PDA

View Full Version : The 2004 MLB Playoff Thread

lizchris
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Well, with Houston winning today and Minnesota losing today, the Major League playoffs matchups have been set. They are :

American League
Minnesota Twins @ New York Yankees (best-of-five series starts at New York on Tuesday night on the FOX television network)

Boston Red Sox @ Anaheim Angeles (best-of-five series starts at Anaheim on Tuesday afternoon on ESPN)

National League
Los Angeles Dodgers @ St. Louis Cardnials (best-of-five series starts at St. Louis on Tuesday afternoon on ESPN)

Houston Astros @ Atlanta Braves (best-of-five series starts at Atlanta on Wednesday night on FOX television network)

Carolina Girl
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:44 PM
should be good:)

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Well, with Houston winning today and Minnesota losing today, the Major League playoffs matchups have been set. They are :

American League
Minnesota Twins @ New York Yankees (best-of-five series starts at New York on Tuesday night on the FOX television network)

Boston Red Sox @ Anaheim Angeles (best-of-five series starts at Anaheim on Tuesday afternoon on ESPN)

National League
Los Angeles Dodgers @ St. Louis Cardnials (best-of-five series starts at St. Louis on Tuesday afternoon on ESPN)

Houston Astros @ Atlanta Braves (best-of-five series starts at Atlanta on Wednesday night on FOX television network)
Well, since I picked all four of the AL playoff teams prior to the season (went one for four in the NL), I will bless you with my playoff predictions.

Dodgers over the Cardinals in four. The Cardinals pitching is hella suspect.
Astros over Braves in four. The Braves still suck.

Red Sox over Angels in four.
Yankees over Twins in four.

Astros over Dodgers in five
Red Sox over Yankees in five

Red Sox over Astros in six (at which point I shoot myself in the head)

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Cubs :rolleyes:

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Cubs :rolleyes:
What a bunch of chokers. They had the team this year too but Sammy Sosa and Moises Alou decided to really suck when it mattered most. Terrible. It makes me sad that the fucking Sawx will win before them.

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:55 AM
GO
BOSTON
RED
SOX!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:02 AM
my family and I will be watching every night game :)

GBFH
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:04 AM
What a bunch of chokers. They had the team this year too but Sammy Sosa and Moises Alou decided to really suck when it mattered most. Terrible. It makes me sad that the fucking Sawx will win before them.
my aunt called today and told me steve stone said on air that the cubs suck. dusty baker and the players all got really mad...too be it wasn't mad enough to win :rolleyes:

Amadé
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif The Dodgers better do something this year. They better not pull what the Lakers did to me. Do something memorable (Kobe's shot against Portland and Fisher's against San Ann) only to lose in 5 games. Because if they do, it's time to raid McBankrupt's house! :fiery:

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:17 AM
my aunt called today and told me steve stone said on air that the cubs suck. dusty baker and the players all got really mad...too be it wasn't mad enough to win :rolleyes:
That's the problem, Alou and Sosa blame everyone but themselves. It's horrible. That team needs a real veteran leader. Too bad Sosa isn't going anywhere. Posturing dick.

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:18 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif The Dodgers better do something this year. They better not pull what the Lakers did to me. Do something memorable (Kobe's shot against Portland and Fisher's against San Ann) only to lose in 5 games. Because if they do, it's time to raid McBankrupt's house! :fiery:
As I said, they will beat the Cardinals but that is about it. The team just isn't that good.

GBFH
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:23 AM
That's the problem, Alou and Sosa blame everyone but themselves. It's horrible. That team needs a real veteran leader. Too bad Sosa isn't going anywhere. Posturing dick.
haven't liked the cubs much since marcus gracious left...but not a lot has changed....sammy still strikes out as much as he hits, can't play outfield for shit, and his peoples still love him.

Amadé
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:33 AM
As I said, they will beat the Cardinals but that is about it. The team just isn't that good.
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif That is true, but 53 comebacks has to stand for something, not to mention the most in the major league from the 8th inning on. That stands good for when they go against the Astro, if your first round predictions come out because the Astros have a pretty bad bullpen. Worst ERA of any of the NL playoff teams. That may work out to my liking. :)

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif That is true, but 53 comebacks has to stand for something, not to mention the most in the major league from the 8th inning on. That stands good for when they go against the Astro, if your first round predictions come out because the Astros have a pretty bad bullpen. Worst ERA of any of the NL playoff teams. That may work out to my liking. :)
Won't matter when Clemens and Oswalt get them to Brad Lidge single-handedly.

