PDA

View Full Version : Who is a better player - Lena D or Lena B?

JCF
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
K, just got a bad rep from someone saying than Lena B is miles better than Lena D will ever be :lol: :rolleyes:

Everything suggests Lena D is better, results, ranking etc. So who do you think is the better player?

*Karen*
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
I think Lena D is better, but she doesn't always seem like she's the better player.

Mattographer
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Purr serving would still beat the whole Bovina, I afraid :sad:

DEETHELICK
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
I think Bovina is talented. She is so committed to cmoing to net and adding that variety to her game. And her BH is huge.

However, Elena's 'poor' serving is still winning her matches. And big matches at that too. Her groundies are one of the best in the world. She moves deceptively well for a tall lady and can play defense and offense with ease. She has great power off the ground. The only liability is the 2ND SERVE. However she's been Top 5, RUP at 2 GS, has titles, etc. and numerous wins against top players.

And if the indication is correct, she has much more to improve and can really only go up! :)

So Elena Dementieva is my pick.

CooCooCachoo
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Elena Dementieva is really the better player, but the serve just lacks, obviously..

Evelyn Tremble
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Iím still in the process of deciding who is the more hyped.

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Elena Dementieva is a better player, but Elena Bovina is more complete just because of her serve.

They both have great groundstrokes!

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
lena d is the better player. her mind and fighting spirit really make her compete to her potential time and again, and even without a serve, she's great and beats lots of top players.

cometz9
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Lena D is moves much better than Lena B but Lena B has a much better serve than Lena D :shrug: but Lena D is a better player IMO but i think Lena B will only get better. Both are playing really well so far, so thats good.

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Rankings isnt the only way to decide who is better, Bovina has had injury problems and illnesses the last 2 years while Dementieva has played full seasons.

There's 2 ways to look at this:

Against the rest of the tour, Dementieva has the advantage. Dementieva is arguably the best rally player in the game. Most players on tour cannot properly attack her serve, and dont have a powerful serve game, and if that's the case, Dementieva will likely beat all those players. Which is why she has success against much of the current Top 10, because they're more defensive-minded, or just can't return her ugly 2nd serve for some reason (Davenport). While Bovina is your run-of-the-mill brainless bash-n'-smash player, but not the best at it, so the top players will usually play the percentages and win 2 out of 3 sets.

Head-to-head, Bovina has the advantage. Bovina dictates every point when they play. The result simply comes down to Good Bovina = Win, Bad Bovina = Loss. Also, take in account if the surface is slower, which would enhance Dementieva's chances.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Elena Dementieva!!

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Elena D. has been to the final of two majors this year. Until Lena B. has a big breakthrough at a major, I have to say Elena D.
But if Bovina can stay healthy for a full year, she might surprise some people.

Dementinator
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:52 PM
definately Lena D

If Lena is on full form and playing her best then she can and does beat anyone,even if
serve not great ,she has tremendous speed ,power and groundstrokes and I have not
seen anybody else fight as hard as her ,she just keeps on and on still hitting massively
after 2 hours plus of playing seemingly without problems, I just wish I had that much
power and fitness!!
Her only real prob is when her mind is not on the job she can then and does lose to anybody ,but on form she is much better than any of the russians I believe inc Myskina
and Sharapova too, her hardest opponent is herself sometimes!!

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I saw them playing yesterday, and they're both really great players!!! and about Elena D. her serve, most of her first serves only get like 105 km/h or somehting like that, but there is quite some spin on it!! When I saw that serve on tv, I always wondered why her oponents didn't attack on that serve, but yesterday I saw why...
and Elena B., really talented girl!! A pity she couldn't go on on the level she played that first set, and she really should have taken those chances to lead 5-1, but if she keeps playing like this, and doesn't get injured again, I wouldn't be surprised to see her get really far!!!

who's the best? at this moment probably Dementieva, but both girls still have so much potential!

DEETHELICK
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Bovina always dictates play against Elena? LOL.

The h2h is 4-2 in Elena's favour, and whilst that 6-1 6-1 was outstanding, that was an ON day for Bovina. No player can play like that every day.

Bovina is slower than Elena, her groundstrokes aren't as consistent and accurate as Elena's, she comes to net, but apart from that, there isn't HUGE variety in Bovina;s game and she does not have the same mental toughness Elena has.

Elena D has proved herself on all surfaces, reaching at least a final on all of them.

The only advantage Bovina has is the serve, but Elena seems capable enough to take that on too.

Bovina is talented, Elena D just has that extra oopmh needed to be an elite player.

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Bovina always dictates play against Elena? LOL.

yes, now she does
in sydney, bovina was not playing the same style (which was stupid)
2 of the other matches were at the start of bovinas career

when bovina is serving, she has a strong serve so most points she will control play and put dementieva on the defensive
when dementieva is serving, bovina is aggressive with all dementieva serves and dementieva is on the defensive

i know dementieva is a much more consistent player off the ground but when you start EVERY point on the defensive against a player who always plays aggressive and knows she cant get into rallies with you, you are not the person in control of the result

the only real argument you have is that dementieva has proven shes a top player and bovina hasnt. give bovina a full year with no major injury or sickness and then we can properly compare. switch us open draws and you cant honestly tell me dementieva makes it past the 3rd round

i think with a full year of health for both players, bovina is at least a top 15 player, possible top 10, and dementieva is around a top 10 player (you have to admit shes got some very lucky breaks this year in slams to boost her ranking). that "mental toughness" you speak of will come when bovina is confident and healthy which is slowly beginning to grow

igost
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Dementieva

DEETHELICK
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Elena, when pressured on her return, can still play awesome tennis. I saw Lindsay smack such hard returns at Elena this summer and Elena sent them back for A WINNER.

Elena is not ALWAYS on the defensive off the return as most people would like to believe. She gets into position very quickly and lets her groundstrokes do the talking.

Bovina won 6-1 6-1 because she executed her gameplan perfectly at New Haven, and Elena did not have an answer. Yesterday she did, with better passing shots, mixing up play and hitting harder and deeper. And she won the match.

Lucky draws. At Miami, Dokic, Venus and Nadia back to back. RG, Smashnova (titlist week before), Lindsay, Momo and Suarez (famed claycourter) back to back. US Open, Safina, Zvonareva, Momo and Jen (3 Top 10 players in a row, the toughest path any of the Top 8 seeds had) and she made it.

Those are not lucky draws, she worked her ass off to get where she was.

Don't discredit Dementieva, her game is always going to be much more successful in today's simply because she is speedy, has some of the world's best groundies and has a lot of mental strength.

Bovina is too shaky, her game is too high risk and she is easily exploited in relation to her poor movement by the top players.

Bovina is a worthy Top 10-15 player.

Elena is at least a Top 3 player IMO.

Gowza
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:49 AM
atm, dementieva. however bovina has had a lot of injury problems so she's never really had the chance to show what she can do, as soon as she starts to she gets injured again. hopefully she will stay healthy for awhile, she is starting to play some good tennis.

hilde26
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:27 AM
I think that staying healthy is a crucial ability for a player. For a player as tall as ElenaB(6'2 1/2'' (1.89 m)), one has higher risk of being injured (especially on one's lower parts of the body) compared to less sized players. Tall players can use their heights but they pay the prices for their heights.

Chunchun
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Miss D if course!!!!!!!

azmad_88
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Dementieva Of Coz

rabbit_boi_313
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:35 AM
:p Lena D. for sure

Bamboo
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Dementieva, for sure!!! :bounce: