PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever changed your favourites or dropped your favourite for someone else?

JCF
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
I've read a few things in this forum, about how some posters used to be a fan of someone for a year or so. If you are a fan of a player, you should always stick to them shouldn't you? Unless you are a band wagon fan and only like players who are winning.

So have any of you ever dropped your favourite?

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
People talk about cheering for players like if it is a cult or a religion. It's stupid.

Let's say you watch a tv show and then the show gets boring. Why would you stick to the show? There's one million reason why one would lose interest to a tennis player.

The concept of "true fan" is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Tennis is just an entertainment, not a religion.
but at the same time, usually if you find someone who for whatever reason entertains you the most;it seems unlikely that you'll just drop that person or ever get bored with them. tennis players spend so little time at the top. just my opinion. i also don't see anything wrong with continuing to support someone for their entire career. it's not like religion for some people... they just don't get bored with their favorite player just like some people never get sick of their favorite tv show after 7 seasons (or however many).

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
So you are bored of Jennifer JP? :p

I'm still with Venus and will always be!

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:52 PM
I've read a few things in this forum, about how some posters used to be a fan of someone for a year or so. If you are a fan of a player, you should always stick to them shouldn't you? Unless you are a band wagon fan and only like players who are winning.

So have any of you ever dropped your favourite?yeah, I was a big of Daniela Hantuchova(she was my second favourite behind Anna) since the AO'01 when I saw her playing against Anna. But when she won Indian Wells she started to act like a diva and started to criticize Anna and since then I can't stand Hantuchova. The same is happening with Dementieva, I started to love her after RG but after reading her comments on Anna I'm also starting to dislike her.

sarza
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Nope Lauras my girl

lindsayno1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
nope, always has been lindsay

*Karen*
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
I've always liked Jen best. I'm also starting to like Dinara and Daniela. So I'll probably change to them when Jen retires.

Mattographer
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
When Jelena Dokic losing a million matches and got me lost in interested.

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
I am with Venus AAF.

I'm sure I'll have a new favorite after she retires though :).

Evelyn Tremble
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
If I start to support a player (there’s that many that I really do like) then I support them until they retire. I do not have a specific reason why I follow some players. Looks - game- not many cheer them on -whatever. Now there are some players which I’ve start to take a liking to then they either do or say something that pisses me off about them. I tend to cheer for the lower ranked players. I never really get a kick out of cheering for players that are either ranked one two three - mostly top ten.
What happens is this. Say most fans are watching a tennis tournament (now most do not know anyone outside of the top 50 - they’ll say they do but that just to sound windswept and interesting on the board). Now say Serena was playing Maria Kirilenko like she did at Roland Garros. A lot of people see her for the first time (if she’s hot or attractive looking that’s a bonus in her favour as most hate cheering for ugly ladies). So she plays a great match against a great player so she suddenly becomes an instant hit with the locals but if her career takes a downward spiral then they tend to opt for the next instant hero who comes along. If she were to get thumped 6-0 6-0 think they’d want to cheer for her? Not likely!

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
I've been a Capriati fan since the first time I saw her play and will continue to be one up until and including the last match she will ever play,no matter what her results are. People who constantly change favorites aren't fans but opportunists who just like to be on the side that's winning.

Stamp Paid
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Never.

But when Serena retires, I'll be a #1 Sharapova fan. :yeah:

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
i've only got ONE big fave. there are times i go against justine (eg: this years AO when i wanted kim to win. granted, kim's my 2nd fave) and against serena and venus (last year when they were winning all the time, i was irritated)....but i'll never support another player, no matter how gorgeous, if andre plays. i never watch him play live cuz i cant bear watch him lose. i HATE federer.

vutt
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Ironically I have a opposite problem. I would love to lose interest against Dokic, but I can't. Sadly it's bigger than me. :mad:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Yup JP i dropped Elena...But she wasn't my reliugion or my idol like Venus is lol...Elena was jsut a pleyr i liked, and now i ahte her lol

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Ironically I have a opposite problem. I would love to lose interest against Dokic, but I can't. Sadly it's bigger than me. :mad:
same here. i would love to lose interest in zvonareva cuz its really painful to be a fan. i mean, i dont wanna end up like those momo fans u know what i mean (read: pulling their hair out at every big match she plays)....i love my hair.:tape: :devil: :devil: :devil: :angel: :p :tape:

rue
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:18 PM
I have always stuck with my favorites and probably will continue to do so

beauty_is_pink
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
yeah, I was a big of Daniela Hantuchova(she was my second favourite behind Anna) since the AO'01 when I saw her playing against Anna. But when she won Indian Wells she started to act like a diva and started to criticize Anna and since then I can't stand Hantuchova. The same is happening with Dementieva, I started to love her after RG but after reading her comments on Anna I'm also starting to dislike her.:sad:

Mariangelina
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Well, Amélie's always been my big fave, but my enthusiasm for some other people has fluctuated somewhat. When I first started watching tennis I really, really liked Dani Hantu, but then it just fizzled. No real reason, I never disliked her, just found I wan't that crazy about her any more. But now I'm getting to like her more again. :D

I still love Conchita, but at one point she was like my second favourite player, and now I almost feel like she's retired, dunno why. :sad: When I first started taking an interest in tennis I liked Hingis, but when I found out more about her I didn't like her so much. :fiery: Homophobia is just like the biggest turnoff for me.

Going the other way, I used to think Jennifer was just plain obnoxious. She REALLY pissed me off. I still think she's obnoxious kinda, but the truth is I find her pretty entertaining and usually root for her. :tape: I do in balance like her now. :lol:

beauty_is_pink
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
JHH was one of my fave.
then RG happened and i kinda lost respect for her.
but erm. i was happy she won the RG tho :)

Spunky83
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Well, I don´t drop players, I just add players;)...I´m a fan of Justine (can you say "comeback"?) and Myskina (no need to explain) and I´ll just stick to them, why not?

I think I have never dropped my faves not only concerning tennis, but also in music, actors and so on...does that mean I will never get divorced?...lol

jenny161185
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
Ill always stick by Jen , she needs her fans support , but Ive really grown to like Justine and Serena :) and have always had an interest in Kim

Paldias
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:34 PM
I used to like Justine but after the French Open '02 I haven't liked her since.
I also used to hate Serena Williams especially from like 99' to about Wimbledon '01 then when I saw her vs. Davenport in '01 I really really liked her.

bmxbandit
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
So true....
Once you go Jelly...

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:10 PM
mine switch order after seles...
venus, sharapova, dokic, elena, and hingis have all occupied the #2 position on my list of favorites and it's not because i start to like on less, it's always because another one does something that reallystands out. like elena fighting through a ton of matches really takes my heart, for example. if hingis were to come back or something... stuff like that.

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
Nope. But I do catch myself secretly starting to like players I used to hate sometimes...:)

Stefwhit
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:12 PM
There's nothing like a fan and the favorite player (or team). It's interesting because the fascination with a particular player isn't always logical, there can be a million different reasons why you choose one particular player out of all the players to choose from, to fully suport and get behind. For the most part, the fan usually supports their favorite through thick and thin, till the last ball is struck. Time usully strengthens the bond- you go through the highs, through the lows, celebrate the victories, and feel the pain of each loss. Having a favorite, IMO, enhances the entertainment value of the sport. Because of your favorite you hate other players, anticipate your fav playing some players, secretly worry about some players, and have various opinions on others.

For me personally I can only have one ultimate fav at a time. When I first started watching tennis it was all about Steffi- even the years when Steffi and Serena were on tour together. Once Steffi retired it took me a while, but that same love I had for Steffi transfered over to Serena.

The love for my ultimate favs is a constant, but for all the other players that are on my list of favorites different times, different players, and different situations can all effect what I feel for any of em' at any given time. Right now I hold Kim in the highest of regards (for 'other' players I support), maybe it's partly due to her bad luck with injuries. I have a feeling that next year my love for Kim is going to continue to grow.

Players that I liked a lot, but now root against: MoMo, Sharapova
Players I've ALWAYZ had a soft spot for and can't stop loving: Marry Pierce, Elena D, Kim, Petrova
Players I used to like but I could care less about now: Chanda, Myskina, Danielidou,
Players I like one day and hate the next: Lindz, Venus

TomTennis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Never!

Venus is my all time favourite. Then serena. Williams Rules. Although, i must say, Lindsay has grown on me over the past few months, but can never surpass a williams.

Calimero377
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:41 PM

No.
I'm a Steffi fan since 1984 ....

:worship:

cometz9
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
Venus will alway be my No. 1 favorite player but i have so many favorites but none can compare to her. I'm just a fan of tennis in general and Venus happens to be my favorite player to cheer for against anyone else. I love tennis :woohoo: it really makes me happy like an addiction :lol: .

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:48 PM
WhatNo.
I'm a Steffi fan since 1984 ....

:worship: Since 1984? :eek:

Respect for you!

*hingis_forever*
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
i've only got ONE big fave. there are times i go against justine (eg: this years AO when i wanted kim to win. granted, kim's my 2nd fave) and against serena and venus (last year when they were winning all the time, i was irritated)....but i'll never support another player, no matter how gorgeous, if andre plays. i never watch him play live cuz i cant bear watch him lose. i HATE federer.
Why do you hate Federer?

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
So have any of you ever dropped your favourite? YES.

Fidelity is not my strongest point.

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
^ With regard to being a fan of a tennis player that is.

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Besides, band wagons are fun :drive:.

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Today I'm an Elena D fan, but I was a comeback Kim fan until yesterday.

Next week, who knows ? :shrug:

bigshow21
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Once a Jen fan, always a Jen fan!!!!!!! Nothing and no one can change that. I might like other players but no where near the magnitude of my support for Jen. Go JEN!!!!!!!!!!! :)

CCCP1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
I use to be a dokic fan , but now i love Rossana Neffa De los Rios

steffilover
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:25 AM
I was the staunchest, most ardent fan of chrissie from 1973, when i first read and heard about this mythical "Ice Maiden", who was coolly and calmly destroying all in her path. I adored chris, followed her every match (in those days relying on the bbc world service for results!!), cried (yes, cried!!:rolleyes: ) for her crushing defeats - thankfully, not many! - and rejoiced at her stunning successes (1985/6 French Open, anyone?:worship: ). Then, in 1985, along came steffi....I liked her despite myself. I loved her intensity and desire on court, her speed and focus and the way she quietly went about her business. I read the growing number of reports, telling how she was destined to be number one and i winced and felt sad when chris would beat her, again and again, all in straight sets...:(
then came 1986 - unbelievably, a win for steffi over chris on clay; secretly my heart leapt! steffi's momentum became ever greater - berlin over martina, the stunning us open semi, then the day i defected - key biscayne final, 1987. steffi had beaten martina comprehensively in the semis and now faced chris in the final. it was shockingly one-sided. an epiphany for me - the changing of the guard. i had wanted steffi to win!!! such a strange feeling! from then, till july 1999, there was no-one else and of course my feelings for steffi became even more powerful than anything id felt for chris - though she will always have a special place in my memories!!
i feel privileged to have supported 2 of the greatest champions in women's tennis history...both of them an example and an inspiration to others.!:worship:
phew - sorry for rambling!

Stefwhit
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:40 AM
steffilover I also started off suporting Chris as well, it's just I never felt what I felt for Steffi with Chris- even though Chris is the first player I actually rooted for. If you're looking for another great champion, the kind that will surely go down as one of the greatest ever you might wanna' checkout this one girl named Serena Williams. Those attributes you admired most in Steffi- her intensity, desire, speed, and focus on court, are all the atributes you can find in Serena.

Of course Serena is a little more noisier on court than Steffi... Could you imagine Steffi in one of Serena's outfits- too funny for words. Steffi in the catsuit or the boots- I'd pay money to see that!!!

faste5683
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:08 AM

That *is* a problem. Good luck to you, you'll need it. ;)

:wavey:

faste5683
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I never really had a fave...I followed men's tennis. But after the 2003 French Open I became a Justine fan for life.

:wavey:

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Nope, Venus is and always will be my always and forever. :hearts: :worship:

fabifan#1
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:32 AM
never fabiola always my #1 :D

RatedR Superstar
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:46 AM
nope, and never will...Daniela Hantuchova forever!!!!

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM
i was a huge dokic fan until she started making all the bitchy comments
when she left australia it was the last straw and i started hating her
now i realise it was bcos of damir and her age, and want her to get her career back on track

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM
oh btw alicia will always be my number 1!! :inlove:

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:11 AM
After the 2002 Sydney Semi Final, Kimmy overtook Martina for #1 fave. :hearts:

irma
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM
yeah I am like Kart. I switch and switch and switch every day. When the wind on this board turns after each tournament win, I turn with it. I can't believe that I would support somebody for years and years and years and still be on a fan board years after retirement. That's just sad :sad: :devil: ;)

tennischick
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:22 AM
i'm more of a fan of TENNIS than i am of any particular player.

vma
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
For a very long time I was Steffi's biggest fan :) I was angry and devastated when Martina Hingis reached no.1 in the rankings,I was more than happy when after her great comeback,Steffi beat Martina in that memorable french open final
some time later,with Graf not playing tennis anymore,i realised i'm cheering for Martina
remember Indian Wells 2002 final?
the same situation in fact:) at the time i was th biggest Daniela-hater i think
probably you already know who is my favourite now:P Daniela of course

but who know,something good is going on with Marta Domachowska climbing up the rankings,so i guess i have another player to cheer for:)

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM
ditto.

azmad_88
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM
was a fan of justine henin hardenne during fo 2001
but stopped supporting her fo 2003 SF...
i dont have to say no more..
now sorry to say..i really really hate her...

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Yes.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Well,I think it's not so much that you choose a favorite player (as in "ok,from now on I'm gonna support him or her") but more that THEY choose you as it were. Like in the mid-70's when I watched tennis for the first time I thought it was a cool game,but I didn't get too excited by it. Than one day I saw Jimmy Connors and something about his personality,his style of play.......whatever.....SOMETHING made me sit on the edge of my seat,bloodpressure went up...excitement! Same thing with Chris Evert and Jennifer Capriati. It's hard to explain,but something about them,whatever it is,makes them special to me. It's not a conscious decision,but as soon as I saw them play I knew instinctively,"this is the one".....like falling in love,well,sort of anyway.

rottweily
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Never, ever.

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I used to be a Justine Henin-Hardenne fan until May 2003.

Kart
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
yeah I am like Kart. I switch and switch and switch every day. When the wind on this board turns after each tournament win, I turn with it. I can't believe that I would support somebody for years and years and years and still be on a fan board years after retirement. That's just sad :sad: :devil: ;)
:hearts::kiss::hearts: