PDA

View Full Version : Is learning French really that hard?

V.Melb
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Is french really that hard to learn?

I have been studying it individually for about a month now. Most people think i am taking classes when they hear me... not because i know very much.... but my pronounciations are very good.
Anways, my grandmother speaks french but even she said it was very difficult to learn! --- my dad speaks it.... he says it is a waste of time for me to learn, in fact, he avoids even speaking it to me! ...says i should focus on uni instead.

I really want to learn it properly.
Apparently, if i go and spend 6 months in france i will learn the language twice as fast.
There is this gril that i always talk to over the phone, interstate... she speaks it fluently, she is not of french origin, but has studied it extensivly.
Do u think the only way i will leanr it is to actually go there? (i hav some family there)
I still consider going to Canada to learn it.... untill those stupid Canadian tourists told me to avoid Quebec! (is it pronounced cebec in french?)
Should i keep studying on my own?
Is getting a tutor helpfull for a language?
Je me sens Confus.....

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Actually, knowing more than one language is a very good thing. French is hard if only because the grammer is sort of ass backwards from American. But if you can master French, than Italian and Spanish will not be as hard as thery are very closely related.

lilly
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:40 AM
You can get a good base for reading and comprehending on your own (preferably with someone guiding), but for speaking and really understanding native speakers being drowned in the language-environment is preferable.
You seem very motivated (even when those surrounding you aren't), which is the start of everything. :yeah: Good luck!

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:46 AM
You can get a good base for reading and comprehending on your own (preferably with someone guiding), but for speaking and really understanding native speakers being drowned in the language-environment is preferable.
You seem very motivated (even when those surrounding you aren't), which is the start of everything. :yeah: Good luck!In fact that is why we have "French Imerrsion" schools here in Ontario

XaDavK_Kapri
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Do you want private lessons ? :hehehe:

Seriously, I can't really tell you if learning it is difficult or not because it's my first language, I just know that it's more difficult to learn than other languages, mostly because of the many exceptions there are in the grammar. But except that, if you really put your mind to it, it's like any other language. A few new sounds, new pronounciations, etc.

And why should you avoid Québec ? :rolleyes: I think we already talked about this in an another thread, right ? You can learn as good a French here as in France.

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Do you want private lessons ? :hehehe:

"Speak Into the microphone" :drool: :lol:

switz
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:48 AM
french is not that hard to learn.

Shenanigans
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Learning any language is hard and also depends on what your first language is, if it is English then there are alot of grammer differences and you have things like masc. and fem to learn, which do not exist in English. Also the good thing for English speakers is there alot of words in English derived from French, obviously pronounced differently.

But they say, on average it takes at least a year being in the country and doing a regular course to become fluent, a Spanish or Italian speaker will obviously pick up French quicker.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:39 AM
untill those stupid Canadian tourists told me to avoid Quebec!

They were indeed stupid. Don't listen to them, there is nothing wrong with Quebec.

GBFH
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:40 AM
quebec is where all of the hot men live. grar.

bw2082
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
If you're motivated, things are always a little easier to learn than if you're not. Try it. You have nothing to lose.

V.Melb
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:15 AM
very true. I am seriously motivated.
I don't think a day has gone by in which i have not studied my french handbook.
Can someone tell me more about these immersion schools?

If Spanish, Italian and French are so similar.... is English a very hard language to learn?

thanks for the replies and confidence boosters... I have actually picked up quite well on the fem and masc words.... what confuses me is the sentence structure,..... the book says it is similar to english - but it is not!
also the joining of words if a bit confusing....... Jaime - i like
Je Voudrais - i would like.
Also the phrase book worder Ca Te Plait --- do you like? .... but it doesn't make sense to me!
I am well aware of Vous and Tu used in many words also. :)

salima
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I found French very difficult to learn.(I never got into it) I found it non-logical in the proun. Grammar is easy compared to German, Russian, Finnish or even the Scandinavian languages.:confused: :confused: :confused:

It comes to the history that I was considerably tired of school at the moment, and that the teacher did considered me as a hopeless case from lesson one:p

matthias
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM
i think i depens on how your talent for languages is, some people have a talent for languages and have no problems with new languages
and other people (like me) have problems

rand
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I'd say, going over there is very useful, but if I were you I'd try to learn as much as you can first in your own country...it will help a lot for starting speaking french when you arrive in france...or quebec....or BVelgium :banana:

LostGlory
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=V.Melb]Is french really that hard to learn?

