PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on SI.com on good and bad sportsmanship in tennis this year

lukehingis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:14 AM
(Un)Sportsmanlike conduct
Three good deeds (and three bad ones)
By Kristin Green Morse, tennis producer for SI.com

Sportsmanlike
• Olivier Rochus: The 5-foot-5 Belgian, who has been mistaken for a ballboy, was winless in four U.S. Open attempts until this year when Rochus scrambled to the Round of 16, eventually succumbing to cramps and Dominik Hrbaty in five sets. But before losing, the vertically challenged competitor upset third-seeded Carlos Moya in a gripping five-set third-round match. Down a game point in the third, Rochus and Moya engaged in a long rally. The 6-foot-3 Moya eventually hit a shot that was called out by the linesman. Rochus smiled, walked up to the chair umpire and conceded the point. Not a small gesture.
• Andy Roddick: Although a bit cantankerous at the U.S. Open, Roddick’s behavior a couple of weeks earlier at the Olympics was anything but. Upset in the Round of 16 by Chile's Fernando Gonzalez, Roddick would have been excused if he’d immediately departed Athens to prepare for the Open. Instead, the world's second-ranked player continued to stay in the Olympic Village and encourage his U.S. teammates. Notably, Roddick lived and died with each point Mardy Fish played in the gold medal round against Nicolas Massu of Chile. The roller-coaster five-set match ended in Massu's favor.

• Venus Williams: After her 7-6, 7-6 loss to Karolina Sprem in the second round of Wimbledon, Williams was well within her rights to complain about the officiating. Chair umpire Ted Watts granted Sprem an extra point in the second set tiebreaker, which the Croatian teenager went on to win 8-6. Instead of pointing fingers, Williams was complimentary toward her opponent's play and never publicly chided the umpire. "I don't think one call makes a match," said Williams at the post-match press conference.

Unsportsmanlike

• Although the The (Charleston) Post and Courier 's headline Petty Patty irritated Martina Navratilova ("They would not say that about men …"), petty seemed an apt description for Patty Schnyder’s behavior during her semifinal bout with Conchita Martinez at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., in April. Schnyder was annoyed with her opponent's slow, deliberate pace between points, charging that Martinez was engaging in gamesmanship. (Players have 20 seconds between points, but the chair umpire never asked Martinez to speed up.) Schnyder mocked Martinez during the match, and after Martinez won 6-4, 6-3, the two met at the net for the customary hand shake. Both reached out, but Schnyder pulled her hand away. From there, the dispute spiraled to a war of words: Martinez said Schnyder was "childish" and Schnyder retorted that Martinez was "nasty." All in all, it wasn't pretty.
• 2004 may best be remembered as the Year of the Umpire. Enter: Ted Watts and Mariana Alves. Watts, who sat in the chair for the controversial Venus Williams-Karolina Sprem match at Wimbledon, inexplicably lost track of the score in the second set tiebreaker, granting an extra point to the teenager from Croatia. One point does not make or break a match, but when the final score is 7-6, 7-6, every point counts. Then, as though not to be outdone, Alves -- the chair umpire for the Serena Williams-Jennifer Capriati U.S. Open quarterfinal -- overruled a linesperson's call early in the third set that went against Serena. Replays showed that the ball was well within the line. Serena summed it up best at her press conference: "I just feel robbed."

• It wasn’t Jennifer Capriati’s fault that one of this year’s most infamous overrules (see item No. 2) occurred during her U.S. Open quarterfinal thriller with Serena Williams, but she didn’t win any fans when, in the next round, against Elena Dementieva she tried to steal a point. In the third game of the final set, chair umpire Luann White erroneously called the score 30-30 when it should have been 40-15 for Dementieva. White quickly corrected her mistake to which Capriati yelled, "You can't change it now!" White explained she could indeed change the score, prompting Capriati to utter an expletive and White to issue a warning. Dementieva went on to win the match 7-6 in the third.

http://sipoy.secondthought.com/archive/tennis/conduct.html

Hope it's not been posted yet!
but :eek: with regards to Jen Cap!!!

CJ07
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:17 AM
Jen did that? :rolleyes:

esquímaux
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
:haha: @ Jen, silly Jenny :p

:hearts: @ Rochus

*DEAD* @ Patty!

vogus
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:47 AM
it amazed me that Patty was not fined or disciplined in any way by the WTA for that ugly behavior, and that she never apologized (i don't mean apologize to Martinez, i mean, to the fans and the tournament) or took responsibility for it at all. It was a disgrace. The ATP would have fined one of their players (Lleyton Hewitt comes to mind) 25,000$ if he had done at a Masters Series event (men's Tier I), what Patty did at Charleston this year. The WTA is really a pathetic organization with no standards and no backbone.

Pretty rancid sportsmanship from JenCap as well - and these are two players who i generally support...

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:39 AM
Yeah,and what a pity that the umpire didn't fall for it :devil: :devil: :devil:

Jen did that? :rolleyes:

rrfnpump
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Rochus :yeah: :hearts:

also respect for Venus :)

Capriati :rolleyes:

AjdeNate!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
:tape: K-Lina's 'fame' is based upon a point that never even was played. :tape:

jenny161185
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
When the umpire called the score wrong in jens match she wasn t trying to steal a point , she was in the match and getting tense and when heard the umpire correct herself she just let her anger out on her

cheo23
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:31 AM
(Un)Sportsmanlike conduct
Three good deeds (and three bad ones)
By Kristin Green Morse, tennis producer for SI.com

Sportsmanlike
• Olivier Rochus: The 5-foot-5 Belgian, who has been mistaken for a ballboy, was winless in four U.S. Open attempts until this year when Rochus scrambled to the Round of 16, eventually succumbing to cramps and Dominik Hrbaty in five sets. But before losing, the vertically challenged competitor upset third-seeded Carlos Moya in a gripping five-set third-round match. Down a game point in the third, Rochus and Moya engaged in a long rally. The 6-foot-3 Moya eventually hit a shot that was called out by the linesman. Rochus smiled, walked up to the chair umpire and conceded the point. Not a small gesture.
• Andy Roddick: Although a bit cantankerous at the U.S. Open, Roddick’s behavior a couple of weeks earlier at the Olympics was anything but. Upset in the Round of 16 by Chile's Fernando Gonzalez, Roddick would have been excused if he’d immediately departed Athens to prepare for the Open. Instead, the world's second-ranked player continued to stay in the Olympic Village and encourage his U.S. teammates. Notably, Roddick lived and died with each point Mardy Fish played in the gold medal round against Nicolas Massu of Chile. The roller-coaster five-set match ended in Massu's favor.

• Venus Williams: After her 7-6, 7-6 loss to Karolina Sprem in the second round of Wimbledon, Williams was well within her rights to complain about the officiating. Chair umpire Ted Watts granted Sprem an extra point in the second set tiebreaker, which the Croatian teenager went on to win 8-6. Instead of pointing fingers, Williams was complimentary toward her opponent's play and never publicly chided the umpire. "I don't think one call makes a match," said Williams at the post-match press conference.

Unsportsmanlike

• Although the The (Charleston) Post and Courier 's headline Petty Patty irritated Martina Navratilova ("They would not say that about men …"), petty seemed an apt description for Patty Schnyder’s behavior during her semifinal bout with Conchita Martinez at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., in April. Schnyder was annoyed with her opponent's slow, deliberate pace between points, charging that Martinez was engaging in gamesmanship. (Players have 20 seconds between points, but the chair umpire never asked Martinez to speed up.) Schnyder mocked Martinez during the match, and after Martinez won 6-4, 6-3, the two met at the net for the customary hand shake. Both reached out, but Schnyder pulled her hand away. From there, the dispute spiraled to a war of words: Martinez said Schnyder was "childish" and Schnyder retorted that Martinez was "nasty." All in all, it wasn't pretty.
• 2004 may best be remembered as the Year of the Umpire. Enter: Ted Watts and Mariana Alves. Watts, who sat in the chair for the controversial Venus Williams-Karolina Sprem match at Wimbledon, inexplicably lost track of the score in the second set tiebreaker, granting an extra point to the teenager from Croatia. One point does not make or break a match, but when the final score is 7-6, 7-6, every point counts. Then, as though not to be outdone, Alves -- the chair umpire for the Serena Williams-Jennifer Capriati U.S. Open quarterfinal -- overruled a linesperson's call early in the third set that went against Serena. Replays showed that the ball was well within the line. Serena summed it up best at her press conference: "I just feel robbed."

