
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM

I agree.... I was watching a tape of her 2001 FO win over Serena the other day and she did go for the lines a bit more.... Then I watched some of her matches this year (Rome Final vs Momo and USOpen QF vs Serena) and she does play it a little more safe this year, but IMO it is because she is still a 1/2 step slower than she was in 2001. She was able to go for those lines because she was getting to the balls a little bit quicker and could set up for her shots better. Dont get me wrong, she is still pretty quick. If she could raise her fitness level again, I think she would be a far better player than when she was in 2001 and winning 3 slams. She plays with more brains now, and has a much better serve and more variety in her game, but the fitness level is off 20% IMO..... I think she has said a couple of times this year in interviews that she plans on working on that in the off season so that she can play for a few more years at the top of the game and still compete for and hopefully win a few more titles, esp. the slams.......

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
but then again, if you look back, jennifer against the williams sisters, has always been defensive, barely the dictator in maybe 5 points out of the entire match. but now, she has really gone off, and has become defensive to those like Jutsine, Amelie, Lindsay etc. It went from only a couple people out there able to dictate an entire match against her (the william), to about 10 player now. And i think she can narrow that down, but the sisters will always be the ones out there doing the dictating.

Uhum...against the sisters practically NOBODY can dictate points. But I think thereīs no way that players like Elena D and Justine and even Kim should be dictating the play against Jennifer....and because sheīs soo passive is the reason that she still hasnīt reached the F at the Open, despite being in good position the last two years.

TeamUSA#1
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:01 PM

I disagree... take a look at Jen's matches vs. the Willies back in 2001 Jen would take turns with Vee/Rena dictating the points-- more like 50/50 (not 5 points for the whole match) That is why Jen beat Rena 3 times that year.... she was able to get to Serena's shots and send them back as a winner. Jen just needs to get back to her fitness level from 2001-2002 and she will be winning titles again

Kart
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Bored today are we Da Forehand ?

I take it there was nothing of note in the National Enquirer ? :p

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
True. I think that Jen can outhit almost anyone,but not the Williams sisters,at least not at this stage of her career. Against Serena I think she's playing the right tactic actually. If she would go for broke now against Serena she would come up second best on most occasions. Not giving Serena any angles and keeping the unforced errors down to a minimum is the way to go for Jen against her (and Venus) in my opinion. But against most of the other girls.....Try to blow them away,or at the very least try (as you suggest) to dictate the pace. ACT as opposed to react to what the other girl is doing.

veryborednow
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Jennifer is barely avg. a tournament win a year

Jen has always barely avg a tournament win a year - it's nothing new.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:14 PM
True. I think that Jen can outhit almost anyone,but not the Williams sisters,at least not at this stage of her career. Against Serena I think she's playing the right tactic actually. If she would go for broke now against Serena she would come up second best on most occasions. Not giving Serena any angles and keeping the unforced errors down to a minimum is the way to go for Jen against her (and Venus) in my opinion. But against most of the other girls.....Try to blow them away,or at the very least try (as you suggest) to dictate the pace. ACT as opposed to react to what the other girl is doing.

Yep...you donīt wanna groove Serena, because thatīs just getting her in the zone. Her major weakness: balls down the center...Still canīt understand how she has soo much trouble with this tactic.

thelittlestelf
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Jen's dad, if anything, makes her more nervous!

I also think it's time to dump daddy.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I think you're right in regard to Serena, play it safe and deep against her and get enough balls back and you'll get a few victories, however Jenn has never beaten Venus so obviously that strategy isn't working for her. The players who have upset Venus this year all were going for thier shots, w/maybe Myskina being a slight exception.

DEETHELICK
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Jen needs a sports psychologist, or someone on the team that can drum into her the importance of being more aggressive. Use the forehand. More often. And power it as the weapon it should be.

As for the Williams being dominated, I've seen other players dictate play against them. Lindsay AND Elena D against Venus this year.

As for Justine, Kim and Elena not being able to dominate against Jen, have you seen how aggressive and powerfully Justine and Elena hit? They can dictate rallies, its just that jen needs to go for a big shot in a rally earlier or take a risk so that she can counter attack better rather than wait for an error.

Jen has the mechanics. She has the speed and fitness. She needs that mindset again.

jenny161185
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Serenaslam are you serious? Jen only dictated about 5 points when she plays Serena , ROTFLMAO I could do that

Jennifer's wife
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:49 PM
is anyone forgetting that Jen has knocked Serena out of three tournaments this year?? obviously by being passive :rolleyes:

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM
By being tactically smart (nothing wrong with that,on the contrary I would say),mentally tough and especially thanks to her great fighting spirit :worship: :worship: :worship:

is anyone forgetting that Jen has knocked Serena out of three tournaments this year?? obviously by being passive :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Yep...you donīt wanna groove Serena, because thatīs just getting her in the zone. Her major weakness: balls down the center...Still canīt understand how she has soo much trouble with this tactic.
when players put balls down the middle they do all the running; therefore, players don't use this very often. when you go more for the lines you open up angles. few players serena plays have the patience to keep the ball in the middle and safe, do all the running, and take every opportunity against her. the reason capriati can do this is because she also has a bit of firepower of her own. she can put away short balls better than the other scrappy players serena plays. that and capriati's return game is still pretty darn good and keeps the pressure on.