PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova def Domachowska 6-1 6-1... wins Korean Title!!!

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
YEEEE-HAH!!! :D :D :D :D

OK, I know you'll all say she HAD to win it and all... but we Masha fans are elated nonetheless!!! (As any fan would be when their fave wins any title). This was her 5th career WTA title. She is now 5-0 in career WTA tour finals.

She played very well! I don't think she was as good as in the SF vs Kremer but still too good for Marta. In the first set, the game that Marta got was from breaking Maria's serve :eek:. Marta actually played very well in that whole game but the cold hard fact was that she was world #100 and Maria is in the top 10. She held serve only once in the second set.

Funny thing was, the further she went in the draw here, the easier she won...

1r: Bye
2r: Won 6-1 6-3
3r: Won 6-3 6-1
QF: Won 6-2 6-1
SF: Won 6-0 6-2
F: Won 6-1 6-1

ROLL ON the Japan Open! I think if she can play like this there, she'll be in with a shot at the title there too.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AjdeNate!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Great win Maria!
Great week Marta!!! :kiss:

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:42 AM
I am just happy for the fans that she made to the final but nothing surprising here.

Andy.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
Yes Well done Masha its party time now. This will do wonders for her form and confidence. Congratulations Masha

Dan23
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
:yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
Well done Maria, great tournament...:D
A deserved win...regardless of the opponents..

Well done to Marta too for making the final...

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:46 AM
She dropped only 15 games to the title! :D

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Yes Well done Masha its party time now. This will do wonders for her form and confidence. Congratulations Masha

I think this will do wonders for her bank balance not her confidence!

tennisIlove09
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
yeaness! :bounce: :bounce: go girl!

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Udachi Masha. :yeah:

Another Russian title. :hearts:

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:56 AM
I wonder how many puns the media can come up with for this title win...

Maria's heart and Seoul...
Seoul Sister...

SEOUL SURVIVOR...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Another tier IV, another title! well done Maria!!

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM

i think this is her 1st tier 4 title!

Bamafan717
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Maria's heart and Seoul

How about "Gold digging is in her Seoul"

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Well,anything that does wonders for your bank balance can't be bad for your self confidence either ;) Seriously though,I guess that as a tennis player she had really nothing to gain in playing this tournament. If she had lost everybody would have had a good laugh about it. Now that she's won everybody thinks it's only normal. Anyway,congrats to Maria for giving a good account of herself. You still have to beat the girls at the other side of the net,and she did so convincingly. So,well done.

I think this will do wonders for her bank balance not her confidence!

Andy.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Wow only dropping 15 games thats a great achievement Tier 4 or not she was the tournaments dominent Player

Wojtek
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:02 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Check stats before you're posting your stupid opinion

sabandborg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Masha!

Take your own path, follow your heart ... fart in the direction of the critics!

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Masha!

Take your own path, follow your heart ... fart in the direction of the critics!

I certainly do not criticise her for going their and taking the money, I would do they same. Yet again, I am critical of those who say she is finally showing again the form she showed at Wimbledon and winning because that is not the case most of the big guns are taking time off.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Wojtek, you get the drift.....well, you´re right. I should have said: another low tournament, another Maria title. That is more like it..

But she´s young...by this time next year I don´t expect her to be playing these tournaments anymore.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
If winning a tier II and beating the in form u.s.open champ wasn´t seen as the return of Serena, how can this be seen as the return of Maria?! Come on guys...the highest ranked player other than Maria was barely ranked in the top 50. It would´ve been a disgrace if she didn´t win. Zurich, Zurich...THAT will tell us something.

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
I certainly do not criticise her for going their and taking the money, I would do they same. Yet again, I am critical of those who say she is finally showing again the form she showed at Wimbledon and winning because that is not the case most of the big guns are taking time off.
I wouldn't say she's in the form she was in at Wimbledon... there she beat players like Frazier, Sugiyama, Davenport, Williams... The highest ranked player Masha played at Seoul was lil' Sammy Stosur... But the point is she played well.

Greenout
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
But she´s young...by this time next year I don´t expect her to be playing these tournaments anymore.

I'm afraid to ask what tournaments you think Sharpy will be
playing next year! :tape: :eek:

Halloween is early this year!

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:19 AM
I'm afraid to ask what tournaments you think Sharpy will be
playing next year! :tape: :eek:

Halloween is early this year!

Only tier II´s and higher....simple as that. No Tokyo´s and stuff....more Fildestadt, Moscow...tourneys like that. And of course doing better than the measly odd qf, of course.

Emptiness
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
Well congrats.
Now go to Moscow. :p

CooCooCachoo
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:25 AM
She'd have been tested much more if she'd chosen to play in Hasselt and Filderstadt.

CooCooCachoo
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Congrats to her though.. Marta :sad: Anne :sad:

Greenout
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Only tier II´s and higher....simple as that. No Tokyo´s and stuff....more Fildestadt, Moscow...tourneys like that. And of course doing better than the measly odd qf, of course.

You know, I have an odd feeling that these Asian tournaments
are all going to get upgrades. All you need to do that is increase
the prize money, and the WTA has to endorse it by giving them
the players they need. I can see this happening. The Asian events
and the Middle East tour are the tournaments with increases
in seats filled for 2004.

Bamafan717
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
The highest ranked player Masha played at Seoul was lil' Sammy Stosur... But the point is she played well.

My God!

Maria fans fail to see that she played well against a challenger player! 4 to be specific. Any top ten player can beat Marta 6-1 6-1. This isn't a comeback, folks!

Any decent tennis player knows, including me, from experience that if you beat lower, i mean LOWER, ranked tennis player badly, you will go in with confidence. But, once you play a higher opponent again, you will think you are playing against another bagel girl and you will be over-powered. This will happen to Maria.

I will always fail to see how you can gain confidence from this!

chris whiteside
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
What a strange and highly amusing thread. Winning Wimbledon is a great achievement but how any poster can get almost orgasmic over someone winning a Tier IV title is baffling.

In fact, it's pathetic that a player of Miss Sharapova's standing enters such a lowly tournament where no other competitor is even ranked in the world's top 40.

In turn she beat the players ranked numbers 93, 258, 81, 113 and 100.

Woo, hoo. What an achievement!

Doraemon
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Bandabou has nothing good to say about Masha no matter what. He was bitter after her victory at Wimby and I know he's jealous of her for getting all the attention some of which Serena otherwise would have received. Poor guy.

waratahsrock
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:14 AM
sour grapes mr whiteside.
by the way, what happened to the england rugby team when they came downunder this year???

waratahsrock
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:21 AM
i'd also have to say, maria's serve seems to have improved.
and she's cutting down on a lot of silly errors.
CONGRATULATIONS MARIA!

Vass22
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
This is a tier 4! Nothing to be so excited about!

Vass22
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
She'd have been tested much more if she'd chosen to play in Hasselt and Filderstadt.
Sure she would've. Even Kournikova would have won such a small title.

Daniel
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Congrats Maria :yeah:

chris whiteside
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
sour grapes mr whiteside.
by the way, what happened to the england rugby team when they came downunder this year???

If there's any sour grapes about it's yourself. What has the England Rugby team to do with Tennis or this thread? ( I'm not English and I couldn't give a toss about them anyway.)

As for the rest :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: you need to get a sense of perspective. The quality of the players in the event speaks for itself.

gmak
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
congrats maria :yeah: :D

for the haters http://smileys.******************/cat/10/10_6_8.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001)

~SunFlower~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:20 AM
for the haters http://smileys.******************/cat/10/10_6_8.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001)

:lol: :lol: good one

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Bandabou has nothing good to say about Masha no matter what. He was bitter after her victory at Wimby and I know he's jealous of her for getting all the attention some of which Serena otherwise would have received. Poor guy.

:haha: :rolls: Nice try...

I ain´t the only who says that there isn´t any reason for Maria fans to go on a frenzy over this victory. Yeah, it is nice for the record books...bubt that´s it. With the quality of the field, nothing less should´ve been expected.*

If some fans said Serena shouldn´t celebrate her title at China last week, while she beat a field of top 30 and better players, then winning a tier IV facing only players barely ranked in the top 100.....

P.s.: Serena is 23, Maria is 17....the future is Maria. Serena already did everything that can be done in tennis: won all 4 majors, no.1, doubles grand slam, yec´s....nothing more to prove. Now it´s Maria turn to go out and see if she can do all of that.

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM

:haha: :haha:

Ahh... :yeah:

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM

:haha. :rolls: For what?! For beating a no. 100 player?! :haha: :rolls:

BoucharDRules
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
Poor Marta. :sad: But still, it was a good showing for her.

Now, I wonder if my Miami Dolphins can enter the CFL and take home the Grey Cup?

I like Maria, but I kinda hope that all the low-ranked players she killed in this tournament jump her in the lockerroom.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Congratulations, Masha!!

And best of luck at your next tournament!

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
well she won which wasn't a surprise .... she however shouldn't have entered the tournament anyway. Leave the lower tier events to the lower level players so they can get that recognition.

Tjaaa....after a 6-2 6-2 drubbing last week, you need SOMETHING to get that confidence going....plus $ 200.000 appearance fee doesn´t hurt either.

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Tjaaa....after a 6-2 6-2 drubbing last week, you need SOMETHING to get that confidence going....plus $ 200.000 appearance fee doesn´t hurt either.

This has got nothing to do with last weeks result. She wanted to go to Korea and promote the sport, and make Korean tennis fans happy. Also, she scheduled the tournament a long time ago.

I take it you must have thought Serena should have entered a tier 4 event after her drubbing in the wimbledon final?

vettipooh
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Wojtek, you get the drift.....well, you´re right. I should have said: another low tournament, another Maria title. That is more like it..

But she´s young...by this time next year I don´t expect her to be playing these tournaments anymore. Sure she will,bandabou...money talks and.......:tape:

tennischick
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
congrats Maria. this should silence your critics for a while. say, five minutes? ;)

WF4EVER
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
What a strange and highly amusing thread. Winning Wimbledon is a great achievement but how any poster can get almost orgasmic over someone winning a Tier IV title is baffling.

In fact, it's pathetic that a player of Miss Sharapova's standing enters such a lowly tournament where no other competitor is even ranked in the world's top 40.

In turn she beat the players ranked numbers 93, 258, 81, 113 and 100.

Woo, hoo. What an achievement!
When the defending Wimbledon champion wins a Tier IV I also fail to see what the hullabaloo is about. If she hadn't won she shoulda been shot. There was no one here whom she should have lost to, so what's the big deal?

Unfortunately for Anna she probably thought she was too pretty to show up at a Tier IV. Otherwise she would have had a singles crown too.

Lucy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately for Anna she probably thought she was too pretty to show up at a Tier IV. Otherwise she would have had a singles crown too.
I think she did play a few tier IV tournaments and she couldn't even win it:o

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Congratulations to Maria! :yeah:

I know winning this tournament isn't something we should be too excited about since this tournament was below her level. But what I am especially happy about is what Maria said after the match.

She said that this is the first time she played 3 tournaments in a row but was feeling better than ever.

So regardless how much of an achievement winning this tournament was, I'm happy she says she's feeling good, after the difficult period she went through after her Wimbledon win.

And I think a title is a title which is always something worth celebrating. And this doesn't only apply to this case of course...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Congratulations to Maria! :yeah:

I know winning this tournament isn't something we should be too excited about since this tournament was below her level. But what I am especially happy about is what Maria said after the match.

She said that this is the first time she played 3 tournaments in a row but was feeling better than ever.

So regardless how much of an achievement winning this tournament was, I'm happy she says she's feeling good, after the difficult period she went through after her Wimbledon win.

And I think a title is a title which is always something worth celebrating. And this doesn't only apply to this case of course...

Great to hear for her....

And you mean a title can be celebrated in EVERY case?! Great...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
This has got nothing to do with last weeks result. She wanted to go to Korea and promote the sport, and make Korean tennis fans happy. Also, she scheduled the tournament a long time ago.

I take it you must have thought Serena should have entered a tier 4 event after her drubbing in the wimbledon final?

Of course, of course....:lol: If you believe it, you believe it.

Nah, for Serena a tier II would do...

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Great to hear for her....

And you mean a title can be celebrated in EVERY case?! Great... What else should you do? Mourn because you won a tournament?

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
What else should you do? Mourn because you won a tournament?

You do remember our conversation about Serena´s title last week, huh?! Now everybody´s in a groovy...but last week it was: you kidding?! A measly tier II?!

But I do agree with you: titles are titles.

tennischick
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
I think Anna did play a few tier IV tournaments and she couldn't even win it:oif i remember correctly, it was the first time in a long time she made it past the first round of a tourny. i think she lost in the second. :lol: :tape:

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
You do remember our conversation about Serena´s title last week, huh?! Now everybody´s in a groovy...but last week it was: you kidding?! A measly tier II?!

But I do agree with you: titles are titles. I haven't seen the posts about Serena's Tier II victory you're talking about.

But please do remember that a lot of people on this board are frantic fans of only one player and would rather die than saying one positive word about a player they dislike/hate.

Personally I don't see why anyone would try to downgrade Serena's victory. Just as I understand why people are downgrading Maria's victory.

Anyway. It's logical people don't take much value out of Maria's victory, but that's only because of her reputation. Most 17 year olds would be more than happy with a Tier IV victory. If Domachowska for example would have won the tournament it would be much celebrated even while she's older than Maria.

Anyway. It's all understandable and logical of course. But a title is a title and if Maria says she's feeling better than ever now then her victory had more than one good cause...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
I haven't seen the posts about Serena's Tier II victory you're talking about.

But please do remember that a lot of people on this board are frantic fans of only one player and would rather die than saying one positive word about a player they dislike/hate.

Personally I don't see why anyone would try to downgrade Serena's victory. Just as I understand why people are downgrading Maria's victory.

Anyway. It's logical people don't take much value out of Maria's victory, but that's only because of her reputation. Most 17 year olds would be more than happy with a Tier IV victory. If Domachowska for example would have won the tournament it would be much celebrated even while she's older than Maria.

Anyway. It's all understandable and logical of course. But a title is a title and if Maria says she's feeling better than ever now then her victory had more than one good cause...

Come on Frank, gotta do a better job searching. Thread titles: After beating the china open defeating u.s.open champion, does Serena still need a new coach?! or Serena def Svetlana, etc...

It´s all about reputation for sure...but still congrats Maria.

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Come on Frank, gotta do a better job searching. Thread titles: After beating the china open defeating u.s.open champion, does Serena still need a new coach?! or Serena def Svetlana, etc...

It´s all about reputation for sure...but still congrats Maria. I have better things to do than searching for Serena bashing threads you know...;)

But if you say so...

Anyway...Bottom line is: Why would you take these 5, or maybe 10, posters seriously?

I'd laugh at them for their ignorance...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
I have better things to do than searching for Serena bashing threads you know...;)

But if you say so...

Anyway...Bottom line is: Why would you take these 5, or maybe 10, posters seriously?

I'd laugh at them for their ignorance...

I did....and that´s why I´m laughing now, because they´re just contradicting themselves.

Harju.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
I did....and that´s why I´m laughing now, because they´re just contradicting themselves.
dang!! words!! :worship:

Congrats Maria for winning. Now let's rumble and rock on in Japan again.

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
I did....and that´s why I´m laughing now, because they´re just contradicting themselves. And that's a good thing...

I'll celebrate the day the majority of people will see the fans of a player and the player herself as two different things...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
And that's a good thing...

I'll celebrate the day the majority of people will see the fans of a player and the player herself as two different things...

You mean you and Maria aren´t the same person?! :eek: :bolt: :lol:

Frank
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
You mean you and Maria aren´t the same person?! :eek: :bolt: :lol: :lol: You're such a clever guy...:p

But seriously...The one thing I really can't stand is people disliking a player because of his/her fans...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
:lol: You're such a clever guy...:p

But seriously...The one thing I really can't stand is people disliking a player because of his/her fans...

Yep..just stupid.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Well congrats to Maria

But really it's a bit of a joke I mean I could understand her playing this sort of tournament last year but this year :rolleyes: don't see why she really needed to play here still money does weird things to people :tape:

pcrtennis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
I hope Sharapova feels good about winning this... :o :rolleyes: :o

BoucharDRules
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
I hope Sharapova feels good about winning this... :o :rolleyes: :o

I hope she feels like crap. It's too bad these players had to be slaughtered just to feed Maria's bloated ego and to pay her handlers.

the cat
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
I'm not exactly thrilled that Maria played a Tier IV tournament. But atleast she won the title with ease. Although Masha really has alot to prove. Especially when it comes to play the top players.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
I hope she feels like crap. It's too bad these players had to be slaughtered just to feed Maria's bloated ego and to pay her handlers.
There's no way Maria is happy playing these crapfests, and stinking it up against the top 30.

Maria used to be called the future of tennis. That wasn't so long ago.
Now she's irrelevant at big tournaments.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Up till now, you´re pretty much right golden.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
I don't like saying it. But San Diego, Montreal, New Haven, the US Open, and Beijing.
Maria was in all of them, and didn't beat a top 30 player.
In Korea, she didn't play a top 80 player.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Yep...I think girl needs to need improve in that department. Maybe top 10 is a bit too high now, but everybody else shouldn´t be much problem and that hasn´t been the case apart from the grass season.

Paldias
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Congrats Maria! :D Although I kind of expected it :shrug:

Great, great, great, great week Marta! :yeah:

Good luck in Japan Maria! :yeah:

waratahsrock
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:10 PM
I think she did play a few tier IV tournaments and she couldn't even win it:o
yea, anna played a tear IV in auckland a few years back and lost in the semi!
CONGRATULATIONS MARIA!

Fairbanks
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:09 PM
Great job Maria, keep up the good work!!! :bounce:

grmbl
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
suprise, suprise :rolleyes:

Lemonskin.
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Oh god... come on...

If Serena had been at Seoul instead of Masha and won the title all the bloody Serena fans would be jumping up and down saying how she's now unbeatable and had won 2 titles in a row...

All you hypocrytes, you'd all be happy if your fave won that title, leave Maria alone. She's put that tournament on the map by being there and they should be happy, because next year it will likely just be a crappy tier IV with no top 50 players.

fabifan#1
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:58 AM
well it was kinda obvious

tennisIlove09
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:36 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041003/capt.xlee10510030833.south_korea_open_xlee105.jpg

Doc
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Congrats Maria!

Good to see her take this title in such a dominant way.

Hilarious how the embittered Masha Bashers, who were saying she wouldn't get past the 2nd round a week ago, now change their line when she wins it easily!

Bamafan717
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say this:

Why should we be called Maria Haters?

I don't hate Maria. I hate her annoying fans. :tape:

My User CP is gonna be regretting this.....:tape:

chris whiteside
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM

My User CP is gonna be regretting this.....:tape:

Well said, Bamafan but I would amend that to SOME of her annoying fans who seem to plague this Board.

SelesFan70
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM
A win is a win is a win, honey, so don't let anyone rain on your parade, Maria fans! :D

chris whiteside
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Oh god... come on...

If Serena had been at Seoul instead of Masha and won the title all the bloody Serena fans would be jumping up and down saying how she's now unbeatable and had won 2 titles in a row...

All you hypocrytes, you'd all be happy if your fave won that title, leave Maria alone. She's put that tournament on the map by being there and they should be happy, because next year it will likely just be a crappy tier IV with no top 50 players.

You cannot speak for me and you are quite wrong anyway. If while she was highly ranked, Serena had entered and won a Tier IV event with no other players in the top 40 entered and having beaten no player ranked higher than #80 I would think she was pathetic in this instance too.

jojoseph
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Talk about steamrollin'!

Bamafan717
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM
A win is a win is a win, honey, so don't let anyone rain on your parade, Maria fans! :D

Well of course it is a win :retard:

We are just saying it is a very cheap win :yeah:

BTW,

That parade has flooded if you see how Maria fans have been acting.

tennischick
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Seoul: Too Rich or Too Thin

From what we've heard about Maria Sharapova's endorsements lately, it sounds as if she could buy the whole tournament at Seoul, with quite a bit left over for other sporting events. And if that wasn't enough to have going for her, by Friday, there was only one other player ranked above #100 in draw (which had been thin from the start): #8 seed Samantha Stosur.

Sharapova took care of that situation in very short order, eliminating the Australian 6-2 6-1. Meanwhile, Anne Kremer was reaching her first semifinal since Amelia Island 2002 with a 2-6 6-4 6-1 win over Sanda Mamic (who had herself been going for her first semifinal), Abigail Spears made her first semifinal with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Shahar Peer, and Marta Domachowska eliminated Silvija Talaja 7-6 2-6 6-0.

The semifinal was guaranteed to give us a first time finalist, either Domachowska (whose best previous result had been a semifinal at Sopot) or Spears. It proved to be Domachowska, who took care of Spears 7-6 6-1. As for Sharapova, she cruised again, beating Kremer 6-0 6-2 to reach her first final since Wimbledon.

The final was all you'd expect when a Top Ten player faced an opponent ranked #100. I.e. not much. Sharapova proved that she can still win, at least in fields weaker than some Challengers; she took home her first post-Wimbledon title in less than an hour, beating Domachowska 6-1 6-1. (To be fair, she has been learning from her recent troubles; even in victory, she conceded, "To compete with the Top 10 players, there are a lot of things I have to improve on." On the other hand, she now has the record for weakest win of the year: The top opponent she faced was #81 Stosur. In the next-weakest win, Nicole Vaidisova's title at Vancouver, her top opponent was #74 Sequera.) Sharapova, because she was defending points, actually falls from #8 to #10 in the rankings; Domachowska moves up to around #80.

The doubles final was much more exciting, and really gave the locals something to cheer about. Yoon Jeong Cho and Mi-Ra Jeon needed six match points to beat Taiwan's Chia-Jung Chuang and Su-Weih Hsieh 6-3 1-6 7-5. It's the first doubles title for either Korean player.

bob larson's newsletterhttp://tennisone.com/images/hm_blu_line.gif

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM
OMG, why does every single Masha thread have to have some mention of Serena... :rolleyes:

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:12 PM

My User CP is gonna be regretting this.....:tape: The fact that you hate people who you don't even know says a lot about you.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Thing is....not even when she was just starting on tour Serena didn´t play tier III´s. In fact Serena must be the pretty much the only currently playing top player that has NEVER played lower than tier III´s.

No one is begrudging Maria´s title. It was a win...considering the field she was expected to win and she did what she needed to do.

It just happenes that some fans, who happen to be Maria fans, said that Serena was lucky that Svetlana was tired and before that Maria was gonna beat Serena again in the F...and then when Serena won, it was...don´t blow the horn, because she was lucky...sveta was tired and blah blah.

In that light: why blow the horn now for a win for a title while facing just one player ranked in the top 80?!

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Bandabou...Could you give me a link to one of these threads? You're getting me curious now.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Bandabou...Could you give me a link to one of these threads? You're getting me curious now.

working on it, frankieboy...just a sec.

xan
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Knowing Bandabou, you may be waiting a long time for that information.

I'm just happy for Maria, and title No 3 this year!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041003/capt.xlee10410030834.south_korea_open_xlee104.jpg

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Here you go frankie...one of them. : http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=4236220#post4236220

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Here you go frankie...one of them. : http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=4236220#post4236220 Dank u zeer.

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
I expected more than this. What are we talking about here? Some poster who has only 300 posts in more than a year and a bad reputation, some banned poster who lasted less than a month and slightly more than 100 posts.

There's only one poster who said that who I take seriously.

xan
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Here you go frankie...one of them. : http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=4236220#post4236220
I don't see anyone in that thread with a Maria sig.

The only mention of Maria there is from a basher.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Another one frankie: http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=134883

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=134837

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:29 PM
It's that cheo guy again! He can't even write. Ignore the guy!

Haven't read the second thread...

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Just posting evidence.....I don´t know who is who...

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Still...Apart from that cheo person, who I don't take serious, there are maybe 2 people who said something bad about Serena's win...And I haven't seen them talking about Maria either. Or am I missing something?

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
There was another one: wojtek....but I can´t remember the thread....still working on that one.

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM
There was another one: wojtek....but I can´t remember the thread....still working on that one. Don't put too much work in it. ;)

No doubt some people critisized Serena after her Bali win. But even if there were 2 posters who mocked Serena and then hailed Maria...So what?

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Don't put too much work in it. ;)

No doubt some people critisized Serena after her Bali win. But even if there were 2 posters who mocked Serena and then hailed Maria...So what?

Beijing, Beijiing.....Bali is tier III and Serena doesn´t play tier II´s, remember?!

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Beijing, Beijiing.....Bali is tier III and Serena doesn´t play tier II´s, remember?! Oh well...Beijing then. But that still leaves my point, why care about 2 or 3 bashers?

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Oh well...Beijing then. But that still leaves my point, why care about 2 or 3 bashers?

Here another link, frankieboy....http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=134606&page=2

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Here another link, frankieboy....http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=134606&page=2 Rather amusing. I wonder why I missed all these threads. But what's your point about this thread? It's the usual stuff...

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Rather amusing. I wonder why I missed all these threads. But what's your point about this thread? It's the usual stuff...

Nah...just show you the cockiness of some of the Maria-fans and then got the door in the noses!!

jacobruiz
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Nah...just show you the cockiness of some of the Maria-fans and then got the door in the noses!!
Yeah, how great that so many threads are all about "revenge of the offended fans".:p

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah....such a great thing revenge is.

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Nah...just show you the cockiness of some of the Maria-fans and then got the door in the noses!!I won't call anyone cocky, but every player has annoying fans, not just Maria.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I won't call anyone cocky, but every player has annoying fans, not just Maria.

Of course....

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Of course.... It's just annoying that Maria has relatively more "non-tennis" fans than most other players.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:44 PM
It's just annoying that Maria has relatively more "non-tennis" fans than most other players.

Yep...hoe groot haar borsten zijn, gaat ze model-werk doen?! etc...

Frank
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Yep...hoe groot haar borsten zijn, gaat ze model-werk doen?! etc... Oh well...As long as it doesn't become to bad.

Realistically spoken there are probably more people caring about her looks than about her tennis worldwide.

jacobruiz
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Oh well...As long as it doesn't become to bad.

Realistically spoken there are probably more people caring about her looks than about her tennis worldwide.
And that's really so terrible? I think when Venus and Serena started to get noticed, there were probably more fans caring about the fact that they were Black sisters than about their tennis. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

I don't care who else likes my faves or why they do. As long as they're not murderous stalkers!

bandabou
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Loving somebody for their looks isn´t problematic....HYPING them up because of their looks is a problem.

When Sveta and Maria post up big results they BOTH should receive the same ammount of accolades for it....but now you saw Maria going on all those talk-shows, this and that, while Sveta barely got an article. Not good.

Richie H
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Loving somebody for their looks isn´t problematic....HYPING them up because of their looks is a problem.

When Sveta and Maria post up big results they BOTH should receive the same ammount of accolades for it....but now you saw Maria going on all those talk-shows, this and that, while Sveta barely got an article. Not good.

What do u think of kournikova getting all the hype for LOSING and NEVER winning any title?

bandabou
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:11 AM
What do u think of kournikova getting all the hype for LOSING and NEVER winning any title?

That tops it all..

I Love Sharapova
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Maria,as always,sweetie,congratulations. I am sure you will win many more titles before your career is finished. It's not the U.S OPEN,but hey, at least you have shown the nay sayers that you are here to stay for quite awhile. :worship: ;) :bounce: :bounce: :hatoff: :banana:

Jackson.
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Another title for Masha! :D :D :D

Lemonskin.
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
:D Title #5 :D

Bamafan717
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:57 AM
It's not the U.S OPEN,but hey, at least you have shown the nay sayers that you are here to stay for quite a while.

Well folks, this is pure evidence that Masha fans have been brainwashed!

bandabou
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:07 PM
The titles keep coming....just shows you that tier IV´s are easy to come by!

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
And that's really so terrible? I think when Venus and Serena started to get noticed, there were probably more fans caring about the fact that they were Black sisters than about their tennis. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

I don't care who else likes my faves or why they do. As long as they're not murderous stalkers! When did I say that is a terrible thing?

Attention is always good, whether it is for her tennis or her looks. It just annoys me to read posts of people who hope her breasts will grow.

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Well folks, this is pure evidence that Masha fans have been brainwashed! Are you really ignorant or is this something like a part of a school assignment to see how serious people on a messageboard will take someone who pretends to be ignorant?

Jasmin
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Who else was suppose to win this tournament.

Bamafan717
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Are you really ignorant or is this something like a part of a school assignment to see how serious people on a messageboard will take someone who pretends to be ignorant?

I think that might be one of the most confusing and rediculous statements ever posted on this board :lol: Sorry Babe. Nice try, though. ;)

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I think that might be one of the most confusing and rediculous statements ever posted on this board :lol: Sorry Babe. Nice try, though. ;)
Don't blame me for your incapability to read a simple sentence.

Bamafan717
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Don't blame me for your incapability to read a simple sentence.

I didn't blame you. Maybe you need to re-read the statements and see who had the incapability :p

The brainwash statement was a pure joke to show people that Masha fans get excited over this piece of shit title in which she won over some of the worst players in the WTA Tour.

It's not the U.S OPEN,but hey, at least you have shown the nay sayers that you are here to stay for quite a while.

:lol:

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I didn't blame you. Maybe you need to re-read the statements and see who had the incapability :p
Since you seem so intelligent and knowledgable about the English language, maybe you could give me a quick lesson how I should have written that sentence? Even though it may not be in the best of style, I can't imagine someone not getting the point of that sentence.

The brainwash statement was a pure joke to show people that Masha fans get excited over this piece of shit title in which she won over some of the worst players in the WTA Tour.

:lol:
That doesn't sound really respectful to the players Maria beat there. If you think these top 150 players are worse than the players outside the top 150 maybe you're not so knowledgable after all.

So tell me what you would have done if Serena had won this title, cry?

Bamafan717
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Serena doesn't go down to that level. She is better than that. And yes, if she would've played this tournament, I think I would be very embarresed. Just like Sharapova and her fans should be.

BTW,

This isn't grammar school, babe ;)

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Serena doesn't go down to that level. She is better than that. And yes, if she would've played this tournament, I think I would be very embarresed. Just like Sharapova and her fans should be.

BTW,

This isn't grammar school, babe ;)
Funny. I knew you were going to give this answer. It's the easiest way out. Why would I be embaressed about this? She won the tournament convincingly. There's nothing to be embaressed of. It would have been embaressing would she have canceled this tournament because she won Wimbledon. I'm sure you would be the first one saying how arrogant that would be.

I know this isn't grammar school. That's why I was wondering why you brought up this language thing in the first place. Apparently you felt the need to attack someone on his use of language, and now you're saying this isn't grammar school? Why can't you just explain what you didn't understand about my statement? I might try to make it somewhat more simple, so not only the normally developed people on this board can actually understand it.

And please, do me a favor. Try to think of something more original than calling me "babe". I'm sure even you can think of something yourself instead of copying other people.

Bamafan717
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:19 AM
She won the tournament convincingly over Tier VI(6) players while she is a Top Ten player. It wouldn't have been embarrising if she cancelled it. It would make a lot of logic. It would be (and still was) unfair to the other players that need these lower titles to get their confidence going.

I just wish that there was a least ONE Masha fan that would agree that she was an embarresment at this tournament. So sad that they don't understand :sad: :sobbing:

Btw,

You even asked me what I would do if Serena would've played this so I gave you what I would've felt. But you critisize me for answering the way I feel :rolleyes:

THERE IS NO WAY THAT A WIN OF THIS LEVEL CAN HELP A TOP 10 PLAYER!!!!!

Frank
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
She won the tournament convincingly over Tier VI(6) players while she is a Top Ten player. It wouldn't have been embarrising if she cancelled it. It would make a lot of logic. It would be (and still was) unfair to the other players that need these lower titles to get their confidence going.
I shouldn't take somone serious who thinks Tier VI tournaments exist, but since I don't judge people very soon I guess you just made a typing error.

It's very easy for you to say she shouldn't have played that tournament but would she have cancelled it she would have received criticism for starlike behaviour, feeling to good to play tournaments like this.

I hope your argument about unfairness for the other players is a joke. It's probably one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard. As a professional athlete you only have yourself to be concerned about. What are you going to say next? That players should hold back against lower ranked players to give these players the feeling they are better than they are? Because they would get sad otherwise?

I just wish that there was a least ONE Masha fan that would agree that she was an embarresment at this tournament. So sad that they don't understand :sad: :sobbing:
First of all, you don't know all Maria fans. Second, you have serious problems when you actually believe your opinion is a fact.
Btw,

You even asked me what I would do if Serena would've played this so I gave you what I would've felt. But you critisize me for answering the way I feel :rolleyes:
Is that so? Where exactly did I critisize you for that?
THERE IS NO WAY THAT A WIN OF THIS LEVEL CAN HELP A TOP 10 PLAYER!!!!!
You won't hear me saying that winning this tournament was a remarkable performance, but saying it had no use whatsoever makes no sense.

Btw,

How convenient for you to completely ignore my other points. I guess I should interpret that as you agreeing with them. We have this saying here: Being silent is agreeing.