Amadé
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:40 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif Unfortunately for them its not a best 2 out of 3. Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling proved you can do with two superstars but Clemens and Oswalt do not match up to Johnson and Shilling. :)

Steam
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:16 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif Unfortunately for them its not a best 2 out of 3. Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling proved you can do with two superstars but Clemens and Oswalt do not match up to Johnson and Shilling. :)
Clemens and Oswalt should get four starts between them in that series, but they won't need it. The Astros have a better offense than the Dodgers by a relatively wide margin.

Amadé
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:37 AM
http://www.kournikova.com/community/images/smilies/king.gif Having a better offense can be over come. I think the Dodgers in 88 showed us that. All you need is heart and some luck. Those two things have been going the Dodgers way.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:41 AM
As if they weren't cursed enough, I'm going to root for the Red Sox :devil:

GBFH
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
lol!

what did the red sox ever do to YOU, huh? :lol:

lizchris
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Well, since I picked all four of the AL playoff teams prior to the season (went one for four in the NL), I will bless you with my playoff predictions.

Dodgers over the Cardinals in four. The Cardinals pitching is hella suspect.
Astros over Braves in four. The Braves still suck.

Red Sox over Angels in four.
Yankees over Twins in four.

Astros over Dodgers in five
Red Sox over Yankees in five

Red Sox over Astros in six (at which point I shoot myself in the head)Here are my predictions:

Divison Series
Cardinals over Dodgers in four
Braves over Astros in four

Angels over Red Sox in four
Yankees over Twins in four (five if Yankee lose Game 1)

ALCS
Yankees over Angels in six

NLCS
Cardnials over Braves in five

World Series
Cardnials over Yankees in five (this hurts coming from a Yankee fan):sad:

lizchris
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:37 PM
This isn't playoff news, but I knew today there would be at least one managerial firing in MLB. Bob Melvin, who managed the Seattle Mariners, was fired this morning. He joins Art Howe of the Mets and Larry Bowa of the Phillies looking for work. If the Mariners don't name a replacement by tonight, they will have to wait until the end of the World Series to do so.

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:11 PM
As if they weren't cursed enough, I'm going to root for the Red Sox :devil::scared: Oh No! Once Agian Becca and I are of like mind! I must be going insane! :crazy:

lizchris
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:24 PM
NLDS Los Angeles vs. St. Louis Game 1:
St. Louis won 8-3
Next Game: Thursday night @8:00

Barrie_Dude
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:25 AM
:dance: The Red Sox Are Dusting The Angels! :dance::crazy: :rocker: :rocker2: :banana: :aparty:

lizchris
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:14 AM
ALDS Boston vs. Anaheim Game 1:
Boston won 9-3
Next Game: tomorrow night @10:00

lizchris
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:20 AM
ALDS Minnesota vs. New York Game 1:
Minnesota won 2-0:mad: :fiery:
Next Game: tomorrow night @7:00

Steam
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Yankees squandered too many damn opportunites. Would be nice to get some clutch hitting.

lizchris
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Yankees squandered too many damn opportunites. Would be nice to get some clutch hitting.
Agreed

I'm afriad this is going to be 2002 all over again.

GBFH
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:44 AM
stop showing torre on the bench. he's not capable of emoting anything other than boredom.

GBFH
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:44 AM
where is hurley?

Steam
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM
I think I'm going to be sick.

GBFH
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:29 AM
knee-jerk reaction? :angel:

GBFH
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:30 AM
the twins will choke.

yanks will make the world series.

