PDA

View Full Version : OMG the Tories are like so cooooool!

CondiLicious
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
... um... yeah right! :rolleyes:

Tories say what rocks their world

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40138000/jpg/_40138454_soames_203.jpg Nicholas Soames: Dido fan

Senior Tories gathering in Bournemouth for their annual conference have spoken of their secret passion for pop music.

Heavyweight defence spokesman Nicholas Soames has said he is a big fan of Dido while party co-chairman Liam Fox listens to The Scissor Sisters.

Policy co-ordinator David Cameron said he found "depressing" music by The Smiths and Pulp "strangely uplifting".

The Tories were also asked about their hobbies and "first kiss" in a film aimed at projecting a more "fun" image.

'Scarred for life'

Most of the shadow cabinet refused to say who their first kiss was, although party leader Michael Howard said it had happened at the age of 10.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40138000/jpg/_40138426_scissor_203.jpg Fox's favourites The Scissor Sisters

Mr Soames said: "I made a frightful hash of it and it may have scarred me for life."

The shadow defence spokesman said he "admired" Dido - whose albums include White Flag - "very much".

Other revelations included Michael Ancram's passion for Meatloaf and Shadow Education Secretary Tim Collins' recent purchase of Will Young's new album, although he insisted it was for his wife.

'Strangely uplifting'

Shadow chancellor Oliver Letwin said the last book he read was Downing Street strategist Philip Gould's book on Labour's 1997 election victory.

Mr Howard said the last book he read was historian David Starkey's biography of Elizabeth II.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40138000/jpg/_40138438_fox_203.jpg Dr Fox prescribes Tory fun

But perhaps the most surprising revelation was David Cameron's penchant for "miserable" music by Radiohead, Pulp and The Smiths - all well-known critics of the Conservatives. Smiths singer Morrissey once recorded a song about Margaret Thatcher called "Margaret on the Guillotine".

Mr Cameron said he found music by these bands "strangely uplifting".

"The more depressing the better," he added, describing his music tastes.

Mrs Thatcher famously named Telstar, by 1960s beat group The Tornadoes and "How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" as her favourite tunes of all time.

'Few surprises'

This year, the Tories have ditched traditional debates based around Whitehall departments in favour of "thematic" topics such as "freedom from fear", which includes pensions, crime and long-term care.

They are also hoping to get more young people beamed on the conference screens, in a series of interviews filmed around the UK. Dr Fox, whose claims to fame includes dating pop singer Natalie Imbruglia, promised journalists "a few surprises" and said the week would be "more fun" than traditional party rallies. Unveiling the conference set to the strains of remixed Elvis hit "A Little Less Conversation (A Little More Action)", he said the aim was to be "intimate and engaging".They are so desperate for votes that they think telling everyone what music they [are pretending to] like will help. It's almost as pathetic as William Hague and his baseball cap from a couple of years ago. They should just give up now.

Blah. British politics is so boring.

veryborednow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Dido, that figures.

Bbbbbbbbblllllllllllaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnndddddddddd dddd.

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
:rolls:

That's one of the most amusing articles I've read in a while.

Of course, it's also frightening.

God I can't stand Liam Fox. Mind you, I'm surprised he didn't name the Spice Girls as a favourite after his infamous joke about them ...

CondiLicious
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:35 PM
:rolls:

That's one of the most amusing articles I've read in a while.

Of course, it's also frightening.

God I HATE Liam Fox. Mind you, I'm surprised he didn't name the Spice Girls as a favourite after his infamous joke about them ...
And I also didn't really care to know when Dracula Howard had his first kiss. Losers. Sad thing is I think this will be the highlight of their yawnfest of conference. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lib Dems didn't kick their asses in the General Election.

veryborednow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:49 PM
The Tories were also asked about their hobbies and "first kiss" in a film aimed at projecting a more "fun" image
I like that, "fun"
Most of the shadow cabinet refused to say who their first kiss was, although party leader Michael Howard said it had happened at the age of 10.
And then they refuse to join in .... duuuuuuuuh. Who are they trying to appeal to by telling the world that? 13 year old little girls?
Fox's favourites The Scissor Sisters
Hilarious, especially with the Tories track record of homophobia ;)

Martian Willow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:43 PM
You may laugh but personally, having voted Labour all my life I'm now having to reconsider my position.

Bezz
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:06 AM
You may laugh but personally, having voted Labour all my life I'm now having to reconsider my position.
But are yu reconsidering your position cos labour arent what yu expected or that you are identifying with the conservatives and others?

I find for me its more that labour are begining to piss me off rather than agreeing with what lib dems and conservatives are saying. :confused:

Labour still get my vote, they just need to change a few things, but lib dems are too wishy washy with there policies, the conservatives seem more interested in criticising labour than actually making alternative policies and UKIP, BNP are just sad little parties with small minds :rolleyes:

Martian Willow
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:27 AM
But are yu reconsidering your position cos labour arent what yu expected or that you are identifying with the conservatives and others?

I find for me its more that labour are begining to piss me off rather than agreeing with what lib dems and conservatives are saying. :confused:

Labour still get my vote, they just need to change a few things, but lib dems are too wishy washy with there policies, the conservatives seem more interested in criticising labour than actually making alternative policies and UKIP, BNP are just sad little parties with small minds :rolleyes:

I am very happy with this government. We have the lowest unemployment since the war, a stable economy, a minimum wage, record investment in public services, and hunting with dogs is finally banned...however, Nicholas Soames likes Dido, and that's very tempting.

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Our Tories are not anywhere near that cool!In fact, ours are rather scary! :scared:

veryborednow
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I am very happy with this government. We have the lowest unemployment since the war, a stable economy, a minimum wage, record investment in public services, and hunting with dogs is finally banned...however, Nicholas Soames likes Dido, and that's very tempting.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The others are too desperate for votes you get the feeling they would happily go along with any policy as long as it's popular.

And how anyone can vote UKIP is beyond me.

Beat
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Dido, that figures.

Bbbbbbbbblllllllllllaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnndddddddddd dddd. :lol: so true, she fits perfectly.
pulp depressing? :scratch:

CondiLicious
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM
:lol:

You know, I'm sure there is at least a few obsessive Dido fans who actually will consider voting Conservative based on the fact that one of them likes Dido. I mean... If he liked Britney I'd so be voting for him! :tape:

I don't much care for Tony Blair these days but I don't have anything to complain about that would make me voting anything other than Labour. I actually do think that the Liberal Democrats have some good ideas but they aren't formed enough to make me switch to them. Don't want to waste my vote on them and have Dracula win the election.