PDA

View Full Version : Injury could spell end of Clijsters career

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM
According to a quote from the tournament doctor in Belgium anyway...let's hope it's not true...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3712082.stm

Fears grow for Clijsters

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40138000/jpg/_40138290_clijsters_203x152gi.jpg
Clijsters comeback ends (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3710118.stm)

Belgian Kim Clijsters will spend the rest of 2004 on the sidelines because of a new injury to her left wrist.

Initial reports from the Belgian Open on Saturday suggested the injury was not as serious as a similar problem which wrecked her season.

But tournament doctor Bruno Willems was far more negative on Monday.

"This injury can mean the end of her career," Willems told Belgium's De Morgen newspaper. "I hope she comes back, but I'm pessimistic."

Clijsters was trailing 6-4 2-2 to Elena Bovina in Saturday's semi-finals when she was forced to retire.

It was her first competitive action for five months after tearing her wrist tendons and undergoing surgery.

Doctors assured Clijsters her old condition has fully healed but now the new injury has again delayed her return to the top. Speaking on Sunday, Clijsters said: "I hope I don't have to be operated on again." And her website said the problem might be fixed with a brace and anti-inflammatory medicine. She is set to undergo more tests this week.

Lemonskin.
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
:sad: Poor Kimmy

I hope she gets better - so she and Lleyton can be #1 at the same time :D

Rocketta
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:14 PM
ooooohhhhhh, you're going to be shot by a certain someone for posting that!! :unsure: :armed: :unsure: :p

vma
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:22 PM
calm down Rocketta,although those are only speculations,they are based on some facts.. let's hope Kim will be back on court next season:)

veryborednow
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
ooooohhhhhh, you're going to be shot by a certain someone for posting that!! :unsure: :armed: :unsure: :p
Yes, the BBC often has this problem

tennischick
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM
i hope she is able to come back and play competitively. this would be a terrible way to end her career. :sad:

Harju.
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Nooo.. :sad: hope it's just another rumour.

tennnisfannn
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Is it even legal for a doctor to make a public speculation on an injury. Isn't that usually made to the patient and then it is upto the patient to tell whoever she pleases? Come on Kim, take all the time you need, there is nothing alot of rest cannot cure esp for a 20 year old.

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
You forgot to copy/paste the end of the article:

Thanks...although I'm sure thats all there was when i first cut and pasted :confused:

But yes, when it comes to tennis at least, the BBC website does like to take one quote and turn it into a story in itself. I dont really see how the doctor who saw her on the day of the injury can make such an assumption. And anyway, I reckon Clijsters would have a shot at a career with a single handed backhand if she was forced to make the choice.

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Serve-and-volley. One-handed.

tennischick
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Foxsports also went with the same story, with a tad more detail:

Wrist injury could end Clijsters' career

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - Kim Clijsters' latest wrist injury, suffered at the Gaz de France Stars during the weekend, could mean the end of her career, the doctor of her home tournament said Monday.

Many Belgian newspapers were also pessimistic after the injury in Saturday's semifinal, which ended her comeback tournament after a five-month layoff and any hopes of playing again this year.

"This injury can mean the end of her career," said tournament doctor Bruno Willems in Monday's edition of De Morgen.

"Let's be straight: this is a drama for Kim. I hope she comes back, but I'm pessimistic."

After withdrawing with the left wrist injury 2-2 in the second set, having lost the first against Elena Bovina, 21-year-old Clijsters immediately canceled the four tournaments she was to play in.

"I hope I don't have to be operated on again," she said Sunday.

Even though she is a right hander, she needs her left wrist for her double-handed backhand.

Newspapers cast further gloom.

"It was a tragedy," said former Belgian star Filip Dewulf in Het Laatste Nieuws.

"We wait in fear," said De Morgen. "Together with (Justine) Henin-Hardenne she has given Belgium so much tennis pleasure, and it would be especially sad that the likable top star cannot continue because of injury."

Clijsters' Web site was more optimistic, saying the problem might well be fixed with a brace and anti-inflammatory medicine. She is set to undergo more tests this week.

Clijsters made her return to the tour in her home tournament last week after being sidelined for five months by problems with the same wrist. She had already dropped to No. 7 in the world and will slide out of the top ten by the end of the year. She hopes to return to the tour early next year in the warm-up tournaments for the Australian Open.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3058310

Mase
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh no...... let just all cross our fingers, that would be horrible not only for her, but for the game.... :sad:

Get well soon Kim.

DelMonte
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:44 PM
This is from her website. Let's hope for the best!

DelMonte

Source: http://www.kimclijsters.be/

The wrist again... 03-10-2004

Kim Clijsters' injury appears to be not too serious. Ice, rest, inflammatory drugs and a brace (again) should have her ready for 2005.

During the sixth game of the semi final against Bovina, Kim felt a sudden pain in her left wrist on a difficult backhand. The pain only got worse, even after treatment. Retiring from the match had become inevitable.

New medical examination and Medical Image Analysis (echo review and NMR analysis) revealed a new injury in the left wrist, close to the old injury (which repeatedly showed completely recovered on previous examinations and NMR).

This time, the problem is most likely the tendon of an important wrist extensor (extensor carpi ulnaris). Luckily, the tendon isn't severely damaged. Possibly some filaments have come off, or the tendon sheath. Further examining over the next few days will give final proof.

Ice, rest, inflammatory drugs and a brace (again) are probably the most important now. Further treatment will be discussed together with Kim's entourage and the wrist surgeons doctors Kinen and Verstreken. A new surgery is not being planned for the time being.

After being out for so many months, Kim was more than ever ready to return to her previous top level. This she proved during training as well as during the first two matches. The new injury is quite a blow, but will be and shall be resolved. After being out for a couple of months, Clijsters will be a full 100% ready for 2005!

Oizo
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Scary. But let's hope for the best. :(

rabbit_boi_313
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: Poor Kim
Hope she get well soon :)

esquímaux
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Serve-and-volley. One-handed. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Fingon
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I don't understand how a competant doctor could possibly be pessimistic... :confused: We all know the mental attitude and staying positive is important when someone is injured or sick, if a doctor is pessimistic, how is the patient supposed to feel??? :confused:
from what I've seen and heard, doctors are very good at what they do, diagnostics, treatments etc.

But when it comes to common sense, they reall fall behind, and that's partly because of the way they study, too focused on their speciality and isolated from the real world.

I know generalizations are bad and I am sure there are exceptions, but I wouldn't trust many doctors to make decisions, just give me the info and I will decide myself.

Plus, tennis doctors seem to like the limelight.

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Why doesn't she just change to a one-handed backhand?

It's not like her game revolved around her backhand anyway.
I mean for Venus it was a huge issue, but not for Kim

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Of course it would be a huge issue for Kim. :rolleyes:

Hagar
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Has this doctor even seen Kim's wrist?

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I think that when you have hit your backhand two handed for your entire career it's a huge issue. Dementieva even has problems changing the toss up of her serve. Although you have a point that Kim's game doesn't revolve around her backhand,and even though she might be able to develop a perfectly acceptible one handed backhand,I can imagine that she would feel less secure doing that as opposed to what she's been doing for her entire career.

Let's hope that everything will turn out allright for Kim. It's a pity that something like that has to happen to ANY player,but especially to one who is not only one of the best on the tour,but also an extremely nice person. Get well soon Kim.

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM
well not permanently, but just for untill the wrist is 110%

And also, I hope Kim does what Arnaud Clement did, play exo's and the like just not using that wrist.

Fingon
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:14 PM

errm, I don't think it's something you can change at that stage, it's a completely different shot, it would mean to learn the shot all over again, that takes years.

Plus, if you say the backhand is not an important part of Kim's game then you have no clue whatsoever or you have never seen her play, her backhand is a HUGE part of her game and in fact is IMO her best shot.

Telling Kim to change to a one-handed backhand would be the same as asking Serena to switch to an underhand serve :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Serve-and-volley. One-handed.
If Kim had that kind of common sense, she wouldn't be marrying Hewitt. :tape:

Gerri
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:46 PM
If Kim had that kind of common sense, she wouldn't be marrying Hewitt. :tape:

Oh, that's a bit harsh ;) I hope she's not forced to retire, that's a terrible way for a career to end. Hopefully with enough rest and the right rehab she can come back next season.

Get well soon Kim :kiss:

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:53 PM

:confused:

kim's backhand is her most important shot, her forehand may hit harder but her backhand is consistent plus its not so easy to just change to a 1 hand backhand, sampras changed from 2 to 1 hands early in his career and it cost him YEARS of good results. unlike pete, kim relys on her backhand and to just change like that will not be easy it will take kim a very long time to get anywhere close to her prier results by totally changing her backhand, maybe she never would

esquímaux
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:56 PM
it will take kim a very long time to get anywhere close to her prier results by totally changing her backhand, maybe she never would
Definitely, and in this day-n-age of cutthroat play, players would hit EVERYTHING to her backhand side :tape:.

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:30 PM
y'all are right. Kim really wouldn't do well with a 1 hander.
I forgot her game NEEDS that shot. Because when her forehands are landing 3 yards out, its the only thing she has left.

It's just been so long since I've seen her play :sad:

I really liked Kim, such a nice girl.
(When I talk about her forehand, not trying to hate, just stating truth. They have sometimes landed YARDS out. Like WAY out. But then again Venus.... :o :tape: )

thelittlestelf
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I don't buy it.

Get well soon Kim :yeah:.

thalle
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:54 PM
:sad:

tenn_ace
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:23 PM
damn damn damn :mad:

get well Kim and come back, please

Buitenzorg
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Kimmy :sad:

another doubtful future for one of my all time favorite after Hingis :sad:

get well soon Kimmy , we always love you! ;)

tenn_ace
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Never believe anything coming out of Kim's or Jhh camp, those two teams are famous for lying. I will never forget the AO when all the rumors were flying that Kim might withdraw..yadda, yadda, yadda......I do not know why they do things like that, what they gain from spreading lies. If you want to learn to be decitefull just look for a little country call Belgium and find out where Kim and Jhh live and move there but make sure you get with they camp other wise you will never get being deciteful it right.

just like Williams camp is lying making sisters commit to tournaments and then withdraw the last minute in many cases without a reason :wavey:

I do not know why they do things like that, what they gain from spreading lies. If you want to learn to be decitefull just look for a country like..... and find out where Williams sisters live and move there but make sure you get with they camp other wise you will never get being deciteful it right.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Never believe anything coming out of Kim's or Jhh camp, those two teams are famous for lying. I will never forget the AO when all the rumors were flying that Kim might withdraw..yadda, yadda, yadda......I do not know why they do things like that, what they gain from spreading lies. If you want to learn to be decitefull just look for a little country call Belgium and find out where Kim and Jhh live and move there but make sure you get with they camp other wise you will never get being deciteful it right.

Well excuse you but this doesn't come from Kim's camp, it comes from the tournamen doctor he is not part of Kim's medical team nor her camp as you put it. He is entititled to his opinion yet it has not been generated by Kim or anyone associated with her.

RVD
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Ahh MAN! I hope this isn't true!
I remember seeing Kim play in person for the first time. It was at the BOTWC against Venus. Venus whupped her, but she was so sweet and complimentary, and truly seemed to appreciate the crowd support. Then the Bank of The West folks handed Venus this BIG FREAKIN' STUFFED BEAR and Kim started laughing at her. :lol: :lol:

Get well soon Kim. You'd be sorely missed if you retired from tennis. :sad:

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Oh no. :sad:

This is getting from bad to worse.. :crying2:

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Kimmy

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
;(

Mariangelina
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
:sad: Please get well Kim, and win a Slam, or just coming back is fine too! :sad:

bee
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Feel sorry for Kim...
I always find the two handed backhand or forehand stroke.. very awkward. It doesn't seem natural.. Maybe.. that is the reason why kim or venus are injured all the time. :)

Slumpsova
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Oh no. :sad:

This is getting from bad to worse.. :crying2:

i know :sad: :sad: :sad:

the worst thing is Elke had to quit tennis because of an injury too...let's hope it's not gonna happen to Kim.

i remembered when Kim wrote in her diary months ago. she said her injury seemed like Marat's, right now Marat can comeback to the tour again and win some titles, i belive our Kimmie can do it too.

i don't care anymore if she can win GS or get no. 1 back, i just want her to come back :sad: :sad: :sad:

i really miss her :bigcry:

Elke
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Clijsters injury not career-threatening: Hewitt (http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200410/s1214180.htm)
Tue Oct 5, 2004 10:23 PM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Belgian Kim Clijsters is unsure about the exact nature of the injury that has prematurely ended her season, her fiance Lleyton Hewitt said on Wednesday.