• It wasn’t Jennifer Capriati’s fault that one of this year’s most infamous overrules (see item No. 2) occurred during her U.S. Open quarterfinal thriller with Serena Williams, but she didn’t win any fans when, in the next round, against Elena Dementieva she tried to steal a point. In the third game of the final set, chair umpire Luann White erroneously called the score 30-30 when it should have been 40-15 for Dementieva. White quickly corrected her mistake to which Capriati yelled, "You can't change it now!" White explained she could indeed change the score, prompting Capriati to utter an expletive and White to issue a warning. Dementieva went on to win the match 7-6 in the third.

http://sipoy.secondthought.com/archive/tennis/conduct.html

Hope it's not been posted yet!
but :eek: with regards to Jen Cap!!!
Okay this pisses Me off..Why didn't the Tournament fine J.Crap for utterin that Expletive but the Australian Officials Fined My girl SERena like 1,500 dollars for cursin durin her match against Emilie Loit (Australian Open 2003)..Doesn't Make Any SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
:haha: :rolls: Yeah, yeah.....keep telling that to yourself jenny161185, maybe you´ll believe it someday.

NEVER have seen someone protest a correction by the umpire that EVERYBODY knew was the right one...

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Well cheo.....some people can, some people can´t. I think in fact that if Serena had gone on a f-bomb tirade during her match against Jen, that she would have gotten a fine.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:36 AM
when you get a code violation you do get a fine ;)

as for the Duck being sportsmanlike for staying to watch Fish getting fried
he just wanted to see if the Aussie girls could catch and snog him :o

cheo23
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Well cheo.....some people can, some people can´t. I think in fact that if Serena had gone on a f-bomb tirade during her match against Jen, that she would have gotten a fine.
OH THe DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!!!! ITS so AnnoyinG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& People love J.Craps ATtitude when in fact she's the Bitchest Player On the tour..but they don't like SERENA's Attitude..or "Theres just something I don't like about SErena" comment...Am I missin Something? I can't STand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

azmad_88
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
lets talk about 2003

what do u guys think
which one....

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
OH THe DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!!!! ITS so AnnoyinG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& People love J.Craps ATtitude when in fact she's the Bitchest Player On the tour..but they don't like SERENA's Attitude..or "Theres just something I don't like about SErena" comment...Am I missin Something? I can't STand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Tjaaa....what can one say.

azmad_88
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
and il add anohter one

henin calling kim's shot at AO Finals
when everyone saw it on cam
the ball was in
so...henin shouldnt have done that to her country women
u have to play fair to win rite..
but good job henin

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:59 AM
and il add anohter one

the ball was in
but good job henin

and of course the hand job....

SJW
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
i think Rochus and Venus were outstanding in their behaviour :worship: Andy was cool but less so cuz Mardy is his best friend :)

still laughing about the Jennifer incident. the call is over for me...but trying to steal a point is still incredibly funny :lol: i wasn't even mad when i saw her do so, i was just waiting for her to get a code violation...Jen brings entertainment to the court, that's for sure.

"Sluggy"
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
mmmmm, interesting. I suppose i appreciate both sportsmanlike :) and unsportsmanlike :devil: behavior. I admire Jens trying to steal the point :rolleyes: as well as Rochus' giving a point back. :D Personally, i cant see myself ever giving a point back to a player that was ruled in my favour. I would give back a point on a score error though. :bounce:

tennischick
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:11 PM
what the Duck did had nothing to do with sportsmanship but instead reflected the closeness of his friendship with Mardy Fish. it therefore has not business being on any list of gestures of "sportmanship".

lukehingis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
Venus is so classy now! She has matured so much from the time she had the braids on!

As for jenn... she seems to use the f word alot!

switz
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
omg how american is that article. it's like "how great is andy roddick!! what a great sport!! he supported his best friend!!! it doesn't matter that he was bit cranky at the US Open."

roddick acted like the biggest child ever at the US Open more than one of his matches and most of the time for no apparent reason. i never disliked roddick but that tournament really made it too hard for me to support him.

lukehingis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
omg how american is that article. it's like "how great is andy roddick!! what a great sport!! he supported his best friend!!! it doesn't matter that he was bit cranky at the US Open."

roddick acted like the biggest child ever at the US Open more than one of his matches and most of the time for no apparent reason. i never disliked roddick but that tournament really made it too hard for me to support him.
maybe he was under alot of pressure as the defending champ??

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Venus :hearts:

Alves and Watts :fiery:

Patty :rolleyes:

Jen :rolleyes:

And the queen holds her throne :).

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
But I don´t really think him supporting Fish was the ultimate sign of sportsmanship....that´d be like giving Serena sportsmanship award for supporting Venus..

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Amy Frazier should be on here. Venus served an "ace" against her but it was called out, and Frazier then said "It was in."

Amy :worship:

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
O,I have the impression that everyone but Cappy's fans absolutely hate her attitude,so please don't be so hard on her or her fans. Even the less than perfect people need to be loved by somebody :p . As for Serena's attitude,well,her fans always claim that it's exemplary,so I ain't even supposed to understand what you are talking about :devil:. Besides,how well do we really know these people? If you were to spend a week with Capriati away from the tennis courts,chances are that she would turn out to be a much more likeable person than you think,and many of those "perfect nice girls" may very well be a pain in the you know what in real life. Who knows :confused:

Experimentee
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:28 PM
How is Roddick staying behind to support a friend good sportsmanship? More like being a good friend! And he was probably going to stay and lap up the Olympic atmosphere anywya. Do they really love Andy so much that they have to look for such lame excuses to put him on a sportsmanship list? :rolleyes:

vettipooh
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Serena should have been up there for sportsmanlike...she sure could have used the f word at the ump and Jen and walked off the court..but she didn't. She handled it very very well.Any other player would have certainly lost their cool in that 3rd set, withs so many bad calls.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
and il add anohter one

the ball was in
but good job henin
thats being unfair because even hawk-eye showed that it was REALLY close, like barely touching. some people say that it didnt even touch. and ANYONE would have questioned it. justine didn't even yell at the ump, she merely turned and asked the umpire. and its not like kim showed great sportsmanship when she accused justine of always taking injury time-outs. she didnt even defend justine when her father blatantly accused justine of taking performance enhancing drugs! of course, justine;s hand thing was not very sportsmanlike but u cant blame her for the AO cuz it was too close a call.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
When the umpire called the score wrong in jens match she wasn t trying to steal a point , she was in the match and getting tense and when heard the umpire correct herself she just let her anger out on her

yOU'RE RIGHT she also didn't inhale the pot, smack a bar patron, or shoplift...she was simply tyring to make smoke rings, comparing her tanned hands to the patrons face, and planned on returning the stolen items. :rolleyes: :confused:

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
How is Roddick staying behind to support a friend good sportsmanship? More like being a good friend! And he was probably going to stay and lap up the Olympic atmosphere anywya. Do they really love Andy so much that they have to look for such lame excuses to put him on a sportsmanship list? :rolleyes:FIrst of all, I don't know that there's that much of a friendship between Roddick and Fish, especially pre-Olympics. Second, tennis is an individual sport, except in 'team' competitions like the Olympics of Davis Cup. And what most players did after losing inthe Olympics was leave. It was, after all, a mid-seaon event for them, and they all had commitment elsewhere. Certainly Kristin Green wasn't the only person to note that Roddick to support Fish when others would not have. Third, maybe you ought to reverse your reasoning. Treat that as a DEMONSTRATION of good sportsmanship, and emulate it. If youplay in a tournament and lose early, and somebody else from your school or club or neighborhood is still in, hang out and root for them. NOT because their your friend, but because they represent, to an extent, the same interest you do. Seek out ways to display good sportsmanship, don't denigrate it. Lord knows there's not enough of it. One can't help contrasting Olivier Rochus and Jennifer Capriati.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
O my,what a criminal! :rolleyes: :yawn:

yOU'RE RIGHT she also didn't inhale the pot, smack a bar patron, or shoplift...she was simply tyring to make smoke rings, comparing her tanned hands to the patrons face, and planned on returning the stolen items. :rolleyes: :confused:

Allez-H
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
thats being unfair because even hawk-eye showed that it was REALLY close, like barely touching. some people say that it didnt even touch. and ANYONE would have questioned it. justine didn't even yell at the ump, she merely turned and asked the umpire. and its not like kim showed great sportsmanship when she accused justine of always taking injury time-outs. she didnt even defend justine when her father blatantly accused justine of taking performance enhancing drugs! of course, justine;s hand thing was not very sportsmanlike but u cant blame her for the AO cuz it was too close a call.
Look,if anyone had done it..it would be ok but this Justine we're talking about,ok?She's the devil in person,so...I think Justine should atleast get a nomination for this bad sportmanship-article.I mean this is a disgrace,this a badsportmanship-article and Justines name ins't mentioned once!!!Some journo is gonna get a very angry e-mail tonight :fiery:

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
FIrst of all, I don't know that there's that much of a friendship between Roddick and Fish, especially pre-Olympics. Second, tennis is an individual sport, except in 'team' competitions like the Olympics of Davis Cup. And what most players did after losing inthe Olympics was leave. It was, after all, a mid-seaon event for them, and they all had commitment elsewhere. Certainly Kristin Green wasn't the only person to note that Roddick to support Fish when others would not have. Third, maybe you ought to reverse your reasoning. Treat that as a DEMONSTRATION of good sportsmanship, and emulate it. If youplay in a tournament and lose early, and somebody else from your school or club or neighborhood is still in, hang out and root for them. NOT because their your friend, but because they represent, to an extent, the same interest you do. Seek out ways to display good sportsmanship, don't denigrate it. Lord knows there's not enough of it. One can't help contrasting Olivier Rochus and Jennifer Capriati.
i know its degenerating sportsmanship, but roddick and fish are best mates.and that if one player does this, others who attend eg: justine went to watch roger, kim watching lleyton...they should be credited as well...

i mean, i think ex is trying to say that they should give other examples of better sportsmanship, when on court itself. i think the amy example was good.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Look,if anyone had done it..it would be ok but this Justine we're talking about,ok?She's the devil in person,so...I think Justine should atleast get a nomination for this bad sportmanship-article.I mean this is a disgrace,this a badsportmanship-article and Justines name ins't mentioned once!!!Some journo is gonna get a very angry e-mail tonight :fiery:

:lol: You know what they say: Uit het oog, uit het hard....

vs1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Didn't the Duck and the Fish used to be roommates?! I'm pretty sure they are close.

I think Serena should have been on the list of "Sportsmanlike" as well. At the FO, again Kirilenko, when she was down in the 3rd set, a bad call was made against Kirilenko (I think to give Serena a break), and Serena conceded the point, stating that it was in. Another example of the beauty that is Babygirl!! :kiss:

tennischick
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:08 PM
FIrst of all, I don't know that there's that much of a friendship between Roddick and Fish, especially pre-Olympics. WRONG. The Duck and Fish have been best friends for years. Fish even lived with the Duck family for a year or so during high school. so Duckboy staying on at the Olympics has more to do with their friendship (which the original article mentions) than with sportsmanship. it's a stupid article actually. the writer was trying to add some originality to a topic that's been beaten to death -- and he failed miserably.

vogus
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:19 PM
'Cana, Fish and Roddick are probly the closest friends of any two leading U.S. men's players in history. Fish LIVED at Roddick's house in Boca Raton for a full year.

dansnewbeg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Nice article, but the Roddick one is overrated. He was planning on staying at the Olympics until that Tuesday anyway. he said so after he lost and before Mardy advanced to the medal round. He prepared beforehand to stay until the end of the tennis tournament no matter what.

And plus - it was the OLYMPICS! All the events to see and people he could meet... it's not like this was a huge sacrifice or anything to stay in Greece for a few more days.

I think Roddick's great as a person, but I just don't understand this bit of praise about him.

switz
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:07 AM
it's pretty obvious now that this women either wants roddick's babies or like volcana doesn't know that roddick wants to have mary fish' children

harloo
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:23 AM
good article besides the roddick bit.:rolleyes:

Beat
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:23 AM
In the third game of the final set, chair umpire Luann White erroneously called the score 30-30 when it should have been 40-15 for Dementieva. White quickly corrected her mistake to which Capriati yelled, "You can't change it now!" White explained she could indeed change the score, prompting Capriati to utter an expletive and White to issue a warning. Dementieva went on to win the match 7-6 in the third.

it wasn't quick at all, the players played one or two more points before white changed the score, so jen had every right to complain.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM
it wasn't quick at all, the players played one or two more points before white changed the score, so jen had every right to complain.

Jenn can't help but be a bit of a cheat, her dad's a shyster, she should dump him.

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:21 PM

:haha: :rolls: Did you watch the same match as everybody else?! :haha: :rolls:

Evelyn Tremble
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Gamesmanship cheating poor professionalism call it what you may but for me I think it’s coming more rife every year. I’m sick and tired of bathroom breaks - feigning injury and unsporting behaviour. Now we can all see when it occurs although some of us prefer not to acknowledge it concerns our favourites.
I have witnessed players (I’m not out to slam any specific player -because whether we like it or not this involves many players) blatantly knowing the ball landing in but yet when their opponent questioned the line call not having the decency to make a sporting gesture and agree with their fellow competitor.
We’ve all witnessed many players being down in a match then needing an injury time out or a bathroom break only then to miraculously overcome whatever condition they had previously 5-10 minutes ago. Those magic pills the WTA have are incredible.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Well,that sort of stuff happens in ANY sport. I don't see why tennis should be any different really. I understand that some people are upset about things like gamesmanship,or "cheating," but crude as it sounds,it's all part of competition at the highest level. Soccer players make offside goals all the time,sprinters false start in an attempt to get an edge on their opponents,boxers punch on the back of the head or below the belt,basketball players trash talk to intimidate players from the other team,etc....And let's not even get into the corruption in sports that depend on judges to decide the winner,let alone doping. In short,gamesmanship and "cheating" (or "being smart," depending on your point of view) is here to stay,and we will never be able to get rid of it.

Gamesmanship cheating poor professionalism call it what you may but for me I think it’s coming more rife every year. I’m sick and tired of bathroom breaks - feigning injury and unsporting behaviour. Now we can all see when it occurs although some of us prefer not to acknowledge it concerns our favourites.
I have witnessed players (I’m not out to slam any specific player -because whether we like it or not this involves many players) blatantly knowing the ball landing in but yet when their opponent questioned the line call not having the decency to make a sporting gesture and agree with their fellow competitor.
We’ve all witnessed many players being down in a match then needing an injury time out or a bathroom break only then to miraculously overcome whatever condition they had previously 5-10 minutes ago. Those magic pills the WTA have are incredible.