I have been studying it individually for about a month now. Most people think i am taking classes when they hear me... not because i know very much.... but my pronounciations are very good.
Anways, my grandmother speaks french but even she said it was very difficult to learn! --- my dad speaks it.... he says it is a waste of time for me to learn, in fact, he avoids even speaking it to me! ...says i should focus on uni instead.QUOTE]

French is not difficult at all as long as you practise and try to learn, the more languages you know the stronger you get, I speak 4 languages fluently as fluent as my mother tongue and this is the biggest advantage on my CV along with 2 very decent degrees, your dad is right you should concentrate on UNI but also having a few languages is a big plus for your future....

rand
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I found French very difficult to learn.(I never got into it) I found it non-logical in the proun. Grammar is easy compared to German, Russian, Finnish or even the Scandinavian languages.:confused: :confused: :confused:

It comes to the history that I was considerably tired of school at the moment, and that the teacher did considered me as a hopeless case from lesson one:p
:confused: IMHO the grammar is very divfficult, but the pronunciation is much more absurd in english for example...

V.Melb
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Well.
Spur of the moment really, i just emailed a tutor i found on a local internet site.
It is a female tutor so i won't be freaked out coz i hate using the internet for 'first contact' .
Anways.... a tutor should help. If she lives locally it would be great to practice face-to-face with someone!

Pronouciation is the easiest part of french for me.... sentence structure and 'joint' words still kill me.
I hope i can get this tutor... it would really be great.
French is EASILY the most sophisticated sounding langauge i have ever heard... thats why i am so taken to study it.

Come-on-kim
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I think it must be hard to study... I can't even say I write French without any mistakes as grammar is soooo difficult!

"Sluggy"
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
learning spoken french is not that hard to do. If you study for a semester in france, and you integrate well, go to cafes and hang out with french people, you will learn the language. the best way is to have a girlfriend or a boyfriend and speak with them. Nothing better than love to spark the mind. learning and speaking french is great. Itll help you in life, certainly helped me. Mostly it helped cause it quailifies you for dating french girls in the States, and provided an oppty for me to leave the States as well. Learning French will not make you rich though. it probably wont help you get a job, or at least a good paying one. but it will enrich your life.

flyingmachine
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Is french really that hard to learn?

Anways, my grandmother speaks french but even she said it was very difficult to learn! --- my dad speaks it.... he says it is a waste of time for me to learn, in fact, he avoids even speaking it to me! ...says i should focus on uni instead.

I really want to learn it properly.
Apparently, if i go and spend 6 months in france i will learn the language twice as fast.
There is this gril that i always talk to over the phone, interstate... she speaks it fluently, she is not of french origin, but has studied it extensivly.
Do u think the only way i will leanr it is to actually go there? (i hav some family there)
I still consider going to Canada to learn it.... untill those stupid Canadian tourists told me to avoid Quebec! (is it pronounced cebec in french?)
Should i keep studying on my own?
Is getting a tutor helpfull for a language?
Je me sens Confus.....
It's not that difficult if you compare something like CHINESE. ;) Anyway like Frog Burger said if you study in France it will definely help.
Good Luck

Jeff
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
All I have to say is that I took french for four years in high school, and then again i took intermediate french my freshman year in college. Now I have nobody to really talk to with it, so my knowledge of it is slowly diminshing :( I enjoyed taking french, though. Most my friends chose Spanish instead...since it's more useful here, but I wanted something different.

rand
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
It's not that difficult if you compare something like CHINESE. ;) Anyway like Frog Burger said if you study in France it will definely help.
Good Luck
I've started chinese last week :banana:

salima
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM
:confused: IMHO the grammar is very divfficult, but the pronunciation is much more absurd in english for example...
perhaps I didn't reach as far as the difficult grammar, but I can't see it can compare at all with Russian and Finnish. English on the other hand, has "no grammar at all";)

propi
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I find it hard, but hey, just give a try, it's a nice language:D
About being similar to Italian and Spanish... well, yes and no. Italian and Spanish are much similar between themselves, but if you learn some French structures you won't have problems with their similar in Italian :)
I find Italian as the middle step from French to Spanish :o but if France wasn't there, Italy and Spain would probably speak the same language, or so some teachers think :o