PDA

View Full Version : Golovin = The Next Sharapova, but better!

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM
I've been watching Golovin and there are quite a few things that have impressed me about her:

She has a BIG GAME!

She won her first Grand Slam BEFORE Sharapova (although it was mixed doubles, Serena's first Grand Slam came @ Roland Garros in Mixed Doubles)

She is CONFIDENT in her game the whole year through, not just on grass.

She has SKYROCKETED her ranking this year with impressive GS performances.

If she can build upon the success of 2004, there's no telling that she won't win a Grand Slam in 2005 (maybe 2006, but 2005's not that far-fecthed).

GO TATI!

Doraemon
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
dumb

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Why does she need to be compared to Sharapova...

InDemand
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
In what way is Golovin the next Sharapova? Are you projecting her to win Wimby next year? Or you referring to her looks and saying she's the next "it" girl? And in what ways is she better? Does she have better tools - serve, all-court game, ground strokes, mental toughness, etc.? I haven't seen enough of Golovin to make a judgment, so any insights would be appreciated.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Yeah! Exactly that. She's the next 'it' girl. However, I think that her all-court game and superior coaching will lead her to a more successful carreer. I would really love it if these two had a evert v. navy-eque rivarly (NO ONE COULD EVER REPRODUCE THAT!) And I compared her to Sharapova becuase she did well in a Grand Slam on her first try (OZ '04)

Sadka
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Go Tati :kiss:

~SunFlower~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
:rolleyes:

~SunFlower~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Tatiana Golovin at 16 yrs and 8 months as of Sept 25, 2004

ITF titles = 0 ITF finals = 0-0
WTA titles = 0 WTA finals = 0-1

Number of tournaments played at different levels

Age 14:
10K = 2
50K = 3
GS = 1

Age 15:
25K = 1
50K = 1
75K = 1
TIII = 1
TI = 2
GS = 2

Age 16 and 8 months:
TIII = 1
TII = 2
TI = 5
GS = 3

Maria Sharapova at 16 yrs and 8 months as of Dec 19, 2003

ITF titles = 4 ITF finals = 4-2
WTA titles = 2 WTA finals = 2-0

Number of tournaments played at different levels

Age 14:
10K = 1
25K = 1
75K = 1
TI = 1

Age 15:
25K = 3
50K = 1
75K = 1
TIII = 1
TI = 3
GS = 1

Age 16 and 8 months:
25K = 1
TIII = 4
TII = 2
TI = 1
GS = 3

The only difference is that Tatiana chose to play high-level tournaments with no titles based on her ego level like Kournikova while Maria Sharapova chose to play medium-level tournaments and won titles. Tatiana should be advised to play lower tournaments and she better win the TIII title in the next 2 tournaments (Japan Open and Seat Open) this year.

IMO, they were pretty much the same on the WTA level when they were 16 years old and 8 months. Sharapova was a better ITF player.

Chance
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
She is quite attractive so I can why u tagging her the next it girl but all i saw was a good serve when I saw her play against Serena... she's not that aggressive as sharapova.

In hindsight you can't blame Anna for not playing lower tiered touurnament when she first started playing.... she got to the final of the 5th biggest tournament at the age of 16....

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Hmm...could very well be. I think she needs to get a bit stronger and get a better serve, but she has good court-sense and she plays smart tennis. Can be good..-

Andy.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
They are 2 different players why must people persist in saying that so and so is the next so and so.

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Is this thread supposed to be a joke?

gary
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
:lol:
don't be too overrated
fool thread :p

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
:yawn:

They're both good.

But let's see if Tati can win her first GS by the age of 17.

She hasn't even won a title yet has she?

Calimero377
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
I've been watching Golovin and there are quite a few things that have impressed me about her:

She has a BIG GAME!

She won her first Grand Slam BEFORE Sharapova (although it was mixed doubles, Serena's first Grand Slam came @ Roland Garros in Mixed Doubles)

She is CONFIDENT in her game the whole year through, not just on grass.

She has SKYROCKETED her ranking this year with impressive GS performances.

If she can build upon the success of 2004, there's no telling that she won't win a Grand Slam in 2005 (maybe 2006, but 2005's not that far-fecthed).

GO TATI!

That Golovin girl is, what, almost 17 years old?
And still only #30 or so?

Just to put things into perspective:
Hingis was #1 at that age, had won 3 slams already.
Seles reached #2 with 16, had beaten the greatest of them all in a slam final already.
Austin as well had won a slam with 16 (beating Evert) and was #3.
Even Graf had the #3 spot already when she was 16 years old.
Jaeger, Sabatini and Capriati had been among the top ten already for more than a year.

:wavey:

SilK
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
I hope she draws Michaella Krajicek in the first round of Luxemburg...

I am gonna laugh my fucking ass off when she loses to the number 500-something of the world

*note: Krajicek has a 3-0 head2head over Golovin

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Maria Sharapova at 16 yrs and 8 months as of Dec 19, 2003
...WTA titles = 2 WTA finals = 2-0...
Plus 2 Tier III WTA doubles titles.

switz
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
I hope she draws Michaella Krajicek in the first round of Luxemburg...

I am gonna laugh my fucking ass off when she loses to the number 500-something of the world

*note: Krajicek has a 3-0 head2head over Golovin

golovin was not special in juniors, but who gives a shit because she achieved a lot more.

1 year on tour brings her 2 4th rounds at slams, a grand slam mixed doubles title and a top 30 ranking. krajicek has a junior grand slam with no big names in the draw.

SilK
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
golovin was not special in juniors, but who gives a shit because she achieved a lot more.

1 year on tour brings her 2 4th rounds at slams, a grand slam mixed doubles title and a top 30 ranking. krajicek has a junior grand slam with no big names in the draw.

Blah... but she still beat Golovin 2 times really easy! Wahaha... I would love to see that match up in Luxemburg! I don't care is she never makes the final of Tier5... we all know she can beat Golovin :devil:

BTW, I actually do like Golovin! :kiss:

jenny161185
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Ive never seen Golovin play but I remember reading on this board that her style of play is very defensive , well is it? shes had gret results this year though

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Blah... but she still beat Golovin 2 times really easy! Wahaha... I would love to see that match up in Luxemburg! I don't care is she never makes the final of Tier5... we all know she can beat Golovin :devil:

BTW, I actually do like Golovin! :kiss:
justine owned kim during juniors then kim owned justine (temporarily anywayz)....the junior and pro circuit are 2 different things altogether. i mean, cara black was touted to be the next big thing.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Talk about no.1 junior gone wrong....Cara Black. Never came close to mounting something big among the big girls....even more emberassing: the no.1 of the world at the time was YOUNGER than Cara who was no.1 for the juniors!! DAAANNNGG!!

Harju.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Would love to see Tati to get more hypes. :)

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Tati is a top 10, top 5 talent, I think.

She's a nice girl, I hope she has a successful year next year :).

beauty_is_pink
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you like Tati..:)
but erm... couldnt u compare to another player? like a veteran? (no offense to Sharapova, but she's still jus too young)

yukon145
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:23 PM
i love Tati

Crazy Canuck
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:02 PM
I really like Golovin. She's one of my favourite players. I don't care for Sharapova at all. But IMO, Sharapova is - and will be - better.

We'll see ;)

Crazy Canuck
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
The only difference is that Tatiana chose to play high-level tournaments with no titles based on her ego level like Kournikova

Oh, really, is that why? Is that what she told you? Good to know.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
']Would love to see Tati to get more hypes. :)
I wouldn't, although she might. I like that nobody (relatively speaking) is really paying her any attention since the "blonde it-girl" role has been filled for the time being. I don't like retarded press and threads about my favourites ;)

grmbl
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Huh? She has no game!

houseoflords
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
In the long run, I think Golvin will be better than Sharapova. She has better footwork. She is very aggresive, not defensive. She can play defensive if she is forced to, but it isn't her common practice. She is a much better volleyer than Sharapova is. Her first serve is pretty good but her second serve needs work and she needs to cut down the number of double faults. Her forehand is steady, her backhand is solid.

That being said their games are different. I enjoy watching Tatiana play more. Her style is more fun to watch. I also think her game suits all surfaces better than Sharapova's. I like Golovin's personality. She was very friendly when I had the chance to chat with her at the US OPen.

Lastly, being a top junior doesn't mean anything. Some players take longer to develop. Some players don't improve after being a top junior. Some players just don' put the effort in to get better. Sharapova has been playing only WTA events for a while longer than Golovin. Golvoin was still playing juniors this time last year. SHarapova was already beginning her march up to the top 10 at that point. Golovin will be there shortly.

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM
Golovin will be a good player but not anywhere near as good as Maria!

houseoflords
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
We will see. I think Golovin has the ability to be better. She will be a better all court player than SHarapova unless Sharapova really works on her harcourt game. Sharapova will not win the Australian or US Open with her current game. Golovin and Sharapova could turn into a pretty good and entertaining rivalry.

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:03 PM
We will see. I think Golovin has the ability to be better. She will be a better all court player than SHarapova unless Sharapova really works on her harcourt game. Sharapova will not win the Australian or US Open with her current game. Golovin and Sharapova could turn into a pretty good and entertaining rivalry.

Sharapova will improve and so will Golovin. The way you put it, then in current game Golovin not win anything. Sharapova is already a grass court expert whereas Golovin is not great on any surface....yet.

Kabezya
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:53 PM
Why do players need to be compared to others? Why do they need to be the next so and so? Why not just the next Tatiana? Players play tennis to be their best, not the best of someone else.

houseoflords
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
I'm no talking current game, I'm talking about in the future. Sharapova is excellent on grass and is fairly good on clay. Golovin will win Grand Slams and will be a threat in each of the 4. Her game allows her to be. Sharapova's game isn't suited as well at the moment for the Australian and US Opens. That isn't saying that she won't make the adjustments. It is my opinion, and that is all it is, that Golovin will be better on all surfaces in the long run. I have watched both play in person and make this judgmen from what I saw.

I agree that Tatiana shouldn't be compared to Sharapova because they're completly different players and frankly I don't think Tati wants to called the next Sharapova. I think she'd prefer to be her own person.

Gowza
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:30 AM
there is no need to compare her to sharapova. golovin's game isnt all that big, not compared to the top players, but she has a very good all court game and she thinks more than the average hard hitter. she does hit hard but thats the norm these days, she isnt like sharapova or davenport or the williams sisters power wise, dont get me wrong she has power but i wouldnt call her game big, at least not compared to the top players. her all court game and her thinking ability will help her a lot in her career.