PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else here study latin??

Darop.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
Just wanted to know if in any other country then italy they make you study it in high school, we do 9 hours a week of it ( :eek: )

Anyone lese study it? ;)

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
For nine years until I left school.

Can't remember a word.

decemberlove
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:13 PM
i wish.

i tried to teach myself latin. i gave up after a couple weeks cos i only had a book and a dictionary. i needed tapes and they were like $70... so fuck that.

Darop.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
I have no clue how people who know only english are able to study latin :speakles: all credit to them :p

It's so easy going from italian as your main language to latin :p But it was still hard that way too :p

decemberlove
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
I have no clue how people who know only english are able to study latin :speakles: all credit to them :p

It's so easy going from italian as your main language to latin :p But it was still hard that way too :p
yeah, i plan on doing it one day... just for fun, i guess.

i know a bit of spanish but that didnt help too much.

but there are so many english words that stem from latin words... its not SO bad. its actually putting together a correct sentence thats hard :p

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM
Latin's good for learning grammar but personally I found that knowing French and Russian was more help in learning Italian than Latin ever was.

Not that I can remember a word of any of those languages either which would depress my ex-teachers to no end if they knew :rolleyes:.

Darop.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
EVERY SINGLE word in italian comes from latin, or almost...

I almost never need the dictionary anymore :speakles: though sometimes i really need it :P

2ace2
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:03 PM
I studied Latin for 2 years in high school, when I was 12-13 years old. then I began to wonder what the use of it was, so I switched to economics and haven't regretted that decision ever since.

Barrie_Dude
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:56 AM
i wish.

i tried to teach myself latin. i gave up after a couple weeks cos i only had a book and a dictionary. i needed tapes and they were like $70... so fuck that.You live in Jersey so perhaps they should teach you english!

lilly
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM
I did it for 6 years, and I enjoyed it very much (although couldn't get those damn verbs in my head, to much alike). We learned it very passively, not having to build Latin sentences ourselves, but rather enjoying and analyzing those magnificent texts. Cicero's In Catilinam was amazing, I enjoyed the battle epics, the love stories, the historics.
I had really fun teachers who were passionate about the language and the Roman culture, which helps alot of course to motivate pupils.
The active knowledge is gone I guess, but it build the base and structure in my head for every time I encountered a language since then.

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Salve!
I take Latin, but other than SAT help, its really useless. SUCH an easy class though, and a nice teacher

SilK
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:56 AM
ad impossibile nemo tenetur

bw2082
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I got a minor in Latin in college but have forgotten most of it :lol:

Joana
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:25 AM
I studied for 4 years in high school. I remember it surprisingly well.

Minami
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Just wanted to know if in any other country then italy they make you study it in high school, we do 9 hours a week of it ( :eek: )

Anyone lese study it? ;)

9 hours a week??? Which kind of high school do you go?? :confused:

I went to the Scientific High School, and at most we had 5 hours a week. (and I hated it) :shrug:

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:38 AM
I know Pig Latin. :p

rand
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:38 AM
I did it for 6 years, and I enjoyed it very much (although couldn't get those damn verbs in my head, to much alike). We learned it very passively, not having to build Latin sentences ourselves, but rather enjoying and analyzing those magnificent texts. Cicero's In Catilinam was amazing, I enjoyed the battle epics, the love stories, the historics.
I had really fun teachers who were passionate about the language and the Roman culture, which helps alot of course to motivate pupils.
The active knowledge is gone I guess, but it build the base and structure in my head for every time I encountered a language since then.
same one for me :)

Darop.
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM
9 hours a week??? Which kind of high school do you go?? :confused:

I went to the Scientific High School, and at most we had 5 hours a week. (and I hated it) :shrug:
I too go to scientifical, but our italian teacher has gone nuts and makes us do 9 hours :eek:

Shes a fucking nut.

Josh
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I studied it for 6 years in high school and we had about 4-5 hours a week. Still remember most of it but it could use some brushing up.

Minami
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I too go to scientifical, but our italian teacher has gone nuts and makes us do 9 hours :eek:

Shes a fucking nut.

Bleah! I think she is sick!! It is crazy!!
If you still have this teacher you should complain about it!!
So, i guess you don't have any time for "Italian". She just teaches you latin!

Anyway after the high school i don't remeber anything about Latin.
I mean, I think I can read it just beacuse I am Italian, not because I studied it!!

propi
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:04 PM
I studied 3 years :)
In the second year of High school used to be compulsory :D
Then as I chose the branch of humanities I continued for my last 2 years around 4 hours per week :)
Plus a bit of it was really useful in the School of law :p
I loved it :D and still like it, but I think it'd be hard for me try to declinate even Rosa-rosae :p

-Ph51-
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM
6 years in high school and i must say it's been very helpful for further studies and for my memory :)

HectorMagnus
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I had Latin 8 years at high school and right now a "reading of Latin texts" is a part of my studies at university :)

But I have to say that I'm not happy with the way Latin is teached at my university, will be better to use more practical texts than grammar :o

It's beatiful language and still the language of scholars ;)

Zamboni
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I did it for 5 years at highschool, there must be a Latin thread around here somewhere too :scratch:

Brαm
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I did it for 5 years at highschool, there must be a Latin thread around here somewhere too :scratch:
Please don't bump it :o

esquímaux
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM
My last year of high school kids were petitioning TO HAVE IT and I was like :cuckoo: Latin is the mother of many present-day languages, but why teach an obselete language? Shouldn't "E pluribus unum" be enough? :haha:

bw2082
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Latin's great for building your vocabulary and word skills. There's more to Latin than just hte grammar. You study roman/greek civilzation, mythology, art, etc... Another bonus was that we didn't really have to speak it. Most of my Latin classes was just translating ancient texts like the Aeneid and georgics by virgil, stuff by plautus, ovid, catullus, caesar, cicero, tacitus, pliny, and livy.

Zamboni
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Please don't bump it :o
:lol: was gonna, but the search function didn't find it :confused:

lilly
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Latin's great for building your vocabulary and word skills. There's more to Latin than just hte grammar. You study roman/greek civilzation, mythology, art, etc... Another bonus was that we didn't really have to speak it. Most of my Latin classes was just translating ancient texts like the Aeneid and georgics by virgil, stuff by plautus, ovid, catullus, caesar, cicero, tacitus, pliny, and livy.
:bounce: is it crazy I'm getting excited for it all over again?

aaaaah... the memories of happy days :)

polishprodigy
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Latin was offered as a language in my highschool, but once the teacher retired, the course was cancelled :(.

I took it for 3 years, and I didn't get much from it, although it did help me occasionally in English when I tried to find the root meanings of certain words.

I do remember one phrase lol..... "canis est in via" (the dog is in the street)