PDA

View Full Version : Does indoor make a difference

relax
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:20 AM
I remember reading someone write that sprem would have an easier time beating garrigues since they we're playing indoors....they also wrote that if it had been hard court it would have been different...

but aren't they simply playing on hard courts indoors?

many years ago they used to play on fast courts indoor, but that isn't the case anymore or is it?

are the indoor hard courts faster than those indoors? maybe if the surface is placed over wood.....i don't know

Doraemon
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Playing indoors, there's no wind, plane flying over the head. So basically you can play in a perfect condition which is not the case with playing outdoors. I think that makes a big difference. I don't know if indoor hard courts are faster than outdoor ones but I heard ppl say they are. Would like to know the reason.

Gogo123
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
thats a question I wanted to ask too...and why are some players much better playing indoor hardcourts than outdoors?

Bamafan717
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
I would love it if some tournament had wooden courts. I would sign up for it immediately.

Also, when I become a Tournament Director for the WTA Tour, I will have a tourney in Atlanta( finally :rolleyes: ) and it will be wooden courts. I just think it would be so much fun.

Oh,

BTW. Sorry I'm getting so :topic:.

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Playing indoors is perfect. You don't have to adjust your ball toss for the sun, you don't have to worry about wind, it is absolutely perfect.

Andrew.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
Indoors rocks. No outside conditions to effect your game. And yes, the indoor hardcourts are also slightly faster. Carpet is much faster.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Isn't it also generally less humid indoors, making the conditions less heavy (and therefore faster)?

Gowza
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Indoors rocks. No outside conditions to effect your game. And yes, the indoor hardcourts are also slightly faster. Carpet is much faster.
what type of surface is carpet exactly? is it like syntehtic grass sort of stuff but without the sand? (in oz cricket pitches that have synthetic grass on them we call carpet pitches). ive been wondering for years what type of surface carpet is. and also why play on hardcourt indoors? im sure its fun but wouldnt it be more interesting if all indoor (or most) tournaments played on carpet just to add another surface where other players who arent as good on the others will have the chance to do well. it seems like there are only 1 or 2 tournaments on carpet so why even bother with the surface?

switz
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:21 AM
carpet is pretty much synthetic grass with out sand, but it a finer carpert than what is played on in Australia. it basically isn't a very good surface and that's why it has been pretty much phased out at tour level.

indoors helps certain types of players because it gives them a neutral environment to play in. in the sprem/medina example of would it was stated because medina is a clay courter primarily - she mixes things up and therefore is better equiped to deal with different conditions. sprem goes for everything and her serve can be shaky in windy conditions etc so naturally when she knows what the conditions will be like she can be more confident in her strokes. same has applied for players like dokic, hantuchova, davenport, venus etc.

just like other surfaces there are those who like it and those who don't like capriati.

beauty_is_pink
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Yeah. i realli like playing indoor, the sun's a pain in the ass when it's directly at your face :mad:

JLDementieva
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:26 AM
the sun, the wind, the cold air or hot air all makes outdoor tennis a pain in the ass!!

Volcana
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Some players have more trouble than others adjusting to variations in the wind. The sun moving. Car horns. Differences in humidity.

A real good example would be Maggie Maleeva, who handles power players much better indoors.

switz
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:28 AM
the sun, the wind, the cold air or hot air all makes outdoor tennis a pain in the ass!!

yes what's the point of people dealing with nature.

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Most indoor tournaments have faster surface and theres perfect conditions like people say, so it favors the power players with bigger swings

Pamela Shriver
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Does indoor make a difference
It makes a difference being indoors when its raining or snowing outside.

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM
i dont no about anyone else, but playing indoors helps my serve by about 100%!!
my serve indoors and outdoors are two completely different shots
i think its cos i have a really high ball toss

Jass601
Nov 16th, 2013, 02:36 AM
I am a student at Streamwood High School in Illinois and am currently working on an indoor tennis related project in my engineering design and development class. If possible, please take a few minutes to fill out this short survey. It will contribute to our research.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fnev36lzJzPbabDjgoWLOP_MSL4R-IdCyWtfGKuzVMY/viewform

LeatherRatson
Nov 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Big serves are much more effective indoors. It helps the ball toss and also with the accuracy. Same with groundstrokes really.