Clijsters suffered a new wrist injury at the weekend while playing her first tournament in almost five months, at the Belgian Open.

The former world number one had already spent a lengthy spell on the sidelines after tearing tendons and having surgery on the same left wrist to remove a cyst.

"We're not sure what the exact problem is, how long it's going to be and what the facts are," Hewitt told Reuters.

"Obviously after you spend that long out and do all the rehab after surgery, it's definitely disappointing." But Hewitt, in Tokyo for this week's Japan Open, denied media reports the injury was career-threatening.

"Yeah, I don't know where that came from," said the Australian. "She was obviously hitting the ball well, won a couple of matches and wasn't really feeling much pain at all.

"Then to actually hurt it again, the same wrist. I think she spent enough time out. I don't think she came back too early."

Doctors have reassured Clijsters, who is right-handed but uses a double-fisted backhand, that the new injury is not as serious as the last one.

She quit her semi-final against Russia's Elena Bovina midway through the second set in Brussels on Saturday. Clijsters and former men's number one Hewitt plan to wed in February.

fleemke³
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Brussels :scratch:

Let's hope it isn't that bad at all :)

Hagar
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM
errm, I don't think it's something you can change at that stage, it's a completely different shot, it would mean to learn the shot all over again, that takes years.

Plus, if you say the backhand is not an important part of Kim's game then you have no clue whatsoever or you have never seen her play, her backhand is a HUGE part of her game and in fact is IMO her best shot.

Telling Kim to change to a one-handed backhand would be the same as asking Serena to switch to an underhand serve :rolleyes:
Didn't Justine fundamentally change her service motion?

Twohanded backhand and onehanded backhand are similar at the beginning of the movement, the grip of the racket is similar. Yes, it would take some time but it is not impossible.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM
there's an article about the wrist on Kim's official site, so finally some official news instead of all the gossip we got the last couple of days...
I translated it for CCL, thought I could post it here too.
it's not an easy article, plenty of medical terms etc., so there could be some mistakes in it! sorry for that :o

Wat is er aan de hand met de pols? 06-10-2004

Wat is er nu juist aan de hand met de pols van Kim. Dokter Francis Lemmens geeft tekst en uitleg.

Vooreerst wil Kim erg graag alle mensen (tennisliefhebbers, artsen en kinesisten) bedanken voor de talloze blijken van steun en sympathie, die de voorbije dagen toestroomden. Zij vormden een deugddoend tegengewicht voor de soms erg sensationele en speculatieve uitspraken die sinds zaterdag in diverse media opdoken.

Om de herstelfase verder rustig te laten verlopen, wil Kim iedereen zo nauwkeurig mogelijk op de hoogte houden. Daarom het volgend wat langer en misschien wat ingewikkeld (de waarheid is vaak niet eenvoudig of sensationeel) verhaal over wat werkelijk aan de hand is met haar pols.

Verder onderzoek in Antwerpen heeft de zaterdagavond in Genk gestelde diagnose wat kunnen verfijnen. Boosdoener is inderdaad de pees van een polsstrekker (extensor carpi ulnaris).

Deze pees moet bij het draaien van de pols (pro- en supinatie) wat over het uiteinde van het onderarmbeen (=ulna) kunnen heen draaien. Om die reden ligt ze in een soort gootje, waar ze vrij in kan bewegen zonder echter het gootje te verlaten (=subluxeren van de pees).

Verder wordt deze pees bij elke backhandbeweging aan enorme trekkrachten blootgesteld (door de zeer snelle overgang van volledige strekking naar volledige buiging). Zeker bij een krachtige en beweeglijke speelster als Kim is (over-)belasting van deze pees dan ook een voortdurende dreiging.

Op de nieuwe beelden in Antwerpen zien we ontstekingsreactie (zwelling) rond de pees en nog wat littekenweefsel op de rand van het gootje. Een 'gezwollen' pees moet dus in een 'enger' gootje bewegen, waardoor er uiteraard veel meer wrijving (en dus nog meer ontsteking) optreedt.

Een kleine ongelukkige beweging kan dan ook volstaan, om zoals in de match tegen Bovina, plots de pees zodanig pijn te doen, dat verder spelen onmogelijk wordt en helaas een nieuwe rustpauze zich opdringt.

Geruststellend is echter dat er geen echte scheur in de pees zichtbaar is en de pees evenmin gesubluxeerd (= uit het 'gootje') is. De kwaliteit van de peesvezels is ook nog prima.

Tenslote bevestigen beelden en onderzoek nog eens dat de operatiestreek geen problemen stelt: de kleine scheur aan de overgang van pees naar TFCC complex is volledig geheeld en ook van de polscyste en van de ontsteking (overbelasting) van de handwortelbeentjes is geen sprake meer. Enkel het vrij overvloedige littekenweefsel zorgt voor wat (tijdelijke) hinder.

Al bij al lijken de vooruitzichten dan ook vrij positief: rust (minimum 6 weken), een brace en ontstekingswerende medicatie moeten normaal volstaan om de ontsteking te doen verdwijnen. Van een operatie lijkt momenteel geen sprake.

Nadien zal een voorzichtig revalidatieprogramma moeten helpen om Kim in 2005 terug aan de top te krijgen. De evolutie van de genezing en van het littekenweefsel zal intussen zeer nauwkeurig worden opgevolgd (in binnen- en buitenland).

Nogmaals dank aan iedereen voor alle steun !

English version:
What is going on with the wrist? 06-10-2004

What is really going on with Kim’s wrist? Doctor Francis Lemmens gives some explanation.

First of all Kim really wants to thank all the people (tennislovers, doctors and physio’s) for the countless shows of support and sympathy, that she received the last couple of days. They were really important in contrast with the sometimes very sensational and speculative quotes that since Saturday appeared in different media.

To let the recovery phase go as quiet and restful as possible, Kim wants to keep everyone informed as accurate as possible. Because of that, the following a bit longer and maybe a bit complicated (the truth often isn't easy or sensational) story about what is really going on with her wrist.

Further examinations in Antwerp have been able to refine the diagnosis that was made on Saturday evening in Genk. The harm indeed is the tendon of the wrist extensor (extensor carpi ulnaris).

The tendon has to turn a bit around the end of the for-arm bone (=ulna) during the turning of the wrist (pro- and supination). Because of that it is in a sort of gutter where it can move free without really leaving the gutter (=subluxating of the tendon).

Next to that, the tendon is exposed to huge pulling power (because of the very quick transition of full stretching to full bending) with every backhand move. Especially with a powerful and mobile player like Kim is, overburdening of this tendon is a constant threat.

On the new photos made in Antwerp, we can see an inflammation reaction (swelling) round the tendon and some more scar tissue (I suppose?) on the edge of the gutter. So a ‘swollen’ tendon has to move in a more ‘narrow’ gutter, because of what there is off course more friction (and also more inflammation).

A small unfortunate movement can be enough, like in the match against Bovina, to all of a sudden hurt the tendon that much, that playing becomes impossible and unfortunately a new break is necessary.

Reassuring is however that there is no new tear visible in the tendon and neither the tendon is subluxed (=out of the ‘gutter’. Also the quality of the tendon fibre is still first-class.

Again that the area where she had surgery is not causing any problems: the little tear in the transition of the tendon to TFCC complex is totally healed and there’s also no sign anymore of the wrist cyst and the inflammation (overburdening) of the (handwortelbeentjes, don’t know how to translate it, the little bones in your hand).
Only the pretty copious scar tissue causes a temporary obstacle.

All in all the prospects seem pretty positive: rest (minimum 6 weeks), a brace and anti-inflammatory medication should normally suffice to make the inflammation disappear.
At this moment a surgery seems out of the question.

Afterwards a careful recovery program will have to help to get Kim back at the tip in 2005. In the meantime, the evolution of the healing and the scar tissue will be followed accurately (at home and abroad).

Again thank you to everyone for all the support!

Wimanna
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM
OK, now we know exactly what's going on ;) It doens't seem too bad, but still it's delicate. Tnx Sarah :)

Rub
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:36 AM
this is so sad!! :sad: