PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Sharapova?

henree
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:29 AM
I don't get why she is still playing challenger events. She is the Wimbledon 2004 champion. She doesn't need to be taking not only prize money from the up and coming tennis players, but robbing them of a chance of a title which can give them some sort of esteem. I am sorry I don't agree with all of you , but it is a damn shame when a grand slam winning top 10 player plays such an event... :bs:

bw2082
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
$300000 appearance fee. Enough said.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:36 AM
We haven't seen this thread nearly enough times yet.

Fingon
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:41 AM
she is playing a challenger???? :confused:

where? when?

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:45 AM
1. it's not a challenger.
2. she committed before she won wimbledon and obviously before she was top10.
3. money, and lots.
4. confidence. she's in a slump right now, and a string of wins could really help her mentally.

^^put those in any order you wish.
even if you think it's the money, what's wrong with that? she's a professional tennis player. playing tennis for money is what she does. this tournament would have no following if she wasn't in it. they paid big bucks to have a big name get the ball rolling, and i think it's worked beautifully.

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
there's nothing wrong with it

but, then dont whine about how you're so Russian when you play this crap in place of moscow, dont whine about how you're so committed to being #1 since you wont get there by winning these worthless tournaments and dont whine how the AER screws you over

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:51 AM
She has alot of fans in Korea who want to see her and are willing to pay!

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:53 AM

but, then dont whine about how you're so Russian when you play this crap in place of moscow, dont whine about how you're so committed to being #1 since you wont get there by winning these worthless tournaments and dont whine how the AER screws you over
i take those as valid points as well. she shouldn't talk about that stuff when she clearly went here in place of a tournament in her "home country." but i disagree with the number one thing. she needs to keep learning what it is in her game that wins her matches, and she needs to get matches, get wins, and get confidance before she beats the big dogs again. she's slumping right now.

Rollo
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:06 AM
Besides-it's not like there's a big tier event to play this week.

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Besides-it's not like there's a big tier event to play this week.
Hasselt is a pretty strong field, i'd like to see Masha against Dementieva, Bovina and Clijsters

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:15 AM
Hasselt is a pretty strong field, i'd like to see Masha against Dementieva, Bovina and Clijsters

Read post #2

Lemonskin.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:41 AM
1. it's not a challenger.
2. she committed before she won wimbledon and obviously before she was top10.
3. money, and lots.
4. confidence. she's in a slump right now, and a string of wins could really help her mentally.

^^put those in any order you wish.
even if you think it's the money, what's wrong with that? she's a professional tennis player. playing tennis for money is what she does. this tournament would have no following if she wasn't in it. they paid big bucks to have a big name get the ball rolling, and i think it's worked beautifully.
YESYESYES. Spot on.

Henree should think more before he goes and posts something like this.

Andy.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:55 AM
Well Said faboozadoo15

sabandborg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Why the hell do fans get upset when a player decides to get paid? Ladies & Gentlemen its frickin' PRO tennis. THE PLAYERS ARE PLAYING FOR MONEY!

Bamafan717
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:03 AM
She isn't really earning the money. She deserves about 5% of the total amount of money she is getting from this tournament!

Richie H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM
She isn't really earning the money. She deserves about 5% of the total amount of money she is getting from this tournament!

What she got is what she deserved, thats $325,000 and a title.

Dan23
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
This thread -> :yawn: :zzz:
faboozadoo15 summed it up pretty well..

Bamafan717
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:09 AM
oh, I forgot. It is normal for a player to recieve $300,000 for taking a plane ride :rolleyes:

t_fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:22 AM

Lina, you're knowledgeable about tennis. What's the consequences of neglecting first-time championship rule? Yuri Sharapov said she has obligations for playing AIG Open. Don't you think that playing KC and Tokyo back-to-back is not too convenient to put it mildly? What's the link about saying she's Russian and not playing KC? As for number #1 thing, expressing her commitment to be at the top doesn't mean she should enter only higher tiered events immediately and ditch previosly scheduled tourneys considering her current form.