Steam
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:32 AM
...and I'm spent.

pcrtennis
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:33 AM
The Twins will win, at the metrodome!!!!! Yankees are trash...and so are New York fans...they're disgusting

bigshow21
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Go Red Sox & Dodgers!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Steam
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:44 AM
The Twins will win, at the metrodome!!!!! Yankees are trash...and so are New York fans...they're disgusting
Not with Carlos Silva pitching they won't. Yankees in four (they are due to beat Santana)

lizchris
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM
NLDS Houston vs. Atlanta Game 1:
Houston won 9-3:fiery: :mad:
Next Game: Thursday aftrnoon @4:00

lizchris
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:19 PM
ALDS Minnesota vs. New York Game 2:
New York won 7-6 (12 innings):bounce: :worship: :)
Next Game: Friday TBA

lizchris
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:22 PM
ALDS Boston vs. Anaheim Game 2:
Boston won 9-3
Next Game: Friday TBA

lakeway11
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Twins :sad:

Torii Hunter is the man :yeah:

lizchris
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Some NY fans are obnoxious, but most of them are nice.

The Twins might be in trouble because the Yankee starting pitching is acutally a little better than most people tought it would be. If the Yankees offense showed up on Tuesday night, the Twins would be down 2-0 because Mussina was ptiching great and gave up less hits than Santana; it's just that the Twins didn't waste their opportunites to score like the Yankees did. In addition, the Yankees have the momentum going into Friday with that dramatic come-from-behind win. I hope that Kevin Brown can pitch like he did last weekend in Tornoto.

GBFH
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
go houston!

heard an interesting factoid on wednesday: no texas team has ever won a playoff series.

i couldn't believe it...you'd think in the combined 70-something years of the rangers/astros existence that they'd have won at least ONE series.

hell, even the effing CUBS have won a playoff series in the past forty years.

cynicole
Oct 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Does anyone else feel like the Rally Monkeys and Thunder Sticks are soooo two years ago?

Imagine the Red Sox still using "Cowboy Up" or the Pirates making the playoffs again and using "We Are Family."

griffin
Oct 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
The Pirates using "We are Family" now might actually qualify as "retro" ;)

Steam
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Does anyone else feel like the Rally Monkeys and Thunder Sticks are soooo two years ago?

Imagine the Red Sox still using "Cowboy Up" or the Pirates making the playoffs again and using "We Are Family."
I abhor "Thunder Stix". The only teams that use them are those whose fans can't generate enough noise on their own. They are incredibly tacky and lame. Screw the Angels.

They are probably the only thing that are lamer than the whole "Cowboy Up" thing from last year. Leave it to that idiot Kevin Millar to come up with something as tacky as "Cowboy Up". Then again, thats the Red Sox for you. That whole Red Sox Nation thing is DONE.

lizchris
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:27 AM

I hate both that stupid monkey and thunder sticks and that's why I hope if the Red Sox don't get rid of the Angels on Friday, they lose in the pennant.

lizchris
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:30 AM
NLDS Houston vs. Atlanta Game 2:
Atlnata won 4-2 (11 innings)
Next Game: Saturday 1:00PM

cynicole
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM
They are probably the only thing that are lamer than the whole "Cowboy Up" thing from last year. Leave it to that idiot Kevin Millar to come up with something as tacky as "Cowboy Up". Then again, thats the Red Sox for you. That whole Red Sox Nation thing is DONE. I actually loved "Cowboy Up." It was so ridiculous and made no sense...

...just like how the rally monkey was so ridiculous and made no sense. It's great for one year. After that, it's embarrassing. :o

And I happen to like the whole "Red Sox Nation" thing. :boxing:

And I find Kevin Millar's hair endlessly amusing.

Did some drunk BC/BU/Northeastern kids torch you car or something?

cynicole
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I hate both that stupid monkey and thunder sticks
I liked them the first time around (more the monkey than the sticks). I just think taking them back out again is extremely tacky and pathetic (really, Anaheim fans, do you really think those sticks and the stupid monkey had anything to do with your team winning?).

Steam
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I actually loved "Cowboy Up." It was so ridiculous and made no sense...

...just like how the rally monkey was so ridiculous and made no sense. It's great for one year. After that, it's embarrassing. :o

And I happen to like the whole "Red Sox Nation" thing. :boxing:

And I find Kevin Millar's hair endlessly amusing.

Did some drunk BC/BU/Northeastern kids torch you car or something?
The Cowboy Up thing was extremely lame.

"Red Sox Nation" was ok when it was underground however it is now really overplayed. The worst is that "Pledge Allegiance to Red Sox Nation" commercial. I love that instead of "under God" its "under Terry". I'm pretty sure that if God was a manager he would have been able to coax this team to the Division title. He is a nothing who makes Grady Little look like Casey friggin' Stengal.

lizchris
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I liked them the first time around (more the monkey than the sticks). I just think taking them back out again is extremely tacky and pathetic (really, Anaheim fans, do you really think those sticks and the stupid monkey had anything to do with your team winning?).

Maybe it has something to do with them losing.

I think after this weekend, we may not have to worry about seeing the sticks or the monkeys again.

cynicole
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:51 AM
"Red Sox Nation" was ok when it was underground however it is now really overplayed. The worst is that "Pledge Allegiance to Red Sox Nation" commercial. I love that instead of "under God" its "under Terry". I'm pretty sure that if God was a manager he would have been able to coax this team to the Division title. He is a nothing who makes Grady Little look like Casey friggin' Stengal.
What channel do they play the "pledge allegiance" thing on? NESN? FOX? I don't recall that commercial at all...likely because I don't often pay attention to commercials. Seriously, there's something worse than the Tim Wakefield Bernie and Phyll's commercial? :o

One thing I am entirely sick of is the whole "Evil Empire" thing. I'd rather watch one of the prequels than watch another FOX hash job intro replete with Star Wars clips. I feel like slapping Larry Luchino every time I hear it.

Steam
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM
What channel do they play the "pledge allegiance" thing on? NESN? FOX? I don't recall that commercial at all...likely because I don't often pay attention to commercials. Seriously, there's something worse than the Tim Wakefield Bernie and Phyll's commercial? :o

One thing I am entirely sick of is the whole "Evil Empire" thing. I'd rather watch one of the prequels than watch another FOX hash job intro replete with Star Wars clips. I feel like slapping Larry Luchino every time I hear it.
It's on NESN constantly.

As a Yankee fan I enjoy the "Evil Empire" talk since Darth Vadar is as badass as they come. Lucchino is an idiot however. He comes off like a shady used car salesman. Oh well, I guess he at least has a personality unlike the very wooden John Henry.

cynicole
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:19 AM
As a Yankee fan I enjoy the "Evil Empire" talk since Darth Vadar is as badass as they come.
Darth Vader was a whiney bitch.

Steam
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Darth Vader was a whiney bitch.
Hell no. He got to have sex with Queen Amidala, put Obi-Wan out of his misery, and told Luke that he was his father before chopping off his hand as Luke went tumbling down screaming like a little girl (the Luke:Vadar::Pedro:Yankees analogy is quite juicy as well).

Vadar got soft in the end but thats what happens when you get old, just look at the bumbling baffoon Steinbrenner.

lizchris
Oct 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM
NLDS Los Angeles vs. St. Louis Game 2:
St. Louis won 8-3
Next Game: Saturday 8:00PM

lizchris
Oct 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM
ALDS Boston vs. Anaheim Game 3:
Boston won 8-6 (10 innings):mad: :fiery:

Boston wins the best-of-5 series in 3 games. They await the winner of the Yankees/Twins series. The ALCS starts Tuesday night in either New York or Minneapolis.

GBFH
Oct 9th, 2004, 01:40 AM
way to go, red sox :)

GBFH
Oct 9th, 2004, 01:41 AM
my g-pa is smiling in heaven :angel:

cynicole
Oct 9th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Yay Sox! :bigclap:

No more rally monkey or thunder stix! No more games starting at 10pm!

Odd having the Lowe-ser be the one to walk away with the win.

To Steam:
Vadar was the Emperor's bitch. At least he didn't have a crappy name like Dooku.

Steam
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Yay Sox! :bigclap:

No more rally monkey or thunder stix! No more games starting at 10pm!

Odd having the Lowe-ser be the one to walk away with the win.

To Steam:
Vadar was the Emperor's bitch. At least he didn't have a crappy name like Dooku.
Good for the Sox. Now if the Yankees can pull it off in Minnesota I get the rematch I wanted since last year. Nothing beats being a Yankee fan in Massachusetts and seeing the stupid Sox fans obsess with the Yankees. I loved taunting all the toll booth collectors on the Pike during the ALCS last year and I want that again as I sport my "Beat Boston. Again..and again...and again...." T-shirt.

Hopefully the Yankees close this out.

Vadar did his own bidding. He let the Emperor think that he had the control when that wasn't the case.

lizchris
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:12 AM
ALDS Minnesota vs. New York Game 3:
New York won 8-4http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/ubb/smile.gif
Next Game: Saturday at 4:00

Go Yankees!!

Close this out and meet Boston on Tuesday!

GBFH
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:13 AM
what a surprise!

seriously, i'm shocked :eek:

lizchris
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Good for the Sox. Now if the Yankees can pull it off in Minnesota I get the rematch I wanted since last year. Nothing beats being a Yankee fan in Massachusetts and seeing the stupid Sox fans obsess with the Yankees. I loved taunting all the toll booth collectors on the Pike during the ALCS last year and I want that again as I sport my "Beat Boston. Again..and again...and again...." T-shirt.

Hopefully the Yankees close this out.

Vadar did his own bidding. He let the Emperor think that he had the control when that wasn't the case.

The Yankees are one win away!

Hopefully by this time tomrrow night, the Yankees will have won the series.

GBFH
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:29 AM
damn, jeter was doing so well until about halfway through that interview...

stop looking at the camera...creepy.

GBFH
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:40 AM
go 'stros!!! :D

cynicole
Oct 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Nothing beats being a Yankee fan in Massachusetts and seeing the stupid Sox fans obsess with the Yankees. I loved taunting all the toll booth collectors on the Pike during the ALCS last year and I want that again as I sport my "Beat Boston. Again..and again...and again...." T-shirt.

:rolleyes:

lizchris
Oct 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM
NLDS Houston vs. Atlanta Game 3:
Houston won 8-5http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/firey.gif http://wtaworld.com/ubb/mad.gif
Next Game: Sunday @1:00

Barrie_Dude
Oct 9th, 2004, 10:54 PM
go 'stros!!! :DHouston Won! {woohoo: But they do not stand a chance against St Louis if they get that far!

My Beloved Sox are eagerly awaiting the Yankes! :woohoo:

lizchris
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:45 AM
ALDS Minnesota vs. New York Game 4:
New York won 6-5 (11 innings)http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

New York wins the best-of-5 series in 4 games!

Bring it on, Boston!!

The ALCS starts Tuesday night in New York!!

Steam
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:47 AM
<Cue the theme for the Evil Empire>

And so it begins...again.

Hopefully, the rematch is as exciting as the first.

GBFH
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:48 AM
wow.

i'm like, so shocked again! really.

yanks in five.

Steam
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:58 AM
In my baseball reports that I do for my friends I picked the Sox in 5. Hopefully, The Steamer prediction curse works to perfection.

GBFH
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:59 AM
the sox already have babe ruth...makes your curse superfluous.

yanks in five. won't even require the sox to choke, they'll just get hammered.

Steam
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:02 AM
There is no such thing as "The Curse of the Bambino", that is just bullshit propaganda spread by the devil, Dan Shaughnessy (Meghan's asshole uncle).

However, there IS such thing as inferior teams, managers, etc. Thats what the Sox have been the receipient of. Hell, when was the last time they had a competant manager?

lizchris
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:03 AM
wow.

i'm like, so shocked again! really.

yanks in five.

I was shocked too because I thougt the Yankees coming back to New York to play Game five until the eight inning. However, I think the Yankees will have it harder than last year, when they really should have lost, mainly because of their dearth in ptiching. If the Yankees pull it out, it will take six or seven gam, but their chances to win were made easier when the Yankees wo the series tonight.

GBFH
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:08 AM
There is no such thing as "The Curse of the Bambino", that is just bullshit propaganda spread by the devil, Dan Shaughnessy (Meghan's asshole uncle).

However, there IS such thing as inferior teams, managers, etc. Thats what the Sox have been the receipient of. Hell, when was the last time they had a competant manager?
ergo...there's no such thing as the 'steam prediction curse.' phew.

lizchris
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:09 AM

I think there is a curse and if you need any examples, I will give you the 1986 World Series vs. the NY Mets when that poor slob Bill Buckner let that ball go under his legs and last year's ALCS against the Yankees when they were six outs away from the World Series and the Yankees came all the way back to win the game in extra innings.

GBFH
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:09 AM
well i was just being an idiot (really? how could you tell?)

if there's ANYONE out there who really thought the effing TWINS were gonna win that series, raise your hands so you'll be easier to find and smack over the head.

lizchris
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:35 AM
NLDS Los Angeles vs. St. Louis Game 3:
Los Angeles won 4-0
Next Game: Sunday 8:00PM

Steam
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:46 AM
I think there is a curse and if you need any examples, I will give you the 1986 World Series vs. the NY Mets when that poor slob Bill Buckner let that ball go under his legs and last year's ALCS against the Yankees when they were six outs away from the World Series and the Yankees came all the way back to win the game in extra innings.
Sigh.

Billy Buck should have never been in that game. Stapleton had been being used as a defensive replacement throughout the run and McNamera decided to leave in Buckner for the "clincher". That was what cost them on that play, not "The Curse". And why the fuck is it always Buckner that gets the blame? People do realize that that game was tied when Mookie hit that dribbler? Blame Bob Stanley and Rich Gedman, if anybody.

As for last year, it wasn't "The Curse" that caused Grady Little to leave in an obviously worn out Pedro, it was stupidity. Take out Pedro and most likely that rally comes to a screeching halt and the Sox go on to win not only that game but the World Series.

Like I said, there is no "Curse" just a whole hell of a lot of bad decisions.

JustineTime
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:52 AM
The "Curse" is real, palpable, and fun as hell to watch play out! :lol:

I was watching that '86 game, rooting for the Sox and couldn't believe an ex-Dodger blew the series for 'em! :eek: That was the most unbelieveable series I've ever seen!

That being said, Lima is in the zone! :bounce:

That was fun, but can the Dodgers mount another comeback? :confused:

I'd like ta think so, but I have to remain a naysayer so the Doggies can prove me wrong! :D

lizchris
Oct 10th, 2004, 11:30 PM
NLDS Houston vs. Atlanta Game 4:
Atlanta won 6-5:)
Next Game: Monday either 4:00 or 8:00 (time depends on the result of the Dodgers/Cardinals game tonight; if the Cardnials win, the game is at 8:00; if the Dodgers win, then the game is at 4:00)

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:18 AM
special bump-o ;)

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:23 AM
lol, don't we *all* feel that way about liz? :lol:

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Good thing the White Sox were eliminated.

My sorta favorite team, Atlanta, is still alive. They will win Game 5. Allez.
Lindsay's favorite team used to be Atlanta before marrying LEACH. Now she's an Anaheim "fan".

Yankkes will be down 2-0, but you know they'll somehow find a way to win in extra innings the next three games. :zzz:

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:30 AM
meh. the cubs and rangers choked to death in the stretch-run...may the team who wins the most games prevail.

i have the bubba-disease of fucking up words. shoot me.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Yes, the Yanks must win all games in Boston.

I can't wait to watch that series. I have this sick joy of watching people fail over and over and over again.
No Clemens now though, so I predict less fun.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Something just popped up on the news about Mariano Rivera's "family tragedy", whatever that may be. Without him the Yanks are just in deeper shit...

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Meh, I never cared for Roger anyway. The constant "OMG this is THE final game that Clemens is EVER pitching" for every start was quite annoying.

I want controversy. And fights with ugly chicks in the stands.
I love how the Yanks gave him a new car in honor of his "last" game.

A few weeks ago some woman got hit in the face when someone in the field threw a chair in her face, if that's what you're looking for.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Fuck that... you know he's still playing.

And if he doesn't... one of their bullpen scrubs will be masterful.
They need better pitching badly. They can't go on forever relying on the last ditch hitting efforts.

Steam
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Something just popped up on the news about Mariano Rivera's "family tragedy", whatever that may be. Without him the Yanks are just in deeper shit...
His wife's cousin and his wife's cousin's son died in a pool accident at his house. He and his wife flew down to Panama and they don't know when he will return. Looks like the closing duties for Game 1 and possibly 2 will be in the hands of Tom Gordon, former Red Sox closer.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:38 AM
:haha: Constant retirements are such a great way to be an attention whore.

If I were a pro tennis player, I'd be pulling the Michael Chang year-long retirement sap story for many years.

And yes, the Oakland-Ranger incident was so damn funny.

That bitch was so nasty. :haha: :haha: :haha:
Or, do the Michael Jordan thing. Retire, switch sports, retire, switch sports, then retire again. Now that is whoring up the spotlight.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:39 AM
They will again this year, and you know it.
true true true

Steam
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Pfff... wife's cousin.

George needs to be an ass and force him to play.
Well, considering it was at his house, he went down there. He won't be gone for too long.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:40 AM
They will again this year, and you know it.
They've been doing it way too much and it's got to run out. Williams isn't hitting like he was in his glory days, Giambi is dead or something, Posada isn't hot shit on the RBI's so much as he was in the past, and you're pretty much left with Jeter, Rodriguez and the flavor of the day, which in the last game was Sierra. You know it's gotta stop somewhere.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Pfff... wife's cousin.

George needs to be an ass and force him to play.
New York news is so dramatic. You'd think his entire kinfolk were wiped out with how they were talking.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM
I don't think he did it for attention though. Mike was bored with basketball. But, he sucked so, so horribly at baseball that he couldn't keep it up. All Mike wanted to do was play golf, gamble until he was broke and screw some random whores.
Nothing wrong with gambling.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:43 AM
There's 2 chances that it stops:

Twins (it didn't)
WS against Cardinals (Yanks will likely be swept by them).

Red Sox is not one of those.
true about the sox....but the cards? eh?

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:44 AM
There's 2 chances that it stops:

Twins (it didn't)
WS against Cardinals (Yanks will likely be swept by them).

Red Sox is not one of those.
I see the Red Sox as a chance to stop it.

Though, Pedro has lost three straight to the Yanks, and also there was last years post-season implosion to think about.

I still think it is possible.

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:46 AM
The Cards offense is disgustingly strong. They'll score on the Yanks at will.
Yes, that would most likely be a 3-0 or 3-1 win for the Cards.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:46 AM
there's always hope, but....really....this is the sox, right??!?

Andrew.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:48 AM
The Yankees are stupid though. With all the money on earth George couldn't freaking buy a good starting rotation. And hitting, there are losing depth as I explained earlier. I really think that this could be their last horrah for a while.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:48 AM
death?

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:50 AM
looks like church for the dodgers.

lizchris
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:56 AM
NLDS Los Angeles vs. St. Louis Game 4:
St. Louis won 6-2

St. Louis wins the best-of-5 series in 4 games. They await the winner of the Atlnata/Houston series, which concludes tomorrow night. The NLCS starts
Wednesday night in St Louis.

Though I am not a fan of either team, though I knew the Dodgers would lose tonight, they were screwed by two bad calls from the umpires, both on their right fielder Milton Bradley.

lizchris
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:03 AM
For all of you who think Mariano's possible absence from the Yankees to deal the electrocution death of his wife's cousin and that cousin's son:sad: will affect the Yankees, remember this, Mariano has not pitched that well against Boston recently (blown save and/or loss).

FaceyFacem
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:52 AM
wait...ok, boston v. new york, how many people here have lived in both boston and new york, because i have, and i firmly admit being a yankees fan, a very proud one, but on complete impartiality, i have always been able to remove myself from a situation and look at it objectively, i believe the red sox have a better team than we do this year, i believe though, that it is similar to last year except reversed roles, last year it was offense(sox) vs. pitching(ny) and now it is offense(ny) vs. pitching(sox), i think it could be as close as ever, but overall, my defining point is, red sox fans are much more psychotic than yankees fans IN GENERAL, i'm not saying there aren't those wacko fans for ny, but having been to fenway and yankee stadium during big games and seeing crowd reaction all over in general, sox fans are more fanatical, and the problem with that becomes yankees have so much more to lose, if red sox win this the WS is almost insignificant, this is more important, we need to win because if we lose, then red sox fans will never ever shut up about it, and if the yanks win then we move on like every other year, and given the way boston people act about the sox (including some of my best friends in the whole world) i can't EVER feel ok about boston winning, it would honestly be horrible, and my final statement, i think there has to be a curse, whether psychological implanted in every new sox player due to the history, or that there really is babe ruth's spirit messing with boston, but i believe that if it is truly ruth's spirit, then since boston traded him for $125,000, the curse will last 125 yrs, so, if boston wins in 2043, so be it, but before then, YANKEES FOREVER!
p.s. i'm hoping i can go to game 6 or 7

Steam
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I'm from New Jersey and went to college and now live up in Massachusetts. The first time I met one of my best friends in college was in the campus center freshman year watching a Yankee/Red Sox game. We hated each other but then became good friends. He was the first person I called after Game 7 last year. He had called me earlier and was on the phone with me as the Sox destructed.

The Yankees are always the team with more to lose. That is just the way it is. Even if the Sox beat the Yankees they have to win the World Series. Being the World Champion of I-95 won't cut it for the Sox. Although, Red Sox fans will love beating the Yankees it won't be the same if they don't win the Series. However, my life as a Yankee fan in Red Sox country will take on more abuse.

Before the playoffs started I said Red Sox in five. I'll stick with that for now. I didn't see enough out of Brown, Lieber, or Vazquez for me to change my prediction.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:09 AM
ken caminiti died of a heart attack at 41.

RIP, hope your family is well.

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM
yeah....still terrible, though.

even if he did use roids, he didn't deserve to die so young :sad:

GBFH
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:23 AM
hmm....yeah....maybe that was caminiti who was on roids...and canseco (?) who said 80% of the league was on them.

meh.

Steam
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM
My last memory of Caminiti as a player was the '98 World Series and he couldn't even stand up after swinging or missing at strike three. Sad.

GBFH
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:51 AM
go 'stros!!!!!! :)

aussiedude
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Houston is totally fucked against the Cards. Will probably be able to only use Clemens and Oswalt once.

GBFH
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:19 AM
*****, where are the pics?

oh, the 'stros won't win...hell, they're probably relieved they finally won a playoff series. first texas team to do that. yeehaw, and all that clichéness.

aussiedude
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I'll send them eventually. I've been busy babbling on MSN. :p

GBFH
wonder if jarrett is excited? the only houstonian i know...

GBFH
yeah yeah.

tease :p

aussiedude
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:21 AM
I will send them eventually.

I'll have time while watching Elena BOVINA lose to Daniela HANTUCHOVA tomorrow morning.

GBFH
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:25 AM
alright alright.

go elena. there. not only does that guarantee she'll lose, but it'll be straight sets, too.

jinxing...just another service i offer. good night, leena :)

lizchris
Oct 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM
NLDS Houston vs. Atlanta Game 5:
Houston won 12-3:fiery: :mad:

Houston wins the best-of-5 series in 5 games. They play St. Louis tomorrow at St Louis to start the NLCS

lizchris
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM
ken caminiti died of a heart attack at 41.

RIP, hope your family is well.

BTW, a peliminary autopsy stated that Caminitti died of a drug overdose.

GBFH
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
well...the overdose led to the heart attack, no? ;)

still very sad. RIP, buddy.

GBFH
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
as if i haven't said it enough

go 'stros :)

lizchris
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:59 PM
well...the overdose led to the heart attack, no? ;)

still very sad. RIP, buddy.

They won't know for a few more weeks what the official cause of death is.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Oh Boston... why bother?

GBFH
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:10 AM
lol, indeed!

but extending to game six...that's two games longer than i anticipated.

Bacardi
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:15 AM
:bowdown: Go Yankees! :bowdown:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:16 AM
lol, indeed!

but extending to game six...that's two games longer than i anticipated.
Two games longer than necessary! Damn that Boston for dragging this out!

Crazy Canuck
I have my roomates totally confused as to who I'm rooting for. I boo at the Yankees and root for the Bosox to fuck up everytime they have an opportunity.

GBFH

GBFH
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:17 AM
I have my roomates totally confused as to who I'm rooting for. I boo at the Yankees and root for the Bosox to fuck up everytime they have an opportunity.
she'll flip yo

what?

flip yo

what???

flip YO!

Crazy Canuck
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
she'll flip yo

what?

flip yo

what???

flip YO!
I dont think that I know that song. Thank God.

GBFH
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I dont think that I know that song. Thank God.
lol

not a song. it's from the usual suspects. have no idea why it crept into the convo...

Crazy Canuck
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
It happens.

I think I'm going to READ. For real this time...yo!

GBFH
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM

roger clemens...grar :drool:

meh. you good student, you :p

GBFH
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:31 AM
oh rebecca! you shouldn't have gone now!

there's a 'sportscentury' on espnclassic about....roger clemens :hearts: :lol: